QUEEN DLC BLOCKED - Possible Reason!

MrHartgraveMrHartgrave Road Warrior
edited January 2010 in LEGO: Rock Band
The Queen,Bowie, Blur, Spinal Tap, or Iggy Pop mini-figs or the ability to play their DLC in custom setlists CANNOT be unlocked.
steeevj;3461645 said:
The latest LEGO Rock Band patch (apparently released 1/26/2010 for the PS3) fixes the issue -- I can now play the family-friendly Queen and Spinal Tap downloaded content in career mode! WooHoo! :D

Plus the game no longer locks up after the final rock power challenge...
Anyone who claims this is possible should provide proof...I have completed EVERY gig in the game, this includes beating all of the Queen challenges and the songs are still blocked and the QUEEN,ect. minifigures were not unlocked to be bought in the store.
Mentski;3291111 said:
On the subject of unlocking the Queen/Bowie/Blur/Iggy/Spinal Tap figures, here is a post made by "NiceMissMayonnaise" on Kotaku.com, who appears to be someone who worked in some capacity on Lego Rock Band for TT Games, the post is in reference to the recent legal proceedings being taken out on Activision:

http://kotaku.com/5397223/no-doubt-sues-activision-over-band-hero-likeness-%5Bupdate%5D#c16541625

"Just as well this all came up before we finished LEGO Rock Band - I don't think it's clear whether we thought we could use likenesses throughout the game, or just for the songs they sing, but beforehand all the likeness characters had their parts available in the customisation builder. Now? Queen sing Queen songs, Blur Blur etc, each band to their own songs and that's it."
I now feel it is obvious that they will NOT be trying to sell us the Queen MiniFigures or the ability to use Queen songs in Custom SetLists.

Also worth noting is if you play the Queen DLC in FreePlay mode you will be playing as Queen. I figure this must be the bit of programming that went all screwey in the Story Mode. I FIRMLY believe that not being able to select the Queen.ect. DLC in custom setlist is a BUG. Hopefully there will be a patch for this...

Comments

• UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    This poll needs an option that says, "This notion is ridiculous and doesn't even merit an opinion, much less the creation of a new poll on the questionable basis of someone who was sure they have unlocked everything but clearly did not."
  • MrHartgraveMrHartgrave Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Ultrace;3262537 said:
    This poll needs an option that says, "This notion is ridiculous and doesn't even merit an opinion, much less the creation of a new poll on the questionable basis of someone who was sure they have unlocked everything but clearly did not."
    Maybe I jumped the gun a bit...but I really can't seem to get a clear answer here on my question and I have been asking it for a few days now...I thought it was clear that the minifigures were not unlockable, perhaps in light of the recent Cobain BS in GH5...

BTW, I will unlock the rest of the game in a day or two and update my OP so other people wont have to wander around searching for the reason why all of their Queen DLC is blocked out when they go to make a custom set list...

Can you at least see that this is a odd thing to do to the gamer without explaining why?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited November 2009
    MrHartgrave;3262607 said:
    Can you at least see that this is a odd thing to do to the gamer without explaining why?
    It's quite a huge jump from "this is an odd thing to do" over to "ZOMG they did it just to grab more cash from us!!11!eleven".
    edited November 2009
    davidshek;3262891 said:
    It's quite a huge jump from "this is an odd thing to do" over to "ZOMG they did it just to grab more cash from us!!11!eleven".
    Well, I will state for the record that I'm not sleeping much anymore these days (2 newborn girls at home)...and really, no one has confirmed Queen being unlockable and the DLC being available for custom set lists yet to my satisfaction...I should be able to figure it out for myself in a day or two...but I figured I would have unlocked it by now since I have beat all but two of the challenges and they arent even Queen related, but hey, it's been said by two people here that it can be done...so I am retracting my statements...for now...:P

I just feel that LEGO is a greedy company that doesn't care about children...the DLC filtering makes no sense at all, there are songs on the disc that just as objectionable as what was banned in DLC if not MORE so...it seems that big contracts like Korn, Tom Petty, and Jimi Hendrix were more important than protecting children from "objectionable" material.

That being said, I don't find any of the songs on disc to be "bad for kids"...well maybe Korn...do you know what that song is about? :P...but I think they should have used the same guidelines for the DLC as they did for what was included on disc...
  • CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    When you play the Bowie Challenge, you don't unlock his minifig for you to use in your band. You just unlock the songs. I'm on the last venue, and still haven't played We Are the Champions. I'm assuming that, once I do, I'll be able to play the Queen songs. At least, I hope that's what happens.

Lego had about as much to do with this game as I did, by the way. They also have nothing to do with the filter.

Word Up! is a cover of a 23 year old song. That's the song you decided to pick on? Hmm...
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited November 2009
    MrHartgrave;3262989 said:
    Well, I will state for the record that I'm not sleeping much anymore these days (2 newborn girls at home)...and really, no one has confirmed Queen being unlockable and the DLC being available for custom set lists yet to my satisfaction...I should be able to figure it out for myself in a day or two...but I figured I would have unlocked it by now since I have beat all but two of the challenges and they arent even Queen related, but hey, it's been said by two people here that it can be done...so I am retracting my statements...for now...:P

I just feel that LEGO is a greedy company that doesn't care about children...the DLC filtering makes no sense at all, there are songs on the disc that just as objectionable as what was banned in DLC if not MORE so...it seems that big contracts like Korn, Tom Petty, and Jimi Hendrix were more important than protecting children from "objectionable" material.

That being said, I don't find any of the songs on disc to be "bad for kids"...well maybe Korn...do you know what that song is about? :P...but I think they should have used the same guidelines for the DLC as they did for what was included on disc...
    It's not necessarily what the song is about, but what kids can INTERPRET it to be.

For example, "Fire", 99.9% of kids playing the game won't get that it's a pretty sexually charged song because it's not right out there sexual in nature. It's easy enough once you get a little older to pick out what people are really singing about, but not so much when you're a kid.

The best examples I can come up with illustrating this point are from my own childhood, listening to 45's. My parents had the 45's for The Who's "Squeeze Box" and Ringo Starr's "No, No, No Song". Myself and my two sisters all listened to these 45s day in and day out, not realizing at all that they were about sex and drugs respectively. They were just silly songs to listen to and sing along with.

It wasn't until we became teenagers that we began to see the meaning behind the silly lyrics.

"Fire", "Word Up!" and "Free Falling" are all singable songs for kids who do not know to look beyond the words at face value.
  • ShoTTySLanKiNShoTTySLanKiN Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I'll tell you what I'd buy. An actual collectors set of Queen Minifigs.
    edited November 2009
    CONAN9845;3264389 said:
    When you play the Bowie Challenge, you don't unlock his minifig for you to use in your band. You just unlock the songs. I'm on the last venue, and still haven't played We Are the Champions. I'm assuming that, once I do, I'll be able to play the Queen songs. At least, I hope that's what happens.

Lego had about as much to do with this game as I did, by the way. They also have nothing to do with the filter....
    This is just not true...I have done all of the Bowie and Queen challenges and I still can't make custom setlists with their DLC, I can with the ON DISC songs...NOT the DLC...

I'm sure LEGO had a say in the content of the game and I'm guessing that is where the wacked out censorship came from...
    edited November 2009
    whofan;3264482 said:
    It's not necessarily what the song is about, but what kids can INTERPRET it to be.

"Fire", "Word Up!" and "Free Falling" are all singable songs for kids who do not know to look beyond the words at face value.
    I AGREE, now why can't I play "Don't Stop Believing", "When You Were Young", "Mississippi Queen", ect...
    edited November 2009
    MrHartgrave;3264774 said:
    I AGREE, now why can't I play "Don't Stop Believing", "When You Were Young", "Mississippi Queen", ect...
    Mississippi Queen mentions drinking alcohol (wine); it's also presumably the reason we can't play Less Talk More Rokk (mention of the keg of PBR.)
  • BullseyeBullseye Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Not sure why this Queen DLC is still a mystery. Some people say you unlock songs and mini-figs and others say it ain't so. I haven't completed the game, so I have no idea other than I can't make a custom setlist in story mode with Queen or Bowie DLC. My theory is that they were blocking the ability to play non-Queen songs with the Queen figs and overlooked that the other Queen songs got blocked in the process. But, really, can some one confirm the whether these two items are possible:

1. Unlockable Queen,Bowie, Blur, Spinal Tap, or Iggy Pop mini-figs
    2. Unlockable "grayed out" songs from DLC list
    edited November 2009
    Bullseye;3265485 said:
    Not sure why this Queen DLC is still a mystery. Some people say you unlock songs and mini-figs and others say it ain't so. I haven't completed the game, so I have no idea other than I can't make a custom setlist in story mode with Queen or Bowie DLC. My theory is that they were blocking the ability to play non-Queen songs with the Queen figs and overlooked that the other Queen songs got blocked in the process. But, really, can some one confirm the whether these two items are possible:

1. Unlockable Queen,Bowie, Blur, Spinal Tap, or Iggy Pop mini-figs
    2. Unlockable "grayed out" songs from DLC list
    I am just going to take your post and put it in the OP...I have tried many times to get along with the people here and I am without fail attacked EVERY damn time I try to start a thread...perhaps they will listen to you...
    edited November 2009
    MrHartgrave;3267618 said:
    I am just going to take your post and put it in the OP...I have tried many times to get along with the people here and I am without fail attacked EVERY damn time I try to start a thread...perhaps they will listen to you...
    Well, editing the OP makes it difficult to quote bits that were mildly inflammatory and near-insulting of Harmonix with no basis since you were absolutely convinced you had unlocked everything even though you hadn't even played all the sets in the game. Unfounded accusatory posts rarely go over well in most places, and this is no exception.
    edited November 2009
    Ultrace;3267629 said:
    Well, editing the OP makes it difficult to quote bits that were mildly inflammatory and near-insulting of Harmonix with no basis since you were absolutely convinced you had unlocked everything even though you hadn't even played all the sets in the game. Unfounded accusatory posts rarely go over well in most places, and this is no exception.
    Just can't let it rest can you? I have edited to OP in the hopes that people like you would stop bashing on me and so that maybe someone with some REAL information can step up and comment...so far, my "original" OP got 2 people to step up and claim (without ANY kind of evidence or proof) that the Queen, ect. minifigures can be unlocked and the extra DLC CAN be used in Custom Setlist...instead of getting all stubborn and insisting that I had all of the answers I changed the OP to avoid argument, WTF are you doing?

For the record, I have NOTHING against HMX and I'm sure this has NOTHING to do with them...if it turns out that they are the evil masterminds behind the whole thing I will be truly shocked...

All I would like is the answer to the questions in the new OP...who really cares what I may have said in a sleep deprived stupor?
  • Erikus MaximusErikus Maximus Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    The figs aren't unlockable a la Kurt Cobain from GH5 (my assumption). However, I believe there is a legitimate question here regarding the greyed out DLC.

A lot of DLC (most?) is blocked due to the filtering. Fine. I respect that. They don't even appear in the game. However, one of the Bowie tracks (Heroes) and one track from Queen that I've downloaded (Crazy Little Thing Called Love), [I]does[I] show up on the DLC list, however, they are greyed out.

My speculation is that I can't play 'em because they didn't program David Bowie and Queen minifigs to play those songs...hmmmm....it sounded good in my head. Not so much now but you never know....
    edited November 2009
    Erikus Maximus;3267851 said:

My speculation is that I can't play 'em because they didn't program David Bowie and Queen minifigs to play those songs...hmmmm....it sounded good in my head. Not so much now but you never know....
    Yea, you see...that was my problem too...I mean you can make a cross dressing vampire freak Lego Minifigure sing Lets Dance or We Will Rock You...or really any of the DLC as well...you just can't make a custom Set List...WHY? :P
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    MrHartgrave;3267641 said:
    All I would like is the answer to the questions in the new OP...who really cares what I may have said in a sleep deprived stupor?
    Making dramatic edits to the OP only serves to make others look bad as the quotes they now reference no longer exists. Which makes it appear that an expected response to an accusatory post is instead a flaming post to something that was never said.

Also, if you repeatedly say stupid things when your sleep deprived, maybe you should exercise some self-control and not post while in those states?
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3268551 said:
    Making dramatic edits to the OP only serves to make others look bad as the quotes they now reference no longer exists. Which makes it appear that an expected response to an accusatory post is instead a flaming post to something that was never said.
    I edited the OP due to off-topic posts like yours getting away from the focus of what I would like to do with this thread...I want to know WHY the Queen DLC cannot be used in custom setlists. I would also like to know if the Queen, ect. minifigures can be unlocked. Then I would like to share that information with the rest of the board and actually contribute something here.
    edited November 2009
    Ultrace;3265352 said:
    Mississippi Queen mentions drinking alcohol (wine); it's also presumably the reason we can't play Less Talk More Rokk (mention of the keg of PBR.)
    But we can play Smash It Up Part 2...

"Stick your frothy lager"...not only does this imply sticking something up someones arse, but it is a reference to a alcoholic beverage...
  • Dino1626Dino1626 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    To the OP:

With all the threads popping up on this subject, and no concrete evidence to point to anything, here is my suggestion. Send an e-mail to HMX, or message one of the Devs on these boards. Send an e-mail to TT. Request an explanation for why things are the way they are, and wait for a response. The only thing that your going to get on the boards is FHM, and mass speculation. If you want an answer, go to the people that have the answer. Of course, this is only my $.02.

Feel free to ignore the above post if you feel the need.
    edited November 2009
    Dino1626;3268902 said:
    To the OP:

With all the threads popping up on this subject, and no concrete evidence to point to anything, here is my suggestion. Send an e-mail to HMX, or message one of the Devs on these boards. Send an e-mail to TT. Request an explanation for why things are the way they are, and wait for a response. The only thing that your going to get on the boards is FHM, and mass speculation. If you want an answer, go to the people that have the answer. Of course, this is only my $.02.

Feel free to ignore the above post if you feel the need.
    I would be waiting for a VERY long time...I was kind of hoping that one of the guys who said they unlocked the MiniFigures and the DLC would step up with some proof or at least to confirm that they knew what the hell they were talking about...or someone who has completed the game 100% and can confirm that they were full of **** so I can get back to my speculations...hopefully over the weekend I can complete the damn game 100% and get to the bottom of this...now if only the last 4 gigs weren't glitched...:P
  • leob5622leob5622 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    ShoTTySLanKiN;3264487 said:
    I'll tell you what I'd buy. An actual collectors set of Queen Minifigs.
    This and some stage or vehicle sets

I'm not crazy about using the minifigs in game, so frankly I don't care.
    Although, I am upset, not being able to play some songs that the filter allows, except at random.
    edited November 2009
    kennethv;3262310 said:
    Actually, he's right. I had asked about the Queen/Bowie tracks yesterday and got the same answer. Sure enough, I unlocked Bowie's minifig as well as the Bowie tracks that were grayed out before. Perhaps, you should stop jumping to conclusions about conspiracies before you're absolutely sure.
    You did not...you are a liar...well...ok, that was unfair...you just were not being clear. What you meant to say was that you unlocked the Queen,ect. DLC in FreePlay and that when you play Queen,ect. songs in FreePlay mode you will play with the Queen,ect. MiniFigures and that this can only be done once you beat the Queen,ect. challenges in the Story Mode...this is not what I was reffering to in the OP, but I thank you for your post, I appreciate you providing me with a valid reason to further explore the game in search of why the DLC in Custom Setlists was greyed out. I now feel that I have that answer, thank you.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited November 2009
    MrHartgrave;3272412 said:
    You did not...you are a liar...
    Brilliant way of getting people to stop rallying against you, really. I applaud your social skills.

If you really want people to address the issue at hand you have to:
    1) Not post stupid, inflammitory comments in your OP (I saw it before you conveniently edited it to make yourself look more like a victim of mindless trolling)
    2) Ask your questions directly (i.e. "Does anyone know why the Queen/Bowie Tracks are greyed out in quickplay?")
    3) Don't call those who offer up an explanation liars, ESPECIALLY if their advice is exactly what you have to do.
    4) Don't continually try to play a victim, when you are throwing out as many insults as others here
    and
    5) Don't claim to have done something you haven't. You haven't completed the game yet, and thus you don't know what happens when you do. For all you know those songs could very easily become open upon completion of the game.

So, here's my suggestion. Maybe stop posting insults here, get some sleep and then maybe try finishing the game to see what happens. IF things aren't unlocked then, THEN you can come back and accuse those posters of lying.
    edited November 2009
    whofan;3275953 said:

5) Don't claim to have done something you haven't. You haven't completed the game yet, and thus you don't know what happens when you do. For all you know those songs could very easily become open upon completion of the game.

So, here's my suggestion. Maybe stop posting insults here, get some sleep and then maybe try finishing the game to see what happens. IF things aren't unlocked then, THEN you can come back and accuse those posters of lying.
    That is just what I did...I only posted that AFTER beating the ENTIRE GAME, and my responce to the "liar"...I will now be changing the OP AGAIN...I think I figured out why the DLC is blocked...once again, instead of beating up on me could we instead explore the reasons why the Queen DLC is blocked out in Custom Setlists?
  • raahsnavjraahsnavj Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    No, why would I pay for virtual clothes, action figures, or items.

Songs, sure, they actually mean something in the game. The other stuff, is just fluff I'm not really paying attention to anyhow as I listen to the songs and play to.
    edited November 2009
    raahsnavj;3279767 said:
    No, why would I pay for virtual clothes, action figures, or items.
    That was kind of my reasoning behind why I first though the Queen DLC was blocked from Custom Setlists...ya know to get people to buy it bundled with the MiniFigs...but is seems much more possible that the DLC being greyed out when going to make a Custom SetList is simply a bug...
  • MentskiMentski Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    On the subject of unlocking the Queen/Bowie/Blur/Iggy/Spinal Tap figures, here is a post made by "NiceMissMayonnaise" on Kotaku.com, who appears to be someone who worked in some capacity on Lego Rock Band for TT Games, the post is in reference to the recent legal proceedings being taken out on Activision:

http://kotaku.com/5397223/no-doubt-sues-activision-over-band-hero-likeness-%5Bupdate%5D#c16541625
    Just as well this all came up before we finished LEGO Rock Band - I don't think it's clear whether we thought we could use likenesses throughout the game, or just for the songs they sing, but beforehand all the likeness characters had their parts available in the customisation builder. Now? Queen sing Queen songs, Blur Blur etc, each band to their own songs and that's it.
    As to why DLC by the "star" bands stays greyed out in story mode, yet the songs you play with them from the LRB disc become unlockable to play (albeit being played by your regular band).... That remains a mystery. Maybe it is a bug, and is supposed to ungrey after you've played with the band in question.

Seems all OK in Free Play, though.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    It makes sense; with the whole Kurt Cobain thing, it seems that they decided to take out the unlockable minifigs, but due to the last-minute nature they didn't have time to solve the problem of unlocking their songs. Further evidence is that in the DS version you can unlock costumes of the guest stars, and build a character using their parts.
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the informative post Mentski, I think I will steal it for the OP. :)