Lennon Documentary

ZorbaruZorbaru Opening Act
edited December 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
i saw this the other night on bio channel, went in and analysed the mind and motives of the what they refered to as one of the most infamous killers of all time

was actually really facinating.

Comments

• FERRARI777FERRARI777 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
  • RyuzakiRyuzaki Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Started as a troll and then turned into a lame shock.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited December 2009
    Mark Chapman was a very disturbed and confused person. After all I've read, I'm still not entirely sure why he did it.
  • edited December 2009
    instantdeath999;3339863 said:
    Mark Chapman was a very disturbed and confused person. After all I've read, I'm still not entirely sure why he did it.
    I think you kind of answered your own question.

But yeah, using something like that as an attention grabber for a forum about something Beatles related isn't really that great of an idea.
  • SpantasySpantasy Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I think you should change the name of the thread out of respect for the rest of the people in the forum.
  • ZorbaruZorbaru Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    sorry to those people not happy with the title of the thread. i have now changed it to be more clear about what the thread is about. edit: looks like it doesnt actually change it in the index of the forum. if a moderator is able to do this it would be much appreciated.

from what i gathered, he identified with the main character in "catcher in the rye" who travelled to the city and declared war on the hypocrites.

he then decided that john lennon was a hypocrite as he had become rich from the beatles (his beleif was that john giving the impression that he was not into materialistic ideals, but still made loads of cash, making him a hypocrite). couple that with his narcicism that made him want to be a celebrity, be it for good bad or indifferent reasons. he decided that the best way would be to kill john lennon.
  • edited December 2009
    Zorbaru;3339967 said:
    from what i gathered, he identified with the main character in "catcher in the rye" who travelled to the city and declared war on the hypocrites.

he then decided that john lennon was a hypocrite as he had become rich from the beatles (his beleif was that john giving the impression that he was not into materialistic ideals, but still made loads of cash, making him a hypocrite). couple that with his narcicism that made him want to be a celebrity, be it for good bad or indifferent reasons. he decided that the best way would be to kill john lennon.
    :/

I guess he is like the main character in Catcher in the Rye in the sense that he's a stupid annoying self-centered bastard.
    edited December 2009
    Zorbaru;3339967 said:
    sorry to those people not happy with the title of the thread. i have now changed it to be more clear about what the thread is about.

It's been described in many different ways. Some sources say that he heard "voices" in his head, and they told him to kill John Lennon. Others say that he was extremely angry with Lennon over his "bigger than Jesus" comments, as he was a huge Christian. Others say that he felt that, by killing John, he could identify closer with the main character of The Catcher in the Rye (which I really need to read). And finally, other say it was just so he could become famous. Personally, I think it's a bit from all.
    edited December 2009
    thanks to whoever changed it.

no offense was meant to anyone. i apologise to those offended by the original title.
    edited December 2009
    I also remember reading something about him being very angry about the song "God", particularly the lines about god and the line "I don't believe in Beatles". I know he considered John a traitor, for whatever reason.

Interesting trivia; on the plane ride to New York, Chapman brought along a cassette player with 14 hours worth of Beatles music.
    edited December 2009
    on the night of the murder, he was waiting outside lennons house with a copy of his latest record. there was a photographer there also. when john came out of the house he asked john to sign his record, which he did. the photographer took a picture of john signing the record with chapman in the background.

how do you think that photographer would have felt when he found out what happened a few hours later.
  • TheCulpritTheCulprit Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa!

The "main character from The Catcher in the Rye" known as Holden Caulfield by those who have actually read the book doesn't declare war on anyone and certainly never kills anyone. He's an uncertain boy who wants to preserve childhood innocence. He may be a little on the side of cynicism, but he's not whiny!

I'm disappointed by the lack of literacy on this forum. Anyway, it is true that Chapman was obsessed with the book and was found on the scene by police reading it.

In one interview he claimed that the reason he killed Lennon was because John knew where the ducks went in winter but wouldn't tell him (which is a reference to a recurring question in the novel, for those of you who have not read). But he has given different reasons at different times. Other times, he claimed he was the real Lennon and that he shot an impostor, and another time he said if he killed Lennon, he would absorb his fame.

Messed up sicko, no doubt. Even though now, he is reportedly an ordained evangelical in prison. And he's in a nice cushy Martha Stewart style prison with conjugal visitation as well. He's not suffering too bad.
  • RingoStarr67RingoStarr67 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Mark Chapman was diagnosed as a schizophrenic he told Barbara Walters that a voice in his head told him "Do it, Do it, Do it!". Although he killed John atleast he it wasn't enitrely his fault seeing as he had this conditon.
  • The_MisfitsThe_Misfits Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    TheCulprit;3340122 said:
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa!

The "main character from The Catcher in the Rye" known as Holden Caulfield by those who have actually read the book doesn't declare war on anyone and certainly never kills anyone. He's an uncertain boy who wants to preserve childhood innocence. He may be a little on the side of cynicism, but he's not whiny!

I'm disappointed by the lack of literacy on this forum. Anyway, it is true that Chapman was obsessed with the book and was found on the scene by police reading it.

In one interview he claimed that the reason he killed Lennon was because John knew where the ducks went in winter but wouldn't tell him (which is a reference to a recurring question in the novel, for those of you who have not read). But he has given different reasons at different times. Other times, he claimed he was the real Lennon and that he shot an impostor, and another time he said if he killed Lennon, he would absorb his fame.

Messed up sicko, no doubt. Even though now, he is reportedly an ordained evangelical in prison. And he's in a nice cushy Martha Stewart style prison with conjugal visitation as well. He's not suffering too bad.
    Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa!

I have no idea where you got your information from about the prison he is in. He is in the Attica State Pen. its not a Federal Resort like Martha Stewart stayed in. Its a state pen. he's sitting there with other inmates there for life.
  • jammmerjammmer Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    RingoStarr67;3340764 said:
    Mark Chapman was diagnosed as a schizophrenic he told Barbara Walters that a voice in his head told him "Do it, Do it, Do it!". Although he killed John atleast he it wasn't enitrely his fault seeing as he had this conditon.
    They should of gave him the death penalty,and killed both of his crazy arses.
  • justicebostonjusticeboston Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    i think people need to do some research. this thread is full of misinformation.
    RingoStarr67;3340764 said:
    Mark Chapman was diagnosed as a schizophrenic he told Barbara Walters that a voice in his head told him "Do it, Do it, Do it!".
    wow, that was taken completely out of context. mark chapman is and never was a schizophrenic.
  • TheCulpritTheCulprit Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    The_Misfits;3340939 said:
    Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa!

I have no idea where you got your information from about the prison he is in. He is in the Attica State Pen. its not a Federal Resort like Martha Stewart stayed in. Its a state pen. he's sitting there with other inmates there for life.
    Ok, it's not as cushy as I made it sound, but he DOES have a private cell, is given freedom to work on gardening, in the library and in the kitchen. He is married, and is:

"...on the Family Reunion Program, and is allowed two conjugal visits a year with his wife. The program allows him to spend up to 42 hours alone with his wife in a specially built prison home. He gets occasional visits from his sister, a few friends, clerics, and his wife."

This sounds pretty cushy for a murderer to me.
    edited December 2009
    some murderers would be out after 25 years so at least he is still locked up, regardless of how "cushy" it is.