Dlc 12/25/07

edited January 2008 in Announcements
Hey all,

Hope you are having some good time off or will be soon. Below is the press release for tomorrow's DLC. As mentioned before the DLC will come out on Xbox marketplace on Tuesday and on Playstation store next week (along with next week's regularly scheduled DLC) due to Sony's offices being closed this week for the holidays. At any rate enjoy the DLC and I'll be back later this week!

Happy holidays,
Sean

Harmonix and MTV Games want you to ring in the holiday cheer with a
special Rock Band gift. For a limited time, fans and
gamers can purchase tracks from platinum-plus-selling rock act 30
Seconds To Mars, pop-punkers All-American Rejects and Swedish new-wavers
The Sounds at a special holiday price of $0.99 per song (80 Microsoft
Points per track for Xbox 360).

Starting tomorrow, there will be a total of five new songs available.
They are:

"Attack" - 30 Seconds To Mars (from 2005's A Beautiful Lie)
"The Kill" - 30 Seconds To Mars (from 2005's A Beautiful Lie)
"Dirty Little Secret" - All-American Rejects (from 2005's Move Along)
"Move Along" - All-American Rejects (from 2005's Move Along)
"Song With A Mission" - The Sounds (from 2006's Dying To Say This To
You)

Comments

• willthegreatwillthegreat Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    The price is a great gift...assuming it still holds for the PS3 faithful next week...if that's the case, I'll probably pick these tracks up. Thanks for supporting your product Harmonix!
  • logicalnoiselogicalnoise Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    as usual you don't have to buy them but I'm sure these songs will be fun. Plus the special price makes it more appealing. I might just stay up late to grab these.
  • lpunderground19lpunderground19 Rising Star
    edited December 2007
    Eh, this DLC sucks compared to what has come out so far. I really really really like Attack, and The Kill is cool, and I'll probably buy those two. As for the others, I'll wait till YouTube vids come up and I'll watch those. Move Along is an okay song, don't like the other two at all. But at least HMX is cool enough to price these at ONE FRIGGIN DOLLAR. That's an awesome Christmas present.
  • shanew21shanew21 Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    you may not like the songs...but after listening to them they seem to have a good part for all 4 instruments, so they should be fun to play
  • RavagerXRavagerX Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    You know what, this has somewhat motivated me to make a new setlist.

I will go into Rockband....seperate the songs by genre and form a list of songs that I think would be perfect....if not perfect, pretty damn good.

(disappears to brainstorm)
  • edited December 2007
    The point of DLC is that it can occasionally go more "niche" to cover areas in music that wouldn't make sense on a retail disc. It's not the end of the world if a week is perceived as disappointing.

I think people have gotten into a mindset where they need to purchase every piece of content and forgotten that the point that it is meant to be a-la-carte.

For me personally, the price is right, and for certain parties and get togethers these will be very popular. And honestly, I haven't found a song yet which is boring to play on drums. (Then again, I LIKE Green Grass and High Tides on drum. :) )
  • DesiredFXDesiredFX Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    greetdeath;210680 said:
    For Christmas day I find this to be a great disappointment. There are far to many people opening this game on Christmas morning and would've gone nutso to find "Who's Next?" or some classic songs out there.
    Actually, the people opening the game on Christmas will find 32 total songs available to them. Given that these five fill out a niche that really wasn't covered by the other 27 songs, I think pretty much everyone who looks online for new content tomorrow--for their first time looking--is going to be able to find something they want.

It'll be harder for the people who want ALL of it.
  • army_of_mearmy_of_me Rising Star
    edited December 2007
    Apples;210719 said:
    The point of DLC is that it can occasionally go more "niche" to cover areas in music that wouldn't make sense on a retail disc. It's not the end of the world if a week is perceived as disappointing.

I think people have gotten into a mindset where they need to purchase every piece of content and forgotten that the point that it is meant to be a-la-carte.

For me personally, the price is right, and for certain parties and get togethers these will be very popular. And honestly, I haven't found a song yet which is boring to play on drums. (Then again, I LIKE Green Grass and High Tides on drum. :) )
    Well said.
  • HPLabonteHPLabonte Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    well, that sucks.... haha.
  • JimmikJimmik Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    Apples;210719 said:

Very true, well put. I guess that's part of the problem with releasing music of only one genre per week at a time.
  • neo0o0oneo0o0o Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    i cant believe im the first to ask this but will any other dlc be only $0.99. cause that would rock
  • keith921keith921 Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Only 30 seconds to mars songs I like are gonna be in the game finally. Very cool, and All-American rejects aren't that bad. Never heard of The Sounds before.
    Gonna be great to have, too bad i'll have to wait an extra week cause of Sony.
  • casmith7509casmith7509 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I understand not everyone can like everything so thanks anyways...

Edit. Actually I'll be getting the Sounds. That song is decent.

I still feel like I got Punk'd.
  • GibGirlGibGirl Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Just looked up all five songs on YouTube... never heard of any of them before, but they're not bad. Heck, I think I may be hooked on Dirty Little Secret already thanks to the nice touch in the video...

Five songs for $5? Not a bad deal. I'll be buying them.
  • mcgavin27mcgavin27 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Not the best songs but I bet they will be a blast to play. Also, for a dollar a piece that is great.
  • MowDownJoeMowDownJoe Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Ehh... one or two good songs there, and at least budget priced.

Now give us some Barenaked Ladies.
  • Stevenam81Stevenam81 Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Well, so far this DLC release sucks the most. I was really looking forward to a surprise for Christmas. I don't really care for 30 seconds to Mars and I do not ever want to see the name All American Rejects anywhere in my setlist. As far as the Swedish Band, I have no idea who they are but I assume they are the same genre. I understand that Harmonix must please everyone and I'm sure many people will be pleased with the DLC.

Here is my theory on the release. Most people who already have Rock Band are older. I'm 26 and I didn't have to wait until Christmas. I already had the money and was in line at midnight. Many people have to wait until tomorrow to get it and even though some of them may be older, I'm betting at least like 80% of them are under 17. I'm sure all the kids 12-17 or maybe even younger, will love the DLC for tomorrow. Most 14 year olds will look at CCR and Foreigner and say, "that is my parent's music" Also, if they want to be able to charge only $0.99 a song what better songs to pick than ones that are barely worth that price. Also since PS3 has to wait until next week, I guess it wouldn't be fair to release some really awesome songs. This way, they probably don't care as much. I know if I had a PS3, I would not even consider tomorrow's DLC a release lol.

Hopefully, better luck next week.....I'm hoping for a bigger release then. People will be back home if they went out of town. People will have had a chance to pick up some Microsoft points and whatever PSN uses. Then Xbox360 and PS3 can both get some great DLC the same week. Unfortunately not in time for New Years parties.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    Eman311;210690 said:
    you're wrong. All the teenagers who's parents bought this for them will snap up Move Along and Dirty Little Secrets in seconds.
    I'm an older player and I'm still going to snap up Dirty Little Secret, and quite possibly others of these, especially at such an unbeatable price.

One of the things I've enjoyed the most about GH and RB games was getting to know (and in many cases enjoy) music that I'd never heard or heard of before. In listening to my iPod in prep for the game, Welcome Home, GGaHT, The Electric Version and several other songs have really grown on me.

I already know and like Dirty Little Secret, and here's an opportunity to get to know four other songs... As with all things, you never know until you listen to it, and in some cases play (or watch others play on video) the song before you know if it's fun. Don't write it off immediately.

RB is designed to appeal to a wide audience. We've had five solid weeks in a wide range of music, but not much representing this genre. Now they've struck this and no doubt next week will be moving to something else. My only wish is that they'd had five different groups with one track each instead of the current spread, but I'm still happy. I have the advantage over many other forum-goers here in that tomorrow I'll get to play Heroes, Synchronicity II, My Sharona and all the other DLC (along with the game) for the first time. So this just becomes icing--and very affordable icing at that--on the cake. :)
  • GloriosoZosoGloriosoZoso Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    And I thought the recently released GH3 DLC was underwhelming.
    edited December 2007
    Stevenam81;210737 said:
    Most 14 year olds will look at CCR and Foreigner and say, "that is my parent's music"
    They may say that when looking at optional downloads, but I'm actually looking forward to reading some posts where the younger crowd really take to Gimme Shelter, Won't Get Fooled Again, or Don't Fear the Reaper in the main game. :)
  • FamousLastXFamousLastX Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Thanks guys, looks like I'll probably pick up the two All American Rejects songs and the two 30 Seconds to Mars songs.
  • BIoodAndThunderBIoodAndThunder Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    DesiredFX;210720 said:
    Actually, the people opening the game on Christmas will find 32 total songs available to them. Given that these five fill out a niche that really wasn't covered by the other 27 songs, I think pretty much everyone who looks online for new content tomorrow--for their first time looking--is going to be able to find something they want.
    And they would still have the whole 58 songs on the retail disk! With four different parts for each one! I don't think they're going to have any problem with having songs to play.
  • jpw21683jpw21683 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I'm thrilled to be getting 30 Seconds to Mars and AAR.

Sadly, not everyone knows songs by The Who, Metallica, CCR (blasphemy, I know). So the next time I have a drunken Rock Band-apalooza, I'll probably be able to persuade some folks to sing these songs that were too uncomfortable to do so previously.

I don't see the problem with expanding the game into different, more "mainstream" genres. If you don't like HMX's choices, then simply don't purchase the DLC, instead of "LAWL!!!! IT'S NOT METALLICA!!!"

When Fall Out Boy was announced for the game, there was a lot of bitching. I'd have to say it's one of my favorite songs on the drums. Attack and Move Along will be awesome on the drums as well.
  • AkzidenzAkzidenz Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Ew. Are you kidding?

I understand you guys have to cater to all the 14-year-olds that get the game today, but throw the rest of us a bone.

*big thumbs down*
  • Teh_Nfsjunkie91Teh_Nfsjunkie91 Rising Star
    edited December 2007
    This is great, I don't care that it's not what everyone was expecting it to be, we're getting five new songs for a lowered price. I haven't heard some of these songs, but who cares? The only reason people are disappointed is because they speculated.

Good job, Harmonix, and thanks for the release.
  • the_spikethe_spike Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Not an epic win but still nice. And at a cheap price point. Definitely getting all of these. Can't wait.

To the people complaining: It's five cheap songs on Christmas. Normally we would get nothing and if we did it would be expensive. And for all the past DLC tracks, there hasn't been much, if any at all, 2000's represented.

Upon further review, I can't freaking wait to sing Attack.

And for the love of god, please add Chevelle. ;)
    edited December 2007
    Akzidenz;210754 said:
    Ew. Are you kidding?

I understand you guys have to cater to all the 14-year-olds that get the game today, but throw the rest of us a bone.

*big thumbs down*
    "The rest of you"--as in those people who immediately write all of these songs off as 14-year-olds crap--have been "thrown a bone" for five weeks now. Get with the understanding that Rock Band is a global platform designed to appeal to a wide variety of people.

For someone who complains about music for the 14-year-olds, your perspective is decidedly somewhere in the sixteen-year-oldish range...
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited December 2007
    If they needed to get somebody to represent the genres, they could have at least gotten a good representative of pop-punk.

Like Jimmy Eat World or, uh... .... ... ... I got nothing.
  • DesiredFXDesiredFX Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    Well, if you're gonna go punk-pop, you might as well at least jump to the progenitors of the genre, Green Day.

Or Green Day clone Blink 182.

Or Blink clone Good Charlotte.

I mean, AAR are basically a clone of a clone of a clone of a band that borrowed the punk attitude and turned it into pop music.
  • spartan070sargespartan070sarge Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    well, I like AAR, but I hate 30STM, and I don't know the other one.

but seriously, is this the best you guys could do?
This discussion has been closed.