Even Rats full chart autoplay video

TheAuthorityClintonTheAuthorityClinton Opening Act
edited January 2010 in The Rock Band Network
In case anyone would like to check it out I wanted to let you know that we uploaded a full gameplay video of Even Rats by The Slip to YouTube.
Have a look. Oh an stay tuned for a sneak peek at the end of the video. Enjoy!

Comments

• xXZeroOverrideXxxXZeroOverrideXx Rising Star
    edited December 2009
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Lokks great! I'll definately pick this one up as soon as it's available.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited December 2009
    EDIT: Nevermind.

I can't wait to play this in the game.
  • TheAuthorityClintonTheAuthorityClinton Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I think there might be a little offset in the final play back on the youtube video. It's a real bugger to get right. It's usually the final compression that YouTube applies that screws something up. I thought it was pretty close with this one but there is some slight offset in the audio. Please trust me when I say that the last two snare hits your hearing fall where they should in those gems. There are 8 gem there. The drummer is playing + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1. Half of the hits are light and half of them are emphasized. The last two are emphasized (the + 1). The 4 offbeat crash/kicks are on upbeats after the 1.

Thanks for looking so closely though. The real challenge in this song is the drum pattern in the final section. Andrew Barr of The Slip is a heck of a drummer. Wait till you see the end of Children of December.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited December 2009
    TheAuthorityClinton;3373652 said:
    Thanks for looking so closely though. The real challenge in this song is the drum pattern in the final section. Andrew Barr of The Slip is a heck of a drummer. Wait till you see the end of Children of December.
    I'll take your word for it then~ can't wait to play this song. :)

Also good to know we have more than one song from them coming our way!
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited December 2009
    TheAuthorityClinton;3373652 said:
    I think there might be a little offset in the final play back on the youtube video.
    I think that's the case. In the beginning it sounds matched up, but as the song goes on it gets further and further off.

Looks great, I know a lot of people that will die when they find out this is finally coming back to rhythm games!
  • Fuelie79Fuelie79 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
  • TorqueAODTorqueAOD Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    If there was anything I could add, it would be some percussion for the vocals for the first minute.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited December 2009
    Awesome, thanks for posting the video! :)
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited December 2009
    you should really fix the audio sync then because it makes it look like the charting makes zero sense
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, the audio is off pretty bad. YouTube fixed most of their syncing problems a long time ago. The only way it happens now is when a video is in some funky format. Best thing to do is upload in the recommended MP4 format.
  • Bobman32xBobman32x Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I cant wait. AND Children of December?! Nice!
    edited December 2009
    Okay. I've reuploaded a new version. It seems to be fine over here.

I changed the link in the beginning of the thread but here is is again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b2JjJzuZUo

Check it out!
  • JPSChampagneJPSChampagne Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    I posted a comment on the video, but I'm not sure if it went through. On the "real home cooking" phrase: I think it could be a toss-up, but I know that a talkie on the word "cooking" would make sense to me and make that phrase a lot easier to hit. Just, audibly, to me, that would be my call.

I respect your decision either way on it, though, as it's certainly something that could go either way. That would just be my preference. Awesome to see the song coming!
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for checking out the video so closely JPSChampagne. I think we have the vocal authoring where we want it. I can see where your coming from. I do think I hear just as much F# in "cookin'" as I do in "home" though.

I'm sure you'll be able to ace the song. That certainly can't the hardest bit of the tune yeah? Thanks for checking it out!
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited December 2009
    I've noticed a lot of what seem to be missing notes on the drums.

@2:10 I'm pretty sure I hear more rides than what is charted.
    edited December 2009
    During playtest there were some feedback about those notes being inaudible by people who were actually playing the song. We chose to take out some of the specific nuanced 8th note ride hits they were pointing out.
  • JesusSilencioJesusSilencio Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    TheAuthorityClinton;3388034 said:
    During playtest there were some feedback about those notes being inaudible by people who were actually playing the song. We chose to take out some of the specific nuanced 8th note ride hits they were pointing out.
    I don't know, I can hear them pretty clearly. HMX typically charts inner beats on the ride as long as they're somewhat audible.

I can understand why you took out the inner beats during the spots that have accents on the off beat though, as those are not really audible.

-during the hi-hat off beat intro, I believe there are some ghost notes on the snare that aren't charted.
    -I believe there's a tom hit on that last green at 1:03.
    -At 3:43 I think there needs to be a snare hit right before the last green crash.
    -At 3:44 he's hitting the crash with the snare.

There are 1 or 2 spots where the drummer is hits a cymbal with his left hand right before he hits the crash (like at 5:09) that you charted as 2 greens. It might make more sense to chart the left hand as yellow to preserve the feel of it, since crossing over to hit the green with the left hand is sorta awkward.

All that said though, I'm excited for this song. It was one of my favorites on GH1, and the drum chart looks fun.
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited December 2009
    The outro seems very undercharted, to the point where it's really confusing to hear the notes and see the chart going at the same time. Don't be afraid to chart something that may be too hard for some people to play. Saying that because it seems like that's what you did with the drums.

There are also alot of times where it goes straight to a green roll from a ride beat. Usually those are charted to yellow, regardless of if it's floor tom or not.
  • Tego1inTego1in Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Ahh the memories.
    Even Rats was the first bonus song I played when I got GH1.
  • xRagexRage Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Is it just me, or does the bass chart seem to be charted wrong at some points?

I really do think it's just me, I just have to get other opinions cause I'm never very faithful with my ears.
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited January 2010
    Woah. :D

I could probably play that song up to 4:16. That part gets crazy on the drums.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Soratar;3394332 said:
    Woah. :D

I could probably play that song up to 4:16. That part gets crazy on the drums.
    It turns into the funky part from YYZ. Really looking forward to playing it.
  • Watchmen89Watchmen89 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    The best song from Guitar Hero comes back with a vengeance in RBN! Love the song and now the drum chart is making me want this song right now.
  • snwns26snwns26 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Looks fun, love the song. Like others have said there are some very noticeable rides not charted in various parts. And there are a couple times where I think the green toms should be changed to yellow, like around 5:36 and a couple other parts too (and especially in the Children of December preview along with missing snares). The style of charting here reminds me of GH which is bad, use the yellow pad for more than just hihat, this isn't GH. Also the whoa whoa whoa part isn't consistent charted on drums when i'm pretty sure it should be. either stick to just plain reds the whole time or make those parts all like 1:57, not entirely sure if the blues are right when that part pops up again at 3:06, pick something and stick with it. And at 2:03 i don't hear a snare at all, that should be a blue or yellow, probably yellow because you use blue for a different sounding tom at the end. just some tips. :P
  • JesusSilencioJesusSilencio Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    CCDaDon;3393042 said:
    The outro seems very undercharted, to the point where it's really confusing to hear the notes and see the chart going at the same time. Don't be afraid to chart something that may be too hard for some people to play. Saying that because it seems like that's what you did with the drums.
    What's undercharted about it? HMX doesn't typically chart the inner beats when they have an offbeat pattern like that (see YYZ for example).
    CCDaDon said:
    There are also alot of times where it goes straight to a green roll from a ride beat. Usually those are charted to yellow, regardless of if it's floor tom or not.
    At 5:35 it does sound like that tom fill is going down the toms (rather than just staying on one), so it probably should start on yellow. I'm not totally sure though.
    snwns26;3400616 said:
    Also the whoa whoa whoa part isn't consistent charted on drums when i'm pretty sure it should be. either stick to just plain reds the whole time or make those parts all like 1:57, not entirely sure if the blues are right when that part pops up again at 3:06, pick something and stick with it.
    It sounds to me like the drummer is playing different some of the time, and the charting seems to be right. Some of them he's just doing plain accents every ~3 beats, and some of them he's doing flams. I'll admit I don't hear the blue tom too well at the parts like 3:06, but he isn't hitting snare, and I would believe that there's tom there (as tom sounds can sometimes get lost in the mix).
    snwns said:
    And at 2:03 i don't hear a snare at all, that should be a blue or yellow, probably yellow because you use blue for a different sounding tom at the end. just some tips. :P
    Pretty sure it's actually snare there. It doesn't sound like a tom to me at all.

By the way, I'm just noticing the 5-let at 2:57 now. That's pretty cool stuff.
  • Redsvetz22Redsvetz22 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Sounds a little different than the GH1 version. Is this my imagination?
  • mjlambert1mjlambert1 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited January 2010
    With YYZ, they only charted the louder snare accents, with the outro to this song there are MANY loud snare accents that are left out that you can clearly hear. It doesn't have anything to do with "inner beats" it has to do with "Can you hear it or not?", and I certainly hear alot more than what is charted.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Mighty impressive. The mixing needs a little bit of tweaking, which is my only qualm. The bass is a hair too low when it plays alongside the lead guitar (which made me think it was charted improperly), and when the vocals and guitar are together at the end, you could turn them both down slightly so that melody isn't masking everything else. The synth at 2:48-2:55 is burying the guitar chords, and that's really it. Other than that, I already can't wait to play it on my Wii once HMX transfers RBN songs to the other consoles (especially drums)!
    Redsvetz22;3402690 said:
    Sounds a little different than the GH1 version. Is this my imagination?
    GH1 version was remixed to bring the guitar out. This time, all four instruments have to be heard.