Harmonix said that they've released 98% of the tools to author to the public...

XenochriaXenochria Opening Act
edited January 2010 in The Rock Band Network
So what do you think they haven't let us change? I think that the whole "this particular stand in pops up when you play a song by this artist a lot of the time" thing is one of them, such as the spiky haired guy for Jane's Addiction songs, and the guy with the moustache for Queen songs. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Comments

• RobbySuaveRobbySuave Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Stage Kit fog machine control.
  • XenochriaXenochria Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    The Fog On and Fog Off commands are in the guidelines for authoring though.
  • CharronCharron Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Xenochria;3396465 said:
    So what do you think they haven't let us change? I think that the whole "this particular stand in pops up when you play a song by this artist a lot of the time" thing is one of them, such as the spiky haired guy for Jane's Addiction songs, and the guy with the moustache for Queen songs. Anyone else have any other ideas?
    I know from other discussion that you can't name the practice sections. You have to go with the auto-generated ones.

I also believe you can't direct specific animation cuts, you can only pull from groups. Like, Sex Machine has a very specific vocalist animation at one phrase, but RBN songs can only pull from the vocalist_cam pool, which contains that animation and others.
  • MarsPhoenixMarsPhoenix Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    You can't set the HOPO Threshold in game to my knowledge. Practice sections are the big one.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I wasn't aware that they had said that. You have a source for that?
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    Xenochria;3396465 said:
    Harmonix has said there is no such setting, even in the songs they release. The pre-fab characters that appear when playing a song in quickplay are entirely random.

I would also like to see the quote for this "98% of the tools" statement from them. Chances are they might just be referring to the fact that the Creators site isn't open to the public yet.
    edited January 2010
    I think the 98% thing came from that first big article in Game Informer or Rolling Stone or whatever it was.

Edit: I found it on kotaku.com: http://kotaku.com/5346803/power-to-the-people-how-rock-band-network-expands-the-game-gets-any-song-online
    Epps said the song-coding tools that this service makes available are "98.75%" the same as what Harmonix used to code songs for Rock Band. Amatuers and the pros will be on a nearly level playing field. But he doesn't fear for his job, he said. "I think there's always going to be a market for premium content." He's coded many, many songs himself. "I think we're the best in the world at this," he said.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    trg007;3396991 said:
    Harmonix has said there is no such setting, even in the songs they release. The pre-fab characters that appear when playing a song in quickplay are entirely random.
    While I'm sure that's true for individual characters (I haven't seen Mr. Freddie-stache appear any more during Queen songs than any other songs), I think there are groups of characters that appear more often for certain genres, at least for punk and metal.
    edited January 2010
    I see. So Harmonix didn't say they release 98% of the tools at all. That makes the thread title very misleading. Bottom line, the 1.25% difference between the RBN tools and the tools that Harmonix uses is probably the part of the software that allows their song to be put on a game disc. Which means that Harmonix will never release more tools or extra features. We have everything they have except for the small bits that we will never have.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited January 2010
    Kariodude;3400191 said:
    I see. So Harmonix didn't say they release 98% of the tools at all. That makes the thread title very misleading. Bottom line, the 1.25% difference between the RBN tools and the tools that Harmonix uses is probably the part of the software that allows their song to be put on a game disc. Which means that Harmonix will never release more tools or extra features. We have everything they have except for the small bits that we will never have.
    And the small bits that allow you to use an RB peripheral to do the track authoring. That's coming at some point too ;)
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    Didn't they say they hadn't given something for vocals correction?
    edited January 2010
    Kariodude;3400191 said:
    Caleb Epps, a Harmonix employee, is the one that said we have 98.75% of the tools the developers have.
    GNFfhqwhgads;3400959 said:
    Didn't they say they hadn't given something for vocals correction?
    Yes. I remember reading that somewhere too. We can only use a dry vocal track, but Harmonix can somehow manually alter the lip syncing.
    edited January 2010
    blueblur3000;3401312 said:
    Caleb Epps, a Harmonix employee, is the one that said we have 98.75% of the tools the developers have.
    That's not what he said though. He said the RBN tools are 98.75% the same as the tools they use.
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Q: So where's the 2%?

A: In Dave Grohls house. Guarded by sharks with frickin' lasers attached to their frickin' heads.
    edited January 2010
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/27/impressions-rock-band-network-creation/
    There are a few things that Harmonix won't allow you to edit, though: lip syncing, which is rendered automatically, and access to the Rock Band fog peripheral. (Harmonix was concerned that creators would abuse this meta information by overwhelming the fog peripheral to activate every second, for example. Considering the limited use and availability of the peripheral, there was little insurance that the community would be able to properly test for abuse.)
    edited January 2010
    Am I the only one that got a really funny mental image when reading about the fog machine abuse potential?
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited January 2010
    trg007;3396991 said:
    Not entirely true. A large number of unnamed characters only show up with genre-specific songs. There's a girl with a cowboy hat that I had never seen before until I downloaded Time Bomb (Live), and then she started showing up more frequently as I played the Country Track Pack
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I was wondering where those were too.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    I'm guessing they disabled that on the assumption that not many people would have the means to record a couple dozen people singing their songs and edit it to sound like a crowd of thousands.
    edited January 2010
    I was under the impression that crowd singalongs were on the same track as background noises and non-playable instruments.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited January 2010
    Kariodude;3402533 said:
    I was under the impression that crowd singalongs were on the same track as background noises and non-playable instruments.
    If that were the case, the game would not be able to raise and lower the volume of the crowd singalongs to correspond with your Crowd Meter. ;)
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    HeyRiles;3401640 said:
    Not entirely true. A large number of unnamed characters only show up with genre-specific songs. There's a girl with a cowboy hat that I had never seen before until I downloaded Time Bomb (Live), and then she started showing up more frequently as I played the Country Track Pack
    Ah, beat me to it. I was gonna mention emo-boy and Fake Scott Ian myself.