Oh no!

animemetalheadanimemetalhead Road Warrior
edited December 2009 in The Rock Band Network
So, I just got word that I'll be getting a renewed XBox Live Gold account and a premium XNA membership for Christmas, so I went ahead and built my song. One problem...

My first notes are 2.4 seconds into the song, and I was just told by Magma that the first note must be 2.5 seconds in. Is there anyway to shift everything one measure that won't throw off all of my charts, tempo markers, etc?

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited December 2009
    You need to do it all over again.

Just kidding. :)

Here is a post from HMXPinafore explaining how to fix it:
    The quickest way to do this is to select how much time you want to add by moving your playhead back to the start of your project, holding shift, and clicking on however much space you want to add. Then run the "Time Selection: Insert space at time selection (moving later items)" action from the Action list. That will add blank space at the beginning of your project and shift everything (MIDI items, tempo markers, etc) later.
    You can also just select all the points in your tempo map and drag them horizontally, but that has a tendency to get messy...
  • animemetalheadanimemetalhead Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Oh good god, thank you. You just save hours of work over .1 seconds on a 2:49 song.
    edited December 2009
    Um... new problem. Doing that resulted in this message from Magma.
    Build started at 4:53 PM.
    Reading the archive
    Project Compiler: Reading project 'C:\Users\Brett\Documents\RBN Songs\Now We Die\Now We Die.rbproj'...
    Project Compiler: Entering Phase 1 of 6...
    Metadata Compiler: Starting...
    Metadata Compiler: Done.
    Project Compiler: Entering Phase 2 of 6...
    MIDI Compiler: Starting...
    ERROR: MIDI Compiler: c:/users/brett/documents/rbn songs/now we die/now we die.mid (PART DRUMS): MIDI track name event must appear at 1:1:000; found track name 'PART DRUMS' at 1:2:000
    MIDI Compiler: Done.
    ERROR: Project Compiler: Midi compiler failed.
    Build ended at 4:53 PM.
    edited December 2009
    I can't reposition the "PART DRUMS" back to 1.1.00
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    animemetalhead;3342457 said:
    Um... new problem. Doing that resulted in this message from Magma.
    Looks like adding the extra time might have moved the PART DRUMS marker (and maybe all the PART markers?) down a bit. This is an easy fix. Open up the part in the midi editor and drag the "PART DRUMS" text event to the very beginning. Check to see if this has to be done with all the other midi tracks.

EDIT: Does the drum track START at 1.1.00? Extend the track to start at the beginning then try moving the text event.
    edited December 2009
    kuiosikle;3342474 said:
    Looks like adding the extra time might have moved the PART DRUMS marker (and maybe all the PART markers?) down a bit. This is an easy fix. Open up the part in the midi editor and drag the "PART DRUMS" text event to the very beginning. Check to see if this has to be done with all the other midi tracks.

EDIT: Does the drum track START at 1.1.00? drag the track to start at the beginning then try moving the text event.
    The drum track doesn't start there, but if I move it back we end up with the same problem I had before.
    edited December 2009
    animemetalhead;3342484 said:
    The drum track doesn't start there, but if I move it back we end up with the same problem I had before.
    Try extending the front of it by clicking and dragging the front edge.

EDIT: Never mind, I tried that and it doesn't work.
    edited December 2009
    kuiosikle;3342495 said:
    Try extending the front of it by clicking and dragging the front edge.

EDIT: Never mind, I tried that and it doesn't work.
    It's okay, I figured it out. I have to realign all the MIDI tracks with 1:1:00 and shift all my notes the one measure I moved everything else, and that'll keep the "PART (INSTRUMENT)" events at the right spot.
    edited December 2009
    animemetalhead;3342512 said:
    It's okay, I figured it out. I have to realign all the MIDI tracks with 1:1:00 and shift all my notes the one measure I moved everything else, and that'll keep the "PART (INSTRUMENT)" events at the right spot.
    Good on ya.

Feel free to keep the errors coming, they sure like to show up a lot your first time compiling :)
    edited December 2009
    Actually, I do have one more question. My audio tracks don't start until a measure in (after the count in). Do I need to insert silence so all the tracks are the same length or will they automatically fall into the same place I have them in Reaper?
    edited December 2009
    They all need to be the same length. You can do this easily by right clicking on each instrument's audio track and choosing "Render Selected Tracks to Stem Tracks (and mute originals). Useful if you have many different parts of a playable instrument in a folder, and for the Backing track.

Be sure to note where you save the rendered tracks too, as that's what you'll then have to plug into Magma.
    edited December 2009
    Thanks! You probably just saved me another hour of re-working my masters in Audacity. And that's a great tip for future reference so I don't have to try and get all the playable parts in one take on future recordings.
    edited December 2009
    Dammit, for every solved problem, another one rears its head. Magma says the stems that I just created are compressed. Will that pose a problem, or am I just paranoid?
    edited December 2009
    Opps that's my mistake. I skipped a step I guess. After making those stems you need to select them all and go to File -> Render and render at these specs: http://creators.rockband.com/spec/Mix_and_MIDI_Setup (44100 Hz Sample rate and 16 bit PCM WAV bit depth)

Make sure to check "Render stems (selected tracks) to similarly named files"

If you have a dry vox file that needs to be mono. Oh and I should note this is just what worked for me, someone else may have a better method for anything I've talked about.
    edited December 2009
    kuiosikle;3342701 said:
    Opps that's my mistake. I skipped a step I guess. After making those stems you need to select them all and go to File -> Render and render at these specs: http://creators.rockband.com/spec/Mix_and_MIDI_Setup (44100 Hz Sample rate and 16 bit PCM WAV bit depth)

Make sure to check "Render stems (selected tracks) to similarly named files"

If you have a dry vox file that needs to be mono. Oh and I should note this is just what worked for me, someone else may have a better method for anything I've talked about.
    Thanks again. Don't have to worry about vocals yet, thankfully. (Can we make instrumentals or does every song HAVE to have lyrics?)
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited December 2009
    animemetalhead;3342725 said:
    Thanks again. Don't have to worry about vocals yet, thankfully. (Can we make instrumentals or does every song HAVE to have lyrics?)
    Of course you can! As long as you have at least one playable instrument - that's the minimum requirement.
  • SHPhr34kSHPhr34k Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I'd like to clarify a couple of things regarding the mixing.

First off, the audio files do not need to be the same length for Magma to read and compile them, as it will do this in regards to the position of your [end] event.

Second, as kuiosikle mentioned, you need to physically render out each stem at a minimum of 44.1kHz 16bit PCM WAV in order for Magma to read it properly. You can put the files at 24bit and 48kHz, but this has a minimal audio effect in-game and makes the end result game files larger to download.

I may be streaming a live demo workshop of my methods for handling the audio engineering for Rhythm Authors. After having mixed about 100 tracks for use within the game, I've learned quite a few tips and tricks, what to do's and what not to do's.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2009
    SHPhr34k;3343781 said:
    I may be streaming a live demo workshop of my methods for handling the audio engineering for Rhythm Authors. After having mixed about 100 tracks for use within the game, I've learned quite a few tips and tricks, what to do's and what not to do's.
    Are you the one who remixed our song, Rx? If so, kudos to you, sir, we all really like it. :)
  • SHPhr34kSHPhr34k Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    davidshek;3343983 said:
    Are you the one who remixed our song, Rx? If so, kudos to you, sir, we all really like it. :)
    Yep that was me. I handle every mix for Rhythm Authors :) Want me to mix it down and send you an mp3?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2009
    SHPhr34k;3344242 said:
    Yep that was me. I handle every mix for Rhythm Authors :) Want me to mix it down and send you an mp3?
    That would be great. You know my email. :)