The White Album (Not a DLC question)

GThrasher128GThrasher128 Unsigned
edited December 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I was listening to it today and it stands out. Its sort of like the black sheep of the albums. It seems a very dark album to me. Its hard for me to explain but does anyone feel this way?

Comments

• rad5brandonrad5brandon Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    The Beatles were changing alot during that time, they were growing apart musically and physically. Yes, a lot of the album has a dark undertone depending on how you look at it, but it stands out as one of my favorites with the sheer volume of awesome songs to enjoy. Research more about the history of it (assuming you don't know alread) it is quite interesting.
  • GThrasher128GThrasher128 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Yeah I own a few books that say that this is when they were growing apart. Its deffinately their most interesting album I think.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I know what you mean. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da and Birthday are some of the most dark songs the Beatles ever wrote :p
  • GThrasher128GThrasher128 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    gamegyro56;3352659 said:
    I know what you mean. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da and Birthday are some of the most dark songs the Beatles ever wrote :P
    Hah! Even with those songs if you took them and put them on anyother album it would be the stand out track but since all the songs on the White Album are so different it works.
  • SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Yes I do agree, The White Album has a dark tone with songs like, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Helter Skelter, Revolution 9, Bungalow Bill, etc.

However this was a time when they were really under tension, and beginning to leave the band, with a lot of different emotions during this album, it's a real mash of different feelings.
  • fuselage321fuselage321 Ringo Impersonator
    edited December 2009
    :( Sad time for The Beatles.
  • BeatlesFan88BeatlesFan88 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    SystemSCSnake;3352672 said:
    Yes I do agree, The White Album has a dark tone with songs like, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Helter Skelter, Revolution 9, Bungalow Bill, etc.

However this was a time when they were really under tension, and beginning to leave the band, with a lot of different emotions during this album, it's a real mash of different feelings.
    I'm sorry to be off topic, but you're signature is awesome!
  • Vlugge_JapieVlugge_Japie Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    To me it sounds more like a compilation album of Lennon/McCartney/Starr/Harrison songs rather than a Beatles album.
  • oogaboohaoogabooha Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Vlugge_Japie;3354745 said:
    To me it sounds more like a compilation album of Lennon/McCartney/Starr/Harrison songs rather than a Beatles album.
    Oh I totally can agree with this.
  • wrecklasswrecklass Unsigned
    edited December 2009
  • wrecklasswrecklass Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Yes, with Brian Epstein's death in late 1967 after the amazing high of the release of Sgt. Pepper's they went through a difficult emotional swing. Magical Mystery Tour was really just a big party in which they kind of tuned out the pain. Then when they returned to the studio for the first time in earnest, they had to deal with the fact that Brian wasn't there keeping things down to earth.

As a result I think they just kind of laid down whatever songs came out of the entire experience. Likely they should have listened to George Martin and cut back the album to a single disc. However, had they done that we would have missed some amazing stuff.

The White album is like listening to the Beatles in therapy. A ton of creativity with a big helping of pain and misery.

The worst part was that they didn't really deal with the biggest problem created by Epstein's death: The lack of a business manager. As a result they would go through a lot of money trying to sort out what they really owned. And a lot of pain realizing they had signed away the biggest part of their work to the vultures.

Ultimately, this is the beginning of the end of The Beatles.
  • Celebrated_Mr_KCelebrated_Mr_K Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Ah, the White Album...a great topic of discussion.

The Beatles had done Revolver, experimenting with new styles. They topped it with Sgt. Pepper. You have to consider that album when talking about the White Album. Sgt. Pepper took rock into uncharted waters. It's gothic and lush and unprecedented. Indian music? Psychedelia? Even the cover was unprecedented, filled with information and a riot of color. And the extravagant title: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

When they'd finished that record and the Magical Mystery Tour TV show, the Beatles went off to India to meditate and to recharge the batteries. They wrote a lot of songs during that trip. Those songs would become the White Album.

When they returned to the studio, they wanted to get back to basics. So the new album was the antithesis to Sgt. Pepper. The cover was...blank. The title was: "The Beatles." And the songs were mostly pared back to guitars and drums.

The music itself is fabulous..."Back in the USSR" is a parody of the Beach Boys. "Dear Prudence" is about Mia Farrow's sister, who wouldn't come out of her room to join in in India. "Bungalow Bill" was about a knuckleheaded rich young American who went to shoot a tiger while they were in India. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" seems to be a lament about the band members growing apart. "Blackbird" is about the U.S. civil rights movement. "Julia" is about John's mother. "Savoy Truffle" is George's cross-album dig at Paul's penchant for lighter material. "Glass Onion" is John's dig at people trying to analyze his music. "Long Long Long" is George's spiritual hymn. "Helter Skelter" is Paul's sonic blast at those that said the Beatles didn't rock like Hendrix. "Everybody's Got Something to Hide 'Cept Me and My Monkey" is John telling people to kiss his ass if they didn't like Yoko.

The songs are dark, funny, intelligent, happy, heartbreaking, eerie, soothing, bouncy, ear-splitting...and brilliant. I often hear new bands these days cite the White Album as their all-time favorite record. A couple of years ago, I read one musician say his one goal was to someday record something as good as "Dear Prudence."
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Celebrated_Mr_K;3355675 said:
    "Back in the USSR" is a parody of the Beach Boys.
    I thought it was mostly a parody on Back in the USA.
  • jimmerhoftjimmerhoft Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    "Savoy Truffle" is George's cross-album dig at Paul's penchant for lighter material.
    I agree with everything else you said, but Savoy Truffle is actually George poking fun at Eric Clapton and his sweet tooth.

"'Savoy Truffle' on The White Album was written for Eric (Clapton). He's got this real sweet tooth and he'd just had his mouth worked on. His dentist said he was through with candy. So as a tribute I wrote, 'You'll have to have them all pulled out after the Savoy Truffle.' The truffle was some kind of sweet, just like all the rest-- cream tangerine, ginger sling-- just candy, to tease Eric." - 1977
  • elitemastersamelitemastersam Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Indian music? Psychedelia?
    Both found in Revolver.
  • neger-kattenneger-katten Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    probably my favorite album XD
  • FierDancrFierDancr Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    This is my favorite Beatles album and this one has infected more of my friends over the years than any other.

This is also the album that did have a Beatle quit. Ringo was tired of listening to the other three bicker all the time, Yoko being in the actual studio instead of in the control room like all the other females, being ignored for hours and had to be coerced back into the band.

Still think Yoko disrupted the harmonic flow of the quartet.
    edited December 2009
    jimmerhoft;3356385 said:
    I agree with everything else you said, but Savoy Truffle is actually George poking fun at Eric Clapton and his sweet tooth.

"'Savoy Truffle' on The White Album was written for Eric (Clapton). He's got this real sweet tooth and he'd just had his mouth worked on. His dentist said he was through with candy. So as a tribute I wrote, 'You'll have to have them all pulled out after the Savoy Truffle.' The truffle was some kind of sweet, just like all the rest-- cream tangerine, ginger sling-- just candy, to tease Eric." - 1977
    You're correct that it was the initial inspiration for the song. But it's pretty clear from the lyrics that there's a dig at Paul.

"You know that what you eat you are,
    But what is sweet now, turns so sour--
    We all know Obla-Di-Bla-Da
    But can you show me, where you are?.."

It's like Lennon's explanation of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Sure, it was inspired by a drawing of son Julian's. But you're kidding yourself if you think Lennon wasn't smart enough to know what he was doing when writing a psychedelic song with the initials LSD in the title.
    edited December 2009
    elitemastersam;3356412 said:
    Both found in Revolver.
    Yeah, I know. I mentioned Revolver. Sgt. Pepper took it even further.
    edited December 2009
    gamegyro56;3356338 said:
    I thought it was mostly a parody on Back in the USA.
    Listen to "California Girls" and then listen to "Back in the USSR."
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I can for sure see that. Very sad time for them I guess... but it did spawn some of their best songs (except Revolution 9 :p)