PS3 Mic does not work

MossbirdMossbird Unsigned
edited December 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Now before I start:

Yes I have read all the posts about microphones :mad:
No I am not a technophobe - I'm a geek girl gamer who loves The Beatles :D
Yes I am aware the Xbox is superior to the PS3 ;)

Ok - I know I have to have a PS3 controller plugged in and use this for navigation - which I am doing but I keep getting the dreaded "You must have a microphone for each player" message.

I have 4 usb ports in the front of the PS3. Controller is set to 1. Drums in 2 (working) Guitar in 3 (working). If I plug mic in to 2,3,4 or either of the guitar USB dongle ports I get the message. Occasionally I get to the select screen with the microphone and when I press X I get the same message.

Can someone please for the love of cake post a step-by-step guide for setting up Beatles Rock Band on PS3 so the mic works. Unfortunatley just posting "You need a contoller set up to use the mic" is not enough. I have the controller plugged in and still nada.

Please respond as if I'm a 5 year old. I won't take it personally promise :-)

Many thanks :cool:

Comments

• Stig_the_PigStig_the_Pig Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Don't you have to add USB mic or so? in settings
    Don't know it though...
  • Opus PenguinOpus Penguin Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    I have three mics set up ... one is the mic that came with the Limited Edition Bundle, the other two are Singstar mics. I have the one that came with the LE bundle plugged into a USB port on one of the Beatles dongles that came with the game, which is plugged directly into port one (not sure this matters, but this is my set up). The other USB port on the dongle has a secondary Beatles two-port dongle. The Singstar box is plugged into one of the ports on the second Beatles dongle. The two Singstar mics are plugged into the box. So all-in-all I have all three mics working off of port one on the PS3. This works fine for me.
  • MossbirdMossbird Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Opus Penguin;3376625 said:
    I have three mics set up ... one is the mic that came with the Limited Edition Bundle, the other two are Singstar mics. I have the one that came with the LE bundle plugged into a USB port on one of the Beatles dongles that came with the game, which is plugged directly into port one (not sure this matters, but this is my set up). The other USB port on the dongle has a secondary Beatles two-port dongle. The Singstar box is plugged into one of the ports on the second Beatles dongle. The two Singstar mics are plugged into the box. So all-in-all I have all three mics working off of port one on the PS3. This works fine for me.
    :cool:really jealous you have 3 mice working but that doesn't really help me out. I need step by step instructions from turning the ps3 on to setting up dongles and mic and game pads. I have tried every single combination and I am soooooooo angry and tired of it by now. Like I said instructions to me as if I'm 5 years old and have never seen a PS3 before :-)
  • MarioUKMarioUK Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Hey,

Follow these instructions for a 5-year old and hopefully all should be ok :)

Before starting: Plug in the USB microphone into one of the USB ports on the PS3. It doesnt matter which one you use, or if you plug it via the Rock Band dongle, either way is the same. In my case, I generally plug it directly into one of the PS3 USB ports directly.

Also, when I refer to the original PS3 controller, i mean the wireless game controller that came with your PS3 when you bought it. It is also referred to as a "Sixaxis" controller or a "Dual Shock 3" controller. The controller does work wirelessly, although if its run out of battery, you might need to connect it to your PS3 using a USB cable to charge it.

1. Switch on the PS3 using either the power button on the PS3, or pressing the Playstation button on the original controller that came with your PS3.

NOTE: If you switch on directly on your PS3, make sure you press the Playstation button on the original PS3 controller, to make sure that its switched on too :) You will know when the game controller is working ok if you look at the back of it. You will see 4 lights numbered 1-4. One of these will be lit up with a solid red light, normally the number 1 light.
    NOTE 2 : Insert the Beatles : Rock Band game at this point if you haven't already done so already!

2. On the PS3 menu system, using the original PS3 controller, scroll to the Game option, then scroll to the "Beatles : Rock Band" disc icon, and select it. Game should start booting.

3. The game intro should start. Press a key on the PS3 original controller if you you want to skip it (Start or X buttons should at least do it). You should now be on a screen with the game logo with "Press Start". Press Start on the original PS3 controller to proceed to the main menu of the game.

4. Select the game mode you want to play. For argument sake lets say Quickplay! Select the Quickplay option, then Local Quickplay.

5. The band selection screen should appear where you select what instruments you want to use. This is the crucial part.....Using the original PS3 controller, press the X button. You should hear a noise, and the microphone icon should now be selected. You have now selected the mode for singing :)

6. Press Start on the original PS3 controller and you should be presented with a list of songs to play. Select the song you wish to sing by using the original controller to scroll through, pressing X to select the song you wish to sing.

7. A screen should appear where you select if you want to sing Harmonies or the Solo part of the song. Select the part you wish to sing, and press X on the original controller to select. The song should now load up and ready to play!

8. Enjoy!

Let us know how you get on! Also my PSN username is mariouk if you ever wanna play online :)
    edited December 2009
    At option five it says you must use 1-3 microphones one for each vocalist. Very very occasionally it gets to the press x on controller which I do and then get the same message :-(
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, maybe the mic is faulty? Its possible that the PS3/Rock Band isn't even detecting the mic is even plugged in.
    edited December 2009
    Shall I try another ps3 mic with it? If it means getting out of
    my pj's and braving town then so be it :-)
    edited December 2009
    Might be worth trying another mic yeah! You don't need a special PS3 mic though, any USB microphone works with the PS3, so if you have a microphone for your PC already that uses USB then that should work fine....will save you a trip out the house then :)
    edited December 2009
    Had to go out anyway. Bought 2 Singstar mics that work perfectly so the mic with the bundle is broken. Hooray at least I wasn't going mad setting up everything incorrectly. Thanks very much for your help though :)
    edited December 2009
    Hooray!!! Glad its all working great for you, see you online sometime maybe :)

PSN ID : mariouk