Of Mice and Men Project Suggestions (Fun!)

DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
edited December 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I'm hoping people on here have read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, not only to help me out but it's a great book. Anyway, I have to do a creative project of my choice for the book. One of the options was to create a soundtrack consisting of atleast seven songs. Songs that relate to the book of course, and explain how they relate. I probably know The Beatles more than any other band, plus they have a wide variety of messages in their songs. These are my ideas so far, but I would like some possible suggestions on ones that work out better.

A Day In The Life
George and Lennie's life is very repetitive. They travel from ranch to ranch, trying to get as much work as they can.

There's a Place
Lennie's place in his mind, their dream house. This is the place where he feels at peace.

Nowhere Man
One of the central themes of the story is loneliness, but in particular this relates mostly to the character Crooks. Crooks lives alone in the stable because he is black. At one point in the story, he talks about how a man can't live without anyone to talk to, and nobody to share his ideas with.

You're Going To Lose That Girl
A character named Curley can't treat his wife well. All he talks about is beating people up. (Probably one of my weaker ones)

Run For Your Life
Curley does not want to see his wife talking with other men on the ranch, as he gets very paranoid and stuff.

Think For Yourself
George tells Lennie to avoid trouble with Curley, because George won't always be there to make decisions for him. "Think for yourself 'cause I won't be there with you".

Comments

• ReverseEngineerReverseEngineer Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    George Harrison and John Lennie?

Did I just blow your mind?
  • Celebrated_Mr_KCelebrated_Mr_K Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Interesting project.

Songs that might fit are:
    Fool on the Hill
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Help
    You Won't See Me
    Hide Your Love Away
    Two of Us
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    the_ted;3357655 said:
    In My Life (a capella):
    If you take only the right stereo channel of In My Life, you get just the vocals, which makes for a very bare, pure version of the song. This would be a beautiful song to shoot Lenny by, emphasizing the gravity of George's choice by mirroring their intense brotherly love throughout life. And just as John finishes singing the last falsetto "in my life..." the song cuts out as the gun goes off and I start bawling.
    Yes, but like, I'm not putting it into the movie or anything. I'm just burning a CD and writing how each song relates.

Celebrated_Mr_K, how exactly would those fit? The only one I'm understanding is Two Of Us, showing the friendship between George and Lennie.

Thinking about it, I think Think For Yourself would work well. I'll add it to my list.
  • the_tedthe_ted Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    [QUOTE=DookieMan;3358321]Yes, but like, I'm not putting it into the movie or anything. I'm just burning a CD and writing how each song relates./QUOTE]

yeah, i get it, i was just sayin.
  • Marvelfan13Marvelfan13 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    HA I had to do this project myself. Why all Beatles songs. I mean, they are great and all, but can't you throw in some other artists? I chose some songs from the 30's ("Anything Goes" by Cole Porter is great) because it takes place in the 30's and deals with the depression. Don't do only beatles songs. Your teacher might get mad. Anyways, Nowhere Man and Run For Your Life is good. Keep that in there. Getting Better is a bad choice in my opinion. Golden Slumbers/Carry that weight MIGHT work only because it COULD deal with George having to kill Lennie "Golden Slumbers fill your eyes. Smiles await you when you rise, sleep pretty darling please do not cry. And I will sing a lullaby." and George will have to "Carry that weight"
    edited December 2009
    I think my teacher will be okay with it, considering I know that she likes The Beatles and likes me as a student. Many soundtracks out there consist of one artist, so yeah.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    DookieMan;3356891 said:
    I'm hoping people on here have read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, not only to help me out but it's a great book. Anyway, I have to do a creative project of my choice for the book. One of the options was to create a soundtrack consisting of atleast seven songs. Songs that relate to the book of course, and explain how they relate. I probably know The Beatles more than any other band, plus they have a wide variety of messages in their songs. These are my ideas so far, but I would like some possible suggestions on ones that work out better.

A Day In The Life
    George and Lennie's life is very repetitive. They travel from ranch to ranch, trying to get as much work as they can.

Do You Want To Know a Secret
    George tells Lennie about their future house, but tells him to keep it a secret.

Nowhere Man
    One of the central themes of the story is loneliness, but in particular this relates mostly to the character Crooks. Crooks lives alone in the stable because he is black. At one point in the story, he talks about how a man can't live without anyone to talk to, and nobody to share his ideas with.

You're Going To Lose That Girl
    A character named Curley can't treat his wife well. All he talks about is beating people up. (Probably one of my weaker ones)

Run For Your Life
    Curley does not want to see his wife talking with other men on the ranch, as he gets very paranoid and stuff.

Think For Yourself
    George tells Lennie to avoid trouble with Curley, because George won't always be there to make decisions for him. "Think for yourself 'cause I won't be there with you".
    If it's jsut titles of the songs, this works well, but if it's the actual song, outside of the titular line, "Do You Want to Know a Secret" makes no sense. Same for "A Day in the Life" (he "saw a film today, oh boy"?).

If you're stuck with just Beatles, these will be adequate, but you may have to explain the reasoning for the first two a bit better.
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I understand Do You want To Know a Secret, but I don't think my teacher is really expecting too much.

Also, I think you might be looking at A Day In The Life a bit too literally. The central message really isn't about seeing a movie or a car crash. The main message is the typical daily routine.
    edited December 2009
    DookieMan;3359689 said:
    Yeah, I understand Do You want To Know a Secret, but I don't think my teacher is really expecting too much.

Also, I think you might be looking at A Day In The Life a bit too literally. The central message really isn't about seeing a movie or a car crash. The main message is the typical daily routine.
    The main message is the ability of the daily routine to turn us apathetic, as the car crash and violent movie are common occurences to which we become disillusioned. Disillusionment isn't a central theme of the novella at all.
  • reppination7reppination7 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    instead of "do you want to know a secret" use "here comes the sun" they talk about how they want the future to be like, like it will be here eventually, how things will be, in here come the sun "its been a long and lonely winter" like how tough there lives hve been for awhile, they are keeping an optimistic view as they are seeing its just around the corner for them "sun sun sun here it comes"

but thats just my opinion on what you should use
    edited December 2009
    reppination7;3359774 said:
    instead of "do you want to know a secret" use "here comes the sun" they talk about how they want the future to be like, like it will be here eventually, how things will be, in here come the sun "its been a long and lonely winter" like how tough there lives hve been for awhile, they are keeping an optimistic view as they are seeing its just around the corner for them "sun sun sun here it comes"

but thats just my opinion on what you should use
    I see where you're going with that, but Here Comes The Sun seems to be about the good things that have just happened. In the book, their optimistic future never actually happens.
    edited December 2009
    DookieMan;3359929 said:
    I see where you're going with that, but Here Comes The Sun seems to be about the good things that have just happened. In the book, their optimistic future never actually happens.
    i know, i have read the book, but thats the one thing that give them comfort, talking about there dream, and the rabbits

EDIT: how about "there's a place" instead of "do you want to know a secret"
    edited December 2009
    I don't get how There's a Place would work.
    edited December 2009
    well listen to the lyrics of it "there's a place where i can go, when i feel low, when i feel blue, and its my mind"
    even when things got bad they could think about the place they always talked about having (with the rabbits)
    "in my mind there's no sorrow" saying that when they think about that place it always made them happy
    if that makes any sense, i for one think it would work better than "do you want to know a secret"
  • rad5brandonrad5brandon Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Happiness is a Warm Gun.
    Lenny. and their adventures as a whole.
    But it could look a little over the top and sarcastic
    edited December 2009
    reppination7;3360472 said:
    well listen to the lyrics of it "there's a place where i can go, when i feel low, when i feel blue, and its my mind"
    even when things got bad they could think about the place they always talked about having (with the rabbits)
    "in my mind there's no sorrow" saying that when they think about that place it always made them happy
    if that makes any sense, i for one think it would work better than "do you want to know a secret"
    That is a very good point, thanks for that.
  • Lily_MuLily_Mu RB Wii Super Fan
    edited December 2009
    I read it for english.

Getting Better fits perfectly.
    edited December 2009
    Ugh... people either say Getting Better is bad, then all the sudden you say it fits perfectly... I think Here Comes the Sun might possibly be a better choice as a replacement for it.
  • Lily_MuLily_Mu RB Wii Super Fan
    edited December 2009
    DookieMan;3361083 said:
    Ugh... people either say Getting Better is bad, then all the sudden you say it fits perfectly... I think Here Comes the Sun might possibly be a better choice as a replacement for it.
    Those that say so haven't seen the movie.

George is always reminding Lenny that things will get better, that they will one day have their own barn with their own cows and their own farm animals.
    edited December 2009
    glad to see you switch the songs for the second one, and took my advice, i still dont like a day in the life for the first one, but thats just me
  • Big-A2Big-A2 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Pretty much all of Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited album would work very well. Have a listen to it on YouTube or whatever of you have 50 minutes to spare

Like A Rolling Stone: We are introduced to George and Lennie's financial state, living from farm to farm with "no direction home".

Tombstone Blues: The time it takes place in it set. "Momma's in the factory / she's aint got no shoes / Daddy's in the alley / he's looking for food" could relate to the great depression, and "The ghost of Belle Starr she hands down her wits / To Jezebel the nun she violently knits / A bald wig for Jack the Ripper who sits / At the head of the chamber of commerce" outlines the political unstablity.

It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry/From A Bruick 6: Not too sure about these two, since they're disguised as a love songs, but a similar themes to Like A Rolling Stone, "Well, I ride on a mailtrain, baby, / can't buy a thrill." You could also say it's about Lennie's attraction to Curley's wife.

Ballad Of A Thin Man: This one can clearly be about how everyone treats the labourers like crap. "You raise up your head / And you ask, "Is this where it is?" / And somebody points to you and says / "It's his" / And you say, "What's mine?" / And somebody else says, "Where what is?" / And you say, "Oh my God / Am I here all alone?""

Queen Jane Approximately: This one is tricky as well. I've got nothing. See if you can see anything relating to Of Mice And Men as you listen to it.

Highway 61 Revisited: The theme of Lennie and George reaching out for the American dream is something that they hold dear to them and pretend that no-one else around has that, although it becomes aparant ont the ranch that some other character wants to help them (forgot his name). But in the end, everyone is heading for the same, just like how every character in the song is instructed to go to "Highway 61".

Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues: George realised that he has to kill Lennie and admits that there’s no American dream. “I started out on burgundy / But soon hit the harder stuff / Everybody said they'd stand behind me / When the game got rough / But the joke was on me / There was nobody even there to call my bluff / I'm going back to New York City / I do believe I've had enough.”

Desolation Row: I really don't have the time to analyse the whole 11 minute thing, but simply put, its tired feeling and recuing theme of a state of mind called "Desolation Row" could be about Lennie's death and the destruction of their dream.

Also, the folk rock nature of the album fits in with the country side and farm scenery of the book/film.

Now what’s this about The Beatles again?
    edited December 2009
    Lily_Mu;3361090 said:
    Those that say so haven't seen the movie.

George is always reminding Lenny that things will get better, that they will one day have their own barn with their own cows and their own farm animals.
    Yes, but the argument people have against that is the fact that things aren't actually getting better like the song says, but they are just hopeful about a better future.

I have seven songs ready, but I can always do more.

Thinking about it, I can think Fool On the Hill makes great sense. Nobody on the ranch understands him, just like the Fool On the Hill.
    edited December 2009
    I disagree with big-A2 that HIghway 61 Revisited is very close to Of Mice and Men, but "Like A Rolling Stone" is far superior to "A Day In The Life" for this assignment.
  • edited December 2009
    rad5brandon;3360579 said:
    happiness is a warm gun.
    Too soon.
  • edited December 2009
    happiness is a warm gun.
    spoilers.
  • fuselage321fuselage321 Ringo Impersonator
    edited December 2009
    Happiness is a Warm Gun.

Just quoting you becuse HMXPope and HMXHenry did.

But I like your revised list, Dookieman:)
    edited December 2009
    Happiness is a Warm Gun.
    Lenny. and their adventures as a whole.
    But it could look a little over the top and sarcastic
    Not to mention that, at least from my observation, that doesn't apply to the story at all save Lennie's being shot and all, and even then, George is feeling guilty and devastated, not happy.... Just throwing those opinions out for the benefit of Dookie and his grade.
  • fuselage321fuselage321 Ringo Impersonator
    edited December 2009
    For the benefit of Dookie and his grade,
    there will be a big parade,
    on the forums.

Developers will all be there,
    Fuselage321's Fair,
    what a scene.

Over threads and mods and polls and locks,
    and lastly through the General Forum.

And tonight, DookieMan challenges his teacher!

I'll be here all weekend, thank you:D
    edited December 2009
    HMXHenry and Pope, I love you. I love how we can get actual HMX employees casually talking about this book.
  • edited December 2009
    DookieMan;3363508 said:
    I love how we can get actual HMX employees casually talking about this book.
    OH, oh no, I was talking about spoilers for Happiness.

And everything I know about "Of Mice and Men" I know from the SNL sketch with Chris Farley and John Malkovich.