A couple quick qestions (that I couldn't find in the docs)

GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
edited December 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Hey I have a couple of quick questions that I couldn't find the answers to in the docs or REAPER manual.

1. While placing notes in reaper there seems to be a "grid snap" of sorts, so I am only able to place notes at the begginning of each BPM line and only able to adjust the length by certain amounts, how can I turn that off?

2. While connecting to my 360 through magma. I was wondering if the 360 had to be connected to my computer. my pc and 360 are both connected to a router which is connected to another computer in the house, can I connect to my 360 from my computer for auditioning? (dont have xna yet so cant try it myself)

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited December 2009
    I'm not sure about #2, but...
    GeneralGilliam;3306395 said:
    1. While placing notes in reaper there seems to be a "grid snap" of sorts, so I am only able to place notes at the begginning of each BPM line and only able to adjust the length by certain amounts, how can I turn that off?
    Click the little magnet icon. It should generally be kept on, though, except for vocals. Guitar/Bass/Drums are authored to the nearest 16th note (sometimes 32nd, or triplets if necessary) rather than placing every note down to the exact millisecond. Since musicians aren't perfect, the notes they played may not be precisely where the grid lines are, so we do what the authoring docs refer to as "authoring to intent" by placing the notes at the nearest grid line.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    thank you, you saved me a lot of time on lower difficulties and animations :)
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2009
    GeneralGilliam;3306395 said:
    2. While connecting to my 360 through magma. I was wondering if the 360 had to be connected to my computer. my pc and 360 are both connected to a router which is connected to another computer in the house, can I connect to my 360 from my computer for auditioning? (dont have xna yet so cant try it myself)
    No, the 360 does not get connected directly to your computer. They do both need to be on the same LAN or WLAN however.
    edited December 2009
    so my connection would work then, because my 360 and pc are both connected to the same wireless network?
    edited December 2009
    Yea, I got some more questions.....sorry :(

1. When I export my midi file in REAPER, it shows that all of the instruments are mashed together into 1 track, even when I check the create multiple tracks or whatever in REAPER.

2. Is there a way to move the ENTIRE tempo map at once? I made a mistake and now the first beat of each measure is actually in the middle of each measure >.< like, in this little graphic ahead, the lines represent the bpm lines and the dots represent where they should be |.|.|.|.|.|.|.|

3. Can I chart irregular HOPOS? for example: 2 yellows in a row, or a green,red,yellow,and blue at the same time? in the RBN preview window they show up as working correctly, but will they actually work in-game?

4. the sounds/frequency of the guitar and vocals cover up the sounds of most of the crash cymbals in a song I am charting. So, when you play the song normally it looks as if there are extra notes that shouldnt be there, BUT, when you turn down the volume of the other instruments it looks as if they should be there. So should I chart the cymbals or not, either way it looks charted wrong sometimes. :(

thats itm sorry for being a noob :(
  • JonnySegmentJonnySegment Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I have no idea about any of these questions, but you should have posted them in your other thread.
    edited December 2009
    GeneralGilliam;3313194 said:
    so my connection would work then, because my 360 and pc are both connected to the same wireless network?
    That's correct. Isn't that what I said? :)
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Chart what they played, don't underchart.
    edited December 2009
    Vedicardi;3313761 said:
    Chart what they played, don't underchart.
    Actually the rule is "Chart what can be heard, not what they played". That comes straight from HMX.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    davidshek;3313830 said:
    Actually the rule is "Chart what can be heard, not what they played". That comes straight from HMX.
    That rule comes into effect after the "Rock Band" mix is finished, though, yes? It's possible that the original version has the drum track at a low amplitude overall, or that the Kit track (assuming there is one) is at a low volume level. That should be remedied anyway so the player can hear what s/he is "playing", which would fix the silent crashes.

Yes, I know, it's a theoretical situation. Just tossing it out there as a possibility. Maybe not a likely possibility, but a possibility nonetheless.

EDIT: oh, about the tempo map - make sure that the BPM envelope is visible in your Master Track. I'm pretty sure you could select the first tempo change, shift-click on the last change, and move all of them together. If not, then you're gonna have to move them individually, but as long as the BPM changes are correct you should only have to shift them to the downbeat of the measure before!
    edited December 2009
    DavyinaToga;3314391 said:
    That rule comes into effect after the "Rock Band" mix is finished, though, yes? It's possible that the original version has the drum track at a low amplitude overall, or that the Kit track (assuming there is one) is at a low volume level. That should be remedied anyway so the player can hear what s/he is "playing", which would fix the silent crashes.

Yes, I know, it's a theoretical situation. Just tossing it out there as a possibility. Maybe not a likely possibility, but a possibility nonetheless.
    Yup, that rule applies to what is audible in the final mix when played in the game. It should be fairly easy to bump up the cymbal volume in the masters before the final mixing is done, provided the recording engineer was worth a spit. :)
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    GeneralGilliam;3313234 said:

3. Can I chart irregular HOPOS? for example: 2 yellows in a row, or a green,red,yellow,and blue at the same time? in the RBN preview window they show up as working correctly, but will they actually work in-game?
    I don't know anything about Rock Band Network charting, but the game does support HOPOs like this. One example is the HOPO chords in the Boddhisattva fast picking. So I assume that if they show up as being correct in Reaper/Magma, then they'll work fine. They can be played by lifting your finger off the fret between the two notes and then pressing it again when the second note comes up (or you can just ignore the HOPO and strum it normally, of course).
  • edited December 2009
    GeneralGilliam;3313234 said:

1. When I export my midi file in REAPER, it shows that all of the instruments are mashed together ...

2. Is there a way to move the ENTIRE tempo map at once?...

3. Can I chart irregular HOPOS? ...

4. the sounds/frequency of the guitar and vocals cover up the sounds of most of the crash cymbals in a song I am charting...
    1) Are you selecting Export Project MIDI then selecting Multitrack MIDI File? Also make sure none of your MIDI tracks are muted or soloed.

2) It may totally mess things up but you can move the whole tempo track by clicking on the tempo track, drag select every tempo marker, then Ctrl+Shift click and drag the tempo track.

3) No

4) Either up the volume of the cymbals or don't chart them.
  • animemetalheadanimemetalhead Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Quazifuji;3314628 said:
    I don't know anything about Rock Band Network charting, but the game does support HOPOs like this. One example is the HOPO chords in the Boddhisattva fast picking. So I assume that if they show up as being correct in Reaper/Magma, then they'll work fine. They can be played by lifting your finger off the fret between the two notes and then pressing it again when the second note comes up (or you can just ignore the HOPO and strum it normally, of course).
    And there are also two yellow HOPOs in a row like that in the solo to Damnation Game. Kind of annoying when I found it in Practice Mode.
    edited December 2009
    Well about the irregular hopos, you say no I cannot chart them but the section is really "audibly" tapping and since there are no tap notes like in GH, what should I do?

PS: Hey Vedicardi, I remember you from the FoFFF lol!
  • animemetalheadanimemetalhead Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    If it's in a solo, they can be charted normally and use the solo marker. That way, the player can use the solo buttons to tap - no strumming required.

I have a section like that in one of my songs I'm charting, too.