VGA Win = DLC indefinite?

CyberKFoxCyberKFox Opening Act
edited December 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Congrats Harmonix for winning Best Music Game at the VGA for The Beatles Rock Band

Does this convince you to NOT abandon ship on this game in terms of DLC?

Comments

  • Kenny-BandKenny-Band Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Who said they were abandoning DLC?
  • CyberKFoxCyberKFox Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Kenny-Band;3341474 said:
    Who said they were abandoning DLC?
    They stated that future DLC of THIS game will depend on the sale of DLC
    so far no reported sales of either Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper DLC
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the merits of that awards show. TBRB deserved to win, of course, but this is the award show that said Megan Fox was the best female voice acting for a videogame. And she sucks in the FILM version of Transformers...
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    CyberKFox;3341511 said:
    They stated that future DLC of THIS game will depend on the sale of DLC
    so far no reported sales of either Abbey Road or Sgt. Pepper DLC
    That statement has already been refuted. The sales of DLC are not the deciding factor.

    And since I know you'll just demand for me to post a link or you'll presume I'm lying.........

    http://www.examiner.com/x-2082-Beatles-Examiner~y2009m10d16-EXCLUSIVE-First-preview-of-new-Abbey-Road-download-album-content-for-The-Beatles-Rock-Band

    Quote: "And the spokesman was quick to dispel stories like this one around the internet that future DLC content is dependent on sales of the CDs. The spokesman said it's just not true."
  • seinmanseinman Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    mva5580;3341659 said:
    Quote: "And the spokesman was quick to dispel stories like this one around the internet that future DLC content is dependent on sales of the CDs. The spokesman said it's just not true."
    Did you even bother to read what you pasted? They said future DLC is not dependent on sales of the CDs. Compact Discs. It says absolutely nothing about future DLCs being dependent (or not) on past DLC sales.
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    seinman;3341720 said:
    Did you even bother to read what you pasted? They said future DLC is not dependent on sales of the CDs. Compact Discs. It says absolutely nothing about future DLCs being dependent (or not) on past DLC sales.
    Did you even bother to read the link? The quote was referencing this story. They clearly meant DLC albums.
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    seinman;3341720 said:
    Did you even bother to read what you pasted? They said future DLC is not dependent on sales of the CDs. Compact Discs. It says absolutely nothing about future DLCs being dependent (or not) on past DLC sales.
    Did you bother to work on your reading comprehension skills? So the person said "CD's" instead of "DLC albums." Big freaking difference. If you REALLY read that as meaning that future Beatles: Rock Band DLC was dependent on how well the remastered CD's sold, you've got bigger problems than I'm capable of dealing with.
  • jl8ejl8e Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Of course future DLC is going to be based on sales -- if it's clearly going to be a medium-to-long-term money loser, they'd be fools to continue.

    If the DLC is covering its costs over the course of a few months, then I'd expect them to continue, since once it's broken even, it's pretty much pure profit from then on.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Heh, I remember the first year of the VGAs... Madden won best game. No, not best sports game, game of the year.

    That's when I stopped caring what they had to say.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    mva5580;3341796 said:
    Did you bother to work on your reading comprehension skills? So the person said "CD's" instead of "DLC albums." Big freaking difference. If you REALLY read that as meaning that future Beatles: Rock Band DLC was dependent on how well the remastered CD's sold, you've got bigger problems than I'm capable of dealing with.
    If the writer said CDs when asking the Harmonix rep, it's a huge difference. It's common business sense not to continue something that's losing money. Think it's a coincidence that no one bought Rock Band Unplugged, and then they quietly stop putting out weekly DLC for it?

    I'm still of the opinion that the original story is being blown way out of proportion. I'm sure the albums are selling fine, and will only get better during the holidays. These lads were more popular than Jesus, after all.

    (speaking of quotes that got blown way out of proportion)
  • PCTraitorPCTraitor Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    jl8e;3341844 said:
    Of course future DLC is going to be based on sales -- if it's clearly going to be a medium-to-long-term money loser, they'd be fools to continue.

    If the DLC is covering its costs over the course of a few months, then I'd expect them to continue, since once it's broken even, it's pretty much pure profit from then on.
    I'm not sure how much the cost for DLC really is though. Downloadable content has to be more cost effective than actual physical media. They have to pay Niles to seperate the tracks and for whoever does the graphics and charting for the song. As for the Beatles, whomever holds the rights to their songs, Harmonix and Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo, I figure they get their money per unit sold not in advance.
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    If the Beatles enjoy hideous awards/trophies, then sure :D
  • Diego81Diego81 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I have a feeling that even within HMX there are confused about future DLC.

    Steve Marinucci (who I trust to be a very believable source, I've followed his Beatles News Site for years) first reported this when someone told him to ask directly:
    "I also saw your comment regarding my question about the story regarding the Beatles DLC depending on album sales. I asked that question directly and the direct answer was no, that story was not true."

    So obviously someone at HMX told him that, I don't think he would make it up.

    Then he updated the story with this:

    Update: We're told that the "All You Need is Love" exclusivity is not tied to "Magical Mystery Tour" album and that no plans to release any future albums beyond "Sgt Pepper" and "Rubber Soul" have been made.

    So I think HMX is going back and forth with this issue.
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Diego81;3343155 said:
    I have a feeling that even within HMX there are confused about future DLC.

    Steve Marinucci (who I trust to be a very believable source, I've followed his Beatles News Site for years) first reported this when someone told him to ask directly:
    "I also saw your comment regarding my question about the story regarding the Beatles DLC depending on album sales. I asked that question directly and the direct answer was no, that story was not true."

    So obviously someone at HMX told him that, I don't think he would make it up.

    Then he updated the story with this:

    Update: We're told that the "All You Need is Love" exclusivity is not tied to "Magical Mystery Tour" album and that no plans to release any future albums beyond "Sgt Pepper" and "Rubber Soul" have been made.

    So I think HMX is going back and forth with this issue.
    I thought the whole "update" thing was because the author originally reported that All You Need is Love would be released along with the rest of Magical Mystery Tour when it comes out for the Wii and PS3; which wasn't confirmed. It didn't have anything to do with HMX being unsure about whether they would have more DLC.
  • Diego81Diego81 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Even if there's more DLC eventually, it seems really unlikely we'll get anything in January and probably even February.
  • edited December 2009
    I think it ultimately hinges on how much cost/effort is involved in the digital separation process required to get usable masters.

    I personally don't know much about it, but it sounds like it would be painstakingly slow and tedious.
  • quinakingquinaking Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    VGA's aren't credible awards, I doubt Harmonix cared if they won or not.
  • TheCulpritTheCulprit Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Diego81;3343247 said:
    Even if there's more DLC eventually, it seems really unlikely we'll get anything in January and probably even February.
    I disagree. I tend to think that if these three albums were all we were going to get for a while, I think they would've spaced them out a little more, like every three months or something like that...

    I fully expect DLC to be announced for January. If it's not, I won't come on here and post some angry ranting blather about boycotting HMX, nor will I even be the remotest bit upset, but I will be mildly surprised.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    quinaking;3343680 said:
    VGA's aren't credible awards, I doubt Harmonix cared if they won or not.
    Considering they thought the VGAs would be the best place to announce Green Day: Rock Band, I think Viacom makes HMX care. (Viacom owns Spike as well right?)
  • WeeJayWeeJay Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    As I said before, as long as we get more than three friggin albums, I'll be fine. Let it Be, White Album, Help!, Revolver, you know, even one of these albums and I'd be content. Most likely it'll be Help!, since we only got on on-disc song of it.
Sign In or Register to comment.