Rock Band Network Recruitment - Volunteer For a Free Trial

Hey gang,

You’re an educated bunch, so I’m sure you’re all thoroughly informed about our plans for Rock Band Network. If you’re not, here’s some handy reading to give you the broad strokes that will get you up to speed. So here’s where we’re at now: we’re nearly at the open Beta and we’re looking to get more people from the forums involved. We recruited a handful of posters at the beginning of the closed Beta and some of them have been all star contributors to the early RBN process. We want more of that.

So what can you do to get involved? We’d like to develop a robust peer review team that will play every new song as it hits the pipeline, give Grade A comments, and ensure that these tracks are as tight as possible. And who better to peer review these submissions than the diehards on these forums? That’s what we thought.

If you’re interested in getting involved with RBN, post here and let us know. We’ll check in on this thread and draw from the pool of volunteers and hook some of you up with free trials of RBN in exchange for your time and feedback. We’re looking for people who are willing to make a serious commitment to peer reviewing and becoming an active part of the RBN creator community. If you’re not super charged about RBN, and if you maybe only try out new songs once every few months, then this maybe isn’t the thing for you. But if you’ve got the following…

1) an Xbox registered in the US with an XBL Gold Account
2) a PC
3) a burning desire to play more songs in RB
4) the enthusiasm for checking in for reviews on a regular basis

…then it sounds like this IS the thing for you. Post here, provide as many details as you feel necessary (how many hours a week you play RB, instrument of choice, recording background, etc) and we’ll start getting you plugged into RBN so you can say you were in on the ground floor and helped us shape the next step of music gaming.

Talk to you soon!
-HMXhenry

Comments

• AzwethinkweizAzwethinkweiz Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I'm interested.
    I play RB2 few hours a week, more if my friends get online. Plus I'm jobless(well not quite a good thing). I have a xbox(GT:Azwethinkweiz12) and a PC(since I'm typing this now). I play Guitar/Bass on expert, vocals from hard-expert, and forget the drums, I just plain suck at that, and I like to discover new music.
    So sign me up!
  • VriessVriess Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I am absolutely interested!

I have some musical composition knowledge, usually in tracking songs via FruityLoops and using sound samples in Garage Band. When it comes to real instruments, I have a Peavey T-15 Guitar that I really have very little knowledge in how to play (all those lessons I took as a kid pretty much taught me how to pick the main line of "Octopus's Garden" and that's about it.)

Normally I play about 6 hours of Rock Band 2/Beatles Rock Band a week, typically in the evenings and weekends.

I prefer to play on Hard vocals and Hard/Expert drums, usually depending on who I am playing with. My wife tends to play with me on Hard guitar or Hard/Expert bass.

What else might qualify me for this? I am very familiar with the XNA framework testing process, if needed, and have my PC already configured to compile and play XNA programs through my 360.

I also have a two year old son who loves watching the notes fall down the tracks, and often picks up the mic or guitar and hands it to me whenever he wants us to play. His favorite songs: Gay Bar and Any Way You Want It.

My wife and I are more than happy to test songs on lower difficulties than we normally play as well as other instrument combinations. Any genre, anytime.

Well hopefully that is enough, my gamertag is Vriess, hope to hear from you soon!
  • REL1203REL1203 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I would certainly be willing to help. I play RB for about about an hour and a half a day, just about every day of the week on xbox 360, GT= REL1203, and have beta tested 5+ other games in the past and have always provided feedback on multiple aspects of the game. I am very familur with how Beta Test work, and generally know what the publishers are looking to hear back from the Users (I also work in QC for Software development for my IRL job). I currently have about 600 total songs from the games, and love each and everyone.

Let me know, I would love to help.i Play Expert Guitar, Expert Bass, Med/Hard Drums, and my wife sings Med Vocals.
  • dgiles79dgiles79 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I would like to volunteer as a tester.

I usually play about 4-5 days per week, and each session is usually between 1-3 hours.

My instrument of choice is drums (expert), I also play Guitar/Bass and Vocals occasionally.

I also went to school for music technology and am familiar with mixing tracks and working with audio software like Sound Forge etc.

I am very excited for the Rock Band Network and would appreciate the opportunity to help test the songs and get RBN started.

Thanks.
  • mizdiz444mizdiz444 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I'm totally interested! I play rock band (2, Lego, & Beatles) at least 10 hours a week, mostly guitar or vocals. I have just started learning drums. I would love to join!
  • BenlikesthesalsaBenlikesthesalsa Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I would love to do this. I can sing, guitar, and bass on expert and i love all types of music so I wont have a shortage of songs to play. So sign me up........please?
  • DrifterUKDrifterUK Awesome Lake Ninja
    edited December 2009
    Im guessing theres no chance of this being open to non US residents, because Id love to do this, Im just not a US resident.
  • Darth_LogoDarth_Logo Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    This absolutely SCREAMS me!

Rock Band is literally one of the only games I play. It's basically that and my old Call of Duty 4, and Rock Band definitely gets more of my time. I'm about to reach 350 songs total in my library (I keep getting as much as I can afford to keep adding). I have, can play, and enjoying playing all of the peripherals. My main love is the drumset, but I keep pounding my way through them. I've currently pwned three different drumsets into submission (aka death), but I keep replacing them. =P I play all of the instruments on Expert (although I sometimes fail on crazy metal songs, I admit).

I play Rock Band every chance I get. During the week. I've been eyeing The Rock Band Network since it was in early beta. I follow every member of the HMX team and other third-party fansites on Twitter that I can find. I lurch on the forums. I live in Cambridge, Ohio... but wish I lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I've still got copies of Karaoke Revolution lying around. I hate to sound like a gushing fanboy, but that simply is what I am, Harmonix, and now seems like the best time to come out and admit it.

As far as musical background. My father works at a local radio station radio station. I've gone up there, and messed around with some recording myself. I know a bit of the background for authoring stuff in such a sense. I play the trombone, but have daveled with the bass guitar. I sing relatively well. My mp3 is jampacked with music from all genres. I'm a computer nerd, so I'm looking forward to seeing some of the stuff going on in the RBN.

I'm a Computer Science major, but I'm minoring in my passion, Music. The CS will pay the bills, but what I want to do someday is apply my Music minor towards my major and work with Music Technology. My hope is, honestly, to someday land a job at Harmonix in combining these two loves. I'm going to do everything in my power to make that happen, and this would be one nice little stepping stone towards that.

Despite the crazy nature of this current little biography on me, I do have to state that I can write more clearly and thoughtfully. I'm writing this in an excited haze, in between two of my finals here at OSU. @_@ I would definitely be fine with playing the music, and then writing reviews about it. Plus, my first Final today was in my History of Rock and Roll class, and I learned about many genres of Rock and Roll in there, and learned names and terms and things to listen for that could further help me in reviewing.

No matter what the outcome of my little self-indulgent rant in hopes of grabbing your attention towards me in this selection process, I thank you for all of the games you have created thus far, and thank you for a chance at becoming part of the process rather than just being another fan.

Yours truly,
    Darth Logo
    Gold Xbox Live Member, Music Nerd, Computer Geek, and Harmonix fanboy
  • BreakingBenBreakingBen Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I also heard about this over at Scorehero and decided that I'd like to give it a shot. I play Rock Band 1 imports, Rock Band 2, Lego RB, and of course epic DLC (I wonder which track pack was my favorite ;)) on a daily basis. Normally, I get to play a couple of hours a day and around 15 hours or so a week seeing as I do have enough free time to jam out to my favorite tunes. I would love to get a chance to help fine tune the Rock Band Network and give my honest opinion on what Harmonix plans on releasing. I also feel like I can contribute and give well thought out reviews for the up and coming Rock Band Network to make sure it helps revolutionize the rhythm gaming industry!

Instrument Breakdown (everything on Expert):
    Guitar: 70%
    Bass: 5%
    Drums: 10%
    Vocals: 15%

I mainly prefer guitar, but playing the other instruments occasionally is like a breath of fresh air, one that I can't get enough of sometimes.

GT: BreakBen
  • loto1226loto1226 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I would love to do this. I play at least once every day (usually for a few hours each time) because the game is awesome, and would love to give feedback on some new songs. My instruments are as follows:

Expert Drums-60%
    Expert Guitar-40%
    Expert Mic-6%
    Expert Bass-5%

... for a total of 111%, because that's how awesome this game is. I already have all of the DLC, so any new songs would be great to play! Although I have limited real life music talent, I am quite familiar with the charting process.

GT: loto1226
  • pinata242pinata242 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I would totally love to get in on this.

I play Expert Guitar/Bass primarily, but do dabble on Medium Drums and Hard Vocals. My daughter usually plays Drums or Vocals with me.

I play close to 20 hours per week across the various titles.
  • bobnjeffbobnjeff Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I'd be very interested. I get 10-15 hours a week to play (on a bad week, really). I play Bass and Vocals mostly (75% Bass, 25% Vocals), usually on Hard or Expert.
  • Nuke39Nuke39 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I would really love to help Harmonix with the Rock Band Network after the way that this company has affected video games. I will be a fair and just reviewer of any songs that are currently in the RBN community and will give specific details to better this game and program for the rhythm game community.

I play Guitar/Bass on Expert, can pass everything and 5 star most songs. I played Vocals on Expert as well, which tends to be the most difficult area to chart for RBN. Drums, I play on Hard but I can play the really easy songs on Expert. But that difficulty mode matters too.

I play Rock Band 2 very often and have beaten, played through, and downloaded content for The Beatles: Rock Band and Lego: Rock Band. I really, REALLY want to help Harmonix to become the strong company that it deserves to be.
  • flashburn2012flashburn2012 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I'd love to be a part of this. I've been playing since early Guitar Hero days (1+2), and have since moved on to playing Expert Drums almost exclusively. I probably play about 10-20 hours a week, and have almost every single song that is available. I also have over 10 years of experience doing QA and QE testing for gaming companies as well as hardware companies, so I know how to thoroughly test a product and write up feedback about it.

In short: Pick me, you won't regret it! :)
  • xxRaenxxRaen Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    This sounds awesome, and I'd love to be a part of it. Ever since I heard about RBN I've been really excited and I've wanted to find a way to get involved. Helping with peer review would ge a great way to get involved and I'd love to do it!

I play Rock Band on Expert for all instruments, most of the time. I do, however, occasionally have to pull down to Hard for really difficult or really fast songs (although not for vocals, I can play all songs on Expert there). As for how much time a week I play, I admit it's not generally very much, but that is simply the artifact of not having enough money to purchase any new songs. Should I be selected for this, I would do my best to peer review as many songs as I possibly could in order to really help this community out.

Beyond simply Rock Band, I also have a musical background. I've been in a post metal band playing guitar, bass, drums, and vocals, and I've recorded with that band in the stuido, as well as setting up a basic recording set up (very basic, just an interface and some dynamic mics that are super cheap) and recorded the band with that. I feel all these things make me a good choice to peer review.
  • GammaShadeGammaShade Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I am incredibly interested in this opportunity. I plan to graduate with a bachelor of science degree in the music industry in May. I feel that the Rock Band Network can change the face of the music industry as we know it. More often than not, I lose track of time playing Rock Band; if it were a job, I would be getting paid as a full-time employee. I spend most of my time on expert guitar, but I play songs on all four instruments generally within the first week of their release.

Even after all that, I find myself looking for more songs to play and more things to do in the game. I love discovering new music and have written reviews for many lesser-known artists like the Ghost Hounds, Cavil at Rest, and Picture Me Broken. Finally, my XBox Live account, GammaShade, is Gold-enabled and registered in the US, and I am currently posting from a PC.

Thank you for this opportunity.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    aw man, no one from Canada?
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited December 2009
    Unfortunately I don't have a Gold account right at this moment, but I could definitely fix that situation if need be without too much problem./

I was ready to get involved with the testing process but money just ran dry and I can't afford the XNA membership.

I play RB quite often and I mostly do vocals! My expert guitarist and bassist live here too though.

Don't really have a recording background though.
  • fireshoesfireshoes Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    I am very interested in joining the peer review. I played bass in my hs jazz band for three years, along with some music theory classes. Probably play 50% hard-expert drums (Ions), 30% expert bass, 15% hard vox, and 5% hard-expert guitar. I also have about 925 songs for the RB platform and have the Stage Kit. I would like to start doing RBN charting for midwest indie bands eventually, as well, so it would be nice to be involved in the process a bit now.
  • Die-Guitar-HeroDie-Guitar-Hero Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    I play Rock Band for at least 2 hours every day. Almost always expert drums, although I have a degree in Vocal Performance from ECU so vocal testing is certainly possible. I started out on drums for the first time two years ago (couldn't even get my foot to stop hitting the same time as my hands) and have developed into a pretty competent drummer. I am a bit picky when it comes to my Rock Band library (I have 730 songs) but I have a year of XBL Gold and I am totally down for doing peer reviews.
    Gamertag: Empfindsamkeit
  • brobotbrobot Sorbital, Silicon Dioxide and Magnesium Stearate
    edited December 2009
    I would like to sign up. I am a devout follower of all things rockband and play around 20+ hours a week split between Rockband 2, Lego Rockband and The Beatles. I play all instruments on expert.

I have recorded my own music in the past and have a grasp on the work needed with that.

I have also been part of the community for over two years and have gained a greater understanding of how the game works in that time. I hope to get RBN up and running soon for the 1000 plus songs I own now are getting lonely.
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited December 2009
    Forget it, of course its US only. Durrr
  • xDQxxDQx Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I'm game for some peer reviewing. I've played virtually every rhythm game to hit the U.S. over the last decade or more, and Rock Band is the only one I come back to on a weekly basis.

I play expert difficulty on all instruments, and though I'm not a skilled musician in real life, I believe I've developed a keen sense of what feels right in this kind of game. If you're willing to have me, I'd be overjoyed to help evaluate tracks for the Rock Band Network.
  • mutterfuddermutterfudder Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys, just wanted to throw my hat into the ring! XBL Gamertag MutterFudder. I think I'd be a good candidate for a few reasons:

1) I take part in a massive Rock Band gathering every Monday night, that usually involves 5-7 other people of various skill levels and instrument preferences. We play for about 4-5 hours or so. It'd be a good place to put some songs up and see how the charts hold up to different instruments and player's skill levels.

2) I've been playing music for almost 11 years now. So I'm pretty good with understanding rhythm and progressions, and how they should map to note charts.

3) I usually play on weekends with 2 friends who are also expert on guitar and drums. This would give us a good chance to experience charts at the highest level.

4) Back in the old days I submitted a few custom charts to ScoreHero. I'm pretty excited to see how RBN works as a pipeline and authoring system compared to ye olde hack a midi file :)

5) Um... 120GB Hard Drive?

6) Live in close proximity to Boston :)

7) Um... I'm out of ideas!

Thanks for the consideration!
  • bigpoppamjbigpoppamj Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    This sounds awesome.

I play all four instruments on expert, usually about 10 hours per week. More if my roommates are feeling into a jam session. I was a sound design major in college so I have a unique insight into the tech behind it. Also, I'm a full-time musician so I'd have tons of time to review as I mostly only "work" nights.

Very sweet gig you're offering.
  • StageBeansStageBeans Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    You know, the first thing you think when you see something like this is something along the lines of "Holy Free DLC, Batman!" but when you think about it a little more, it's a really great opportunity. It's great to have a wealth of songs at your disposal, but the most exciting part is getting involved in the creation process. Playing the songs may be a lot of fun, but being able to provide feedback on the songs in order to make them even better sounds so cool to me that I can't help jump at the chance!

Another part of getting involved in the RBN Peer Review system is the exposure to all different kinds of music. It's a credit to Harmonix how eye-opening just a quick game of Rock Band 2 can be to someone with musical reservations. After downloading over 400 songs in DLC, I've found myself enjoying songs I'd never even considered listening to through the game, and it's conditioned me to always be on the lookout for interesting groups or artists that I may not have been open to before. Not only is the RBN Peer Review system twice as good for finding new bands, it's glorious to someone like me who's musical reservations have been completely broken down entirely. I'm excited to play any song!

I cut my teeth on Guitar Hero II and have been playing expert on all instruments since the first Rock Band, but that's not as important as the fact that I play about 10-15 hours a week with my family and friends, who are non-expert players. Now, I'd venture a guess that a lot of people active on the forums and excited for this opportunity are dedicated, expert-level players. Heck, I'm one myself! But one thing I've seen stressed throughout the RBN documentation is that starting from Expert and working down, while necessary, is a difficult task, and is harder to get feedback for. While I play at expert, my family works on all different difficulties- hard drums here, medium vocals there, easy guitar, etc. In volunteering for the RBN Peer Review, I would be able to provide feedback on all different skill levels from the engaged perspective of someone comfortable at each level and not, say, jaded by playing on a difficulty that's "too easy." I spend most of the time that I'm rocking with these guys, so dedication is not an issue- they're as into the game as I am!

I've got all the qualifications- the US Live Gold membership, and the PC. Thanks so much for putting this call out! It seems like a great way to get feedback.

Edit: It can't hurt to clarify that I'm over 18. I figured I would get that out of the way. :)
  • JeffJKJeffJK Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Hey, I'm Jeff (XBL GamerTag - JeffJK) and i love Rock Band. To the point where my friends tease me about how much I play. Most often I do Hard/Expert drums or Hard vocals. I have a few hundred DLC songs and I bought The Beatles: Rock Band and LEGO: Rock Band as soon as I could. When I'm not too busy with school or work, I play RB2 4-6 times a week. I'm often trying to organize Rock Band parties at my house and am clamoring to get my hands on RBN.

Please choose me for RBN peer review!
  • CmosfmCmosfm Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Definitely interested! I play 3-5 times a week for about an hour at a time, mostly guitar on expert but I occasionally play Bass and Drums on expert as well. I do not play vocal. I'm very interested in providing feedback and really getting involved in the community and I could find more time to play if necessary. I meet all the criteria as well, gold account, pc, etc. etc.
  • RockBandAideRockBandAide Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I'd love to help out in the peer review process! I may have had the opportunity to help in the charting of some songs, but I wasn't confident I could dedicate the time necessary to perform an adequate job, but I have reviewed a song thus far as a favor to the artist, and I really enjoyed the process!

I've already got Magma installed and working, and have been able to audition tracks on my Xbox at home, so as far as meeting requirements, I think I'm all good. My weapon of choice is guitar/bass on expert, and am comfortable with drums and vocals on expert, as well. I usually try to play Rock Band about 30 minutes a day, but if I miss out, I catch up on the weekend with a several hour session. In terms of audio/recording background, I don't play any instruments now (with the exception of AC/DC's TNT on guitar), but I used to DJ in college and since the bar didn't have turntables, I would mix tracks in Cool Edit Pro and burn them to CD before heading out.

Thanks! You guys know how to reach me! ;)
  • kajotakajota Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I'm interested.

I play expert drums most of the time(and hard drums if the song is difficult enough to be fun on hard).

I also play expert guitar & bass from time to time. At least every Tuesday when new DLC comes out. (which I buy about 85% of)

Less frequently, I will play vocals on hard.

I play everyday for at least 30 min to an hour. Longer on weekends.

I have all the requirements you've mentioned (PC, Xbox live account etc).

What is it that you're looking for exactly? I mean, I'll play pretty much anything but are you looking for reviews on how fun the chart is / how accurate / errors in the charts etc? Are you looking for people to play on all the difficulties?
This discussion has been closed.