Is there a way to make players hit the strum bar without fretting a note?

hewstigatorhewstigator Unsigned
edited December 2009 in The Rock Band Network
So I was trying to author a part where the guitar player mutes the strings (e.g., by resting their hand on the strings) and strums the strings. i don't know what this is called but i think it might be called 'chomping' or something...? i think it is also a technique sometimes used in sexploitation soundtrack-type songs where there is the wah-wah guitar in the background, and like the pizza guy is doing his thing.

i was just wondering if there was a way to make the player strum the strum bar without fretting anything. i have a feeling the answer is "no" but thought i would throw this out there just in case i missed something...

thx!
-h

Comments

  • Podruvan360Podruvan360 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    The answer is no. I would probably just chart it as a green note.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2009
    Podruvan360;3346606 said:
    The answer is no. I would probably just chart it as a green note.
    Agreed. "Palm-muting" is the technique you're referring to, but there are no open notes in RB ("open notes" meaning you strum without fretting any buttons). Author it as green.
  • hewstigatorhewstigator Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    cool - thanks for confirming that so quickly!!

    -h
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Sorry, plam mutes and open strums are not availiable in Rock Band. The only place I have seen those is in the GH games and even then its only on bass (for some odd reason). just go with green or whatever note it sounds close to.
  • animemetalheadanimemetalhead Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Actually, that's not a palm mute (those are done with the picking hand), I think what he's talking about is a fret-hand mute, and it's my experience that they get charted to the lowest single note in the next chord (I.E. reds before a red/blue chord) unless they are a radically different pitch due to some unorthodox harmonics.
  • SequenceFSequenceF Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    hewstigator;3346593 said:
    So I was trying to author a part where the guitar player mutes the strings (e.g., by resting their hand on the strings) and strums the strings. i don't know what this is called but i think it might be called 'chomping' or something...? i think it is also a technique sometimes used in sexploitation soundtrack-type songs where there is the wah-wah guitar in the background, and like the pizza guy is doing his thing.

    i was just wondering if there was a way to make the player strum the strum bar without fretting anything. i have a feeling the answer is "no" but thought i would throw this out there just in case i missed something...

    thx!
    -h
    BOW CHICKA WOW WOW!

    (please forgive this otherwise unhelpful post, but I could not resist)
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    animemetalhead;3347033 said:
    Actually, that's not a palm mute (those are done with the picking hand), I think what he's talking about is a fret-hand mute, and it's my experience that they get charted to the lowest single note in the next chord (I.E. reds before a red/blue chord) unless they are a radically different pitch due to some unorthodox harmonics.
    I agree with your definition.

    And I believe the docs say that muted chords should be charted as a single note, just as you describe.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    GeneralGilliam;3346945 said:
    Sorry, plam mutes and open strums are not availiable in Rock Band. The only place I have seen those is in the GH games and even then its only on bass (for some odd reason). just go with green or whatever note it sounds close to.
    It's the same reason there's Bass Groove in Rock Band - gameplay bonus to compensate for usually tedious lines (compared to guitar, at least).
  • hewstigatorhewstigator Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    ah animemetalhead's post (lowest fret dpeending on what chords are around it) makes a lot of sense since usually i guess the muted stuff is played in conjunction with other chords, oftentimes with the pointer finger across the lowest fret of the chord... the "bow" part of the "bow chika wow wow" (thx, sequencef!) right?? thanks again!
  • EaglesBecomeVulturesEaglesBecomeVultures Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    hewstigator;3346593 said:
    i think it is also a technique sometimes used in sexploitation soundtrack-type songs where there is the wah-wah guitar in the background, and like the pizza guy is doing his thing.
    Hahahahaha, awesome.
  • NSIYusukeNSIYusuke Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQEuwmMs10

    Yeah, I'd chart it as a single note beside the chord, like in the chorus of this song.
Sign In or Register to comment.