Metalcharter presents...

metalchartermetalcharter Unsigned
edited January 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Hey folks

I'm new to the Rock Band forums, but have been an active poster/player in the GH/RB community since the beginning, and I'm very pleased to be able to make this my first post :)

I've spent some time approaching bands/record labels about RBN, and have had a few nibbles, and one or two bites. Basically, my goal is to share some of the great, less well-known heavy metal bands with the Rock Band community, and have the name "MetalCharter" be synonymous with quality music, quality charts, and a fist-pumping good time for all fans of the darker, heavier side of metal!!!!

Right now I am in various stages of negotiations with different bands, and I will be making several announcements in the near future. However, to whet your appetites as to what to expect from MetalCharter in the future, I am proud to present to you this preview of one of my favorite bands :

The Project Hate MCMXCIX : Descend into the Eternal Pit of Possession
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6vEkdwYzIA

I'm really excited to be bringing their music to the RBN (hopefully shortly after beta opens up, and I can actually get the completed chart submitted for approval :)).

I unfortunately had to eliminate some of the double bass, but other than that, the chart should be pretty much intact, and is a blast to play. Clocking in at 09:59, it certainly is going to be a test of both endurance and concentration.

I have just received the tracks for my second chart, but don't want to make any announcements yet until all the contractual stuff is a done deal. I can also almost confirm that Rock Band will finally have some tr00 black metal in the very near future, which is something I personally have been waiting for since the inception of the genre!

OK - hope I haven't overstayed my welcome, and that this isn't something of an obnoxious first post - I will check back periodically to reply to any questions anyone may have.

/M\
David (MetalCharter)

Comments

  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited November 2009
    metalcharter;3265175 said:
    Rock Band will finally have some tr00 black metal in the very near future
    you should just spill the beans on whom.
  • metalchartermetalcharter Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Oscar-Rio;3265343 said:
    you should just spill the beans on whom.
    Believe me, I'd love to, but I don't want to get peoples hopes up until the wheels are formally in motion, although right now it seems that there is about a 90% chance that it will happen.

    I can tell you that it will be two tracks by two different bands, one of which is atmospheric and mid-tempo, and the other being more on the frenetic tremolo picking side of things.
  • JesusSilencioJesusSilencio Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    metalcharter;3265303 said:
    I charted it as triplets on purpose - since we're screwing with the drum charts anyhow in removing the double bass, I decided to make it triplets since the cymbal/snare hits are only on the beat, so triplets work just as well, but are more fun than just playing every second note. Since the song had a ton of double bass, I needed to get creative in order to have the chart be challenging as well as fun.

    Just removing a foot is not a valid solution for me - it greatly reduces the fun factor and trivializes the song, so any charts I do which have double bass I'm going to try and find alternatives to keep it interesting, while still have it playable with single pedal setups

    :eek:
    Yeah, I understand how you feel. But I'm going off of what HMX has done in the past, and I'm pretty sure that's what the peer reviewers are going by too. Plus, there are some spots that have off beat hits (like right when that part comes in).

    Also, sometimes I'll play along with my left foot on double bass parts (not sure if anyone else does this), but charting it as triplets kinda prevents people from doing that.
  • metalchartermetalcharter Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    JesusSilencio;3265423 said:
    Yeah, I understand how you feel. But I'm going off of what HMX has done in the past, and I'm pretty sure that's what the peer reviewers are going by too. Plus, there are some spots that have off beat hits (like right when that part comes in).

    Also, sometimes I'll play along with my left foot on double bass parts (not sure if anyone else does this), but charting it as triplets kinda prevents people from doing that.
    HMX have not always been that consistent with their double bass standards - for instance, there are short parts in some of the Mayhem pack where they have charted the double bass for brief periods (also some of the Metallica charts). Believe me, I've playtested the heck out of the drum song, and I'm pretty sure that what I have now is the best possible balance between what the band is playing and dumbing it down to a single pedal - I'll have to take my chances on peer review, but I'll certainly be willing to argue that once they officially suggested we don't chart double bass, any hopes for chart accuracy were shot out of the window anyhow, and what I've done is hopefully far more in keeping with the spirit of the song than using some one-size-fits-all formula to dumb down the chart

    :)

    EDIT : also, as far as offbeat hits go, I don't think that a few offbeat hits are a problem, since theyre fairly common in a lot of songs (eg : anything by The Who) - when I found that triplets led to a part which was very tricky to play, I reverted to 8th notes, with some 16th in for variety, so I was very aware of that particular issue. Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate the feedback - my only experience as a drummer is in RB, so there might be certain things that I don't do like a real drummer, but I can say that as an avid plastic drummer, what I've come up with for this chart is way more fun than what the alternative would be, and, in my opinion, that is what is important!
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Hate to be this guy, but I'm telling you right now your song will never make it into the store with bass pedal authoring like you have described. Sure there are cases in the past, but HMX has been constantly evolving their authoring standards, so songs like the metallica pack and RB1 songs just don't cut it for examples to go by anymore. It is stated explicitly in the docs on how to dumb down double bass:

    "choosing just what the right foot is doing as the playable part, or finding an interesting and appropriate way to reduce a constant stream of kick drum hits into a pattern just the right foot can play."

    There are some exceptions like if it's a very slow double bass section like some of the disturbed songs, or some quick little quad fill type hits that can easily be played on one pedal with a quick foot snap.

    Now you may read the second half of the quote and feel your idea is justified, but by authoring triplets where 16ths were actually played, you are placing gems at locations where there is no actual drumming occurring, and this is something that is never done on any instrument or any difficulty.

    Again I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm just trying to help convince you to make these changes now instead of after submitting your song and hearing the same thing.
  • metalchartermetalcharter Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Well - I might just have to change it up to what I do on the parts where there is a lot of activity on the pads, so I can't use triplets, in which case I chart every fourth bar as 16th, and the rest as 8th so you have to play several short bursts of 16ths to keep things interesting.

    For the record, I still disagree with their stance on this - if they want note accurate charts, then they should just allow charters to post double bass charts, with the caveat that it has to be included in the magma description, but I know that this has been covered, and their stance on this is not going to budge. It seems like a ridiculous double standard for them to insist you change the originally played chart to something other than what the drummer played, but only change it in a certain way.

    Also, are you sure about that "note not been charted on any difficulty thing"?. I'm thinking of a situation where you might have really fast triplets on expert, and change it up to 16ths on hard difficulty - this makes far more sense to me than only playing the first note of the triplets on hard, since hard should still be, well, hard.
  • matrix_loaded02matrix_loaded02 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    socrstopr;3265734 said:
    Hate to be this guy, but I'm telling you right now your song will never make it into the store with bass pedal authoring like you have described. Sure there are cases in the past, but HMX has been constantly evolving their authoring standards, so songs like the metallica pack and RB1 songs just don't cut it for examples to go by anymore. It is stated explicitly in the docs on how to dumb down double bass:

    "choosing just what the right foot is doing as the playable part, or finding an interesting and appropriate way to reduce a constant stream of kick drum hits into a pattern just the right foot can play."

    There are some exceptions like if it's a very slow double bass section like some of the disturbed songs, or some quick little quad fill type hits that can easily be played on one pedal with a quick foot snap.

    Now you may read the second half of the quote and feel your idea is justified, but by authoring triplets where 16ths were actually played, you are placing gems at locations where there is no actual drumming occurring, and this is something that is never done on any instrument or any difficulty.

    Again I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm just trying to help convince you to make these changes now instead of after submitting your song and hearing the same thing.
    I have to agree with pretty much everything this person said. I hardly see how playing faster than the original drummer is more fun. If you really want to play accurately, just play along with your left foot, I know I do.
  • metalchartermetalcharter Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Duly noted - I'll change up the drum chart accordingly....

    Thanks for the feedback everybody - it is really appreciated :)
  • ReygnierReygnier Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Metalcharter... I saw that video you posted, and when it said "YOU ARE ALL F*****" I just smiled. :D

    Thanks for bringing metal to RB, and for bringing a smile to my face.

    Thank you.

    About the charting, don't make it hard just for hard's sake. This is no Guitar Hero. Just try and be as accurate as possible but minus the double-pedaling (few exceptions are possible, but no 1/128th notes :p... sadly)
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2009
    Have to say I'm digging this song and can't wait to playtest it @ RBN!
  • metalchartermetalcharter Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Reygnier;3268380 said:
    Metalcharter... I saw that video you posted, and when it said "YOU ARE ALL F*****" I just smiled. :D

    Thanks for bringing metal to RB, and for bringing a smile to my face.

    Thank you.

    About the charting, don't make it hard just for hard's sake. This is no Guitar Hero. Just try and be as accurate as possible but minus the double-pedaling (few exceptions are possible, but no 1/128th notes :p... sadly)
    I really have been pretty accurate for the most part - believe me - I didn't have to try to make the drums hard - there is one part in the drums where it has hihat/snare 32nd note blastbeats with some random cymbal hits thrown in - scarily, I actually had to remove double bass from this part :eek:. Incidentally, I generally fail at this part (but then, I really suck at blast beats, being a not-too-great drummer).

    There are some parts in the guitar where, to keep things interesting I charted harmony guitars as a single guitar, but nothing hard - just some fun chord changes.

    Good news on the black metal - heard back from my contact today, and apparently it's pretty much a done deal - in fact, the bassist for the band is even going to re-record the bass track, since they were never happy with it to begin with - I feel so honored :o

    Announcement should be coming very soon!
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited November 2009
    metalcharter;3269099 said:

    Good news on the black metal - heard back from my contact today, and apparently it's pretty much a done deal - in fact, the bassist for the band is even going to re-record the bass track, since they were never happy with it to begin with - I feel so honored :o

    Announcement should be coming very soon!
    I'm eager to find out. Keep us informed.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Dear Satan,

    Thank you for your gift that is metalcharter.

    PS. Please make RBN arrive sooner.

    Your Pal,

    backy
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited November 2009
    back_blows;3269151 said:

    PS. Please make RBN arrive sooner.
    very much in agreeance on this one. Is there any word on this yet?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Oscar-Rio;3269158 said:
    very much in agreeance on this one. Is there any word on this yet?
    somethingsomethingfull moonsomethingsomething dark lord rises...
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Well someone got tired of waiting for Opeth: Hero
    >_>
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    i dont like growling vocals, but when i hear an eerie voice like that girl, and awesome instruments i just cant help it, ill have to download that song thats for sure :D
  • ReygnierReygnier Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Hey MetalCharter! I was wondering, when that un-godly awesome song appears in the RBN, how much will it cost?
  • metalchartermetalcharter Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Currently, the plan is that all the songs I'm charting will be 160 MSP - and to my good buddy Elliott, since I don't really give a crap about the NS produced games (and haven't really since GH:Metallica), I'd far rather see Rock Band : Opeth, than Opeth Hero :)

    Especially if Harmonix bought in the double bass, like the RB3 rumors have been promising.

    Opeth are my kings!
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    I think pricing RBN songs over a dollar will be a mistake, but we'll see how things go. There will be tons of content on RBN for just a dollar.
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    NoThru22;3279991 said:
    I think pricing RBN songs over a dollar will be a mistake, but we'll see how things go. There will be tons of content on RBN for just a dollar.
    This may be true, although if the songs are all close to 10 minutes long it might help offset the higher price.
  • Rise 2 FallRise 2 Fall Opening Act
    edited November 2009
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited November 2009
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Quazifuji;3282175 said:
    This may be true, although if the songs are all close to 10 minutes long it might help offset the higher price.
    I disagree with that. It may help informed buyers make their choice (such as the members of this forum that watch youtube vids first) but I'm talking about the casual player who will be browsing the RBN store out of curiosity. This is the market that you need to purchase your songs to turn a profit, in my opinion. I know people that bought Locksley sight unseen simply because they were the first dollar songs.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Quazifuji;3282175 said:
    This may be true, although if the songs are all close to 10 minutes long it might help offset the higher price.
    this is the formula i'm using for most of my music...

    i don't really care about making any money. it's about the principle of charging what i feel is most fair, which will be $2 anytime a song exceeds a certain length.
  • G_tarRoCK3RG_tarRoCK3R Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    NoThru22;3279991 said:
    I think pricing RBN songs over a dollar will be a mistake, but we'll see how things go. There will be tons of content on RBN for just a dollar.
    This. Unknown bands prob will want to be $1. I'm not going to be buying songs on RBN for over $1. Reconsider that Metalcharter.
    afterstasis;3283138 said:
    this is the formula i'm using for most of my music...

    i don't really care about making any money. it's about the principle of charging what i feel is most fair, which will be $2 anytime a song exceeds a certain length.
    How would you feel if HMX did this? Charging us $3 because the songs are longer. I would boycott based on principle. Songs shouldn't be based on length. Also, once the band was established on RBN, then I would say release $2 songs, but not prior to that.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    G_tarRoCK3R;3283368 said:

    How would you feel if HMX did this? Charging us $3 because the songs are longer. I would boycott based on principle. Songs shouldn't be based on length. Also, once the band was established on RBN, then I would say release $2 songs, but not prior to that.
    i would support it.
    i expect to pay the same amount for standard-length albums regardless of whether they contain 4 long songs or 12 short ones.

    perhaps i should split a bunch of long songs up and sell each bit separately so i can make the phat RBN-bucks i'm missing out on by not writing a bunch of 2 minute jingles? :rolleyes:
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited November 2009
    G_tarRoCK3R;3283368 said:
    Songs shouldn't be based on length.
    While I don't think prices should be based only on length, keep in mind that longer songs take proportionately longer to author. Especially the tempo mapping. HMX doesn't seem to factor it in when pricing DLC (there have been some shorter and some longer songs that all cost $2) but you might see some longer songs priced at $2 on the RBN. Of course, if nobody buys them, the band or author can lower the price.
  • ReygnierReygnier Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I hope no one ever puts a 3 dollar song in RBN, that would be suicide.

    Now, I love Metal, and that song sounds INSANE! I will give you my 2 bucks to you Metalcharter with a smile :).

    Still, I know many people are NOT metal fans (just read around the forums, there is a lot of (whiny) people that complain every time a metal song pops up in DLC). If you put it at one dollar, you might actually make more profit. I know for a fact that people might consider buying it (even if they hate the gender) if they see that "10 minute song with Killer Riffs and Insane Blasts" for only a dollar (Heck, I bought Rock On when it first came out because it was a freaking dollar). I would rather have 3000 sells at 1 buck each, than 1000 sells at 2 each.

    But it's your song, it's your choice. You got yourself a buyer here regardless of the pricing ;).
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    NoThru22;3282489 said:
    I disagree with that. It may help informed buyers make their choice (such as the members of this forum that watch youtube vids first) but I'm talking about the casual player who will be browsing the RBN store out of curiosity. This is the market that you need to purchase your songs to turn a profit, in my opinion. I know people that bought Locksley sight unseen simply because they were the first dollar songs.
    I don't disagree at all. I'm fully in support of cheaper songs, both because it helps me (obviously) and because I think RBN will need the generally cheaper price point to make up for the fact that the bands are generally lesser known than the main DLC bands. I also think that, although there's no way of knowing now, it would not be at all surprising if $1 songs sell signfiicantly more than twice as much as $2 songs, just because the competition will be steep enough that people are likely to just ocmpletely ignore any song that's more than a dollar unless they've heard of it before.

    I'm just saying that, for what it's worth, these songs seem like they'll give their money's worth for $2. I would say they should be $1, but if any relatively unknown song is going to deserve to sell for a higher price, it seems like it would be these, given that the songs are much longer than average, meaning you both get more content from it and that it takes significantly more work to chart (especially since metal is probably on average more difficult to chart than most genres).
Sign In or Register to comment.