Rock Band Network Recruitment - Volunteer For a Free Trial

Comments

• GammaShadeGammaShade Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I am incredibly interested in this opportunity. I plan to graduate with a bachelor of science degree in the music industry in May. I feel that the Rock Band Network can change the face of the music industry as we know it. More often than not, I lose track of time playing Rock Band; if it were a job, I would be getting paid as a full-time employee. I spend most of my time on expert guitar, but I play songs on all four instruments generally within the first week of their release.

Even after all that, I find myself looking for more songs to play and more things to do in the game. I love discovering new music and have written reviews for many lesser-known artists like the Ghost Hounds, Cavil at Rest, and Picture Me Broken. Finally, my XBox Live account, GammaShade, is Gold-enabled and registered in the US, and I am currently posting from a PC.

Thank you for this opportunity.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    aw man, no one from Canada?
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited December 2009
    Unfortunately I don't have a Gold account right at this moment, but I could definitely fix that situation if need be without too much problem./

I was ready to get involved with the testing process but money just ran dry and I can't afford the XNA membership.

I play RB quite often and I mostly do vocals! My expert guitarist and bassist live here too though.

Don't really have a recording background though.
  • fireshoesfireshoes Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    I am very interested in joining the peer review. I played bass in my hs jazz band for three years, along with some music theory classes. Probably play 50% hard-expert drums (Ions), 30% expert bass, 15% hard vox, and 5% hard-expert guitar. I also have about 925 songs for the RB platform and have the Stage Kit. I would like to start doing RBN charting for midwest indie bands eventually, as well, so it would be nice to be involved in the process a bit now.
  • Die-Guitar-HeroDie-Guitar-Hero Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    I play Rock Band for at least 2 hours every day. Almost always expert drums, although I have a degree in Vocal Performance from ECU so vocal testing is certainly possible. I started out on drums for the first time two years ago (couldn't even get my foot to stop hitting the same time as my hands) and have developed into a pretty competent drummer. I am a bit picky when it comes to my Rock Band library (I have 730 songs) but I have a year of XBL Gold and I am totally down for doing peer reviews.
    Gamertag: Empfindsamkeit
  • brobotbrobot Sorbital, Silicon Dioxide and Magnesium Stearate
    edited December 2009
    I would like to sign up. I am a devout follower of all things rockband and play around 20+ hours a week split between Rockband 2, Lego Rockband and The Beatles. I play all instruments on expert.

I have recorded my own music in the past and have a grasp on the work needed with that.

I have also been part of the community for over two years and have gained a greater understanding of how the game works in that time. I hope to get RBN up and running soon for the 1000 plus songs I own now are getting lonely.
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited December 2009
    Forget it, of course its US only. Durrr
  • xDQxxDQx Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I'm game for some peer reviewing. I've played virtually every rhythm game to hit the U.S. over the last decade or more, and Rock Band is the only one I come back to on a weekly basis.

I play expert difficulty on all instruments, and though I'm not a skilled musician in real life, I believe I've developed a keen sense of what feels right in this kind of game. If you're willing to have me, I'd be overjoyed to help evaluate tracks for the Rock Band Network.
  • mutterfuddermutterfudder Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys, just wanted to throw my hat into the ring! XBL Gamertag MutterFudder. I think I'd be a good candidate for a few reasons:

1) I take part in a massive Rock Band gathering every Monday night, that usually involves 5-7 other people of various skill levels and instrument preferences. We play for about 4-5 hours or so. It'd be a good place to put some songs up and see how the charts hold up to different instruments and player's skill levels.

2) I've been playing music for almost 11 years now. So I'm pretty good with understanding rhythm and progressions, and how they should map to note charts.

3) I usually play on weekends with 2 friends who are also expert on guitar and drums. This would give us a good chance to experience charts at the highest level.

4) Back in the old days I submitted a few custom charts to ScoreHero. I'm pretty excited to see how RBN works as a pipeline and authoring system compared to ye olde hack a midi file :)

5) Um... 120GB Hard Drive?

6) Live in close proximity to Boston :)

7) Um... I'm out of ideas!

Thanks for the consideration!
  • bigpoppamjbigpoppamj Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    This sounds awesome.

I play all four instruments on expert, usually about 10 hours per week. More if my roommates are feeling into a jam session. I was a sound design major in college so I have a unique insight into the tech behind it. Also, I'm a full-time musician so I'd have tons of time to review as I mostly only "work" nights.

Very sweet gig you're offering.
  • StageBeansStageBeans Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    You know, the first thing you think when you see something like this is something along the lines of "Holy Free DLC, Batman!" but when you think about it a little more, it's a really great opportunity. It's great to have a wealth of songs at your disposal, but the most exciting part is getting involved in the creation process. Playing the songs may be a lot of fun, but being able to provide feedback on the songs in order to make them even better sounds so cool to me that I can't help jump at the chance!

Another part of getting involved in the RBN Peer Review system is the exposure to all different kinds of music. It's a credit to Harmonix how eye-opening just a quick game of Rock Band 2 can be to someone with musical reservations. After downloading over 400 songs in DLC, I've found myself enjoying songs I'd never even considered listening to through the game, and it's conditioned me to always be on the lookout for interesting groups or artists that I may not have been open to before. Not only is the RBN Peer Review system twice as good for finding new bands, it's glorious to someone like me who's musical reservations have been completely broken down entirely. I'm excited to play any song!

I cut my teeth on Guitar Hero II and have been playing expert on all instruments since the first Rock Band, but that's not as important as the fact that I play about 10-15 hours a week with my family and friends, who are non-expert players. Now, I'd venture a guess that a lot of people active on the forums and excited for this opportunity are dedicated, expert-level players. Heck, I'm one myself! But one thing I've seen stressed throughout the RBN documentation is that starting from Expert and working down, while necessary, is a difficult task, and is harder to get feedback for. While I play at expert, my family works on all different difficulties- hard drums here, medium vocals there, easy guitar, etc. In volunteering for the RBN Peer Review, I would be able to provide feedback on all different skill levels from the engaged perspective of someone comfortable at each level and not, say, jaded by playing on a difficulty that's "too easy." I spend most of the time that I'm rocking with these guys, so dedication is not an issue- they're as into the game as I am!

I've got all the qualifications- the US Live Gold membership, and the PC. Thanks so much for putting this call out! It seems like a great way to get feedback.

Edit: It can't hurt to clarify that I'm over 18. I figured I would get that out of the way. :)
  • JeffJKJeffJK Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Hey, I'm Jeff (XBL GamerTag - JeffJK) and i love Rock Band. To the point where my friends tease me about how much I play. Most often I do Hard/Expert drums or Hard vocals. I have a few hundred DLC songs and I bought The Beatles: Rock Band and LEGO: Rock Band as soon as I could. When I'm not too busy with school or work, I play RB2 4-6 times a week. I'm often trying to organize Rock Band parties at my house and am clamoring to get my hands on RBN.

Please choose me for RBN peer review!
  • CmosfmCmosfm Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Definitely interested! I play 3-5 times a week for about an hour at a time, mostly guitar on expert but I occasionally play Bass and Drums on expert as well. I do not play vocal. I'm very interested in providing feedback and really getting involved in the community and I could find more time to play if necessary. I meet all the criteria as well, gold account, pc, etc. etc.
  • RockBandAideRockBandAide Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I'd love to help out in the peer review process! I may have had the opportunity to help in the charting of some songs, but I wasn't confident I could dedicate the time necessary to perform an adequate job, but I have reviewed a song thus far as a favor to the artist, and I really enjoyed the process!

I've already got Magma installed and working, and have been able to audition tracks on my Xbox at home, so as far as meeting requirements, I think I'm all good. My weapon of choice is guitar/bass on expert, and am comfortable with drums and vocals on expert, as well. I usually try to play Rock Band about 30 minutes a day, but if I miss out, I catch up on the weekend with a several hour session. In terms of audio/recording background, I don't play any instruments now (with the exception of AC/DC's TNT on guitar), but I used to DJ in college and since the bar didn't have turntables, I would mix tracks in Cool Edit Pro and burn them to CD before heading out.

Thanks! You guys know how to reach me! ;)
  • kajotakajota Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I'm interested.

I play expert drums most of the time(and hard drums if the song is difficult enough to be fun on hard).

I also play expert guitar & bass from time to time. At least every Tuesday when new DLC comes out. (which I buy about 85% of)

Less frequently, I will play vocals on hard.

I play everyday for at least 30 min to an hour. Longer on weekends.

I have all the requirements you've mentioned (PC, Xbox live account etc).

What is it that you're looking for exactly? I mean, I'll play pretty much anything but are you looking for reviews on how fun the chart is / how accurate / errors in the charts etc? Are you looking for people to play on all the difficulties?
  • pksagepksage Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I've been an author with Rhythm Authors for several months now, and I've been itching to comment on tracks released by the entire RBN community, and not just our own. :) Working with Rhythm Authors has been (is!) a wonderful experience, but I really want help the peer review process get off the ground.

I've got around 5 months' experience working with RBN, and have been auditioning since the day the patch dropped. I author a little bit of everything, but my QA passes tend to focus on vocals and guitar/bass, which would be the bulk of my contributions to the peer reviews. (Vox in particular is a fantastic place to harness one's grammar OCD for the power of good!) Before RBN, I did custom songs for GH and RB, and always tried to focus on robust Easy/Medium/Hard charts when most of the community only authored Expert. I'm a big QA stickler -- though always in constructive ways, these days -- and I think that I can help the closed beta get the expert voices it needs to be a fully-fledged community. Thanks!

(Note: This shouldn't need to be said, but I wouldn't pass RA songs if there's rules in place to prevent that, as I imagine there are. I want our songs to pass on their own strengths, not on us spamming them with up-votes.)

EDIT: Oh, right. XBL gamertag "pksage". :)
  • CharronCharron Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I'll throw my hat in! I meet the specs, play anywhere from 1 to 10 hours a week depending on workload (about 75% expert drums, 25% expert guitar/bass; can't exactly sing though, maybe medium or hard at most), I'm even working myself up as an author so I'm fairly familiar with the backend half of RBN. As for writing capacity, I wrote a frakkin' novel, I can be verbose when needed. (And I use big words like 'verbose'.)

(XBL Tag: Kiya Ichiko)
  • darleydarley Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I play 10-15 hours a week. Drums, Bass & Vocals on Expert. I have mixed sound before and work in tandem with my brother who is a "real" musician. I have talked to him about this idea and he wants to get an 360 just for this purpose. This would be very exciting to participate in.
  • FaultFault Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I would LOVE to get in on something like this. I've already been playing around with the Reaper tools (as a trial, because I'm dirt poor right now), and have looked over all the documentation repeatedly. I'll probably be getting into authoring sometime next year, when I can afford the setup, and can get some audio from the local band I know.

Anyway, as for what I do in Rock Band, I'm an Ex Vocalist/Guitarist (one at a time or both at once), and at least until I just had some major dental work done and spent a week with my mouth shut, I'd play Rock Band (or LRB or BRB) almost every day, much to the chagrin of my wife, who doesn't appreciate the volume levels I enjoy. I also get very full of rage when charts (especially on vocals) don't feel like they match, which has only happened a couple times in Rock Band (the chorus of Bounce comes to mind) and more than a few times in... other music games.

Anyway, hope to get in, and if not, well, like I said, I'll see you on the other side next year, anyway. :D
  • travmeatwadtravmeatwad Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    This is definitely something I'd be interested in.

With school I haven't been able to play RB as much as I used to, but after next week I'll be on break, and I can play about 5-8 or so hours a week.

I play Expert Guitar/Bass and Drums. Sometimes Hard since I can't do every song, but for the most part Expert. I don't do Vocals very often.

I'd say Drums take up most of my time with the game, though.
  • Jrocker23Jrocker23 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I would defenitely be interested in helping with the community. Pls consider me. Thanks
  • layrothlayroth Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I play RB around 15 - 20 hours a week and thirst for more content.
    I play all the instruments but prefer bass, guitar and drums. (I can carry a tune in a bucket but thats about it).

I worked in radio for 8 years as both a DJ and as a Program Director. I have experience with the A&R side of the business as well.

I look forward to taking part
  • BururianBururian Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I don't think I need to over justify myself here. I enjoy Rock Band, I play it every day, and I always enjoy trying out new songs, and I fit the requirements that are needed to volunteer. I would definitely like to be considered to participate in the RBN.
  • twinkiebeyondtwinkiebeyond Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I'm so interested in this that I've quit my job to commit to this on a full-time basis. Well, actually, they fired me after I told them that I'd "rather play video games than continue doing this sh*t." But that's neither here nor there.

1) Xbox 360 Gamer Tag - Twinkie Beyond
    2) PC? Check!
    3) "A burning desire to play more songs in RB" amongst other burnings. Take that however you'd like.
    4) The enthusiasm for checking in for reviews on a regular basis? Check! I mean...10 out of 10! Did I get the job?

How many hours a week I play RB? 10 to 15 hours a week. At least two RB parties a month that run at least six hours.
    Instrument of choice? Guitar (or bass) on Expert 50% of the time. Drums on Expert 25% of the time. Vocals 25% of the time. Awesome 100% of the time.

Thanks!
  • leftybrownleftybrown Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I put in several hours each week on either Rock Band 2, The Beatles, or a few of the off-shoots. I mostly play guitar/bass (on hard) and vocals.(hard or expert).

I record and edit our podcast, The Married Gamers, where we talk about Rock Band a metric ton. I have little music stage or studio experience.

xbl gold gamertag: leftybrown
  • MajinyoshiMajinyoshi Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I play Rockband at least 4 hours a day 7 days a week. So, thats about 28 hours a week. And this isn't counting my Rockband, Beatles Rockband, and Lego Rockband parties I have some weekends where me and my friends are up until 6 in the morning playing. I have just about every DLC song, and I mainly play guitar and bass on expert. I play Vocals and drums on hard as well. Sometimes expert. I'm also a musician myself. I play bass, clarinet, and saxophone. I have even played a few shows at the Stone Pony in NJ. Anyway, I just got laid off from my accounting job, so I'll have plenty of time to play the RBN. I'm really excited about it, and I promise to be a top contributor if you pick me. You will not be disappointed. I'm 23 with a BA and soon to get an MBA. I put 100% effort into everything I do, and the RBN would be no different. I would love to be able to say that I helped music gaming take the step to the next level. Hope to hear from you guys soon!

XBL: Whisky Hz Soco
  • HeXcodaHeXcoda Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I'm an expert vocalist with years of experience with prior music games (Karaoke Revolution, SingStar, etc). I'd love to provide some vocals reviews, which are going to be critical considering RBN will largely be indie songs people may not have heard before -- and that makes things harder on the vocalist. Good charting is a must, there.

Interestingly, I also do guitar -- on Medium. My physical disability and reflexes don't let me get much higher. Now, when playing online, that's a drawback, but for Q&A that's great because I've experienced a LOT of Medium charts and I know what goes into a good one, and can call out when it's too difficult, four buttons or not.

I play Rock Band for 6 hours or so a week, I've sequenced and self-published my own electronic music and done plenty of amateur sound processing to convert audio files and tune 'em up nice, and I've got enough technical knowhow to work with the RBN tools.
  • dta9316dta9316 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    This sounds like it would be awesome! I play RB quite frequently and already have a lot of DLC. For the most part, I play guitar/bass but I do play drums/vocals if a song sounds fun enough.
  • gnutz87gnutz87 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Woot! I play drums mostly and can pass almost all songs on expert on all instruments. I do have some recording experience and am going to school for that kind of thing right now. Rock Band is a hobby of mine and I would love to preview songs. I have tried to chart songs, but found it to be very time consuming. I love to play people's creations, so bring it on!
  • MarcKingstonMarcKingston Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I play about 14-20 hours of Rock Band a week depending. I can't remember the last time I didn't play RB on any given day, usually about an hour or two of solo play or up to 3-4 (sometimes 5-6) hours of online play with friends. I've played a lot of different songs; I have 400+ DLC, only because I had to delete some to make room in my 60GB hard drive, though I'll be switching to a 120GB in the next week or so. Up until my HD space got inescapably cluttered I would frequently purchase and download the newest DLC (though not quite to the extent of buying every last song).

I love playing new songs as long as they're fun, regardless of my musical taste for them. I've been playing rhythm games for about 5 years now starting with GH2, and I bought RB1, RB2 and TB:RB on release day. I play every instrument pretty dang well on expert, mostly drums and vocals lately though I also have tons of experience on bass. I think I'm a pretty good judge of a chart's quality, and have a keen ear for what's going on in the background of a song. I'm really excited for what this service offers, and hope I'm lucky enough to get in on it!
This discussion has been closed.