Dlc 12/25/07

Comments

• Teh_Nfsjunkie91Teh_Nfsjunkie91 Rising Star
    edited December 2007
    This is great, I don't care that it's not what everyone was expecting it to be, we're getting five new songs for a lowered price. I haven't heard some of these songs, but who cares? The only reason people are disappointed is because they speculated.

Good job, Harmonix, and thanks for the release.
  • the_spikethe_spike Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Not an epic win but still nice. And at a cheap price point. Definitely getting all of these. Can't wait.

To the people complaining: It's five cheap songs on Christmas. Normally we would get nothing and if we did it would be expensive. And for all the past DLC tracks, there hasn't been much, if any at all, 2000's represented.

Upon further review, I can't freaking wait to sing Attack.

And for the love of god, please add Chevelle. ;)
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    Akzidenz;210754 said:
    Ew. Are you kidding?

I understand you guys have to cater to all the 14-year-olds that get the game today, but throw the rest of us a bone.

*big thumbs down*
    "The rest of you"--as in those people who immediately write all of these songs off as 14-year-olds crap--have been "thrown a bone" for five weeks now. Get with the understanding that Rock Band is a global platform designed to appeal to a wide variety of people.

For someone who complains about music for the 14-year-olds, your perspective is decidedly somewhere in the sixteen-year-oldish range...
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited December 2007
    If they needed to get somebody to represent the genres, they could have at least gotten a good representative of pop-punk.

Like Jimmy Eat World or, uh... .... ... ... I got nothing.
  • DesiredFXDesiredFX Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    Well, if you're gonna go punk-pop, you might as well at least jump to the progenitors of the genre, Green Day.

Or Green Day clone Blink 182.

Or Blink clone Good Charlotte.

I mean, AAR are basically a clone of a clone of a clone of a band that borrowed the punk attitude and turned it into pop music.
  • spartan070sargespartan070sarge Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    well, I like AAR, but I hate 30STM, and I don't know the other one.

but seriously, is this the best you guys could do?
  • vApathyvvApathyv Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Wow. 30 Seconds To Mars, that really was a bit of a surprise for me, I totally didn't picture them as 'fitting the bill', they're way too...dramatically alternative. But I do like 'em, nonetheless.

And All-American Rejects was always a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, so that's pretty cool too. As far as the other band, I've never heard of 'em, but I download everything that comes out just so I can hear things I've never heard before and broaden my horizons (songs like Ever Fallen In Love, My Iron Lung, Heroes, and Rockaway Beach have become instant classics at my house, even if I've never heard of 'em before Rock Band).

Oh, and just to clear up the whole "young people" thing, I'm only 18 and I'm still anxiously awaiting Who's Next. Then again, I was raised in a family with good taste in music.
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I will probably pick up the song by The Sounds. They aren't bad at all; especially for 99 cents.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited December 2007
    This is like asking for a flat-screen for Christmas and getting socks.
  • KaneTakerKaneTaker Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    DesiredFX;210772 said:
    Well, if you're gonna go punk-pop, you might as well at least jump to the progenitors of the genre, Green Day.

Or Green Day clone Blink 182.

Or Blink clone Good Charlotte.

I mean, AAR are basically a clone of a clone of a clone of a band that borrowed the punk attitude and turned it into pop music.
    Totally agree. And with each copy, it got worse. I would take Good Charlotte over AAR. Hell, I'd take Blink over them. Green Day I'll just plain take cause they're fun.

Has nothing to do with age. I was born in '78 and love most of the rock before then. I listen to modern bands as well, just not very many of them. Its certainly an issue of taste. As in, I have it. :p

Don't mean to harp on HMX. Great price on this. Just not for me.
  • SupergeekSupergeek Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I will be buying 3 out of the 5, mostly because they're so cheap.

Green Day is such an obvious choice -- they are popular with older and younger fans -- that I assume they are not licensing or are too expensive.
  • GloriosoZosoGloriosoZoso Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Julio_Strikes_Back;210784 said:
    This is like asking for a flat-screen for Christmas and getting socks.
    Agreed.

I think the best measure of the quality of this DLC in Harmonix's eyes is the price point: $0.99 per song (80 Microsoft Points per track for Xbox 360).

All the previous DLC has been more $ for a reason. Harmonix had to lower the price on these lesser-known bands in order to tempt some into buying them.
    Supergeek;210792 said:
    I will be buying 3 out of the 5, mostly because they're so cheap.
    See what I mean?

Bring on The Who!
  • the_finnthe_finn Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    can't say i've heard of any of these, but i'll check'm out and see if they warrant a dl or not, thanks anyway HMX, and happy holidays.

edit: well i checked them out.. and ..well, to put it briefly, i wont bother buyin these at all, which is fine, it saves me compulsive $$ spending :) (i'll keep my opinions on these songs/bands to myself this time), i'll save my points for Who's Next :D
  • NinegaugerNinegauger Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Well, The Sounds makes my day... and it's my birthday (on Christmas). Sorry all of you are unhappy... but I imagine you'll all get what you want eventually.
  • erickOnasis412erickOnasis412 Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    jpw21683;210746 said:
    I don't see the problem with expanding the game into different, more "mainstream" genres. If you don't like HMX's choices, then simply don't purchase the DLC, instead of "LAWL!!!! IT'S NOT METALLICA!!!"
    exactly.. it's good to open up everybody (young and old) to new styles of music.. not that i'm a big fan of any of these bands, but i honestly can't believe some of these middle aged chumps are crying about this weeks DLC - it's 99 cents, not to mention its a video game.. this is smart on harmonix's part by reaching out to new markets with different genres of rock, and if anything - the release of THESE bands makes me realize just how big harmonix plans this game to be with their DLC.. just imagine what harmonix has up their sleeves for 2008
    edited December 2007
    KaneTaker;210789 said:
    Totally agree. And with each copy, it got worse. I would take Good Charlotte over AAR. Hell, I'd take Blink over them. Green Day I'll just plain take cause they're fun.
    I don't really care for the genre, but I can't think of a single Green Day song that I wouldn't snap up in an instant if it was made available.
  • ditchellditchell Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Yeah I don't know. Might pick up The Sounds. I just Youtubed the rest of them and I don't think I can handle it.

I'm all for Harmonix and please add in 2 paragraphs of praise for them here, but this is a letdown. I hope the good stuff picks back up.
  • SiberianSiberian Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Here's a playlist with the 5 songs on Imeem.

Though you have to register (free) to hear more then 30 seconds.

I've never heard any of them before but they're pretty good and for the low price I think I'll pick them up.
  • AliceInChainedAliceInChained Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Meh, lame.:(

Where's "Who's Next"?
  • rambleon95rambleon95 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    grateful dead! grateful dead? grateful dead! grateful dead!?!?!?!? WHEN!!!!!!!!! 18 friggin songs to be released and where the heck are they? i mean i reallly dont get it. its the olny reason i bought this game...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.
  • alpakkaalpakka Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    These songs add variety to the set list, and I think most of them look like a blast to play...if you don't like them, don't buy them. It's as simple as that. No one is forcing you to buy every week's DLC.

If you have any musical preferences, you are going to be disappointed some weeks. Sorry :eek:
  • thetroutthetrout Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    In the cause of being open-minded, I went ahead and YouTubed these suckers. I actually ended up liking them more than I thought - not my favorite songs by any stretch, but they should be jolly good fun to play. They're guilty pleasures, to be sure, but pleasures nonetheless.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    rambleon95;210813 said:
    grateful dead! grateful dead? grateful dead! grateful dead!?!?!?!? WHEN!!!!!!!!! 18 friggin songs to be released and where the heck are they? i mean i reallly dont get it. its the olny reason i bought this game...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.
    Sorry, but if the only reason you bought the game was for music for a group that has not been released or hasn't even had a date announced, then you have made a terrible mistake and get the results that come along with it.

On the upside, there's some really good non-Dead music in the game you might want to give a listen to... ;)
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited December 2007
    greetdeath;210680 said:
    For Christmas day I find this to be a great disappointment. There are far to many people opening this game on Christmas morning and would've gone nutso to find "Who's Next?" or some classic songs out there.
    I would imagine most people opening it on Christmas Day are going to be too busy blasting through the regular content to worry about what they're going to download.

The weekly DLC complaints remind me of the daily Smash Bros. blog whiners and the moaning every Monday regarding the Wii Virtual Console.

They will never please everybody every time. Frankly I look forward to Dirty Little Secret. Though I too am wondering what's considered "limited time" Does it mean till the New Year or is it something like this week only? I don't have access to my 360 until after the New Years.
  • jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    Disclaimer: I'm completely cool with HMX releasing diverse DLC for different crowds and understand that I just got lucky in than I was pumped for at least part of every release so far.

That said ...

I'd rather pay extra for songs I want to play than $.99 for songs I won't download anyway. I understand it establishes a precendence for lower priced songs, and that excites peoples, but if that precenence dictates more promotional material from below-average modern bands, count me out. Nothing against modern band, just against these modern bands (All-American Rejects and 30 Seconds to Mars specifically).

I would much rather drop $2.99 for some Zeppelin, Green Day, Modest Mouse, Dead etc. as opposed to $.99 to hear Jordan Catalano's ****ty band (Frozen Embryo's anyone?). Ok, I think I dated myself with that one.
    edited December 2007
    AliceInChained;210810 said:
    Meh, lame.:(

Where's "Who's Next"?
    I imagine--since they've known for a long time that they're going to be releasing the whole album--that they're trying to make sure it's a great "album experience" rather than simply a collection of songs.

I don't know what that would entail, but I do know that what I want from Who's Next is so much excitement from the first playthrough that I immediately want to go back and play the entire album set list again.
  • Deeznutzs27Deeznutzs27 Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    Expectations blown out of proporsion once again. Shocking.

Another great choice in DLC. Something for everyone is the way to go when your touting the greatest party game of all time.. which it is.

Thanks and Merry Christmas
  • Leo_10thLeo_10th Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    at least i'll get more cowbell with the sounds.. *stoked*
  • dhaelisdhaelis Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    What a fantastic way to discover new music! Although I'm not much of a fan of either 30 Seconds to Mars or the All-American Rejects, I've never heard of The Sounds. However, after doing a little wiki-ing, I found out that they're a New Wave outfit out of Sweden and that Jeff Saltzman (producer of the Killers 'Hot Fuss') also produced their 'Dying to Say This to You' album. I'll definitely be checking that song out tomorrow.

I reiterate: What a way to discover new music!
  • WizarDruWizarDru Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I'd only heard of AAR before, though I couldn't have named one of their songs to save my life. 30 Seconds to Mars is, to me, generic emo-rock. Couldn't pick them out of a police line-up from My Chemical Romance and so on. Songs aren't bad, but not to my taste.

AAR is better. Some decent hooks, if again kind of generic pop-punk stuff. Not a big Green Day fan either, though their last album was better than some of their older stuff to me.

The Sounds....never heard of them before this, but I liked what I heard. Going to pick this up, I think. Might get AAR, too, at this cheap price. Keep on keeping on, HMX.
This discussion has been closed.