Kung Fu Fighting tips

rocker820rocker820 Road Warrior
edited December 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
So I was playing LRB today and I had to play a setlist with KFF. I was on expert guitar and it was the first time I had played it and god damn it was hard. I am not bad at this game, but it just clubbed me right in the nuts.

I tried downstrumming the whole thing, but I got tired and cramped after about the first chorus. The pattern is also too awkward to alt-strum so that is no good.

I understand that is the hardest song in the game, but everyone else seems to think it is easy and can easily Gold star or fc it.

My question to you is how you guys play it that makes it seem really easy. For reference I have fced songs like Devour and Seven downstrumming the entire thing so I am not horrible at it. Thanks

Comments

• lotr rocks 0lotr rocks 0 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    i didn't find it that hard of a song tbh....
  • KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    I alt-strummed it, but it was the only song I've done where my wrist got tired while alt-strumming.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Have you ever tried playing Shining Star? That can be hard to altstrum and keep a streak as well

On trick that helps me is that in KFF, (I think) every stream of notes starts at a fret line and ends at a fret line. Both of these are a down strum. Every note that is one one of these fret lines will be a down strum and all the notes will be an up strum.
  • deathmonkeydeathmonkey Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Take lessons from a karate master. He can give you lots of tips.
  • Razorhoof78Razorhoof78 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Look at how a real guitarist would play this part - loose wrist alt-strumming with accents on the chords. KFF is one of the most realistic charts in any RB game. It's also the only song where the wah effect is acceptable.
  • MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I alt-strum it, and end up with 4 stars. The song's pace is just outright frustrating with the chords. Reminds me of the acoustic bits of "Pinball Wizard", or the rhythm section during the sax solo in "Rio". I've played it 3 times on Guitar, and don't plan to ever again. I can get Gold Stars on "Shining Star" and "Makes Me Wonder" only downstrumming. I'll all about bass on that song now.
  • BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited December 2009
    I alt-strum. Just make sure your fretting fingers are ready to move quickly. It's not so bad once you learn the pattern.
  • itsmemjgitsmemjg Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    rocker820;3293619 said:
    So I was playing LRB today and I had to play a setlist with KFF. I was on expert guitar and it was the first time I had played it and god damn it was hard. I am not bad at this game, but it just clubbed me right in the nuts.

I tried downstrumming the whole thing, but I got tired and cramped after about the first chorus. The pattern is also too awkward to alt-strum so that is no good.

I understand that is the hardest song in the game, but everyone else seems to think it is easy and can easily Gold star or fc it.

My question to you is how you guys play it that makes it seem really easy. For reference I have fced songs like Devour and Seven downstrumming the entire thing so I am not horrible at it. Thanks
    im glad im not the only one.... When this song came up i went from sitting to standing and went into stud recovery... hardest song in LRB
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited December 2009
    Keep an even stance and observe your opponent. One should be able to assess their abilities from posture alone, but be cautious regardless. Look your opponent in the eyes and master the use of your peripheral vision in order to determine what attack will be used.

Finally, always remain calm in the face of all opposition. This is of utmost importance, as a cooler head will prevail over an opponent overcome with emotion.
    edited December 2009
    It might be a little bit frightening at first, but with some expert timing you can be as fast as lightning...
  • PubknightPubknight Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Not to highjack, but didn't want to start a new thread seeing as how this one was already here.
    But the drums on this song just freaking baffle me.
    I know it's just natural sticking with a couple of 'gaps', but boy, do those gaps mess me up.
    So far the best results I have had drumming it have been to use my right hand throughout the entire thing.

Anyone have any drumming tips for it?
    It just doesn't look like it should be tough at all.
    edited December 2009
    Pubknight;3309053 said:
    Not to highjack, but didn't want to start a new thread seeing as how this one was already here.
    I know it's just natural sticking with a couple of 'gaps', but boy, do those gaps mess me up.
    So far the best results I have had drumming it have been to use my right hand throughout the entire thing.

Right hand, left hand...Wax on, wax off...
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited December 2009
    Kidmitt;3293883 said:
    I alt-strummed it, but it was the only song I've done where my wrist got tired while alt-strumming.
    Agreed. It's an alt-strum fest, but the rhythm doesn't seem to be exactly steady. Not to mention it feels like a lot of the chord changes are on the up strum instead of being on the down strum.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited December 2009
    T-Hybrid;3309973 said:
    Agreed. It's an alt-strum fest, but the rhythm doesn't seem to be exactly steady. Not to mention it feels like a lot of the chord changes are on the up strum instead of being on the down strum.
    Agreed, that throws me off quite a bit.
  • rocker820rocker820 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Speaking of Kung Fu Fighting, I just played Naive today and it was like the exact same thing, god damn those awkward chord changes and alt-strum fests.
  • CountWaescheCountWaesche Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Pubknight;3309053 said:

I agree. Had to actually go down to hard to pass it, I was like man were did that come from.....

Never ceases to amaze me how many songs there are that at first you figure have got to be easy and then totally kick your rear end....
  • taylorleetaylorlee Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    rocker820;3318193 said:
    Speaking of Kung Fu Fighting, I just played Naive today and it was like the exact same thing, god damn those awkward chord changes and alt-strum fests.
    I truly dislike when songs do that.

I understand it's realistic, but I still don't like it.
  • BaZBaZ Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    This was the only song in the setlist that I had trouble with... I think it just has an off beat, even though I have no problem with the weird beats in Suddenly I See, or anything like that. It really ticked me off that this was the only song I had problems with.... :/
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited December 2009
    BaZ;3320037 said:
    This was the only song in the setlist that I had trouble with... I think it just has an off beat, even though I have no problem with the weird beats in Suddenly I See, or anything like that. It really ticked me off that this was the only song I had problems with.... :/
    Agreed... it was for me also the only song to give me any sort of problems during the game. Not one you will fail any time soon but i was woeful at not only trying to retain a combo for any length but also in the gathering of overdrive. Im a natural down strummer though so i guess its inevitable i would struggle... it sounds so easy when you listen to it, there didnt even appear to be a regular beat despite this sounding the case. Random chord changes all over - still good song pick none the less.

Suddenly I See was a doddle, i didnt even realise there was weird beats on it... saying that i knew what to expect there as im a big fan of KT. Not enough scottish artists in the game for my liking :(
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited December 2009
    Man this thread disappointed me. The lack of a question mark made me think you were giving us tips on how to fight using kung fu.:(
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited December 2009
    LoopyChew;3308788 said:
    Keep an even stance and observe your opponent. One should be able to assess their abilities from posture alone, but be cautious regardless. Look your opponent in the eyes and master the use of your peripheral vision in order to determine what attack will be used.

Finally, always remain calm in the face of all opposition. This is of utmost importance, as a cooler head will prevail over an opponent overcome with emotion.
    Hey that's some great tips.:D

Okay, I'm doing kidding.:p
    edited December 2009
    Okay, now that I've actually played through the song a couple of times, the most important thing I can think of is to ensure that your alt-strumming is natural enough that you can concentrate on the chords.

Despite there being a hammer-on triple chord pretty much at the beginning of each phrase, it's probably better if you strum it anyway, for timekeeping's sake. From there, it's simply a matter of figuring out the timing. After that first hammer-on chord, usually you'll go two muted strums before hitting the chord again. This means the chord typically lands on alternated down and up strums (DUduDudUduDudU, with capital letters being the chorded notes).

From there, it's a matter of endurance.

On the plus side, once you figure this out, it'll make things like Rio post-sax breakdown, and the third verse of Space Truckin' easier to dissect and play. Of course, those are sprints; this is a marathon.
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I actually thought KFF might have been the most overtiered guitar song in rhythm game history. It's a simple straight beat. There may be some hammer-ons that made it a tad bit awkward to strum, but even then it's not that hard to alt-strum for me. And if you have problems alt-strumming with the hammer-ons breaking up your flow, you could always just strum the hammer-ons and voila, straight 8th notes with some rests sprinkled in there. I honestly think it should have been a tier 0, rather than being classified as the hardest guitar song on LRB. That's just me though.
    edited December 2009
    KEWB;3332116 said:
    I actually thought KFF might have been the most overtiered guitar song in rhythm game history. It's a simple straight beat. There may be some hammer-ons that made it a tad bit awkward to strum, but even then it's not that hard to alt-strum for me. And if you have problems alt-strumming with the hammer-ons breaking up your flow, you could always just strum the hammer-ons and voila, straight 8th notes with some rests sprinkled in there. I honestly think it should have been a tier 0, rather than being classified as the hardest guitar song on LRB. That's just me though.
    Cool story bro, I fced Short and Sweet fourth try yet have never broken 5 stars on Kung Fu Fighting. That and Naive are so gay and hard.
    edited December 2009
    rocker820;3332799 said:
    Cool story bro, I fced Short and Sweet fourth try yet have never broken 5 stars on Kung Fu Fighting. That and Naive are so gay and hard.
    "Gay" and "hard"? Some people like those qualities, particularly together.

I think what you meant to say was "stupidly difficult to the point of being unplayable." Which both of them are, particularly if you lack the stamina.
    edited December 2009
    LoopyChew;3340474 said:
    "Gay" and "hard"? Some people like those qualities, particularly together.

I think what you meant to say was "stupidly difficult to the point of being unplayable." Which both of them are, particularly if you lack the stamina.
    Yeah, you are right
    Those songs just frusturate me because they are really hard in the worst way possible. There is just absolutely no appeal to play those songs unless you like the song. Now every time I hear Kung Fu Fighting my hand will probably clamp up subconciously.
  • SupaThugPimpinSupaThugPimpin Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Just don't play it. That's what I do. That includes when it comes up in a mystery list.
  • GranndGrannd Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Pubknight;3309053 said:
    The hard part (for me) was that you have the gap and if you keep RLRLRLRL sticking you'll end up having to play the snare with your left hand which obviously doesn't work.
    For me what works is playing
    RL (gap) RLLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR
    So after the gap it's RLLR so you hit the snare with your right hand after hitting the three red notes after the gap with RLL and then you can continue on with RLRLRLRLRL untill the next gap.

It's peanuts once you've mastered that.
    You could also start after the gap with your left hand so it's RL LRLR, but that's hard when you're righthanded (at least for me).
  • CAL022CAL022 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    KFF is so OVERCHARTED in LRB. Infact, I think it's the WORST note chart I have ever seen. My bro played it on his 360 and he could only manage 2*. He got me to try it and I could only manage 3*. I alt-strummed. I only ever got x4 once and could only hit one OD phrase. This song is just too AWKWARD to play. I had a look at the same song on Band Hero and it's like 10 times EASIER.

Even Painkiller & Bodhisattva is easier than this!
  • Alvarado6411Alvarado6411 Dethbringer
    edited December 2009
    I have a question, why doesn't it have the single album cover?