Trippolette

Andrew-BuchAndrew-Buch Unsigned
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I thought I would share this with you guys here:

Trippolette for RBN!

Long ago, in the dawn of our Rhythm Gaming Civilization, there was a Song. A Song that rocked so hard it was banned from the land. Known by many names, those who dared to seek it had to undergo a perilous quest in order to unearth it from its tomb.

Now that Song has once again arisen, and is ready to be rocked. Be forewarned - only the most godly of Rock Bands will be able to master it. Do you think you have what it takes to defeat the almighty Trippolette?
400 x 293 - 49K

Comments

• LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for posting the video, your song looks awesome. I'm hoping this becomes popular enough to come to PS3. :)
  • MithinMithin Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Can't wait to give this song a nice thorough playtest ! Never realized how intricate the basswork was til i saw the video. Great Job based on what I saw :)
  • NSIYusukeNSIYusuke Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Good going, Andrew =) Glad to see it here, and with some remastering, too? Maybe you can tell us why you made this song? Your inspirations?
  • BStu78BStu78 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Not sure if its changed since I playtested, but the song was a beast on Medium Bass. I'm a good Medium guitarist (even FC'd thing song) and usually a good Hard bassist, but I struggled to get 4 stars on Medium. Really enjoyed that guitar part, though. VERY challenging, but rewarding, too.
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Dang, that looks awesome! Another song to add to my RBN buylist, looks like a fun song, not to mention a sizable challenge. :)
  • bootz0rsbootz0rs Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Oh how times have changed.
  • Bobman32xBobman32x Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I consider this song to be the 1st "DLC" even though it was never neded a Download/ Well I had to download a gameshark code:P
  • JadisJadis Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    YEEEEEES! Dunno if you remember me, but I emailed you about Trippolette a while back. This song's going to be such a beast, I can't wait to play it...
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Awesome! Thanks for the vid!
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited December 2009
  • Andrew-BuchAndrew-Buch Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Jadis;3359230 said:
    YEEEEEES! Dunno if you remember me, but I emailed you about Trippolette a while back. This song's going to be such a beast, I can't wait to play it...
    Yes, I remember you emailing me. I think I ... evaded answering about Trippolette at the time - but as you can see, it is in fact getting a Rock Band Network release!
  • metalchartermetalcharter Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Yay - I loved this song back in the day - first expert FC too (on the GH2 engine on a custom - GH1 engine was horribly broken)

This will definitely be a purchase for me - about time it came out OFFICIALLY.
  • dman7529dman7529 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Thank you so much Andrew for letting this song rise once again! Insta-buy!!

To answer a question that was posted earlier, and maybe Andrew can share more, but as I recall, the reason Trippolette was created, was to test the GH1 engine and what it could do.
  • DastardDastard Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I think the pertinent question at this point is do you have any other compositions for RBN release, or are you going to make some? :D

Seriously though, <3 trippolette, it's a really fun composition gameplay and musicwise. Here's hoping for more polyrhythms in the future.
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    That drum fill in the screenshot looks weird.

Looking forward to this song.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Trippolette? AWESOME! :D
  • zack10housezack10house Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Amazing! I literally bought a wireless GH Flying V because it was bundled with a gameshark disc :p best 40 bucks ever.
  • DastardDastard Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Thom1234;3368887 said:
    That drum fill in the screenshot looks weird.

Looking forward to this song.
    4 over 3 polyrhythms, bro.
    edited December 2009
    Dastard;3366975 said:
    I think the pertinent question at this point is do you have any other compositions for RBN release, or are you going to make some? :D
    Well, I am definitely planning a few more compositions for the game. However I am also working with several yet-to-be-announced artists on the Rock Band Network, authoring their content for the game. Many of said artists are fairly big-names, and quite a few have content that is similar to Trippolette.

In fact, the song I'm in the midst of authoring right now has a 9/8 polyrhythm against a 4/4 groove for one of it's main riffs - so you have that to look forward to :D
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited December 2009
    Andrew-Buch;3373668 said:
    Well, I am definitely planning a few more compositions for the game. However I am also working with several yet-to-be-announced artists on the Rock Band Network, authoring their content for the game. Many of said artists are fairly big-names, and quite a few have content that is similar to Trippolette.

In fact, the song I'm in the midst of authoring right now has a 9/8 polyrhythm against a 4/4 groove for one of it's main riffs - so you have that to look forward to :D
    That's awesome, I can't wait until those artists are revealed as well as the other songs you're planning to release on RBN. :D
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Andrew-Buch;3373668 said:
    Colour me excited. I love me some polyrhythms.

RBN is becoming a more exciting prospect by the day. Hopefully HMX can have it ready in the next couple of months, since there's already about 30+ songs announced that I will absolutely buy (Trippolette and the aforementioned 9/8 4/4 song being among them.)
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Nice, I loved this song on GH1! A definite buy from me
  • GandWuserGandWuser Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I really want this but I only have RB2 on Wii.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Sweet, we get to play this song legally.

Guitar chart needs some work though.
    edited December 2009
    Kariodude;3381026 said:
    Guitar chart needs some work though.
    Really? You're the first person I've heard say that. What do you think could be improved? I'm interested to hear your opinion - maybe there's something I overlooked, and I'd be happy to tweak it.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    song sounds awesome, hope it comes to PS3. That said, I have question for the durms:

The yellow-blue hi-hat thing seems to be played throughout the song over dubbed with a snare. When you introduce the snare why do you take away the blue pad?
    edited December 2009
    DanB91;3381498 said:
    song sounds awesome, hope it comes to PS3. That said, I have question for the durms:

The yellow-blue hi-hat thing seems to be played throughout the song over dubbed with a snare. When you introduce the snare why do you take away the blue pad?
    The Yellow-Blue pattern is actually all played on a hi-hat. The pattern is " o-c-o-c-o-c-c | o-c-o-c-o-c-c | ... "

This would be fine for Rock Band, except that the game does not have a pedal to open and close the hi-hat. Therefore, the trick is to find a way to represent this pattern with the hardware limitations.

One way to do this is to map a different pad to the "open" hat then to the "closed" hat. This is what you see in the beginning - the blue pad is open, the yellow is closed.

However keep in mind that in reality all of this was played on one hat in a drum-kit - meaning the other hand was probably busy doing other things (like playing the snare). And while the blue-yellow pattern works fine when both hands are free, if the left hand is occupied then it becomes ridiculous - and far harder than it would be to perform on a real drum kit.

Moving all of the blue hits onto the yellow doesn't work either, because then the pattern becomes " y-y-y-y-y-y-y | y-y-y-y-y-y-y | ... " - which doesn't show the accents.

So I compromised. In the intro (and whenever the drummer isn't playing the snare, such as after the 2nd solo section), the pattern is "b-y-b-y-b-y-y." When the left hand is preoccupied, the right hand pattern is switched to "y---y---y---y | y---y---y---y | ... " - as this brings out the accents while not forcing blue / yellow alternation.

Obviously this isn't ideal, but it is the best solution for the hardware.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Andrew-Buch;3381522 said:
    The Yellow-Blue pattern is actually all played on a hi-hat. The pattern is " o-c-o-c-o-c-c | o-c-o-c-o-c-c | ... "

This would be fine for Rock Band, except that the game does not have a pedal to open and close the hi-hat. Therefore, the trick is to find a way to represent this pattern with the hardware limitations.

One way to do this is to map a different pad to the "open" hat then to the "closed" hat. This is what you see in the beginning - the blue pad is open, the yellow is closed.

However keep in mind that in reality all of this was played on one hat in a drum-kit - meaning the other hand was probably busy doing other things (like playing the snare). And while the blue-yellow pattern works fine when both hands are free, if the left hand is occupied then it becomes ridiculous - and far harder than it would be to perform on a real drum kit.

Moving all of the blue hits onto the yellow doesn't work either, because then the pattern becomes " y-y-y-y-y-y-y | y-y-y-y-y-y-y | ... " - which doesn't show the accents.

So I compromised. In the intro (and whenever the drummer isn't playing the snare, such as after the 2nd solo section), the pattern is "b-y-b-y-b-y-y." When the left hand is preoccupied, the right hand pattern is switched to "y---y---y---y | y---y---y---y | ... " - as this brings out the accents while not forcing blue / yellow alternation.

Obviously this isn't ideal, but it is the best solution for the hardware.
    Just because it would be more difficult doesn't mean it should be undercharted lol.

To me, it seems more awkward when the open hi hat isn't hit. A hit should be charted as a hit regardless.

Example: look at "Walk like an Egyptian". the toms are overdubbed over the flams and bass in the beginning. Instead of completely ignoring the toms (which HMX well could have), they charted them. Charting might be slightly weird but having the toms playing and not hitting them would be even more awkward imo