Actual band members that have played there own songs in "Audition Mode"

Chuck_FiascoChuck_Fiasco Road Warrior
edited December 2009 in The Rock Band Network
How many of you have played your own songs on RB Audition Mode and how close do they feel like playing them on your real instruments?

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2009
    I have! From a thread in the Creators forum about our song "Rx":
    davidshek said:
    Finally got the whole band over here to play through this song. They all had a blast watching themselves in animated form. :)

At first I had the whole band just watch Autoplay go through on Expert, and then Easy, and they all thought Easy (on guitar and bass) was lacking too many notes. So then they wanted to play it, and I put them on their own instruments, on Medium (No Fail). It should be noted that none of them have actually really played any RB or GH before. End results? Guitarist got like 51%, with a whopping 19% on the solo, and Bass didn't do much better, 64%. :-D
    On drums, as I'm sure you (all) know, playing in the game is very similar, motion-wise, to playing on a real kit. And Rhythm Authors did a fantastic job of representing what I play in "Rx" in the RB note chart. That being said, I still haven't FC'd this (98% is my highest so far...) :D
  • NSIYusukeNSIYusuke Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Well, I've charted my own songs in REAPER and played the charts and such in Frets on Fire Fix, and while it's not exactly the same, I can tell you that I've failed on "Force", right near the end. The insane tapping parts are just too intense in Rockband! But man, it feels awesome to play my own songs in something similar to Rockband.
  • doodlebrodoodlebro Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    This might count.

I love playing Valkyrie Missile on (real) drums and guitar, so I decided to chart it full band to use as a video I show bands who are interested in working with me on RBN. It's hella fun to play. That is all. :D
  • MickstafaMickstafa Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I had Glass Hammer and Modern Skirts come over to playtest their songs before I sent them up for playtesting. I have video of it that may see the light of day some day. It's quite cool to have the band playing their own stuff!
  • Podruvan360Podruvan360 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Mickstafa;3338095 said:
    I had Glass Hammer and Modern Skirts come over to playtest their songs before I sent them up for playtesting. I have video of it that may see the light of day some day. It's quite cool to have the band playing their own stuff!
    Glass Hammer? For real? That's awesome. I can't wait to buy their songs on RBN.

On a related note I've played some of my music in Rock Band. The drums are real similar, but the guitar part is quite different, seeing as how I originally played it on a keyboard.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Played my own stuff, though I'm also a RB player so it wasn't unnatural as it would be to a RB-noob:

* Drums: I record with electronic pads to begin with, so it's pretty close. Of course, my setup (two Alesis ControlPad units chained together) has 16 pads and three pedals, so RB is a little stripped down. ;)

* Guitar: Surprisingly good feel for chords. Palm muting is somewhat problematic. Arpeggios translate notoriously poorly. And my soloing style is super-sloppy, so I can't even pass my own fast stuff! :D

* Bass: No slap bass style! :p Not no blisters, either. ;)

* Vox: It's the real deal! :cool: You can dig up my very first post here on charting one of my vox parts and then sucking at it. Turns out, though, that I was using bad charting techniques, which made it hard to do well. Lots better now.

- m
  • hewstigatorhewstigator Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Markleford;3339542 said:

* Vox: It's the real deal! :cool: You can dig up my very first post here on charting one of my vox parts and then sucking at it. Turns out, though, that I was using bad charting techniques, which made it hard to do well. Lots better now.

- m
    +1 for charting own vox part, and then sucking at it - after digesting the vox tracks so that they lock onto the "right notes" (i had a bit of bleed through on the original recording, so i sort of gated, filtered and autotuned my way through) when i actually attempt to play the song in RB2 it really demonstrates how sloppily i often sing, doh! good training tool, though.

it is crazily surreal to play these songs in "virtual live" for the first time. although in our case, i couldn't completely suspend disbelief since (as far as i know) the engine lacks certain directions that are key to recreating our live shows, for example, "guitarist trips over own cord" or "band members exchange confused glances as to which song they are actually playing"

-h
    www.myspace.com/thenewlines
  • Chuck_FiascoChuck_Fiasco Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    davidshek;3337463 said:
    I have! From a thread in the Creators forum about our song "Rx":

On drums, as I'm sure you (all) know, playing in the game is very similar, motion-wise, to playing on a real kit. And Rhythm Authors did a fantastic job of representing what I play in "Rx" in the RB note chart. That being said, I still haven't FC'd this (98% is my highest so far...) :D
    Thats hilarious that you have trouble FCing your own song!!! :p
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2009
    Chuck_Fiasco;3340342 said:
    Thats hilarious that you have trouble FCing your own song!!! :p
    Well, I never play it the exact same way twice. So the fills I used in the studio aren't necessarily the same ones I play when we play it live.

But I did better than Maria (our singer)! I think she got like 84% on Expert the first time she tried to sing it. :)
  • WalterrrrWalterrrr Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    hewstigator;3340215 said:
    since (as far as i know) the engine lacks certain directions that are key to recreating our live shows, for example, "guitarist trips over own cord" or "band members exchange confused glances as to which song they are actually playing"

Brilliant!

Don't forget to request "band gets lost on the way to the stage" and "Drummer explodes"