Yellow Submarine

BrentstahBrentstah Opening Act
edited December 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
About to watch it, can't wait :D is it good? And what was your favorite part?

Comments

• elitemastersamelitemastersam Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I don't like the movie. I liked it as a little kid, but I tried watching it recently and just couldn't sit through the whole thing. I would have liked it a little better if the Beatles voiced themselves. But the plot still doesn't make an awful lot of sense. You may have to be under the influence of mind altering drugs to get into it.
  • SpantasySpantasy Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    It's really not all that great to be honest haha. The music is great but it's sorta strange and not in a great way. Open up a beer and give it a shot though.
  • BeatlesFan88BeatlesFan88 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    elitemastersam;3349339 said:
    I would have liked it a little better if the Beatles voiced themselves.
    They didn't voice it themselves:eek:?
    edited December 2009
    BeatlesFan88;3349383 said:
    No, I believe they were too busy recording new material.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited December 2009
    Brentstah;3349321 said:
    About to watch it, can't wait :D is it good? And what was your favorite part?
    Is it on somewhere or are you watching it through other means?
  • BrentstahBrentstah Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    SonicRocker15X;3349406 said:
    Is it on somewhere or are you watching it through other means?
    just got a dvd of it. turns out I'm watching it tomorrow, but whatever.
  • mason95mason95 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    BeatlesFan88;3349383 said:
    They do make a live action cameo at the end.
    edited December 2009
    mason95;3349602 said:
    They do make a live action cameo at the end.
    I guess that's the reward for making it to the end, unless of course you're one of the many people who like the film.
  • Opus PenguinOpus Penguin Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Funny story ... I watched it with my daughter who was about 6 at the time. After we watched it I asked if she liked it. She said "Well ... I liked it except for all the singing". I laughed and told her that was the point of the whole movie. Now, she is 13 and LOVES The Beatles (and this game). When I remind her of the story she just laughs and says she didn't know them that well then but loves them now.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Opus Penguin;3349631 said:
    Funny story ... I watched it with my daughter who was about 6 at the time. After we watched it I asked if she liked it. She said "Well ... I liked it except for all the singing".
    I had the same reaction! I was young though too. I would always skip every song except Yellow Submarine, All Together Now, and When I'm 64 sometimes. I hated Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds.
  • justin19954justin19954 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    elitemastersam;3349393 said:
    No, I believe they were too busy recording new material.
    Lol, actually they were so high they couldn't read any of the lines, so they just hired people to do it for them.
    edited December 2009
    justin19954;3349697 said:
    Lol, actually they were so high they couldn't read any of the lines, so they just hired people to do it for them.
    According to Wikipedia, we were both wrong.
    Wikipedia said:
    The Beatles were not enthusiastic about participating in a motion picture. They were displeased with their second feature film Help!, and were discouraged by the disastrous reception of their self-produced TV special Magical Mystery Tour. They did, however, see an animated film as a favourable way to complete their commitment to United Artists for a third film. (Ultimately, due to their relatively small roles and the fact it was animated, United Artists still considered them to owe another movie; Let It Be would be the third film to complete their contract with the studio.) Voice actors were hired to imitate the musicians' voices in the film.
    edited December 2009
    elitemastersam;3349714 said:
    According to Wikipedia, we were both wrong.
    What does Wikipedia know, you can put anything on there?

Speaking of which...
    Wikipedia said:
  • justin19954justin19954 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Dang books with wrong info.
    edited December 2009
    gamegyro56;3349721 said:
    What does Wikipedia know, you can put anything on there?
    It's information about the bloody Beatles! They've got people watching those articles all of the time to make sure nothing unfitting is put on there. There's heavy moderation on such frequently viewed topics.
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    It's an awesome, hilarious and unique movie--One of the best fantasy films ever made. It's about the power of imagination, music and humor. The dialogue is amazing: One Beatles in-joke after another (see how many song references you can catch in the conversations). Needless to say, the soundtrack is outstanding. :)

You will never forget the characters. Old Fred is just awesome. Jeremy Hillary Boob, Phd. (the Nowhere Man) is one-of-a-kind. The Dreadful Flying Glove is one of the coolest villains ever created (and John gets to fight him one-on-one...well...by singing...about love...).

The best scene is Nowhere Man...and the payoff when Ringo comments toward the end..."The first time I saw that Nowhere Man...that nobody...I knew he was somebody."

The worst scene is "Only a Northern Song," which adds absolutely nothing to the story and doesn't even feature any of the characters--just artwork of the group's faces. I actually like the song, though.

Enjoy it for what it is...a modern fairy tale about the Beatles saving Pepperland from the Blue Meanies. The animation appears kind of crude by today's standards, but there is no other movie that looks or sounds anything like it.

I'll be very curious to see how the remake turns out...
    edited December 2009
    elitemastersam;3349728 said:
    It's information about the bloody Beatles! They've got people watching those articles all of the time to make sure nothing unfitting is put on there. There's heavy moderation on such frequently viewed topics.
    I was kidding.
  • skysawskysaw Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    The film is great! I really got a new level of appreciation for it when we watched it again on our new 42" flatscreen.

I think disappointment in it generally comes when someone sets out to watch it for the first time expecting something in particular from it. Just turn off your expectations and let it wash over you.

Best to watch when you know you won't be interrupted at all, and can sit in quiet. Quinaking's suggestion on page one may or may not help as well... I won't officially say.
    edited December 2009
    skysaw;3350679 said:
    Just turn off your expectations and let it wash over you.
    That line reminded me of Tomorrow Never Knows (Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream) :D
    skysaw;3350679 said:
    Quinaking's suggestion on page one may or may not help as well... I won't officially say.

I can't, I'm only 15, lol. I just love the beatles a ton and went out and bought this dvd. After my eye doctor's appointment I'm watching it, and I can't wait!
    edited December 2009
    Brentstah;3351313 said:
    I can't, I'm only 15, lol. I just love the beatles a ton and went out and bought this dvd. After my eye doctor's appointment I'm watching it, and I can't wait!
    The substances are illegal, so why does age even matter?
    edited December 2009
    elitemastersam;3351345 said:
    The substances are illegal, so why does age even matter?
    True. But drugs ruin your life, and mine pretty much hasn't started yet.
  • YesguyYesguy Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I love every moment of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(The movie that is, not drugs.)
  • honus14honus14 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I just wanted to point out that . . .

I've got a hole in me pocket! :-)
  • Marvelfan13Marvelfan13 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    It was one of my of my favorite movies when I was little. It introduced me to The Beatles. However, I don't know if a grown man will enjoy it as much as a kid. It is a great way to introduce kids to the Beatles.
  • l-o-tl-o-t Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I just want to know where you picked up the DVD. Last I heard production of copies stopped like 7 years ago and it was gonna cost me $70 dollars to order it from the video store.
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I like the part where he pushes the button
  • reppination7reppination7 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    "it must be one of those unidentified flying cupcakes"
  • ZooropaZooropa Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I love the film, and I'm sure you will too.
    The 'Nowhere Man' scene is the one that stands out to me, but I won't give too much away for those who haven't seen the movie.
  • CM_DrunkCM_Drunk Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    In the realm of music movies...its somewhere between Spiceworld and The Wall.
  • TaibakTaibak Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    You have to be in the right mood for it. I like it, but it's very, very weird in a late 60's kind of way. My best advice would be to make some popcorn, relax, and just let the strangeness wash over you. Don't try to impose any more structure on the movie than what the story gives you. If you accept it for what it is, it's a lot of fun.