What Surprised You About LRB?

jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
edited December 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
Anything surprise you about the game? Maybe that it was more fun than you thought? Maybe you liked more songs than you thought?

My big surprise was I didn't know there was minifigs of Spinal Tap. I knew about Queen, Iggy Pop, and Blur (though I think that guitarist's minifig looks like Harry Potter). But I never heard about Spinal Tap. I was slightly disappointed we didn't get that reference to the movie though, like we did in GH2, with the drummer disappearing in a green puff of smoke. Would've been cool. I hoped the entire time the song played that it might happen. :)

Comments

• EricTheUnicornEricTheUnicorn Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    The world tour in general, it's exactly what i would want in a simulated-band game.I was just in it for the export and a couple of laughs.
  • CountWaescheCountWaesche Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    It surprised me that Fat Bottomed Girls made it trough the filter but You Shook Me All Night Long did not. :confused:
  • SirRobin1tothe3SirRobin1tothe3 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    That there were only like five songs that weren't enjoyable to play.

Also, this is an ideal tour mode. It should be brought back in Rock Band 3.
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    It surprised me with how enjoyable, solid and nonstop fun the story mode was. I also enjoyed the on-disc track list more than any other music game I've ever played...not one song I don't like. And that's a good thing, 'cause I've got the Wii version.

And, even though I'm already a Lego fan, I was continually amazed by just how charming, hilarious and fun-to-watch the Lego band is. They look like they're having such a great time--The game's an instant cure for a bad mood!

And Lego Spinal Tap surpised the heck out of me and made me laugh and smile the whole time I played "Short and Sweet."
  • BonzoBonzo Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I'm surprised that it won't let me name any of my avatars "Conan", "Cone Bone", or even "Conesy"... wtf???
  • esquehillesquehill Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    It surprised me how little play value it has on wii. I haven't played it
    for over a week; story mode is just playing the same few songs over and over.
  • icpfaygoicpfaygo Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    esquehill;3279144 said:
    It surprised me how little play value it has on wii. I haven't played it
    for over a week; story mode is just playing the same few songs over and over.
    I disagree. I got it for the Wii and I absolutely love it. All the songs are great being that you have to play it as a stand alone disc. Just disappointed Wii didn't allow the use of DLC.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Building albums, doubling as saved playlists. Make Your Own Setlists with 1 song.

TT did all the stuff fans wanted in a Tour Mode.

Except they made way too much happen for so little. Beat one song..."Congrats, you can play this area to impress someone now!"...after that..."Good job, now do this to unlock this!"...after that..."ROCK POWER CHALLENGE!"

All because you picked that one setlist.
  • rjbr2000rjbr2000 Insane
    edited November 2009
    - Me failing in Kung Fu Fighting due to bad calibration (played it at a friend's house, did the right settings and still laggy but when i went home and played on my HD monitor (which usually requires me to manually set lag), it was all flawless (0 ms if you may)
    - I actually heard most of the songs back in the days but I never knew the title. Amazing and fun!
    - When you use the GHWT/GH5 guitar, the green and orange areas in the slider work for left and right navigations in the Rock Den (and possibly somewhere else)...
    - That it was actually enjoyable. All of my friends were laughing so long whilst I played So What in that castle venue. Good fun!
  • Chuck_FiascoChuck_Fiasco Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    How incredibly difficult it seems to be to export the songs to your hard drive.
  • iuggiboyiuggiboy Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    chuck_fiasco;3296860 said:
    how incredibly difficult it seems to be to export the songs to your hard drive.
    lol
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    The overall presentation was a lot of fun. The cutscenes were pretty funny and helped establish the personalities of each band member fairly well. I would like the staff I hire to have a bit more impact...though.

I am REALLY hoping future RB titles can incorporate the kind of customization options we had in this game. Especially for non-band members.
  • InannaInanna Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    It's a fun game, sadly the thing that surprised me the most was finding out there was no online play mode. I now know it says so on the packaging (or rather it doesn't), but I ordered it online and just presumed it would have online band play since it's such an important part of the franchise... or so I thought.
  • nightglider1nightglider1 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Inanna;3343881 said:
    It's a fun game, sadly the thing that surprised me the most was finding out there was no online play mode. I now know it says so on the packaging (or rather it doesn't), but I ordered it online and just presumed it would have online band play since it's such an important part of the franchise... or so I thought.
    Possibly because it's aimed at kids/families.
  • RackRack Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    For me it would have to be the inclusion of "We Will Rock You", I was so surprised to see a song, no matter how popular, with one guitar solo 2 minutes in, and no other instruments at all included in a Rock Band game.
  • buster42buster42 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Rack;3350949 said:
    For me it would have to be the inclusion of "We Will Rock You", I was so surprised to see a song, no matter how popular, with one guitar solo 2 minutes in, and no other instruments at all included in a Rock Band game.
    They charted a G G BO beat for most of the song on guitar (can't say anything for other instruments). It's not much, but it's something.

I'm surprised that Girls and Boys (or is it vice versa?) is actually a pretty good song.

I would be surprised at my addiction, since I've already played a ton and just got it today, but, well, it's Lego. I'm always addicted to Lego games @_@
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited December 2009
    What surprised me was that they charted We Will Rock You on guitar before the solo. Like, why the frig would they do that? HMX is usually accurate in their charts, but they messed up that one... but besides that it was a pretty good game overall.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited December 2009
    Bonzo;3279096 said:
    I'm surprised that it won't let me name any of my avatars "Conan", "Cone Bone", or even "Conesy"... wtf???
    We've noted that LRB doesn't like anything with the word "con" in it in this thread. Apparently it's the Microsoft filter at work.
  • OsperoOspero Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Positive surprises:

-The well done setlist. True, there are quite a few repetitive songs on there, but only two qualify as horrendous on guitar (Kung Fu Fighting and the similar, if somewhat easier, Naive). Kudos.

-The very well done tour mode. Add in a bit more difficulty and/or slow the progression rate a bit, and this is what a tour mode should offer.

-The unreal number of things you can buy with your ingame money.

-Customizable entourage. For that matter, customizable band mates (I usually play solo).

Negative surprises:

-The European Hysteria/Rock'n'Roll Star issue. Bad planning, folks, especially since the main developer actually resides in Britain.

-The ridiculously bad translations. I can only speak for German, but I've seen in the thread about it that the other localizations suffer from a similar problem. Way to go for a family game, TT (or WB. I'm blaming these two because HMX and MTV Games have never had this problem in an RB game before).
  • VeganpunkVeganpunk Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    The great song list for me as well. Even songs I hate, (AAR, Sum 41, Pink) were fun to play.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited December 2009
    I was surprised by how fun the setlist was despite being overall an easy setlist compared to the likes of GH3 and RB2, the fact you cant unlock the real life based LEGO characters to play with, its incrediably awesome to play those challenges over and over, that NO ONE on the planet doesnt love them some Ghostbusters :cool: and finally that i found myself messing about with the base buying crap such as potted plants i didnt care for purely for the achievement... how shameful am i :p
  • IanC14IanC14 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Yeah the setlist is overall very fun. May not be hard (although going by the Kung Fu fighting thread...) but its fun, and thats what counts.

I also love the super easy mode :)
  • FickAwesomeFickAwesome Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    That I have to pay $10 to export less songs than I got from RB1 for $5. :mad:
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    It's weird to me that there's so many "I'm surprised the setlist is as fun as it is" posts in this thread. I haven't unlocked everything just yet (I was hoping to get Lego for Christmas until my girlfriend confirmed I wasn't getting it on Saturday), but the early parts of the tour are rife with incredibly repetitive songs... basically, every song on the setlist that I hadn't really heard of has just been pretty terrible in my opinion. I got flawless and gold stars on two of them from a "sightread" because all you have to be able to do is endure tapping the beat on the strum bar at the required speed for 3-4 minutes (and I'm no guitar ace, there's still a couple of songs on RB2's disk I can't beat).

Don't get me wrong, the songs I bought this game for are all pretty good and I did expect the disk would be a little easier (although I still don't know what the end of the setlist is like), but I've played everything through the first 4 venues and still haven't found any of the "gems that I haven't heard of" that have always been a part of previous RB titles.

Everything else about the game (minus online, which I don't really use much) seems to be a step up from RB2 and seeing stars again is REALLY great. So, my other surprise is that I would gladly use L:RB as my main platform if all of my content could be imported.
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    FickAwesome;3359586 said:
    That I have to pay $10 to export less songs than I got from RB1 for $5. :mad:
    Dude, RB1 cost $60 + $5 for export = $65. L:RB cost $50 + $10 for export = $60. Also, Lego is allowing you to export at the front-end of the game's lifecycle, which is a much bigger threat to HMX's sales of the game than allowing RB1 to export at the tail end (especially because export was used as a benefit for upgrading to RB2).

And, yes, it is less songs than RB1, but you had to have known that going in. I don't get how anyone can complain about the price of this. And the solution to the price problem is to wait until it drops in price. If you can't do that, then it is worth the $60 to you.