Is there a video tutorial or any kind of tutorial out there?

ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
edited December 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Hey there.

I'm not an audio pro, I just record some songs with Cubase and I'm not sure if I will ever create RBN tracks but I just would like to see how it works. I downloaded all the programs and even the sample song but I can't even see how the charts will look in the game. (In a video I saw a preview window where you can see the chart just like you see it in the RB game)

Anyway, I can't find a guide to create Rockband tracks anywhere. A Vid Tutorial would be awesome. I guess there are some out there for Reaper but a real tutorial on how to use The RB Plugin and Magma and everything? There must be something like that somehow. Can't imagine all you people figuring everything out by yourselves?

Really, just some kind of Step to Step Guide to create a Rockband track in Reaper and Magma?

Comments

• ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited December 2009
    So, no tutorials?? How do you guys know how to create the charts? :confused:
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2009
    Coldplayer;3322429 said:
    So, no tutorials?? How do you guys know how to create the charts? :confused:
    Why, the documentation of course! :)

Start here, in the "Creating Songs" section:
    http://creators.rockband.com/spec/Main_Page
    edited December 2009
    davidshek;3322463 said:
    Why, the documentation of course! :)

Start here, in the "Creating Songs" section:
    http://creators.rockband.com/spec/Main_Page
    Well, thanks, but I've seen this and it looks more like a site with some tipps but not really a guide on how to create the charts. That's what I was looking for. :(
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited December 2009
    Did you download the sample of "The Future Soon" that's available at http://creators.rockband.com/tools/download ? The documentation assumes you already have an understanding of Reaper or digital audio workstations in general. If you don't, looking at the sample song is a great way to start! :)
    edited December 2009
    trg007;3322790 said:
    Did you download the sample of "The Future Soon" that's available at http://creators.rockband.com/tools/download ? The documentation assumes you already have an understanding of Reaper or digital audio workstations in general. If you don't, looking at the sample song is a great way to start! :)
    Yeah, I have experience with Cubase and I also downloaded the sample song, but I could not really find out how to for example take a look at the charts. (well you can kinda see them when you double click on the layer but I thought there would be a video of some kind to see how it will look in Rockband)

I don't know but I think a step to step guide should be made. Can't believe there isn't one.
  • spudlyff8fanspudlyff8fan Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    If you download Reaper and the sample track, it's actually generally self-explanatory.
    edited December 2009
    Maybe for those who are experts in Reaper.
    Anyway, maybe someone can at least answer me this question: In one of the few RBN videos I saw a small preview window in Reaper that shows how everything looks in Rockband. Know what I mean?

Can anyone tell me how I open that window in the sample song?

And ... I still think a tutorial should be made.
    edited December 2009
    There is a thread asking that exact question still on the first page of this section. :)

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167810
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Hmm... I wonder how well-received a video of a song would be if the lyrics explained everything that was happening in the MIDI file as it happened just for this purpose, like a demo of each post-proc video, light cues, directed cams, etc.
    edited December 2009
    Actually, the Creators Wiki has been updated with screenshots/GIFs of all the different lighting calls. I don't think that's carried over to the public version of the docs, however.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    trg007;3325755 said:
    Actually, the Creators Wiki has been updated with screenshots/GIFs of all the different lighting calls.
    Cool!!
    trg007;3325755 said:
    I don't think that's carried over to the public version of the docs, however.
    D'aww...
    edited December 2009
    trg007;3324848 said:
    There is a thread asking that exact question still on the first page of this section. :)

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167810
    I actually saw that thread, but I'm not sure if this guy is even talking about the same window that I mean, because the sample song automatically uses the "RB Preview Window" effect but there still is no window that shows me how it looks in RB.
    And no, I'm not using the 64 bit version of Windows and yes, the effect is there and it's used on the layer but I see no window.
  • thejezthejez Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I just went through this very thing today. It is pretty confusing.

On the midi track you want to preview click the fx button. The FX window will open. Then click on the VSTi: RBN Preview (RBN) option in the list on the left. You will then see the preview window. It's not really clear that by selecting a different option on the left it changes what you see on the right.
    edited December 2009
    thejez;3331245 said:
    I just went through this very thing today. It is pretty confusing.

On the midi track you want to preview click the fx button. The FX window will open. Then click on the VSTi: RBN Preview (RBN) option in the list on the left. You will then see the preview window. It's not really clear that by selecting a different option on the left it changes what you see on the right.
    lol, thanks a lot! I didn't try to click there. :p

Interesting. ^^