Haven't Heard Rubber Soul or Sgt. Pepper...which one?

OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
edited December 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I'm wondering which album I should buy for TB:RB. I haven't heard either album in full. I already have Abbey Road, and I love it.

I don't want to listen to the albums, because I like being surprised by the songs. I'm open to all kinds of music, and I like every song on the TB:RB disc and on Abbey Road to some extent.

I'm leaning towards Sgt. Pepper because it's less expensive.

If it'll help anyone, my favourite plastic instrument to play is the drums, but occasionally I'll invite some friends over for some three-part harmonizing. My mom has said good things about Nowhere Man on Rubber Soul, however.

I don't want to cherry pick either because A) I don't know the songs yet, and B) I plan on getting the full albums eventually.

And don't worry, I won't come back complaining that I wasted money 'cause I don't like the songs. I understand the potential consequences of buying Rock Band songs in the dark. :)

Thanks to anyone who posts suggestions!

Comments

• BlueJayGuyBlueJayGuy Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    I like more Rubber Soul than Pepper. Just in the "fun" factor. I still prefer listen to Sgt than Rubber.
  • fuselage321fuselage321 Ringo Impersonator
    edited December 2009
    I would go Rubber Soul, just so many timeless songs on there. Not to mention, you get to sing a bad word in harmonies on Girl:D
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I prefer Rubber Soul, but why can't you get both?
  • SpantasySpantasy Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    In terms of drumming and harmonies you're going to want to go with Rubber Soul. All of these songs here are great and offer great harmonizing. If you want a wider variety of styles, I would go with Pepper.
  • ReverseEngineerReverseEngineer Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    I vote Rubber Soul. More interesting, in my opinion.
  • oMeGa-8oMeGa-8 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    If you like their earlier stuff more, get Rubber Soul. If you prefer their later stuff, get Sgt. Peppers. Personally, I prefer Sgt. Peppers. The drums, IMO, are a lot more fun. Plus, it's got A Day in the Life.
  • SportzterSportzter Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    You can't go wrong with either pick.
    "A Day in the Life" is on Sgt. Peppers.
    "Nowhere Man" is on Rubber Soul.
    Don't let money be the decision.
    It doesn't really matter if you are going to get both eventually.
    At the end of the day, it is still The Beatles, if you don't like the songs, someone you know probably will.

Good Luck with your decision.
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    DookieMan;3357556 said:
    I prefer Rubber Soul, but why can't you get both?
    I don't have the cash to buy both at the same time, so I figured I'd get one before the other. Thanks for the various recommendations though, everyone. I'll be sure to tell you about my decision and the results after I decide. :) (Because I know everyone cares SO much. :p)
  • RADIO CHRISRADIO CHRIS Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    For drums I say Rubber Soul
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    OakTea;3357495 said:
    If it'll help anyone, my favourite plastic instrument to play is the drums, but occasionally I'll invite some friends over for some three-part harmonizing.
    What Goes On from Rubber Soul is the hardest drum song in the game. It combines I Wanna Be Your Man with the bass drum hits from Can't Buy Me Love. It also has good harmonies, so I'd go with that.
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Another vote here for Rubber Soul
  • elitemastersamelitemastersam Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Plastic soul man. Plastic soul.

Rubber Soul should come first.
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Sgt. Pepper's is the way to go for drums, especially Within You Without You and Fixing a Hole

What's with all the drum recommendations for Rubber Soul? It's mostly boring for drums, and What Goes On is not fun at all
  • Celebrated_Mr_KCelebrated_Mr_K Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Two classic albums...just pick one and save up for the other.
  • losttouristlosttourist Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I cherry picked some of the Sgt. Pepper songs but I downloaded Rubber Soul. Really enjoying Rubber Soul.
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    As others have mentioned, you can't go wrong with either choice, but I'd like to add:

No matter what, download "A Day In the Life." It's the most powerful dreamscape in the entire game, as well as a classic song.
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited December 2009
    Since you're a drummer, definitely go with Sgt. Pepper's. I just bought it today and I wasn't disappointed. She's Leaving Home doesn't have a drum part though.
  • Marvelfan13Marvelfan13 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    It depends on your taste. Rubber Soul is "fun" a lot of the songs aren't really serious. Sgt. Pepper is trippy. That's all I have to say.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    If you haven't heard the albums, either listen to them on youtube:
    Rubber Soul
    SPLHCB
    OR look at the charts from the game:
    Rubber Soul
    &search_type=&aq=f"]SPLHCB
  • xXZeroOverrideXxxXZeroOverrideXx Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Give me another 2 hours to think.
  • edited December 2009
    Rubber Soul, its just so much fun to play!
  • osteofightosteofight Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    My advice: if you like playing guitar as a guitar: Rubber Soul. If you want hard drums: Rubber Soul. If you care about sheer variety of music styles: Sgt. Pepper.
  • chumsicleschumsicles Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    osteofight;3359875 said:
    My advice: if you like playing guitar as a guitar: Rubber Soul. If you want hard drums: Rubber Soul. If you care about sheer variety of music styles: Sgt. Pepper.
    There's only one song that is hard on drums, and that is What Goes On. Every song on Rubber Soul except that song is pretty easy
  • Big-A2Big-A2 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Don't listen to the albums in the game for the first time. Listen to the music on it's own first. Otherwise, you're likely to judge each song on how fun it is to play. Let the music speak for it's self, then after you've heard it all, get the DLC
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I'm definitely not someone to judge the songs solely on how fun/challenging they are to play. I basically consider a fun chart to be a positive asset for songs that I don't like as much.

On the contrary, I am capable of playing (and enjoying!) metal songs with my plastic guitar, but that doesn't stop me from playing Getting Better, or switching over to Bass to play Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

I'm now currently employed, so I'm sure saving up for both won't be difficult. :D
  • Big-A2Big-A2 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    I'm just saying you should experince them properly first. Many songs on Sgt. Pepper blend right into each other without the music stopping. You don't get that on Rock Band.
  • RADIO CHRISRADIO CHRIS Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I would get Pepper.
  • BrentstahBrentstah Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    If you want more songs, Rubber Soul.
    If you LOVE ringo, then Rubber soul. (What Goes On)
    If you want the hardest song on drums in the game, Rubber Soul. (What Goes On)
    If you want a Maxwell's Silver Hammer-style upbeat serious song, Rubber Soul (Run For Your Life)
    If you want songs everyone would know, Rubber Soul (since most everyone would know from SP are in the game. Michelle, Girl, Nowhere Man are some great songs)

If you want the album that changed rock history forever, then Sgt. Pepper.
    If you want great dreamscapes, Sgt Pepper.
    If you want fun drum parts, Sgt. Pepper.

If you want to make the decision for yourself, LISTEN TO THE ALBUMS (HIGHLY reccomended)
    If you want me to make it for you, Sgt. Pepper.
  • MistressDMistressD Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    It depends what you like. Rubber Soul is older and seems a little more like pop music than Sgt. Pepper. Also, beware "What Goes On" on drums! My pick would be this album for harmonies, but to be honest, Abbey Road's my favorite too and I enjoy Sgt. Pepper better.
  • zepplinmikezepplinmike Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Man, you need to find a way to get the actual music. Borrow it from a friend, listen to it on Youtube, buy the boxset, whatever. It's not that difficult. This game is a good introduction to listening to the Beatles' music, but shouldn't be a substitute for it.