Are There Any Beatles Songs with Profane Lyrics?

CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
edited December 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Like S*** and ect.?

I don't claim to know everything about their music or whatever, most of the time with these DLC albums it's my first time hearing songs.

The reason I ask is because if there are I'd be curious as to how HMX is going to handle it if those songs ever come out. Would the Beatles break the exception of strictly T rated DLC?

Comments

• MatitoMatito Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    The Ballad of John and Yoko is considered profane to some people.
  • Gigli78Gigli78 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Matito;3317535 said:
    The Ballad of John and Yoko is considered profane to some people.
    Because of "Christ, you know it ain't easy"?
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    We'll find out on Rubber Soul. On the song "Girl," they sing ***-***-***-*** in the background as a joke instead of dit-dit-dit. "***" is the official lyric, but I would wager HMX changes it to dit.

Well there you go lol, they bleeped out the word on the forums. So I guess that settles it.
  • MatitoMatito Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Gigli78;3317585 said:
    Because of "Christ, you know it ain't easy"?
    Correct. That, and the line "They're gonna crucify me." Maybe not "profane" really, but I'd venture to say "controversial" isn't the right word either.
  • Taxman999253Taxman999253 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Piggies

"In their eyes there's something lacking
    What they need's a damn good whacking!"
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I can confirm Piggies. When I went through listening to it all remastered, I didn't hear any swearing until I got to there, and it totally jumped out.
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Not a Beatles song. But performed by a Beatle.

John Lennon's "How Do You Sleep". One point he goes, "How do ya sleep ya c*nt!"
  • onidragononidragon Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    On a take of "Day in the life" from Anthology, Paul screws up his lyrics, and right before John Sings again, he says "Aww Sh*t!!!"
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Dragonheart1991;3317999 said:

John uses profanity quite a lot, but not in Beatles songs. 2 f-words in "Working Class Hero", and the line in I Found Out:

"Some of you sitting there with your c*ck in your hand
    Don't get you nowhere don't make you a man"
  • PleasePleaseMeatPleasePleaseMeat Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    They sing t*t in Girl, but it sort of sounds like dit.

I hope they don't change it. In some 12-rated films, there's f*ck (the word) all over the place.

Well, once or twice.

EDIT: Also in the Happiness Is A Warm Gun demo on Anthology 3. John stops and says "Oh sh*t. Wrong chord."
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    There's no way it will say t*t on the screen. Not a chance. They would put damn on the screen before that. That's just how people are.
  • DimitriLDimitriL Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    It's borderline profane, but there is John's line in I've Got a Feeling, "Everybody had a wet dream." It's certainly not happy smiley family friendly, anyway.
  • ValiantPaulValiantPaul Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    It's actually John in the background during Hey Jude in which he goes "Oh ****ing hell!"
  • RelaubyRelauby Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    mva5580;3318938 said:
    There's no way it will say t*t on the screen. Not a chance. They would put damn on the screen before that. That's just how people are.
    Damn has appeared in regular Rock Band numerous times.
  • jl8ejl8e Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Matito;3317671 said:
    Correct. That, and the line "They're gonna crucify me." Maybe not "profane" really, but I'd venture to say "controversial" isn't the right word either.
    Definitely profane, but not obscene.
  • fuselage321fuselage321 Ringo Impersonator
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I dont see why they would blank out amn in Piggies, but they will probably change the on screen words of Girl to dit.

But, we won't oficially know until next week.
  • wrecklasswrecklass Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    No need to change Girl if you listen closely they are saying "dit" and the official lyrics show it that way, so no real change needed by Harmonix as long as they are publishing the official lyrics on TBRB.
  • ZorbaruZorbaru Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    DimitriL;3318960 said:
    It's borderline profane, but there is John's line in I've Got a Feeling, "Everybody had a wet dream." It's certainly not happy smiley family friendly, anyway.

haha, i heard that the other day. not a song ive paid much attention to but playing it the other day im like "wait, what?"
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    How about "Don't Let Me Down"?

"And from the first time that she really done me
    Oo she done me, she done me good
    I guess nobody ever really done me
    Oo she done me, she done me good"

"She done me" can be seen as sexual intercourse.
  • HotMangoChutneyHotMangoChutney Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    DimitriL;3318960 said:
    Yeah, if that made it by, I see no reason why the 'damn' in "Piggies" or the 'Christ's in "The Ballad of John and Yoko" wouldn't also go uncensored in the game.
  • deanowarddeanoward Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Dragonheart1991;3317999 said:

It's not on any released version of "How Do you Sleep?". It was on Take 1 that can be seen and heard on the "Imagine" video/dvd. Also John's version of "Real Love" is the intro to that video/dvd and I prefer it a lot more to the Threetles one.
  • mysfarbrormysfarbror Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    come together
    right now
    over me

gay orgy anyone?
  • BellboyBellboy Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Working Class Hero by Lennon is as close as you'll get "Your Still Fcuking Pesants As Far As I Can See"
  • LeoModestoLeoModesto Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I just heard an outtake of Mean Mr. Mustard in which, I believe, John sings "such a dirty b*stard".
  • deadpool247deadpool247 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    ValiantPaul;3318990 said:
    It's actually John in the background during Hey Jude in which he goes "Oh ****ing hell!"
    That's the only one I know of.
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Well, drug/tobacco references have become M-rating worthy & Paul's singning about having a smoke in A Day in the Life is intact.

Perhaps, since thre is not a huge amount of naughty language in Beatles material, perhaps a pass was given to allow lyrics to remain.
  • LeoModestoLeoModesto Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I think as long as it's perfectly legal tobacco it's fine. THEN AGAIN, "Jojo left his home in Tucson, Arizona, for some California grass". So I don't know.

It's different than a game in which your character does or sells drugs though. It's just a word. And a guy holding a cigarette in an album cover.
  • MatitoMatito Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    LeoModesto;3323645 said:
    I think as long as it's perfectly legal tobacco it's fine. THEN AGAIN, "Jojo left his home in Tucson, Arizona, for some California grass". So I don't know.
    But... but... he was singing about moving to California for the scenery! [/naivety] :p
  • imadorkimadork Unsigned
    edited December 2009
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    LeoModesto;3323645 said:

It's different than a game in which your character does or sells drugs though. It's just a word. And a guy holding a cigarette in an album cover.

The act of smoking in a film pretty much guarantees an R rating from the MPAA these days, even if the language, violence &/or exposed boobies quotient is low to none. It's true.

Obivously this is why TB:RB's T rating lists "Tobacco References".

As to Get Back & "California grass" - the reference is to pot, obviously. It stays. But a kid singing it might not know that is what is being referenced.

In RB2, Gouge Away by the Pixies has the word "marijuana" edited out. (but still does not beat Band Hero's American Pie losing the work "whiskey" in every chorus).

"..some marijuana, if you got some...". The blatant use of that word is likely why that was cut & "grass" was not.

But I do believe that the ESRB may have been intentionally lax when it came to the Beatles & lyrical content. And maybe part of geting permission to even issue the music in this form had a clause of "leave our music alone" - hence no audible whammy bars, FX, or edited lyrics in TB:RB.