RBN not until 2010?

foofighterfan4Mccainfoofighterfan4Mccain Road Warrior
edited November 2009 in The Rock Band Network
saw this regular article was reading it when this caught my eye:

http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/news/nd-alumna-speaks-about-rock-band-1.943461

"Glorioso said MTV Games’ latest Rock Band venture, Rock Band Network, is set to revolutionize the music-based video game industry in the first quarter of 2010. The Network will allow artists, signed or unsigned, to code, submit and sell their own original music online to be used within the Rock Band games."

So not until next year or she has been miss informed? I guess We will find out

Comments

• JonnySegmentJonnySegment Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Sometimes when people talk about 'quarters' of years, they mean fiscal or financial quarters rather than just calendar-based seasons. In some cases (possibly including the US's fiscal year), the first quarter of any given year actually begins some time in the closing months of the previous year.

Either way, we PS3 users will likely have to wait until proper 2010 anyway. Never mind though. Whenever it comes out, I'm sure it'll be super :)
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2009
    There's a few unforeseen hiccups in the review process that have popped up since we started submitting/reviewing tracks, and HMX is working hard to get them ironed out before everything goes live.

Yeah it sucks that we have to wait, but I'd rather it be a smooth launch than have an unforseen bug that deletes your Rock Band saves or DLC or something crazy like that. ;)
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    JonnySegment;3276120 said:
    Sometimes when people talk about 'quarters' of years, they mean fiscal or financial quarters rather than just calendar-based seasons.
    But never when a marketing person is giving a talk to her alma mater.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited November 2009
    foofighterfan4Mccain;3276099 said:
    s"Glorioso said MTV Games’ latest Rock Band venture, Rock Band Network, is set to revolutionize the music-based video game industry in the first quarter of 2010. The Network will allow artists, signed or unsigned, to code, submit and sell their own original music online to be used within the Rock Band games."

So not until next year or she has been miss informed? I guess We will find out
    She's not misinformed. She said it will revolutionize the music game industry in the 1st quarter of 2010. She didn't say that's when it will be released, only that that's when it will revolutionize the industry ;)
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    No shizzle Sherlock.

RBN isn't even out of closed Beta.
  • xxRaenxxRaen Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    It would be a very big mistake to miss the Holiday season, in my opinion.
    edited November 2009
    xxRaen;3276374 said:
    It would be a very big mistake to miss the Holiday season, in my opinion.
    Not if it's not finished yet. Would you rather have a 100% functional product after Xmas, or a buggy crappy product before Xmas? :)
  • tcole6tcole6 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    davidshek;3276459 said:
    Not if it's not finished yet. Would you rather have a 100% functional product after Xmas, or a buggy crappy product before Xmas? :)
    I'd rather have a buggy crappy product that worked with the Wii. Hahaha.
  • MourganDespanaMourganDespana Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    tcole6;3276471 said:
    Isn't that the Wii's m.o.?
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    tcole6;3276471 said:
    Good Lord I am holding in so many Wii insults now it is physically painful.

But yeah, what Davidshek said. I'm willing to wait for HMX to iron out all of the issues, so we get a functional product.
  • JPSChampagneJPSChampagne Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    No shock to me that 2010 is getting tossed around. Heck - I'd even bet on it being toward the end of winter / beginning of spring before the thing is truly online and really chugging along for everyone.I'm not part of the closed beta, but I know something this large takes lots of time.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    i could care less....my 360 is broken, i wont have another until at least another 2-3 months...and its already painfull seeing all those great dlc weeks pass me by.
    when i get a new 360 its gonna be so expensive, trying to catch up with all the DLC.
    at least RBN wont be out yet lol.
  • wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    davidshek;3276459 said:
    But it's incredibly stupid of them to miss the holiday season with this. The rhythm game genre is already dying; the longer they wait to release this the more they are dooming it to fail.
  • MicsktafaMicsktafa Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    wrldindstries302;3277369 said:
    But it's incredibly stupid of them to miss the holiday season with this. The rhythm game genre is already dying; the longer they wait to release this the more they are dooming it to fail.
    Not stupidity, my friend. This is game development. As a game developer myself (and being in the closed beta myself), this is not something that comes to stupidity. The RBN is very powerful and is quite a large system. It needs time and testing, which is what we're doing.

Anyhow, who is going to give people RBN songs for Xmas? Perhaps people will spend their Xmas money on the RBN if it launches in 2010.
    edited November 2009
    wrldindstries302;3277369 said:
    But it's incredibly stupid of them to miss the holiday season with this.
    It's incredibly stupid of them to not release a product that's not ready for public release yet? :confused:
  • IBleedItIBleedIt Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    MourganDespana;3276531 said:
    Isn't that the Wii's m.o.?
    Yawn, fanboys, ignorance, etc.
    Gets kinda boring after a while, don't you think?

And I'm hoping they release the open beta this week... or at the very least, December.
  • SwivleSwivle Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    A launch after Christmas means kiddies discover the music store after getting tired of the standard setlist on their new Rock Band game and spend all that Christmas money on songs. Sounds fine to me. :D

I just want it to work.
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    davidshek;3276218 said:
    she's not misinformed. She said it will revolutionize the music game industry in the 1st quarter of 2010. She didn't say that's when it will be released, only that that's when it will revolutionize the industry ;)
    well

played
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    It'll be disappointing if the store doesn't open until the new year, but hopefully the beta will open soon.
  • babywolfmanbabywolfman Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    I'm not sure how much “missing the holiday season” matters for RBN. I doubt there are many in the general public that are on the fence about buying Rock Band for the holidays and would be swayed by the Rock Band Network alone.

"It's great that they have hundreds of songs ready for me to download, but if they were to allow me to download about 50 more from bands I've never heard - THEN I'd be willing to get Rock Band..."
  • MilitreeMilitree Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    babywolfman;3279556 said:
    I'm not sure how much “missing the holiday season” matters for RBN. I doubt there are many in the general public that are on the fence about buying Rock Band for the holidays and would be swayed by the Rock Band Network alone.

"It's great that they have hundreds of songs ready for me to download, but if they were to allow me to download about 50 more from bands I've never heard - THEN I'd be willing to get Rock Band..."
    Not to mention RBN isn't something that is sold in stores. There's no reason for it to make the holiday season. In fact, it may be better afterwards, with kids with fresh 360's, Rock Bands, or Christmas money.
  • xxRaenxxRaen Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Yes, but they don't want to be way too far after the christmas season, or they loose all those people who have that extra christmas money and these new copyies of Rock Band aren't so fresh in their mind. Honestly, end of December/Early January would be the best, and what I'm hoping for.
  • HelloMasterHelloMaster Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I agree with what many have said above. There doesn't really seem anything "seasonal" about RBN; no reason it must be out for the holidays. If anything, getting away from the holidays probably increases their chance of wider coverage. With games like COD:MW2 and Assassin's Creed 2 dropping, it's hard to get buzz going for a niche-of-a-niche product like RBN.

However, if there's nothing else going on, might as well run it first page. The waiting sucks, but it's good strategy on HMX part.
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited November 2009
    The people who are saying "OMGZ RELESE IT GLITCHAH SO I CANS PLAY IT ON JEZUZ B-DAY!" are the reason for glitchtastic rushed games* like every single movie video game ever.^

*You may not but people with your reasoning are.
    ^May or may not be true.

Let's look at it this way. They look at it totally money wise. They rush it and release it for your Christmas moneys. The thing is so glitched that it pisses people off so much that they will never buy anything from it. It in return pisses off bands that they were apart of a promising product that was rushed because they wanted a few more Xmas funds, and RBN is then dead forever.
  • geo731geo731 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I agree that rushing the product is absolutely the wrong idea. I am fully content to wait for the product to develop. That said, I do see the point some people are making about missing the holiday season. Yes, the RBN is not sold in stores. But, the points cards many will use to buy from the RBN are indeed sold in stores. If the product were to be released before Christmas, without numerous bugs, I would think it would follow true that more points cards would be purchased as gifts. Just playing devil's advocate as I think waiting is still the best policy.
  • TheyAreNextTheyAreNext Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I'm happy so long as it actually gets released instead of being tossed to the side. I'm even happier that they're waiting until the bugs are ironed out to do so. And I'm even even happier that this gives me more time to save money for it. Happy?