top 3 Lego Rockband phrases I would never want to hear come out of my children's mout

Comments

• jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited November 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3285145 said:
    What the hell? He thinks "Bustin' makes me feel good" is bad...
    But "She don't come up to here, and she stay down there, y'know what I mean" isn't?

Not to say I think anything in this game is all that horrible, but still.
    Especially because he's (Ray Parker Jr.) talking about ghostbusting, like how they do it in the movies. It's not supposed to be sexual. Apparently blog poster has their mind in the gutter. :p
  • allanon645allanon645 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    But "She don't come up to here, and she stay down there, y'know what I mean" isn't?

Not to say I think anything in this game is all that horrible, but still.
    Pretty much took the words out of my mouth.:)
  • ExplodingTurnipsExplodingTurnips Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    That was a very amusing read.

Especially the one about Ghostbusters.
    I never once thought of that line in a dirty way; I always viewed it as dancing.
    You know, bust a move.
    "Bustin' makes me feel good."
  • TouweTouwe Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    lol yes, note "fictitious", and that the whole post is a joke. A parody of all the people who have outraged against songs lyrics in the games
  • californicationcalifornication Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Pretty funny. I never thought of the Ghostbusters song like that. :D
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited November 2009
    Well you see, busting is a phrase used either for the need to go to the bathroom, or as is the context here, ejaculation
    edited November 2009
    im just glad to see my humor wasn't a total loss
  • lanky316lanky316 Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Wait for the abuse you get though! Some people will not be getting the satire. Would have liked it more if you went into more depth about how atrocious these vile sickening lyrics are. Perhaps pretend to launch a frivolous law suit as is becoming a trend. Nice post though!
  • CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Hilarious.

Me and my baby in '69.

Heh.
  • ChaosraidenChaosraiden Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    I was thinking more like I put drumsticks up my bum like I do the LEGO bricks..
  • BStu78BStu78 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    What an incredibly boring, self-aggrandizing blog post. Why on Earth post it here? Don't we have to deal with enough belly-aching here without importing whining? And he's ripping #2 and #1 out of the context of the song. If you say something the right way, anything can sound dirty. No kid would even think twice about either lyric.

If I had a 5 year old girl, I'd be WAY more concerned with her singing the offensive tripe of Good Charlotte than supposed double entandres she won't get.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited November 2009
    Touwe;3285483 said:
    lol yes, note "fictitious", and that the whole post is a joke. A parody of all the people who have outraged against songs lyrics in the games
    Just quoting in case anyone missed it. It's from the author of the blog post. Before anyone gets too angry and bashes the post needlessly.
  • Mallrats8Mallrats8 Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    BStu78;3286485 said:

If I had a 5 year old girl, I'd be WAY more concerned with her singing the offensive tripe of Good Charlotte than supposed double entendres she won't get.
    Fixed it for ya.

But anyway, yeah. Not funny. I guess we've established it's supposed to be a joke, but still doesn't make me laugh. Just because it's "satire" doesn't mean it doesn't have to have any actual jokes in it.
  • van_of_lovevan_of_love Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Hmmm, didn't come across as jokey or satirical. Let's burn him! (satirical outrage, i really don't condone burning people...) :-p
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    jeccaneko;3285132 said:
    I've said it before, I'll say it again... I'm sick of these "OMG, WHY IS THIS IN LRB?!" posts.
    Same here. Everybody and their mother has their own opinions as to what constitutes family friendly...and in reality the conversation is no different than the one this forum was just getting over in regards to the edits made for the normal series.

It doesn't matter what you or I think...the ESRB and other game/music ratings systems are what determines what is and is not appropriate.
    edited November 2009
    T-Hybrid;3288056 said:
    Same here. Everybody and their mother has their own opinions as to what constitutes family friendly...and in reality the conversation is no different than the one this forum was just getting over in regards to the edits made for the normal series.

It doesn't matter what you or I think...the ESRB and other game/music ratings systems are what determines what is and is not appropriate.
    seems like no one ever reads more than the first three posts in a thread
  • JdurgitJdurgit Banned
    edited November 2009
    LMAO. I thought that was great. Especially the references to "Call of Duty" and all the other stereotypes and commonplaces going on with gamers today who like to whine and complain. Bravo sir. Bravo! :D
    edited November 2009
    Jdurgit;3290533 said:
    LMAO. I thought that was great. Especially the references to "Call of Duty" and all the other stereotypes and commonplaces going on with gamers today who like to whine and complain. Bravo sir. Bravo! :D
    Thank you
  • ThornDavisThornDavis Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    BStu78;3286485 said:

If I had a 5 year old girl, I'd be WAY more concerned with her singing the offensive tripe of Good Charlotte than supposed double entandres she won't get.
    I was thinking exactly this when I played Girls and Boys last night.

I understand that the linked article is a joke, but the very purpose of LEGO Rock Band - to create a 'family friendly' version of the game - throws up some depressing revelations.

Why is it that when people express concern about 'suitable content' for they only really mean excluding sexual content. I don't think there's a five year old in the world that could make head or tail of Sir Psycho Sexy - it would sound like the poem Jabberwocky to anyone who wasn't already familiar with innuendo. Whereas a lyric like "Girls don't like boys, girls like cars and money" is a) comprehensible to anyone, and b) potentially a much more damaging concept to a kid.

The purpose of LEGO Rock Band is to provide a Rock Band Experience that's suitable for kids. It's existence is an acknowledgement of the idea that some songs are OK for for kids, and other's aren't. With that in mind how is the deliberate, demeaning stereotyping in Girls and Boys in any way more acceptable than - say - the obviously ridiculous horror in Hammer Smashed Face, a song so absurd as to have almost no bearing on reality?
  • malbadonmalbadon Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I flat out can't believe the theme sung in Girls and Boys is permitted.
    I don't even have kids but every time the bloody song comes up in Random I just get gobsmacked that they feel its okay to tells kids that girls are supposed grow up to be shallow and materialist.
    And yet I can't have my Iron Maiden...
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    malbadon;3346852 said:
    Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily argue for any content not making the cut for Lego that is on the disk, but I feel like this song is really the biggest offender when it comes to something I wouldn't want kids exposed to... especially girls.

On the other hand, although it may be offensive in a lot of ways it isn't about sex, religion, or something that is a crime... it's not going to get cut.
  • rocker820rocker820 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    No five year old would know what any of these phrases mean anyways, so who cares
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    malbadon;3346852 said:
    I don't even have kids...
    So who are you to tell parents what their kids can listen to? It's like the people who feign offense at the fact that there are 10-year-olds out there being exposed to the work "hell."
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited December 2009
    Bustin' makes me feel good? Really?
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    malbadon;3346852 said:
    I don't even have kids but every time the bloody song comes up in Random I just get gobsmacked that they feel its okay to tells kids that girls are supposed grow up to be shallow and materialist.
    And yet I can't have my Iron Maiden...
    HEY, HEY, HEY. You aren't even listening to the song correctly, so stop making it a generalization among all women. The lyrics clearly state that the girls with the bodies like boys with Ferraris. Notice it says nothing about girls who fall under the fat/ugly/other category. ;)
    edited December 2009
    monkeyfish;3364508 said:
    HEY, HEY, HEY. You aren't even listening to the song correctly, so stop making it a generalization among all women. The lyrics clearly state that the girls with the bodies like boys with Ferraris. Notice it says nothing about girls who fall under the fat/ugly/other category. ;)
    I always giggle at it as a satire on teenage shallowness. The spoilt rich kid uses the girl as a trophy and she uses him for the money. It's only offensive if YOU are the one being used and needed the song to highlight it.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, the Boys and Girls song is clearly written with a level of irony/satire to it, criticizing shallowness rather than condoning it, but I honestly don't know if kids will pick up on that or not. Heck, most of the people in this thread haven't, apparently.
  • mayhem117mayhem117 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    "Bustin makes me feel good" someone show this dude GHOSTBUSTERS! the song is about busting ghosts not cherries
    edited December 2009
    ^^^ Thus the reason I love reading first post only readers and get the image of them spitting milkshake over their monitor with rage.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited December 2009
    Ride A White Swan encourages animal cruelty.