Question regarding payment

Podruvan360Podruvan360 Opening Act
edited December 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I have a question that I could not find an answer for. Say I author some songs for another artist. How do I set it up for them to get paid for each sale and not me?

Comments

• MithinMithin Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    All you need to do is have the artist submit the song to the RBN Creators Club under their name. That way, any relationship you have with them is kept between you two and they have the direct relationship with HMX as a result. There is some discussion in the beta right now regarding feedback on playtesting (more specifically who would receive it). Hopefully a function will be set up where any playtest feedback will be sent to both the Submitter of the song as well as the author of the song listed on the track.

Hope that answers your question!
  • Podruvan360Podruvan360 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Wouldn't that mean they would need an Xbox and an XNA subscription? That doesn't seem too convenient. Is there some sort of workaround?
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited December 2009
    Both XBL Gold and XNA are required to submit songs, and the submitter is the one who gets paid every 3 months. You can't set up the payments to go to a 3rd party, so you will have to distribute payment to the artist yourself if they do not want to go through the hassle of setting up and paying for XBL/XNA.
    edited December 2009
    Thanks. I will let them know.

Edit: Do you need to be subscribed to receive payments, or can you just buy 4 months, submit the songs and not renew the account?
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    They won't need the xbox to submit the song if that helps them save $200.

You can also just set up in your agreement that you will pay them their portion every time you receive a payment from M$
    edited December 2009
    That helps, but I would still like an answer for my question so I can weigh my options.
    edited December 2009
    Podruvan360;3344339 said:
    Edit: Do you need to be subscribed to receive payments, or can you just buy 4 months, submit the songs and not renew the account?
    I'm pretty sure I heard someone from HMX answer this before, saying that payment continues even if you let your account revert to regular (non-Premium) status.
    edited December 2009
    trg007;3345338 said:
    I'm pretty sure I heard someone from HMX answer this before, saying that payment continues even if you let your account revert to regular (non-Premium) status.
    Thank you. I hope this is true. It would be kind of ridiculous to have to pay money to get paid money.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Welcome to the business world!!!!
    edited December 2009
    GeneralGilliam;3346951 said:
    Welcome to the business world!!!!
    I didn't doubt it would be possible, or I wouldn't have asked.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    trg007;3345338 said:
    The better question is, "How soon/easily can you re-upgrade your account?" I don't know about MS, but I've seen plenty of services that won't let you renew once you've let it slide.
    edited December 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's the same as Xbox Live, wherein if you don't renew it, it reverts to a "silver" account that can be re-upgraded at any time.

If you have a premium account and you submit a song and it gets published, you should be fine if you choose not to renew your account. As a non-premium member you would still be able to post in the Creators forums but would no longer be able to access any songs that are in Playtest/Review - although someone who buys a short-term XNA account solely for the purpose of getting a song through the pipeline probably wouldn't care about that, anyway.