Quick Hopo Shortcut Question

EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
edited December 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I was just curious, if i select each note in a track which is forced Hopo ON - can i then just do one midi note dragged through the whole song in the force hopos OFF line?

i epxect not but thought id ask

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited December 2009
    The game will automatically assign HOPOs based on the distance between the notes (anything 16th or faster and a different color than the preceding note is made a HOPO). If you have certain sections with Force HOPO On, you do not need to put Force HOPO Off over every other note in the song or vice versa.

In other words, Force HOPO On or Off only affects the notes that are underneath the marker you placed, not any notes that come after the marker.
  • EvileOLEvileOL Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    ahhh, the only reason I ask is, some of the automatically assigned HOPOs, in my opninion as a player, shouldn't be there, so I like to go through making sure which ones are/should be hopos, then making the rest of the track definetly not hopos.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    If I understand your question, you are wondering who would win in a "Force HOPO On" vs "Force HOPO Off" war.

I would hope that you could indeed drag a huge "Force HOPO Off" the entire length of the song, then place specific "Force HOPO On" notes where you want the HOPO's to be. This would have the very helpful effect of disabling the auto-generator with a minimum of muss and fuss.

I had a situation similar to yours where this would be useful (it is a very slow song--60bpm and so the auto-generator made way too many HOPOS because in beat terms the notes were close, but in time terms the notes were far apart). I suspect you might have the opposite problem :)

So anyway I wimped out and just placed specific ON and OFF notes on every single note, but I had the urge to test dragging an OFF note the entire length of the song. This thread might be enough to make me actually test it.
    edited December 2009
    EvileOL;3364971 said:
    ahhh, the only reason I ask is, some of the automatically assigned HOPOs, in my opninion as a player, shouldn't be there, so I like to go through making sure which ones are/should be hopos, then making the rest of the track definetly not hopos.
    Keep in mind that HMX recommends using those sparingly. You shouldn't really have large sections of the song with HOPOs forced on or off. The HOPOs assigned by the game may not necessarily be played that way on a real guitar but keep in mind, it is still a game and needs to be fun for the player. :)
  • matrix_loaded02matrix_loaded02 Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    I'm just curious, but does anyone actually WANT hopos during alt-strumming sections? I noticed they are included in most HMX songs but I can't imagine anyone would actually use them.
    edited December 2009
    trg007;3365363 said:
    Keep in mind that HMX recommends using those sparingly. You shouldn't really have large sections of the song with HOPOs forced on or off. The HOPOs assigned by the game may not necessarily be played that way on a real guitar but keep in mind, it is still a game and needs to be fun for the player. :)
    Ahh, the battle between fun and accuracy! I find evidence of this battle in the authoring docs and I just don't understand it when it comes to hammers on. What could be more fun than playing it like the guitarist did?

In my authoring I force them on or off without guilt to match what is recorded because how can some arbitrary automatic algorithm know what is most "fun"?
    edited December 2009
    OK I just finished authoring the bass part for my current song and I had the need to veto a lot of the automatic hammers on that magma threw in there.

I have verified that if you drag a "Force HOPOs OFF" note over your entire song, you are then free to place specific "Force HOPOs ON" notes where you want them.

So in a fight between a "forced ON" and a "forced OFF", the "forced ON" will win, which is good.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Good to know! Thanks for confirming.

- m
    edited December 2009
    ethicalpaul;3375487 said:
    What could be more fun than playing it like the guitarist did?
    Usually when it gets into the "not fun" territory is when there is constant fast strumming with fret changes on nearly every strum. See: Snow ((Hey Oh)). Not every real guitar technique can be translated well onto our plastic guitars with 5 buttons and one "string" so sometimes fun trumps accuracy. :)
    edited December 2009
    OK I can see that. I was thinking more about hammers on.
    ...I just don't understand it when it comes to hammers on. What could be more fun than playing it like the guitarist did?
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    cool, this is a good find. I have a slow song, so in the medium speed parts it reads it as a fast part and puts HOPOS where they shouldnt be. This will be usefull for fixing that.
    edited December 2009
    That was exactly my situation. 60 bpm :)