LRB vs. RB2

JStryker47JStryker47 Opening Act
edited December 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
I originally just wanted this game for the exporting. But after playing some of the actual game, not only was I pleasantly surprised, but I've found that some aspects of it make the game seem superior to RB2. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not calling LRB a better game. In fact, there are ways in which RB2 is better. But I'll get to those later.

1. The customizable rock den.

2. Being able to change your character's face without having to delete and recreate him/her.

3. Money shared among the whole band is convienient. I found it a bit of a hassle, having to keep switching among my characters in RB2, just so I could make them each afford the instruments and clothing I wanted them to have.

4. I love the rock challenges that you come across in story mode. They're quite fun to play and entertaining to watch. It's also cool to see your bandmates doing things in cutscenes and not just posing in loading screens.

5. Recovery mode. Not that I would've needed it much in RB2, unless I were playing on hard or expert. I never was able to get through that blasted guitar solo in Flirtin' With Disaster on hard.

Now for the ways in which RB2 wins.

1. Online play. Not exactly something I can't live without, but it is nice to be able to play with friends, without needing to have them come over.

2. Nobody ever sings along with the lead singer in LRB. Most people might not think much of that, but I really liked that aspect of RB. It made the band members look like real team players, and in some cases looked pretty cool and was quite fitting. For example, in Spoonman when my singer sings "All my friends are in the air," and my bassist is the one who follows up with "All my friends are brown and red."

3. Aside from not being able to change your character's face or choose different people to serve as your road crew or entourage, the rock shop is better in RB2. You don't even know what's for sale in the Lego rock shop until after you've unlocked it. You might buy one instrument there and then suddenly unlock one that you like better and think, "Aw, man! I could've saved for that one!"

4. The band roster works better in RB2. Maybe there's a method to it that I'm not aware of, but I'm not finding any way to assign my characters to specific instruments in LRB when I'm not playing as them. In RB2, I can easily have my other three characters fill in the other roles while playing with my guitarist. And if I decide to play an all female vocal setlist, I can switch her with the singer and play the guitar as him.

Final thoughts: I can't really say that either one is a better game, but I still like to play RB2 just for fun and the LRB songs are a plus. And despite its flaws, LRB is still a fun and cleverly-made game. I'll definitely want to at least finish its story mode.

Comments

• MushroomMushroom Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    JStryker47;3294868 said:
    For example, in Spoonman when my singer sings "All my friends are in the air," and my bassist is the one who follows up with "All my friends are brown and red."
    Let me ruin this song for you. He doesn't say "in the air" he says "indians". Enjoy your slightly off racial representation
  • JStryker47JStryker47 Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    ^Oh, my bad. I've never actually sung that one before, and I guess I heard it wrong. That makes more sense.
  • JurgenJurgen Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    JStryker47;3294868 said:
    Online play. Not exactly something I can't live without, but it is nice to be able to play with friends, without needing to have them come over.
    Wait, you mean you can't play online on Lego Rock Band? Why the Hell would Harmonix disclude online play in Lego Rock Band? They didn't in the other Rock Band games, what's different about this one?
  • JurgenJurgen Opening Act
    edited November 2009
    Mushroom;3295013 said:
    Let me ruin this song for you. He doesn't say "in the air" he says "indians". Enjoy your slightly off racial representation
    Lol, nice way to ruin a song and how you said that too.
  • rileN95xrileN95x Unsigned
    edited November 2009
    Ah Online Play is excluded for the simple reason of it being a lego music game for kids and families, C'mon, would you seriously let your 6 or7 year old play online??
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited November 2009
    Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga had online co-op.
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Cliphead;3297774 said:
    I don't think so... Are you sure? Not for Wii it didn't.
  • Awesome_TreeAwesome_Tree Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Cliphead;3297774 said:
    No other Lego game, past or future, has. Even that new Indiana Jones game.
  • mobbzbobzmobbzbobz Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I really hope they include the recovery mode in RB3, I barely fail except on top tier songs on expert, but I play with a lot of friends who are complete noobs and when they see me pick expert, they feel the need to go on hard, which usually ends up in failing shortly after the song starts in RB2 at least with the recovery mode can play through the entire song and the score counts, unlike turning on no fail mode in RB2
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited December 2009
    mobbzbobz;3305674 said:
    I really hope they include the recovery mode in RB3, I barely fail except on top tier songs on expert, but I play with a lot of friends who are complete noobs and when they see me pick expert, they feel the need to go on hard, which usually ends up in failing shortly after the song starts in RB2 at least with the recovery mode can play through the entire song and the score counts, unlike turning on no fail mode in RB2
    Interesting idea, though I think it would work better exclusively as a mode in solo play so you can fail out and try to recover in RB3, where as I like the idea of band mates saving you normally.

Also, while the score will count, you don't get paid as much. Again, I like that, but I think being booed off stage is a reality in rock concerts, and I don't think it should completely go away.

Maybe if you can only recover twice...