Swearing and censoring..

GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
edited July 2012 in The Rock Band Network
Hey, I was wondering is there an official list of words that must be censored for vocals because as slang grows very wide there are many variations of swear words that some may think is offensive, but others may have no problem with. Like for example the word "fudge" (you know what I mean) is NOT allowed, but what about the word freak or freaking used in that context?

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2009
    The public-facing "Offensive Content" page in the Creator's docs isn't up right now, but it does exist. When the Beta goes public, you'll be able to see the documentation that HMX has written up on this subject.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited December 2009
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    The general rule of thumb is whatever you hear on the radio is okay, though words like "b*tch" and "goddamn" sometimes get censored depending on context and frequency of use.
    edited December 2009
    What if I have Sirius radio????
  • JBurtonJBurton Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Public Radio. Like AM and FM...
    edited December 2009
    Alright, because I sometimes hear words such as the ones mentioned above allowed through like they're okay, but sometimes I hear ones that aren't swear words censored like freaking and crap, a lot of times it depends on the station.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Considering how often "freaking" and "crap" turn up on Homestar Runner cartoons, I think you can get away with those words in a T-rated game.
  • drag_racerdrag_racer Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Cliphead;3387430 said:
    The general rule of thumb is whatever you hear on the radio is okay, though words like "b*tch" and "goddamn" sometimes get censored depending on context and frequency of use.
    AiC - Man in the Box isn't censored on the local radio station, but it is censored in Rock Band
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited January 2010
    drag_racer;3400433 said:
    AiC - Man in the Box isn't censored on the local radio station, but it is censored in Rock Band
    Depends on your radio station. Some radio stations play the same censored version of Man in the Box that appeared in RB2, some play the original.
  • BStu78BStu78 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    drag_racer;3400433 said:
    Any radio station ACTUALLY playing "Man in the Box" uncensored between 6am and 10pm is exposing itself to a lot of risk with fines for the content. Now, you might have heard it late at night or you just thought you heard it play uncensored. After all, being a band-edited version, its more seamless than most radio edits. But the simple fact is that no radio station could get away with playing "Man in the Box" during daytime hours without risk of a significant fine. If no one complains, they get away with it, but that's a HUGE risk to take for so little reason.
  • hippodragon9hippodragon9 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    As a rule of thumb, just censor everything above s***. Whether or not god**** is a curse is probably up to you- once or twice a song is probably good.
  • JStryker47JStryker47 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I'm wondering why "god****" is considered a swear word, when "damn" alone- which is on the vocal track in Flirtin' With Disaster- seems perfectly fine. How does adding the word "god" to it make the word a swear?
  • CrazyFoxyFoxCrazyFoxyFox Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    JStryker47;3400827 said:
    I'm wondering why "god****" is considered a swear word, when "damn" alone- which is on the vocal track in Flirtin' With Disaster- seems perfectly fine. How does adding the word "god" to it make the word a swear?
    It's sensitive to certain people and their religion. We live in a politically correct society, therefore it is censored.
  • Phategod1Phategod1 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3387941 said:
    What if I have Sirius radio????
    Radio governed by the FCC.
  • White_PawZWhite_PawZ Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    What's amazing is that some of the most epic bands (Led Zeppelin, Rush, The Who, Boston, Queen, ZZ Top, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd, YES, Tom Petty, Elton John, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix...) don't need constant swear words.

I'm not really against vulgarity and swearing, to be honest, but constant vulgarity and great music are usually mutually exclusive.
  • WarpSpawnWarpSpawn Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Papa Roach- Last Resort: Only censors out the word "f***", but on the video, it censors the words "suicide", "bleeding" and a couple of others. Who were they trying to protect censoring out moreorless most of the words?
  • Young BloodlustYoung Bloodlust Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    BStu78;3400718 said:
    Any radio station ACTUALLY playing "Man in the Box" uncensored between 6am and 10pm is exposing itself to a lot of risk with fines for the content. Now, you might have heard it late at night or you just thought you heard it play uncensored. After all, being a band-edited version, its more seamless than most radio edits. But the simple fact is that no radio station could get away with playing "Man in the Box" during daytime hours without risk of a significant fine. If no one complains, they get away with it, but that's a HUGE risk to take for so little reason.
    My local rock station, 95.1 WZZO, plays songs between 6 am and 10 pm that don't have the word "s***" censored and it's been like that for as long as I can remember.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    drag_racer;3400433 said:
    It should be censored on your local radio station according to the fcc. You can't say the s world on the radio especially not in recorded audio otherwise the station could get fined.

Edit: I guess this has been covered already.
  • electric3moonelectric3moon Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    Is there any way to get an "unedited" version of songs in the future? For those of us who aren't minors or offended? Green Day just isn't the same w/o them. ;)
  • Andyx1337Andyx1337 Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    electric3moon;3794500 said:
    Is there any way to get an "unedited" version of songs in the future? For those of us who aren't minors or offended? Green Day just isn't the same w/o them. ;)
    Nope. Harmonix is playing it safe and not risking the 'Family Game' genre.
  • bwschulzebwschulze Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    I remember years ago I was in my car with a friend in the middle of the afternoon and the rock station we had on played "Killing In the Name" and didn't censor a thing. Yeah, not even THAT part. We were rather confused and I'm sure somebody got into a bit of trouble for that.
  • Nathaniel607Nathaniel607 Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    bwschulze;3794851 said:
    I remember years ago I was in my car with a friend in the middle of the afternoon and the rock station we had on played "Killing In the Name" and didn't censor a thing. Yeah, not even THAT part. We were rather confused and I'm sure somebody got into a bit of trouble for that.
    Lol, are you sure they didn't just change it to "Truck you I won't do what you tell me" all Tenacious D style?
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited June 2010
    Censoring on radio is a fairly recent thing. I'd say it's only been in the past 20 years or so that it's actually become an issue. Not too surprisingly, that's also the time period when R-rated language in music went mainstream, thanks to genres like alternative rock and gangsta rap that seek to be "edgy" with their lyrics.

Back in the '80s, you had John Cougar Mellencamp's "Play Guitar," with the lines, "Forget all about that macho s*** / And learn how to play guitar." Then there was the Who's "Who Are You," the original version of which throws in "Who the f*** are you?" a couple of times. None of that would get censored.

But when Trent Reznor starts telling us over and over and over how he wants to f*** us like animals, it becomes a cause for concern.
  • bwschulzebwschulze Rising Star
    edited June 2010
    Nathaniel607;3795123 said:
    Lol, are you sure they didn't just change it to "Truck you I won't do what you tell me" all Tenacious D style?
    Nope. They played that part how it was recorded with no bleeps.
  • mokmoofmokmoof Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    Andyx1337;3794801 said:
    Nope. Harmonix is playing it safe and not risking the 'Family Game' genre.
    I understand their position, but I think it's really unfortunate.

The FCC's basic premise is that, in a medium such as broadcast television or FM radio, you never know when children might be watching or listening--so it's best to assume that, most of the time, they are.

That kind of thinking has no place in a medium such as a video game, wherein any and all objectionable content can be password protected. Your PS3 is not a radio, so there's no reason to treat Rock Band 2 like a radio program. Denying adults the opportunity to play the game with the songs' real lyrics is silly, infantilizing, frustrating, and (for lack of a better word) lame.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    I prefer bleeping over blanking(it sounds funny!) and I wish that bleeping would be the censorship style
  • wafflerevolutionwafflerevolution Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    I'm sorry, what Radio stations do you listen to? I hear "*****" "whore" "hell" and all sorts of other words that Rock Band removes from MOST but not all songs... that bugs the heck out of me though... why some songs can use the words other songs can't. that hardly seems fair... game rated "teen" is apparently more censored than an unrated radio... but what do you expect from something like the ridiculous ESRB? we SHOULD just be using the same ratings as movies...or go back to using no ratings at all... but we can all thank tipper gore and mortal kombat for the ESRB...
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited September 2010
    wafflerevolution;4040752 said:
    I'm sorry, what Radio stations do you listen to? I hear "*****" "whore" "hell" and all sorts of other words that Rock Band removes from MOST but not all songs...
    I don't think there's a single song that censors "hell". It even appears on a couple of disc songs in LEGO Rock Band. I think only one song ("Welcome Home") censors "whore" because the radio edit they used also replaces the f-bomb that they HAVE to censor regardless of context.

(if anything, the ESRB paved the way for MORE mature content to be released, at least without any controversy)
  • citizenCEROcitizenCERO Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    White_PawZ;3415640 said:
    What's amazing is that some of the most epic bands (Led Zeppelin, Rush, The Who, Boston, Queen, ZZ Top, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd, YES, Tom Petty, Elton John, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix...) don't need constant swear words.

I'm not really against vulgarity and swearing, to be honest, but constant vulgarity and great music are usually mutually exclusive.
    NIN would like a word with you...
    0/10 opinion anyway
  • tim107tim107 Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    The only editing that ever bothered me was El Scorcho by Weezer and This Ain't a Scene by Fall Out Boy

The first line in El Scorcho is "God damn you half Japanese girls" and is left unedited as it should be, but in This Aint a Scene they edit the chorus which is "This ain't a scene its a god damn arms race" so why is it okay for one song and not for another