Let it be, only underrated beatles album?

Comments

  • ValiantPaulValiantPaul Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I don't think its underrated. I think it's near perfect. It's in my top 3.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited December 2009
    The American Rubber Soul is underrated, people don't give it the praise it deserves because it's a "butchered" album.
  • BeatlesPhins1BeatlesPhins1 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    also Beatles For Sale
  • ShaftD13ShaftD13 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I don't care much for Let It Be, though the knowledge of the chaos and acrimony that developed during this time and the fact that Phil Spector sexed it up after the Beatles went kaput may color my opinion. All things considered, John seemingly thought Spector did alright, but I think they should probably have just "let it be."

    "He was given the ****iest load of badly-recorded **** with a lousy feeling to it ever, and he made something of it." - John Lennon
  • RADIO CHRISRADIO CHRIS Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I would agree it's underrated
  • biocookiesbiocookies Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Yeah its underrated but not the only underrated, check "With The Beatles." I want this album in the game more than any other.
  • Flame95Flame95 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Let It Be is actually my favourite Beatles album :)
  • ValiantPaulValiantPaul Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Yea, I think With The Beatles and Beatles For Sale are hugely underrated, mostly because of the songs have that classic boy-girl love theme.

    I want those 2 in the game most of all though, because they're pure rock and roll. They're band songs.
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;3344653 said:
    The American Rubber Soul is underrated, people don't give it the praise it deserves because it's a "butchered" album.
    But the American versions of those albums do not count, at all. They're just altered versions of the original albums that The Beatles made. Obviously yes, if you look at it just based on what that album is, it's very good. But that's because it contains elements of both Help! and Rubber Soul. So there really isn't any praise that needs to be heaped upon it because it was the choice of Capitol to go out on their own rather than put faith in what The Beatles themselves actually released. The US albums pre-Sgt. Pepper can never really be a part of any "best Beatles album" conversation.

    And yes, Let it Be is underrated, as far as Beatles albums go. There are some great songs on there which are forgotten about because it's considered "the break-up album."
  • MistressDMistressD Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    It seems to be, at least on the forum. I can't say anything bad about it, I was basically raised on Abbey Road and Let it Be (though it took the game for me to remember! :p ), and those songs continue to be my favorite. Even now, when The Beatles are mentioned, the songs that immediately come into my mind are "Let it Be" and "Get Back". The album is what turned me into a Beatles fan.
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I think it's their worst album, but more owing to the mix and production than the actual songs. And I see it as the only album where no artistic progression was made. After 9 albums of revolutionizing music, all of a sudden they're playing this basic the Band-style rock 'n' roll
  • UpoverandoverUpoverandover Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    This to me is like a "mono" mix. ;)

    Having borrowed a friends copy and listening to it sounds sooo much better then the phil spector version. It seems it's not being mentioned.

    I suggest people give it a listen then rediscuss this before calling out let it be. The long and winding road sounds soo much better without the symphony of music. Across the universe and two of us sound better without any added production work. Plus don't let me down is also is the main track listing too which is more from a live outside take they did on the rooftop concert.

    Let It Be Naked to me was like listening to Mono Peppers it felt more superior because of added things that weren't there before.

    I feel for this to be a better discussion is to have people listen to both version before giving their opinion.
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    How about Magical Mystery Tour?. I mean, MMT had great songs, but slightly overlooked.
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    ValiantPaul;3344646 said:
    I don't think its underrated. I think it's near perfect. It's in my top 3.
    Do you even know what underrated means?
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    There's no such thing as an underrated Beatles album.
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited December 2009
    I've always thought of Let It Be as being known more for the movie than the actual album...
  • SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Let It Be is underrated I agree, people ignore the music and dislike it because of the Beatles' troubles and such during the time. However, the music is still pure, Let it Be, and Across the Universe are still masterpieces.
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    SystemSCSnake;3352439 said:
    Let It Be is underrated I agree, people ignore the music and dislike it because of the Beatles' troubles and such during the time. However, the music is still pure, Let it Be, and Across the Universe are still masterpieces.
    Phil Spector butchered it, that's why people hate it i believe.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    It's got some good songs on it, but every change in the Naked version is for the better, even little things like the track order.
  • ZenMusicZenMusic Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I think every Beatles album is under-rated
  • jimmerhoftjimmerhoft Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;3344653 said:
    The American Rubber Soul is underrated, people don't give it the praise it deserves because it's a "butchered" album.
    Yup, it and The Beatles' Second Album don't get any recognition, despite being as good as their official equivalents (With The Beatles & obvious).

    But as far as the official albums are concerned Beatles For Sale is the most under rated. An argument could be made for With The Beatles, but I feel since BFS receives a lot of negative criticism it's more fitting of the title of most under rated. Even though there are six covers, the originals really do show they direction The Beatles would go. Actually come to think of it, it really is more of a transitional album than Help!, and probably because it's such an in between album people don't know what to make about it.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited December 2009
    mva5580;3344889 said:
    But the American versions of those albums do not count, at all. They're just altered versions of the original albums that The Beatles made. Obviously yes, if you look at it just based on what that album is, it's very good. But that's because it contains elements of both Help! and Rubber Soul. So there really isn't any praise that needs to be heaped upon it because it was the choice of Capitol to go out on their own rather than put faith in what The Beatles themselves actually released. The US albums pre-Sgt. Pepper can never really be a part of any "best Beatles album" conversation.

    I thought that "Meet the Beatles" made for a very good album, honestly, but I agree that it shouldn't be in consideration for "best Beatles album"... oddly enough, "Meet the Beatles!" charted in Rolling Stones top 100 albums of all time.
  • Glass_OnionGlass_Onion Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Anything by the Beatles is awesome full stop! I don't care what version it is. Why did they make their albums different for America anyway?
    Let it be is awesome and so is everything else they made.

    They are still the greatest band the world has EVER seen. I get bored of other music and never get bored of The Beatles. They are timeless classic songs.
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Glass_Onion;3353199 said:
    Anything by the Beatles is awesome full stop! I don't care what version it is. Why did they make their albums different for America anyway?
    Let it be is awesome and so is everything else they made.

    They are still the greatest band the world has EVER seen. I get bored of other music and never get bored of The Beatles. They are timeless classic songs.
    Capitol Records in America rearranged their albums and mixed in hit singles with album tracks, something which was common practice in the US.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited December 2009
    chumsicles;3353215 said:
    Capitol Records in America rearranged their albums and mixed in hit singles with album tracks, something which was common practice in the US.
    And tracks from other albums. Why did they stop after Revolver?
  • jimmerhoftjimmerhoft Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;3353304 said:
    And tracks from other albums. Why did they stop after Revolver?
    I think it was because in 66/67 they renegotiated their contract with Capitol and put in a clause that Capitol couldn't rearrange any future albums. At least I remember hearing something along those lines a few years ago.
  • Celebrated_Mr_KCelebrated_Mr_K Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    "Let it Be", in my view, is a very good album, but also a big step down from Sgt. Pepper, Revolver, Rubber Soul, White Album, and Abbey Road. It has a handful of terrific songs on it but something is...missing. "I've Got a Feeling", "One After 909", and a couple of others just don't meet the Beatle standard of excellence.

    That said, I want "Across the Universe" played at my funeral.
  • HotMangoChutneyHotMangoChutney Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    jimmerhoft;3353599 said:
    I think it was because in 66/67 they renegotiated their contract with Capitol and put in a clause that Capitol couldn't rearrange any future albums. At least I remember hearing something along those lines a few years ago.
    Pretty much all American labels stopped butchering albums by UK groups around this time; The Rolling Stones' early '67 release Between the Buttons was the last of their altered albums as well.
  • RyuzakiRyuzaki Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    HotMangoChutney;3358078 said:
    Pretty much all American labels stopped butchering albums by UK groups around this time; The Rolling Stones' early '67 release Between the Buttons was the last of their altered albums as well.
    What about the '76 release of The Clash's debut?
  • PectoralzPectoralz Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;3344653 said:
    The American Rubber Soul is underrated, people don't give it the praise it deserves because it's a "butchered" album.
    And it's not a "real" album
Sign In or Register to comment.