Can this be used to share charts for popular songs?

ViciousLSDViciousLSD Unsigned
edited December 2009 in The Rock Band Network
In theory, can these authoring tools be used by anyone to share charts they plot themselves of, let say, You could be mine - by GNR, but not including any copyright'd music?

Comments

• New_BeeNew_Bee Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    That's a preeeeeeeeettty specific song choice.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2009
    ViciousLSD;3304216 said:
    In theory, can these authoring tools be used by anyone to share charts they plot themselves of, let say, You could be mine - by GNR, but not including any copyright'd music?
    I'm confused...first you mention a copyrighted song, and then you say "not including any copyrighted music"...which is it?? :)

The answer to your question is: Theoretically, yes. But realistically, no.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited December 2009
    People could share RBA files, yes. But if they've got those files up on a public server somewhere they could potentially be busted for sharing copyrighted material.

EDIT: I think what he's asking is if someone just shares the MIDI files but not the audio, which I guess would be sufficient to avoid getting sued by record companies, though the MIDIs themselves wouldn't be of much use without the audio files.
  • ViciousLSDViciousLSD Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    i guess what i'm trying to ask is if a drum chart of a GNR song may come from a pro drummer, (which I can choose to play together with my GNR song on CD or not) and learn to play drums for the song, like a ascii drum chart but on TV.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited December 2009
    I don't see that happening, at least not often. It'd be a pretty unwieldy, time-consuming, and potentially expensive way to do something that would be easier to accomplish by finding one of the fan-made rhythm games online.
  • Flame95Flame95 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Yeh mate, you're better off with Frets On Fire or something like that ;)
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    ViciousLSD;3305121 said:
    ...and learn to play drums for the song, like a ascii drum chart but on TV.
    If this is solely what you're after, there's a more cost effective and reliable way to do it. Invest in a way to connect your computer's output display to a TV monitor. There are plenty of information on how to do this online. And then just play Frets on Fire on your TV. Tada! tons more charts to learn to drum too.
  • ViciousLSDViciousLSD Unsigned
    edited December 2009
  • MonsterZeroMonsterZero Banned
    edited December 2009
    Flame95;3305406 said:
    Yeh mate, you're better off with Frets On Fire or something like that ;)
    Then you are supjected to noobs charting songs imo (I'd rather play GH with an old GS controller)
    LuigiHann;3305237 said:
    I don't see that happening, at least not often. It'd be a pretty unwieldy, time-consuming, and potentially expensive way to do something that would be easier to accomplish by finding one of the fan-made rhythm games online.
    Then what good is RBN good for. Garage Bands trying to push there music on RB. Hmm sounds like a waste of $$$ to me. Before I spend any dough on RBN it has to be worth it.
  • HeXcodaHeXcoda Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    MonsterZero;3308733 said:
    Then what good is RBN good for. Garage Bands trying to push there music on RB. Hmm sounds like a waste of $$$ to me. Before I spend any dough on RBN it has to be worth it.
    If all you want is major-label signed bands, stick to the weekly DLC updates. This is no different than that, just with a focus on indie groups. In the end it's the exact same concept.

Of course, if you completely overlook RBN as "just a bunch of garage bands" (which is what ALL bands are, before they get famous, note) odds are you're going to miss out on some good songs you might have otherwise enjoyed playing... but hey, your call.

As for the original suggestion of just sharing the MIDI, that's not going to work. I tried doing something similar with free DDR style programs years ago, supplying charts while the user rips their own albums. Every rip is a little different in terms of timing; maybe they'll use the version off a Best Of CD instead of the original album, or maybe the ripper introduces minute time compression, etc. It never lines up properly and it's not worth it. Stick with FoF or a similar freeware engine and take your legal chances, I guess.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited December 2009
    MonsterZero;3308733 said:
    RBN is going to have free demos for each song, so you'll be able to see for yourself what is worth it before you spend any dough.
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    They'd need XNA, but yes, you could easily give people the WAV and MIDI or final reaper file you used, and if they have an XNA account they could play the song.