REAPER Guitar and Drum support?

NSIYusukeNSIYusuke Opening Act
edited January 2010 in The Rock Band Network
So I was looking through the REAPER file folders, and found a few MIDI Joystick control methods, "Generic", "Rockband_drums", "Rockband_Guitar", "Rockband_Guitar_Easy_Ps3" and "Rockband_Guitar_Play_360". All of them are .txt files, and can be loaded in REAPER's MIDI Input controls. But all I've found out how to do with these, are to make some blippy noises, and that's all. The text files document how to select difficulties by holding down select and pressing buttons, etc.

TL;DR: What's the purpose of these? Just to have some fun little extras to play with? Or are you planning/already able to do on-the-fly note-authoring with the instruments...?

(Also, wouldn't it be totally awesome if somehow, someway, we could play the parts in the preview window, without using audition mode? xD I originally got excited when I saw these text files for that exact reason, but then quickly looked at it realistically; no way you could fit the game engine into a filesize THAT small. Plus then they'd be distributing RB for free, with REAPER.)

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited December 2009
    Supposedly there is (or will be) a way to create your MIDI notes in real-time using the RB instruments, though I have no idea how to set that up. It's probably not worth it, though, as you'd be spending just as much time tweaking the notes you played as you would just creating them in the MIDI editor.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited December 2009
    NSIYusuke;3391155 said:
    TL;DR: What's the purpose of these? Just to have some fun little extras to play with? Or are you planning/already able to do on-the-fly note-authoring with the instruments...?
    They have mentioned on the Creators forum that sometime in the future, if not already now, you will be able to use your RB peripherals to do real-time note chart authoring. As trg mentioned, I can see that as being more trouble than it is worth, particularly for guitar/bass. But for drums, if you've got the original drummer sitting there ready to record a MIDI track on the RB drums for you, I can see that being a huge plus.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2009
    hmmm, i wonder how much it would benefit track authors if they could receive the original midi data used for drum tracks...

i planned on sending mine out just in case anyhow (they average out to be less than 20kb so hey), but this may make things even easier on them and result in more accurate charts.
  • igotpunked92igotpunked92 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    REAPER does support the ability is you have a guitar/drums with a usb. It requires a lot of RAM and a fast CPU though.
  • mbnasir6mbnasir6 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Imagine making any Devil Tiered song on an RB1 set! That must be impossible.