Sgt. Pepper DLC Was Worth The Wait

Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
edited December 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Wow. A great game just got better. Thank you, Harmonix, for doing such a great job. Every one of these songs is a blast and the new tracks contain elements that totally surprised me. I love it all, but my favorites are:

A Day In the Life. Holy cow. Moody, somber, and then startlingly beautiful. I wondered how the orchestral build-up would be handled, and I've never been so caught up emotionally while playing a music game: It's unsettling and exhilarating at the same time (I played bass). Perfect and effective. And that final chord with the simple, effective image that accompanies it...Awesome.

She's Leaving Home. Besides the surprising fun of playing a string instrument part, I suddenly realized that I've never seen video game figures expressing emotions so vividly and believably. The in-game Beatles have shown emotion well before throughout the game, but this track takes it to a whole new level. A great, great visualiztion of the song.

When I'm Sixty Four. I've always had the film version (Yellow Submarine) of this song stuck in my mind, and wondered how the game's Dreamscape would handle it. I figured clocks or white-haired Beatles and was happy to be wrong. This staging is surprising, funny, and very effective.

Lovely Rita and the Pepper Reprise: Just plain fun to play...over and over and over.

Thanks again, Harmonix. I can't wait for Rubber Soul! :)

Comments

• instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Fixing a Hole also had a very nice dreamscape. Playing guitar/vocals (voxtar) for A Day in the Life might be the best experience I've ever had with a rhythm game.
    MostSpartan14;3260902 said:
    I've always been looking forward to Rubber Soul the most but this just made the wait even harder and now I know it will be soo much better than I think it will be. It won't need dreamscapes to be awesome and I'm kind of looking forward to going back to live songs because it is my favorite era of the Beatles career.
    Some of them will have dreamscapes, like Norwegian Wood.
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I know. It's amazing. A masterpiece of gaming and possibly the apex of a genre that too often sacrifices art for gameplay.

I agree with the other commenters, it made me like Sergeant Pepper, an album I've often considered overrated, quite a bit more. Somehow I now GET something I never really got before, and I've listened to the album MANY, many times. I never thought that was even a possibility.
  • Twon58Twon58 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    this is when it really hurts to have PS3. The two days where i read how amazing the DLC is and i cant experience it for two days. Which makes Tuesdays and Wednesdays suck, but Thursdays all the better because i get excited for the DLC and the wait is over. From what ive read this is gonna be incredible. And after watching the trailer i was so excited for it i got really sad and anxious that i cant get it for two more days. im happy you're enjoying it, and thursday cant come sooner for me.
  • edited November 2009
    I found the album very artsy... in a good way.

Even the non-guitar charted to guitar parts seemed to fit in well. Since the venues and themes of the game are more abstract it seems like you get away with more creative liberty in that regard.

The only downside to the album is that I feel spoiled by the Abbey Road Medley. I had a whim to play the whole Pepper album in a continuous, non-interrupted flow, but there was no such option. (Yes, I know you can build a setlist in quickplay, but it's not the same!)
  • MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I loved the Sgt. Peppers DLC. I'll be honest, as huge of a Beatles fan I am (just check out my Last.fm), I think Sgt. Peppers is overrated. Still great, but like others, I'm more excited for Rubber Soul and was more excited for Abbey Road.

But just singing these songs (that's all i've had time for so far) was so much fun. I am far more impressed with these dreamscapes than the Abbey Road ones. Loved how A Day in the Life was done, same with She's Leaving Home, and Fixing A Hole has beautiful colors and designs.

God I hope it doesn't end with Rubber Soul.......
  • mayhem117mayhem117 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Oh MY GOD! I really want to play it! I had my points all saved up and everything for a month.I wake up this morning trying to snag a free album code (no luck) and around noon finally give up and decide I'll just buy sgt. pepper already and hey i'll buy abbey road as well! Tonight sure is going to be fun I say. I go to turn on my xbox but only thing is it isn't turning on! I look at the power brick and the light isn't on and everything is plugged in. Find out that the fuse blew and I spent the day trying to fix it. just now after putting it all back together I plug it into the wall and BANG it shorts out. talk about crap luck now I have to wait to get another one. Someone must really not want me to play these albums :(
    On another note I watched a Day In the Life on youtube and it really is amazing!
  • onidragononidragon Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    The end to Day in the Life is almost exactly how I pictured it (a haphazard, slightly frightening run through of the band's imagery, only this time it was limited to just Sgt. Pepper dreamscapes.)
  • WildSubnetWildSubnet Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I'd have to agree. I can't get over how awesome the album is to play. The only quibble...the opening notes of Reprise aren't charted!!! Oh well, everything else...superb.

My son and I goldstarred Lucy, too while playing. My first Beatles Gold Star...
  • mclumpomclumpo Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    WildSubnet;3261130 said:
    I'd have to agree. I can't get over how awesome the album is to play. The only quibble...the opening notes of Reprise aren't charted!!! Oh well, everything else...superb.

My son and I goldstarred Lucy, too while playing. My first Beatles Gold Star...
    Congrats!!!!

Gold stars are the shizzle.

Here's to many more.
  • jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    "A Day in the Life" is absolutely amazing.
  • RADIO CHRISRADIO CHRIS Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Pepper was a well made DLC
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    My wife and I downloaded the album last night and played through it. I utterly loved every minute and every aspect of it (well...except for the continuing problem of missing notes when Beatlemania is activated because I can't see them).
  • rockfresh126rockfresh126 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Even if I'm of the opinion Sgt. Peppers is an overrated album (and by that I mean overrated by the Beatles standards, not everyone else's), it was still a thoroughly enjoyable album to download. I gained a new appreciation for a few of the songs (She's Leaving Home), and ADITL is freaking awesome. My sole complaint? Within You Without You continues my theory of Harrison's Beatles contributions being incredibly overrated (I like the on disc version version with Tomorrow Never Knows soooo much better).
  • mysfarbrormysfarbror Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    within you without you is probably the best song on sgt pepper, cept for a day in the life
  • ErniewanErniewan Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I had the songs in my head all day at work! Beatles Rock Band is an absolutely essential experience for every Beatles fan who wants to enjoy the albums to their fullest.

And yeah, I never really appreciated WYWY and was even thinking about not getting the DLC, but I'm glad did because it was so fun.

Also, I'm glad they charted clarinet to guitar for 64, it made it more fitting and fun. Though I'm one of those who don't really care which instrument is charted to guitar as long as it's the most fun.
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    rockfresh126;3261683 said:
    My sole complaint? Within You Without You continues my theory of Harrison's Beatles contributions being incredibly overrated (I like the on disc version version with Tomorrow Never Knows soooo much better).
    And yet, at his peak, he wrote some of the group's best songs (Something, WMGGW, Here Comes the Sun, I Need You). Not a huge number, but unique and powerful. I'm personally not a huge fan of WYWY (love it in the game, though), but there's certainly nothing else like it. :)
    edited November 2009
    Rich T.;3262337 said:
    And yet, at his peak, he wrote some of the group's best songs (Something, WMGGW, Here Comes the Sun, I Need You). Not a huge number, but unique and powerful. I'm personally not a huge fan of WYWY (love it in the game, though), but there's certainly nothing else like it. :)
    Here's the thing with WMGGW....I do like the acoustic version of it, but almost everyone associated with the song has pretty much labeled it as "meh" until Clapton got ahold of it. And let's not forget the craptastic song that is Piggies
  • rad5brandonrad5brandon Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    rockfresh126;3262428 said:
    And let's not forget the craptastic song that is Piggies
    You take that back, right now.
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I used to think Within You Without You was "long and boring" in my youth, but I wised up and eventually recognized it as one of the best songs on Sgt. Pepper's
    And let's not forget the craptastic song that is Piggies

Piggies is better than While My Guitar Gently Weeps and is one of Harrison's best songs
    edited November 2009
    Here's the thing with WMGGW....I do like the acoustic version of it, but almost everyone associated with the song has pretty much labeled it as "meh" until Clapton got ahold of it. And let's not forget the craptastic song that is Piggies
    I don't remember the story exactly now but Clapton being there was a big FU to Paul...something he said he to George.
    edited November 2009
    chumsicles;3262918 said:
    I used to think Within You Without You was "long and boring" in my youth, but I wised up and eventually recognized it as one of the best songs on Sgt. Pepper's

Piggies is better than While My Guitar Gently Weeps and is one of Harrison's best songs
    Let's not go crazy here. WMGGW is a great song. Probably the best of the "demos" off of Anthology and there is a reason why that alternate track made it on Love. Hindsight is 20/20, but speeding up Revolution was the right call and speeding up WMGGW was not (as much as I like the Clapton solos and all...the acoustic is better).

Piggies is fun and I love the Live in Japan version of it, but one of his best songs?
    edited November 2009
    Rich T.;3262337 said:
    Abbeyroad was certainly a better album because of his contributions. Paul and John thought so too. Harrison came into his own as a songwriter during that period...you can hear it all over ATMP (underneath that Wall of Sound).
  • west siidewest siide Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    How about that Within You Without You dreamscape? It made me literally want to put the instrument down and watch it...and that's high praise considering how much I loved all the earlier dreamscapes.

Whoever put together the dreamscapes for WYWY should be commended!

And Mr. Kite kicked my butt on guitar. That solo was insane!
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    west siide;3263011 said:

And Mr. Kite kicked my butt on guitar. That solo was insane!
    True that. I damn near failed out, and that's never happened to me in this game before
    WildSubnet;3262981 said:
    Let's not go crazy here. WMGGW is a great song. Probably the best of the "demos" off of Anthology and there is a reason why that alternate track made it on Love. Hindsight is 20/20, but speeding up Revolution was the right call and speeding up WMGGW was not (as much as I like the Clapton solos and all...the acoustic is better).

Piggies is fun and I love the Live in Japan version of it, but one of his best songs?
    As beautiful as the demo version of Gently Weeps is, I think they definitely made the right call speeding it up and fleshing it out. Gives it a sort of grandiose feeling of disparity. Leaving it as is would have made it sound incomplete

Piggies is absolutely hilarious with a fantastic "British" sounding melody and is one of Harrison's songs that I find myself listening to over and over, more so than others.
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    chumsicles;3263020 said:
    Piggies is absolutely hilarious with a fantastic "British" sounding melody and is one of Harrison's songs that I find myself listening to over and over, more so than others.
    The only thing I don't like about Piggies is that, considering the themes of peace and tolerance in Harrison's other material, it's pretty mean-spirited...the kind of simplistic class stereotyping you'd get from a much younger, less experienced songwriter. That said, it is hilarious, especially the vocals in the last verse. The fact that we're talking about it 41 years after it debuted proves it's memorable.
    edited November 2009
    Rich T.;3264167 said:
    The only thing I don't like about Piggies is that, considering the themes of peace and tolerance in Harrison's other material, it's pretty mean-spirited...the kind of simplistic class stereotyping you'd get from a much younger, less experienced songwriter. That said, it is hilarious, especially the vocals in the last verse. The fact that we're talking about it 41 years after it debuted proves it's memorable.
    Mr. Harrison knew how to throw down in a song. There's numerous examples of this throughout his career. I don't know about mean-spirited though. Usually there's a tongue-in-cheek element there as well. I'll have to go listen to piggies again.
  • SuperMaxVSuperMaxV Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Wow, Day in the Life is awesome!!!!!
  • esquehillesquehill Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Fixing A Hole, while such a simple song... is STUCK in my head!
    edited November 2009
    Rich T.;3264167 said:
    Just remember...this is the same guy who wrote Taxman. He wasn't exactly afraid to throw a stone or two
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I'm glad to see it's getting positive [mini-]reviews. :) This album definitely wasn't as hyped as Abbey Road, but I'm definitely interested right now.

What's the album like for drums?