What RB2 songs would and wouldn't pass the family-friendly filter?

SpeedyShortSpeedyShort Opening Act
edited May 2010 in LEGO: Rock Band
I know we probably won't get the opportunity to play Rock Band 2 songs in Lego Rock Band, but oh well, I thought this would be good to see what the people think.

For a start, I don't think any of the Impossible Band tier songs would pass the filter. I've also posted why I think it won't pass or lyrics that means it wouldn't pass. The lyrics are in quotations.

Almost Easy-"I left you bound and tied with suicidal memories" possibly may stop it here.
Ramblin' Man-"My father was a gambler down in Georgia, well he wound up on the wrong end of a gun"
Get Clean- I think (although I may be wrong) that the theme of this wouldn't pass. I believe it's about working in concentration camps and the suffering from it? I'm sure I read that somewhere, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Colony of Birchmen- A variety of lyrics here, but they're not really too harsh. Still don't think it would pass.
Peace Sells- "What do you mean I don't believe in God? Talk to him everyday" May offend the anti-religious...
Souls of Black- Talks about corruption in the government I think and of course you can't teach your kids that
Bodhisattva- A bodhisattva is to do with the Muslim religion, although this is ust clutching at straws, as it doesn't really mention anything like that in the song
Shoulder to the Plow- About torture. That's all I need to say really.
Battery- Battery is used here as reference to assault so that's no good.
Visions- A multitude of lyrics offends here, particulary "Pause and reflect, with the blade at your wrist"
Panic Attack- General idea of the song is about suffering, like a panic attack (hence the song title)
Painkiller- "Faster than a laser bullet, louder than an atom bomb" Can you teach kids about near apocolyptic items?

Feel free to post what you think would and wouldn't pass and if you think I'm wrong, please mention where I'm wrong.

Comments

• BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited December 2009
    My opinions on your reasons:

Almost Easy- I agree, that line would keep it out of the game

Ramblin' Man- I think it would pass the filter. That one line isn't bad and definitely not enough to keep it out of the game, and it's generally a pretty upbeat song.

Get Clean- Definitely can't see this passing the filter at all.

Colony Of Birchmen- The only reason I can think of for this not to pass is that the general sound might scare the little kids.

Peace Sells- I don't think this would pass, but not because of that reason(the game is aimed at kids, not atheists). There's probably some other lyrics that would keep it out, but I don't know the song so I can't think of any.

Souls of Black- Same as Peace Sells

Bodhisattva- The line "The sparkle of your 'gina" would be enough of a reason for it not to pass.

The next 4 songs seem to have pretty good reasons.

Painkiller- The song in general is about destruction. Definitely not family friendly.
  • whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited December 2009
    BallisticJunkfood;3392429 said:
    Bodhisattva- The line "The sparkle of your 'gina" would be enough of a reason for it not to pass.
    That'd be true if it weren't for the fact that the line is "sparkle of your china".
  • JRDBlackDragonJRDBlackDragon Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette would not pass the filter
  • XacharyCrossXacharyCross Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I can't recall offhand anything that'd get these blocked, granted, the filter has proven odd in the past, and a couple I don't know all the words by heart.

"Alabama Getaway"
    "American Woman"
    "Any Way You Want It"
    "Bodhisattva"
    "Carry On Wayward Son"
    "E-Pro"
    "Everlong"
    "Eye of the Tiger"
    "Float On"
    "Girl's Not Grey"
    "Hello There"
    "Kids in America"
    "Let There Be Rock"
    "Livin' on a Prayer"
    "Mountain Song"
    "Nine in the Afternoon"
    "Pinball Wizard"
    "Pump It Up"
    "Rock'n Me"
    "Teen Age Riot"
    "That's What You Get"
    "The Middle"
    "The Trees" (Vault Edition)
    "Today"
    "We Got the Beat"
    "Where'd You Go?"
  • aznman08aznman08 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    you are aware that the music listing on the website is updated with ratings for RB2 songs right? http://www.rockband.com/music/songs
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    "Family Friendly" means "You can play it in Lego Rock Band." Notice how every single one is labled "SR"?
  • sandswipesandswipe Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    aznman08;3393462 said:
    you are aware that the music listing on the website is updated with ratings for RB2 songs right? http://www.rockband.com/music/songs
    Every single on-disc song is listed as supervision required. While I do see questionable stuff on a lot of those songs, I think every single one being too adult-themed for lego rock band is sort of far-fetched. Kids in America? Really?
  • SpeedyShortSpeedyShort Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    aznman08;3393462 said:
    Ah, that's something I didn't check... But I still think it would be strange that every song would require supervision. I mean, I fail to see how something like Pinball Wizard would offend. Is it wrong to say that this deaf, dumb and blind kid is good at pinball?
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    XacharyCross;3393428 said:
    I can't recall offhand anything that'd get these blocked, granted, the filter has proven odd in the past, and a couple I don't know all the words by heart.

"Alabama Getaway"
    "American Woman"
    "Any Way You Want It"
    "Bodhisattva"
    "Carry On Wayward Son"
    "E-Pro"
    "Everlong"
    "Eye of the Tiger"
    "Float On"
    "Girl's Not Grey"
    "Hello There"
    "Kids in America"
    "Let There Be Rock"
    "Livin' on a Prayer"
    "Mountain Song"
    "Nine in the Afternoon"
    "Pinball Wizard"
    "Pump It Up"
    "Rock'n Me"
    "Teen Age Riot"
    "That's What You Get"
    "The Middle"
    "The Trees" (Vault Edition)
    "Today"
    "We Got the Beat"
    "Where'd You Go?"
    Teen Age Riot mentions cooze.
    Today talks about tearing your eyes out.
    And Where'd You Go? mentions beer.
    The rest sound okay.
  • whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Uhhh, "Alabama Getaway" is kinda sorta talks about hanging a fugitive ladies-man vigilante-style. Not exactly "Family Friendly".
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    But Alabama Getaway's lyrics would probably go over kid's heads, and it's an upbeat sounding song. I'm pretty sure it would make it.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited January 2010
    sandswipe;3393477 said:
    Every single on-disc song is listed as supervision required. While I do see questionable stuff on a lot of those songs, I think every single one being too adult-themed for lego rock band is sort of far-fetched. Kids in America? Really?
    Im trying to figure out what would be wrong with Kids in America. Seems just fine for LRB.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    sandswipe;3393477 said:
    The reason the 84 songs are marked as "Supervision Required" is because Rock Band 2 does not export at this time.

So even if certain songs were family friendly, you wouldn't be able to open those songs up to play with your kids without also opening them up to all of the songs that aren't family friendly.

Once RB2 gets closer to it's hopefully inevitable exportation, HMX will assign more specific ratings at that time.

I believe similiar issues are impacting some of the family friendly songs in the Country Track Pack.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    The RB2 songs that will probably eventually be okayed for LEGO:

A Jagged Gorgeous Winter
    Carry On Wayward Son
    E-Pro
    Everlong
    Eye of the Tiger
    Feel the Pain
    Float On
    Girl's Not Grey
    Give It All
    Go Your Own Way
    Hello There
    Kids in America
    Let There Be Rock
    Livin' On A Prayer
    Lump (maybe)
    Mountain Song
    Nine in the Afternoon
    Our Truth
    Pinball Wizard (maybe)
    Pump It Up
    Rock'n Me
    Spirit In the Sky
    Spoonman
    That's What You Get
    The Middle (maybe)
    We Got The Beat
  • madisondawgmadisondawg Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    I just thought it was interesting that the song from pink "say what" is on the on disk lego game talking about someone is about to die
  • mebolingmeboling Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    i think all of the METAL songs should be opted out as thay tend to frighen my little brother who is 5 ,and why hasnt any one mentioned "dwn with the sickness"?!!?!?!!
  • XacharyCrossXacharyCross Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I think the default is "Supervision Required" in the music section, it has to be toggled over to FF, which won't be done until such time as the songs are exportable, and thereby examined and cleared.
    edited January 2010
    meboling;3396840 said:
    i think all of the METAL songs should be opted out as thay tend to frighen my little brother who is 5 ,and why hasnt any one mentioned "dwn with the sickness"?!!?!?!!
    It's probably not even necessary to mention it :p It's been edited enough as it is and, in the end, it still has that part with the abuse, albeit with censored words. Basically, it has absolutely no chance of passing :p
    edited January 2010
    Sorry for the double post, but while I'm here, I'm going to evaluate the nightmare band tier songs. Just because I can.

Little key: :D means it passes, :( means it doesn't.

:D Let There Be Rock- Don't see anything wrong with this one, no questionable lyrics or theme.
    :D The Trees- Unless it's not family friendly for trees to be arguing, I don't see how this wouldn't pass.
    :( Aqualung- Not sure if kids are allowed to say "You poor old sod" If they are, then I reckon this could pass, if the theme of a homeless man passes.
    :( Down with the Sickness- I don't think it would even be necessary for me to explain why this wouldn't pass...
    :( Chop Suey- "I don't think you trust in my self righteous suicide" and other lines stop it here.
    :D Everlong- Don't see any problems, quite an optimistic song as well in my view.
    :( Master Exploder- I know they edited out the cursing, but it would be way too easy to interpret.
    :( Give It All- Might be a bit harsh here, but I'm not too sure if you're allowed to mention stuff about a sacrifice and living for your dying wish.
    :D Carry On Wayward Son- Kids won't have a clue what the lyrics are about, but that doesn't matter, it won't offend
    :( Rob the Prez-O-Dent- Like it says in the title, it tlaks about robbing the president and other things so that doesn't pass
    :D Spoonman- The hardest band song that would pass according to what I've been putting down. Don't see much wrong.
    :( Ace of Spades- Theme is gambling. No need to say any more.

Again, if I've gone wrong somewhere, just say.
    edited January 2010
    SpeedyShort;3397121 said:
    :( Aqualung- Not sure if kids are allowed to say "You poor old sod" If they are, then I reckon this could pass, if the theme of a homeless man passes.
    Homeless man watching the pretty pennies run and eyeing little girls with bad intent = snowball's chance in hell of making it to LEGO. Child molester =/= family friendly
  • AaronInWAAaronInWA Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    So what's the point of this post? I'm genuinely curious by the way...haha...not trying to be a smart azz.
    Is this kind of just for fun, or are we trying to get to the bottom of something here?
    edited January 2010
    AaronInWA;3397445 said:
    So what's the point of this post? I'm genuinely curious by the way...haha...not trying to be a smart azz.
    Is this kind of just for fun, or are we trying to get to the bottom of something here?
    The songs on the RB2 disc haven't been officially reviewed/filtered for export to LEGO RB yet. Although we're *assuming* it's going to happen. We're just speculating about which RB2 disc songs you think will pass the LEGO "family friendly" filter test.
    edited January 2010
    cherokeesam;3397431 said:
    Homeless man watching the pretty pennies run and eyeing little girls with bad intent = snowball's chance in hell of making it to LEGO. Child molester =/= family friendly
    Oh yeah, forgot about that part :p
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    hiimSMAP;3394226 said:
    Teen Age Riot mentions cooze.
    Today talks about tearing your eyes out.
    And Where'd You Go? mentions beer.
    The rest sound okay.
    Not to mention the title of the song itself lmao.
  • HappyPantsHappyPants Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    cherokeesam;3395230 said:
    The RB2 songs that will probably eventually be okayed for LEGO:

A Jagged Gorgeous Winter
    Carry On Wayward Son
    E-Pro
    Everlong
    Eye of the Tiger
    Feel the Pain
    Float On
    Girl's Not Grey
    Give It All
    Go Your Own Way
    Hello There
    Kids in America
    Let There Be Rock
    Livin' On A Prayer
    Lump (maybe)
    Mountain Song
    Nine in the Afternoon
    Our Truth
    Pinball Wizard (maybe)
    Pump It Up
    Rock'n Me
    Spirit In the Sky
    Spoonman
    That's What You Get
    The Middle (maybe)
    We Got The Beat
    Dunno if any of these would be enough to kill FF, but possible:

Feel the Pain: “Screwed us both/yet again”
    Go Your Own Way: “Shacking up is all you wanna do”
    Lump: “She spent her twenties between the sheets”
    Pump It Up: “She’s like a narcotic” and “You wanna torture her”
    Spoonman: “Come on while I get off”
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited January 2010
    These are the only ones that would pass the filter I think...
    AC/DC - "Let There Be Rock"
    The Allman Brothers - "Ramblin' Man"
    Bon Jovi - "Livin' On A Prayer"
    Cheap Trick - "Hello There"
    Fleetwood Mac - "Go Your Own Way"
    Foo Fighters - "Everlong"
    The Go-Go's - "We Got The Beat"
    Jimmy Eat World - "The Middle"
    Kansas - "Carry On Wayward Son"
    Lush - "De-Luxe"
    Modest Mouse - "Float On"
    Norman Greenbaum - "Spirit In The Sky"
    Panic At The Disco - "Nine In The Afternoon"
    Paramore - "That's What You Get"
    Rush - "The Trees (Vault Edition)"
    Silversun Pickups - "Lazy Eye"
    Steely Dan - "Bodhisattva"
    Survivor - "Eye Of the Tiger"
    The Who - "Pinball Wizard"
  • leob5622leob5622 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Every song with blanked lyrics 'You Oughta Know', 'Down With the Sickness', 'The Metal' and the like, would definately not make it. Songs like 'Aqualung', 'Visions' and 'Chop Suey', wouldn't make it, because of their content, as well. You have to remember this game is intended for tweens. So, songs with hidden meanings, may pass the filter, because a 10 year old will not understand it. Supervision can be recommended for such songs as 'Go Your Own Way'. This way, parents, can offer support to their children, if questions arise about the lyrics.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    "Master Exploder" might pass, since more obviously blanked-out cuss words have gone through.

"Ramblin' Man" might get blocked for repeated use of "Lord," but I notice southern rock songs tend to get away with that more often.

"De-Luxe" will probably get blocked because it's apparently about doing it in the park.

"Bodhisattva" is a Buddhist concept, and Harmonix sometimes takes a Nintendo level of paranoia when it comes to religious references.
    edited January 2010
    kingtonyx;3411116 said:
    These are the only ones that would pass the filter I think...
    "Let There Be Rock" will make it through, I'm 100% sure.
    "Let There Be Rock (Live)" did. :p
  • ant423ant423 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I think "Bodhisattva" and "Ramblin' Man" have a good chance of making it through.

"Painkiller" would not make it through for the sole reason that it sounds "scary" (ie. screeching vocals and heavy guitar), regardless of the lyrics. Same with "Visions" and "Shoulder to the Plow."

"PDA" wouldn't make it in because it's about date rape.