What ever gave people the idea...

Thrasher9294Thrasher9294 Opening Act
edited December 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
...that The Beatles: Rock Band should have been exportable? Seriously, I can't stand how people are complaining about how it's not exportable, and how that affected Review Scores.

Let's take a simple look at this - imagine if The Beatles: Rock Band just happened to be exportable to Rock Band 2.

I'm not trying to sound like some Beatlemaniac lover who thinks that they're far superior to every other band in history, but in all honesty, it'd be a disgrace. It shouldn't be that "The Harmonies" and "The Dreamscapes" are the only thing that prevented it. It's simply the fact that it's The Beatles. We'd lose the Story Mode, we'd lose all of the photos, videos, etc.

The Beatles: Rock Band should be an experience all it's own. And that's how it should be. That's how I've felt, and I'm sure that's how Paul, Yoko (ick), and Harmonix felt.

I can't imagine how detrimental it would have been to have The Beatles songs appearing in Rock Band 2 anyways. It just wouldn't feel or look right between the two titles.

I don't see why anyone felt that it should have been.

Comments

• CaptainKickerCaptainKicker Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I agree. The Beatles songs should not appear in any other music game, like Guitar Hero or Rock Band 2. I would be sad too see a Beatles song in any other game, because Beatles are so huge and awesome, that they deserve, only their own game.
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    It'd be hard seeing a custom emo rocker playing epic Beatles songs.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    I think people are more concerned with inflating their Rock Band 2 library than the actual music, and fail to understand the licensing miracle work required to get the music in just ONE game.
  • mason95mason95 Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    What if it were the other way around? Rock Band songs being exported into the Beatles.

Ugh that's even stupid to think about. Imagine John singing Cannibal Corpse.
  • xXZeroOverrideXxxXZeroOverrideXx Rising Star
    edited December 2009
    Thrasher9294;3383137 said:

The Beatles: Rock Band should be an experience all it's own. And that's how it should be. That's how I've felt, and I'm sure that's how Paul, Yoko (ick), and Harmonix felt.
    No Ringo? :(
  • the_tedthe_ted Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    now see, i can't for the life of me fathom why the OPTION to export songs would offend anybody. seeing an animated emo rocker mouth beatles songs will not denigrate the beatles' musical legacy--certainly not any more than a lifetime of crappy covers, misguided characterizations, and bastardized commercialization. strip it all away and the music stands by itself, and Rock Band at its best is a platform for great music.

exporting to Rock Band 2 wouldn't make sense because it would strip the crucial component of harmonies. But if I want to play songs from my all-time favorite band when Rock Band 3 comes out, i hope a bunch of god-holy whiners won't stop me. the idea that expecting this now-common feature makes me guilty of some sacrilege misses the point of these games entirely: it's about sharing and listening intelligently to great music.
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited December 2009
    Before I played the game, I was a little upset that it didn't export. But then I played the game. Now I'm happy that it didn't export.
  • SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    the_ted;3383290 said:
    now see, i can't for the life of me fathom why the OPTION to export songs would offend anybody. seeing an animated emo rocker mouth beatles songs will not denigrate the beatles' musical legacy--certainly not any more than a lifetime of crappy covers, misguided characterizations, and bastardized commercialization. strip it all away and the music stands by itself, and Rock Band at its best is a platform for great music.

exporting to Rock Band 2 wouldn't make sense because it would strip the crucial component of harmonies. But if I want to play songs from my all-time favorite band when Rock Band 3 comes out, i hope a bunch of god-holy whiners won't stop me. the idea that expecting this now-common feature makes me guilty of some sacrilege misses the point of these games entirely: it's about sharing and listening intelligently to great music.
    Having an animated emo rocker mouth off to beatles is just adding fuel to fire - your right with what you said but doing this only insults the beatles' legacy even more. Sure - dozens of people cover and misconceive the beatles constantly, but unfortunately Apple Records won't sue every single person that covers a beatles' song. "It's about sharing and listening intelligently to great music." And respecting the Artist's work, and the beatles has a god-like amount of work and effort, along with a mind-blowing legacy and gigantic influence.
  • Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    While I would have loved for The Beatles' music to be exportable to RB2, I certainly didn't expect it. I thought it was naive of people to expect that it would happen. The Beatles and Apple Corps are very protective of the licensing and the music, and I figured it was unlikely they would allow export. Certainly, they've earned the right to do what they wanted to with their music. No amount of "But I want it in my game!" entitlement can trounce the artist's right to do things their own way.

If they were Poison, nobody loses any sleep, HMX moves on to the next band. The Beatles are a special case and they had the ability to control how the music would be worked into the game and franchise. If it was up to HMX, I'm sure they would have loved to have made the music exportable. As it turns out, if they wanted The Beatles, they would have to get them without exporting. Nobody should have expected anything different.
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    I'm glad it's not exportable. Anyway, thankfully, people don't complain too much about it, and understand why it is not. Only one person still seems to complain about though.
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    The Beatles need respecting as artists. Imagine all the flamers and /b/ posters that would of flooded these forums if the tracks were exportable.

Activision made a BIG MISTAKE letting you play a Paramore track with Kurt Cobain or a Metallica track with Jimi Hendrix.

I would hate to see John Lennon do Hammer Smashed Face or Ringo Starr perform Painkiller.
  • the_tedthe_ted Unsigned
    edited December 2009
    Dragonheart1991;3383568 said:
    Activision made a BIG MISTAKE letting you play a Paramore track with Kurt Cobain or a Metallica track with Jimi Hendrix.

I would hate to see John Lennon do Hammer Smashed Face or Ringo Starr perform Painkiller.

right, and absolutely nobody i've come across on the internet or in physical life has advocated that ever. nobody wants the ability to import to beatles rock band, but the ability to export from it. this is a HUGE distinction, and i feel like a lot of people are confusing the poor taste of using kobain's image with the respectful use of a band's music.

i've yet to hear any justification as to why including beatles songs in canon rock band games would be disrespectful, nor have i seen any factual evidence one way or the other as to whether it was licensing or technical reasons that prevent export. I agree entirely that the beatles have the right to use their music however they wish, but i feel like their exclusivity can sometimes harm their legacy more than help it: the beatles are too special for itunes, too, and that's only keeping them from reaching a wider audience. i love their music more than life, but that doesn't mean i need to adopt some kind of stockholm-syndrome love of their misguided limitations.
  • LeoModestoLeoModesto Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    Wouldn't you have to buy both games anyway?
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    Personally, after playing the game, I'm glad it didn't export. Exporting would be so tempting (to be able to have them with all my other songs in RB2), but at the same time, this game is a work of art. The dreamscapes, live venues and the animations of the Beatles themselves are true beauty and is half the experience.

The overall feel of the game is very different from RB2 and it's what makes the game so enjoyable. I am more than happy to swap disks to play The Beatles because this game is one of the best ever released in terms of artistic value and the content itself.

It just wouldn't be the same playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps on RB2 with my avatars.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited December 2009
    I really dont see the difference. I dont look at the band animations. I look at the chart and listen to the music. It could be black in the backround for all I care.

I would love for it to be exportable. But its not. Whatever.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited December 2009
    Thrasher9294;3383137 said:
    ...that The Beatles: Rock Band should have been exportable?
    It would be nice if The Beatles songs were compatible. But since the band wasn't willing to allow that with this project, we all just have to accept it and move on.

There's no such thing as a band that "deserves" to have a game that doesn't export, but if that's the only way the band is willing to play ball then it's up to the game makers to decide if the investment on a standalone game is worth it to bring that band's music to the people.
  • PCTraitorPCTraitor Road Warrior
    edited December 2009
    You are right that every review I read knocked off at least 5% for no exportability and then they didn't do the same with GH Metallica.

It is sort of like having 2 kids one kid that always gets straight As and one that normally gets C's. When the straight A kid gets a B it's an issue and then the one that get's C's gets a D and you say "well at least he still passed"
  • Thrasher9294Thrasher9294 Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    It's the same reason that they removed Drum Fills, Whammy Noises, and the Failed Song portions of the game - "to preserve The Beatles' music". And that's how it should be.
  • edited December 2009
    Uhh, they complained when the game was first release, and when it was announced...

But not anymore.

This thread was random. :P
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited December 2009
    PCTraitor;3386107 said:
    You are right that every review I read knocked off at least 5% for no exportability and then they didn't do the same with GH Metallica.
    With Rock Band, the exportation feature is a HUGE element within the franchise, something that up until recently (and still in some regards) hasn't been realized in Guitar Hero.

So for them, not supporting that feature felt like a step back for Rock Band.

For GH Metallica, it was business as usual.
  • BlurbiaBlurbia Opening Act
    edited December 2009
    T-Hybrid;3389177 said:
    With Rock Band, the exportation feature is a HUGE element within the franchise, something that up until recently (and still in some regards) hasn't been realized in Guitar Hero.

So for them, not supporting that feature felt like a step back for Rock Band.

For GH Metallica, it was business as usual.
    It is unfortunate when reviewers base part, sometimes a large part, of their review of a new game on an older game.