Song selection

oman777oman777 Unsigned
edited November 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
I was just wondering is it just me or does it piss you off that they picked the rascal flatts version of life is a highway over the tom cochrane original version. This was my favorite song but I just think rascal flatts totally messed it up.

Comments

• SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that version was picked instead because of two reasons:

1. They were licensing Rascal Flatts anyway with Me And My Gang
    2. It's the version a lot of kids would recognize due to being in the movie Cars
  • oman777oman777 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Yeah that does make sense I have seen some rascal flatts dlc before lego rock band. But still I was hoping since they did a few songs that were covers like this they may come out with the original. Like a couple of the rush songs.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I actually prefer the Rascal Flatts version myself.
    edited November 2009
    oman777;3260186 said:
    Yeah that does make sense I have seen some rascal flatts dlc before lego rock band. But still I was hoping since they did a few songs that were covers like this they may come out with the original. Like a couple of the rush songs.
    Official covers are a LOT DIFFERENT than in house covers. We've gotten quite a few of both. Before this one we've had Smooth Criminal and Kids in America.
    (There are more but those are the first few that show up in people's minds)
    edited November 2009
    Kids in America was a cover really? Then again the first time I heard it was shortly after I bought rb2.
    edited November 2009
    Also do you mean some covers are more like tributes where others are remakings of songs? Is that what you mean by in house and official?
  • grim88grim88 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Summertime Blues, Train Kept a Rollin'....there's been a bunch.

Lego Rock Band has quite a few covers all on it's own.

Personally, I would have much prefered the original of Life is a Highway.
    edited November 2009
    oman777;3260458 said:
    Also do you mean some covers are more like tributes where others are remakings of songs? Is that what you mean by in house and official?
    Official - When a real band obtains rights to a song and recreates it.

In house - When a company cannot obtain the master tracks, so they contact a false audio group band (I believe they're called Wavegroup) to cover the song as closely as they can.
  • XacharyCrossXacharyCross Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3260250 said:
    Official covers are a LOT DIFFERENT than in house covers. We've gotten quite a few of both. Before this one we've had Smooth Criminal and Kids in America.
    (There are more but those are the first few that show up in people's minds)
    I'd think Ring of Fire would show up in most people's minds first.

While I can't stand the version in the game myself, it's probably the kid familiarity from the movie, and to try put a country song on the disc. Or in charting terms, the fact it has a guitar solo (Tom Cochrane's original has a harmonica solo).
  • whalercaneswhalercanes Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    oman777;3260038 said:
    I was just wondering is it just me or does it piss you off that they picked the rascal flatts version of life is a highway over the tom cochrane original version. This was my favorite song but I just think rascal flatts totally messed it up.
    No it does not "piss" me off. I would have prefered the Cochrane version myself (and a bunch of his other stuff too), but when playing the game with my 5 year old son, he said "Oooh, the song from Cars, lets play that one!"
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I would have preferred the original version myself, but the song is just so much fun. Better the version we got than none at all. :cool: