Do most people play Pick set list, or mystery set list?

puthysputhys Unsigned
edited December 2009 in Rock Band
I can't help but to ask, I'm a big fan of music of all genre's I never got to play RB1 yet (exporting songs tonight) So I started on RB2.

I love singing vocals I have 3 other real life friends that play the other instruments so pretty much I'm always singing. I can't help but to notice I only know about 60% of the songs. (The ones I know, I know by heart). It's pretty annoying some of the second tier songs of bands having no idea how they sound when trying to sing. I can't tell when they are whispering, talking low, normal talking, high voice, really screaming (Master exploder). Does anyone have any tips on the songs I don't know or is there something I'm missing? Because I noticed even if the bar is low it could be "low singing" or it could be "whispering" and I really enjoy playing on hard or expert.

Anyways, the other way around this, is to simply play the set list over and over at least I know what I'm singing, and I can still progress in the game. I don't mind playing random songs, but it sucks playing songs I have no idea the pitch, the beat, notes or anything.

Please leave some constructive comments to someone starting out. Because I'm sure there are tons of "basics" about the vocals that I have no idea how they work. Hell i just found out a couple of days ago how to use my overdrive.

Comments

• solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    singing is always harder, when you dont know the song.
    so playing random setlist when you have ton of dlc or dont know much of the songs well enough cam be tough

on instruments its different though, i often play random setlists on guitar.

what would be nice in rb3 is a possibility of filtering random setlists by difficulty or genre.
    I often wanna play just pure rock and hate having to go to rock and handpick a few, it would be really fun picking a random 10songs only rock or grunge or wathever.

ps, about singing, i would say start a song you dont know at all and try finding the pitch that match with the arrow on middle and mid-low of the highway at the start of the song, it often help on knowing how to sing said song.
  • puthysputhys Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Yeah if I know the song, typically It's a cake walk. But when you have songs like....You oughta know. It goes from her whispering or very low talking to screaming. If I'm playing on hard or expert I would automatically fail if i don't get that note in like 3 seconds. I suppose I'll stick with the rule of thumb, practice makes perfect. Just wondering if anyone has any tips.

And about the instruments. When I'm by myself I enjoy playing some bass. I noticed It's like 100% times easier playing songs on base or guitar that you have never heard before than it is to sing it.
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    My band, and by band I mean the group of guys that come over every Sunday for the express purpose of playing RB2 (including TB:RB and Lego RB). We have about 500 DLC songs in addition to the Lego RB export and RB & RB2 on-disk songs.

We generally play songs in either Quickplay, or if we our in the world tour to play one of our bands, we usually play a three song Make a Setlist.

We haven't played a setlist that was of on-disk songs in more time than I can remember (referring to RB2 here), nor can I remember the last time we picked a Mystery Setlist.

We do occasionally play some Challenges in the world tour, but for the most part, we only play the songs we enjoy listening to and/or playing.
  • murphmurph Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    mostly make-a-setlist. once in a while a 2 or 3 song mystery setlist, but that's it. i won't touch a 4 or 5 song mystery setlist for fear of getting something ultra hard on the 4th or 5th song that i can't pass.

it's because of this, i actually prefer Lego Rock Band's World Tour Mode...but hate the family filter.
  • madisondawgmadisondawg Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I unlike most here prefer random or mystery song lists. They make picking the songs and agreements between other players easier. As for tips just sing. I don't whisper or scream just find the right octave as quick as possible. I tryed the screaming bit ended up failing more than passing and 3 stars was a common.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited December 2009
    I rarely use Mystery Setlists.
    I prefer a sort of "controlled random": I go to Make A Setlist, select Random, but "weed out" songs that I don't want to play, and can put together a 4-song (or 8-song) setlist pretty quick.
  • DrRock69DrRock69 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    songs i didnt know too well, i just played them in quickplay on guitar untill i kinda new the words and the beat to the song,then went and gave em hell
  • BZLuckBZLuck Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    When the 3 of us play, we typically "quickplay" and rotate who selects the next song. I vox-bass, and when a song is selected that I know I can't sing well, I play the bass only, with one level of difficulty increase.
  • puthysputhys Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    DrRock69;3347346 said:
    songs i didnt know too well, i just played them in quickplay on guitar untill i kinda new the words and the beat to the song,then went and gave em hell
    This is exactly the option I think I'm going to try. I know you can cheese it and not scream or whisper, but I enjoy singing the song the way it is supposed to be sang and get 100% on it.

Trust me, I have way to many ******ed friends that are like "All you have to do is hum, I can hum amazing !!"
    edited December 2009
    cherokeesam;3347308 said:
    I prefer a sort of "controlled random": I go to Make A Setlist, select Random, but "weed out" songs that I don't want to play, and can put together a 4-song (or 8-song) setlist pretty quick.
    exactly what i do most of the time :)

but i dont see why nobody replied to my idea yet...

what was said in my first post:
    what would be nice in rb3 is a possibility of filtering random setlists by difficulty or genre.
    I often wanna play just pure rock and hate having to go to rock and handpick a few, it would be really fun picking a random 10songs only rock or grunge or wathever

yeah i know, :D pretty selfish of reposting it lol
  • puthysputhys Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I think they should have a filtering option in RB3, i mean hell I see people on here all the time with 700+ songs. That would be great to be like, give me "classic rock, modern rock, and punk.

I like, and support your idea bud.
  • jenjen961jenjen961 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I love the mystery setlists. That's what we usually go to. The make a setlists are usually kept until the end. I do what some others do though on Make a Setlist. I just choose Random until I get a full setlist. I'll usually only back one out if I'm really sick of it.
    edited December 2009
    solidsnakejt;3347495 said:
    exactly what i do most of the time :)

but i dont see why nobody replied to my idea yet...

what was said in my first post:
    I often wanna play just pure rock and hate having to go to rock and handpick a few, it would be really fun picking a random 10songs only rock or grunge or wathever

yeah i know, :D pretty selfish of reposting it lol
    I think it's a good idea, too.
    There are different levels of "random" --- sometimes, I'm all for a TOTALLY random setlist, but more often than not, I'd like to have a random METAL setlist, or random 1980s setlist, or (if exportable band games become the norm) a random Green Day/ Pearl Jam/ U2 etc setlist.
  • Felldoh_The_SquirrelFelldoh_The_Squirrel Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Mystery Setlist all the way...

TOUCHDOWN!!!!

:D

It's fun to have random songs thrown at you. It might even get you to play a song you forgot about.
  • ShoTTySLanKiNShoTTySLanKiN Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I do the make a setlist. Mostly the 5 set marathon in madrid.

I like your idea JT & you had some good points too Sam.
  • puthysputhys Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Oh I love the "mystery set list" when I"m playing bass, but with vocals its terrible if you never have heard the song before. Or even if you heard it once but don't remember anything at all about it.
  • whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited December 2009
    cherokeesam;3347308 said:
    This, except I only use Solo Quickplay. Haven't touched my solo band in ages.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited December 2009
    I play both, especially when doing tour mode. When I’m in a ‘I don’t feel like anything in particular mood’ then I pick mystery setlist (and just keep my fingers crossed that a few particular songs don’t show up). Yes it’s tough to do on vocals but it’s the best way to learn the song on the fly.
  • cmenearcmenear Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    I too do both. I will pick a setlist to play any unplayed DLC, then I'll go find a mystery setlist somewhere that I haven't gotten all of the stars on, and play that. I'm not afraid of what I'll get...I know if I go into pick a setlist, I will avoid some of the tougher songs intentionally...
  • puthysputhys Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    cmenear;3348023 said:
    I'm not afraid of what I'll get...I know if I go into pick a setlist, I will avoid some of the tougher songs intentionally...

That's completely not my point though. I don't mind the challenge at all. The challenge of singing a song shouldn't be "EL OH EL NO ONE KNOWS THIS SONG"....It should be if you can hit the notes or not. I love the game so I guess I'll take what I can get just wondering what approach everyone else took on this game when it first came out (only on vocals).
    edited December 2009
    cherokeesam;3347541 said:
    I think it's a good idea, too.
    There are different levels of "random" --- sometimes, I'm all for a TOTALLY random setlist, but more often than not, I'd like to have a random METAL setlist, or random 1980s setlist, or (if exportable band games become the norm) a random Green Day/ Pearl Jam/ U2 etc setlist.
    that would be nice:D
    this or also random source ex: random rb1 random dlc etc..
  • shadowracershadowracer Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    I Play the make a setlist i hate random because i get to easy of songs and get songs that i don't like. and just because i play the make a setlist to play metal.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited December 2009
    I prefer make a setlist, just because I can pick the songs I want. Mystery setlist too often gives me songs that I don't feel like playing at the time.

As for vocals, I'll play anything. It doesn't matter if I've never heard the song before in my life. I'll attempt it. I'm a pretty good expert vocalist so I can match pitches for most songs reasonably well on a sightread. I might sound bad getting the actual words out the first time or two when I sing it, but I adjust quick. However, Rock Band isn't the only game I sing on. I also sing on Guitar Hero, Karaoke Revolution, SingStar, Lips, etc.

I wouldn't call vocals my main instrument. Most people I play RB with consider me a bassist but I also drum. Vocals has just become my best instrument. I don't have natural singing talent. I worked hard to become as good of a vocalist as I am. And once you get pretty good, even songs you don't know become not so bad. Just practice and you'll do be able to sightread even crazy screaming/whispering/singing extremely fast like They're Red Hot songs.
  • stangace20stangace20 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Until RB fixes the bug/fluke of being able to tell the difference between a song sung by a male singer vs female singer, I pick my songs
    edited December 2009
    stangace20;3349752 said:
    Until RB fixes the bug/fluke of being able to tell the difference between a song sung by a male singer vs female singer, I pick my songs
    QFT

It will be a great day when RB assigns "gender" to the vocalist's avatar....I'm tired of seeing Moosejaw Boudreaux covering Paramore and P!nk