Gretsch guitar worth it?

Stig_the_PigStig_the_Pig Opening Act
edited December 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Well, since my RB1 guitar is broken, I need a new one, and I was thinking about the Gretsch. Does anyone think it's good for expert guitar players? btw: is there a button for the effects on RB2?

Comments

• RampantFrenzyRampantFrenzy Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I like all the TB:RB instruments.. they are pretty solid and work well

IMO for playing RB2.. the Rickenbacker (and drums) are the only good Beatles instruments

reason being... the effects switch on the Hofner and Gretsch is positioned (for historical accuracy) in a place that makes it unuseable "on the fly"..

its impossible to turn the switch on and off before and after the solo section during a song without missing notes.. and the Gretsch isnt even a switch at all its a turning knob...

for most people this doesnt make a difference since you can just set your favorite effect before the song starts (and on TB:RB it doesnt do anything at all anyway)
    I however... like to turn it on and off as needed... so for ME... the Rick is the only TB:RB instrument I can use with regular RB (I dont play drums)

On another note.. some people may benefit from the larger scale of the Gretsch and Hofner fretboards (the Gretsch fretboard is actually the same as the standard Strat its just set farther away from the strumbar).. the Gretsch being about 2 1/4 inches longer and the Hofner about 4 3/4 inches longer than standard RB Strats

I find the Gretsch to be a bit more comfortable than a standard sized RB guitar like the Strat or TB:RB Rick
    I also have been using the Hofner exclusively for bass in TB:RB and RB.. at this point I am used to it but it was a little foregin feeling when I started with it since it is SO much larger than standard size..

People who play sitting will also find that due to the curvature of the body on the Rickenbacker.. when resting it over your knee/leg... it will seem much smaller than standard sized RB Strats but its not... it just sits back a bit farther thereby bringing the fretboard a bit closer to your body... I also think that due to its high position the top strap button causes the same effect when standing.. but to a lesser degree

so if you are a person who wishes the standard Strats were a little bit smaller or are used to GH controllers you might want to look into a Rick (my personal feeling is GH controllers feel too small and seem cheap.. but Ive only got a wired SG, a wireless Kramer... and the GH:WT wireless.. Ive never tried or even held any others so maybe there is one out there I would like)

My rouges gallery of instruments..
    (not pictured are 2 wired GH SG controllers, 1 RB2 strat & 2 RB Strats... GH:WT drums, RB2 drums & Ringos drums)
    http://huntr.shellshed.org/insall.JPG

Standard RB Strat against TB:RB Rickenbacker
    http://huntr.shellshed.org/strik.JPG
    the same scale

Standard Strat against TB:RB Gretsch
    http://huntr.shellshed.org/stgre.JPG
    about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches larger

Standard Strat against TB:RB Hofner
    http://huntr.shellshed.org/sthof.JPG
    about 4 3/4 inches larger

Standard RB Strat against GH Kramer & GH:WT wireless
    http://huntr.shellshed.org/stgh.JPG
    did not measure

since the first time I posted this stuff...

I have abandoned the Rickenbacker, which I had been using to play RB2 and gone back to the Standard RB2 Strat. The Rick works fine I just dont like its "small" feel

I also continue to rock the Gretsch and Hofner for guitar and bass in TB:RB and both instruments are holding up admirably
  • SportzterSportzter Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I have both George and John's Guitars and I find them to be exceptional. They also have the auto calibration feature that is nice.

Good Luck
  • reppination7reppination7 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    well if im playing the game sitting down, i play the gretsch, its much more comfortable the the rick, but i play the rick if i am laying down as the gretsch is just a tad long for me to play without haveing to lift my elbow (man im lazy) but probably my favorite to play is the gretsch, i have all the instruments, my solution to your problem, buy both the rick and grestch :D
  • Stig_the_PigStig_the_Pig Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    reppination7;3359819 said:
    well if im playing the game sitting down, i play the gretsch, its much more comfortable the the rick, but i play the rick if i am laying down as the gretsch is just a tad long for me to play without haveing to lift my elbow (man im lazy) but probably my favorite to play is the gretsch, i have all the instruments, my solution to your problem, buy both the rick and grestch :D
    expensive :P

I think I'll go for the gretsch. Now I just have to order it :P
  • BZLuckBZLuck Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I love my Gretsch. Right out of the box, I said, "Now we are talking..."

As soon as it went past its warranty period I installed the bytearts.com strummer fix into it, along with about 1/2 lb fishing weight, tweaked the angle on the overdrive activator and love it even more now.

The original RB2 Strat just seems so small now when I pick it up.
  • ZorbaruZorbaru Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    wow, that hoffner is quite a big one. im getting that at xmas and will be transitioning from the GHWT axe to that. should be interesting.
  • RrrAwkRrrAwk Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    How do you find the 'thickness' of the Rickenbacker and the Gretsch? I have used the Hoffner bass and find it too thick; the top edge digs into my arm. I much prefer the Strat's 'thinness' so that it feels closer to my body and I don't have to reach over it so far.
    Are the Rick and the Gretsch similar in thickness to the Hoffner or are they quite thin like the Strat?
  • budgiebudgie Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Build of the gretsch is really good quality and the auto calibrate is a huge boon.

One warning if you are a full hand strum type person, there doesn't seem to be any foam padding to the sides of the strum bar like the old guitars so the bar will hit the casing and make a load plastic clicking sound when played that way.