Quick question about Fallout 3 GOTY

BubBub Generic Person
edited December 2009 in Less Rokk More Talk
I recently got Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition and I was wondering. Since all the DLC is preuploaded can I go and do a DLC section like Operation: Anchorage and then come back and do some of the main game quests. Like can I beat some DLC and play a little of the main Fallout 3 game?

Comments

• Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited December 2009
    Yep, the world is yours to play with. (however some spots will be way tougher... beware the deathclaws)
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited December 2009
    Lawdog1521;3378829 said:
    Yep, the world is yours to play with. (however some spots will be way tougher... beware the deathclaws)
    Have yet to come across them the worse I've come up against is the Yao Gaoi. Also any robots are annoying.
    edited December 2009
    Bub;3378838 said:
    Have yet to come across them the worse I've come up against is the Yao Gaoi. Also any robots are annoying.
    For your basic character (fresh from the vault) a deathclaw can be instatly leathal. Once you're salted though you can finish them without a problem.

But since you have GOTY edition there are worse things crawling around out there, so be safe vault dweller. ;)

Edit: Keep in mind some of the DLC is geared somewhat for higher levels (I'm looking at you Point Lookout) Make sure you're saving a lot on diffrent files so if the need to backtrack comes up you'll be ok. (Or if the game glitches.. )
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited December 2009
    Lawdog1521;3378849 said:
    For your basic character (fresh from the vault) a deathclaw can be instatly leathal. Once you're salted though you can finish them without a problem.

But since you have GOTY edition there are worse things crawling around out there, so be safe vault dweller. ;)

Edit: Keep in mind some of the DLC is geared somewhat for higher levels (I'm looking at you Point Lookout) Make sure you're saving a lot on diffrent files so if the need to backtrack comes up you'll be ok. (Or if the game glitches.. )
    Oh I've played Fallout 3 before. I have my save file from when I rented it awhile back. But yeah I'll be sure to do that. It's just nice to know I can do any of the add-ons without worrying that I can't go back and do things in the main game. Wait, after I finish a add-on like Point Lookout I return to D.C. right?
  • DemiGodRavenDemiGodRaven Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    one of the quests for broken steel takes place in old olney, which is a deathclaw hive. Other than that I rarely ran into them outside of the wounded one by the kmart knockoff place.

however, when I was almost done with the game it was them in the yao guai, but i was lvl 30 with Fawkes as my follower.
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited December 2009
    I've run into one Deathclaw so far. The Yao Guai anger me much more, but the Radscorpions are the worst. They WILL NOT go down and it wastes ammo.
    edited December 2009
    Bub;3378887 said:
    Oh I've played Fallout 3 before. I have my save file from when I rented it awhile back. But yeah I'll be sure to do that. It's just nice to know I can do any of the add-ons without worrying that I can't go back and do things in the main game. Wait, after I finish a add-on like Point Lookout I return to D.C. right?
    Yep. At first it cost caps to travel to and fro but it'll open up for free eventually.
  • nbalive2005nbalive2005 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Am i the only one who was sorely disappointed with the game? I like shooters and i love RPG's with a good story.

While i think the story could be good, i am just bogged down with the gameplay. The VATS just didnt click for me. I didnt like the way it slowed down the game and the shooting mechanic as a whole just seems 'cheap'. I'll admit though, i didnt get that far. I just couldnt pursue the game though, because it (seemed) so slow and unrewarding. I also hated the fact that i had to switch weapons constantly. The RPG aspect also seemed off.

I just returned to Arefu, just met with the clan of vampire wanna-bees... Is it worth pursuing? Will the game get better?
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited December 2009
    The game's little quirks make it great.
  • Sarge51Sarge51 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    nbalive2005;3379711 said:
    Am i the only one who was sorely disappointed with the game? I like shooters and i love RPG's with a good story.

While i think the story could be good, i am just bogged down with the gameplay. The VATS just didnt click for me. I didnt like the way it slowed down the game and the shooting mechanic as a whole just seems 'cheap'. I'll admit though, i didnt get that far. I just couldnt pursue the game though, because it (seemed) so slow and unrewarding. I also hated the fact that i had to switch weapons constantly. The RPG aspect also seemed off.

I just returned to Arefu, just met with the clan of vampire wanna-bees... Is it worth pursuing? Will the game get better?
    I used to hate it for a lot of those reasons. VATS slowing down the game was annoying. Eventually I just switched to the Xbox360 version and it stopped being lag-tastic so easily. I do miss some of the mods on the PC, though. Being able to shoot your own Megaton bomb is bliss.

It gets better, especially if you get some expansions. (Point Lookout and Broken Steel, mostly.)
  • DarkEternal37DarkEternal37 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    If the game is glitching out for you on PS3 you can actually make it a lot better. Delete the game data utility Fallout 3 file (NOT THE SAVE DATA. THAT WILL NUKE YOUR FILE.). If you play for a long time, it slowly builds up size and makes the game run choppy. Deleting it will cause some initial longer load times but will make the game MUCH more stable. I just did this a few days ago because I had trouble starting up Mothership Zeta (which is awful by the way) and it made it work for me.