American Girl is Bad?!

SgtRubberRevolverSgtRubberRevolver Road Warrior
edited January 2010 in LEGO: Rock Band
Why didn't American Girl by Tom Petty make it past the filter? It's a great song, and isn't suggestive or anything. So why is it not on LEGO Rock Band? Just wondering.

Comments

• General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    It's about a girl committing suicide if I remember correctly.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Filter is weird, nothing new here.
  • SgtRubberRevolverSgtRubberRevolver Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, even though it doesn't talk about suicide. Just attempted suicide.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited January 2010
    SgtRubberRevolver;3400610 said:
    Yeah, even though it doesn't talk about suicide. Just attempted suicide.
    Yeah cause that's SO much better :p
  • BStu78BStu78 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    The word "die" appears in the lyric which is probably enough for it to be filtered out. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the context here would make it hard to ignore.
    edited January 2010
    davidshek;3400681 said:
    Yeah cause that's SO much better :p
    Haha, I know. Though kids wouldn't get it, and it's because of kids that the filters there in the first place. :D
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    Not just *attempted* suicide. Tom wrote the song about a real-life incident at the U of Fla where a college girl got stoned and tried to fly off a 13-story balcony (without much success).
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    cherokeesam;3401083 said:
    Not just *attempted* suicide. Tom wrote the song about a real-life incident at the U of Fla where a college girl got stoned and tried to fly off a 13-story balcony (without much success).
    That's not suicidal at all, then. Stupid, maybe, but since when was stupidity for ages ten and over?
  • PumpActionCowPumpActionCow Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    SgtRubberRevolver;3400521 said:
    Why didn't American Girl by Tom Petty make it past the filter? It's a great song, and isn't suggestive or anything. So why is it not on LEGO Rock Band? Just wondering.
    It's because Tom Petty had an affair with Tiger Woods.
    edited January 2010
    monkeyfish;3401085 said:
    That's not suicidal at all, then. Stupid, maybe, but since when was stupidity for ages ten and over?
    Yeah, and I'm also sure kids aren't going to know the insperation for the song.
    edited January 2010
    Want to hear a more *likely* reason that "American Girl" didn't get past the filter?

"GOD, it's so painful when something that's so close is still so far out of reach."

Doesn't always perk up the Censor-bot antennae, but generally speaking, using "god" as a swear word (even a mild one) means no-no.
    edited January 2010
    cherokeesam;3401130 said:
    Want to hear a more *likely* reason that "American Girl" didn't get past the filter?

"GOD, it's so painful when something that's so close is still so far out of reach."

Doesn't always perk up the Censor-bot antennae, but generally speaking, using "god" as a swear word (even a mild one) means no-no.
    God, that's stupid.
  • MalacandraMalacandra Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    FWIW, Tom Petty denies that the song is about that Florida suicide.

My guess is that the rating has more to do with possible salacious implications of the lyric "make it last all night".
  • Rhystic_1Rhystic_1 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Malacandra;3401278 said:
    FWIW, Tom Petty denies that the song is about that Florida suicide.

My guess is that the rating has more to do with possible salacious implications of the lyric "make it last all night".
    I was going to say just that ;)

I wanted that song too :(. Oh well, I can always play it in RB2 ;)
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited January 2010
    cherokeesam;3401130 said:

Nowhere in that line is Tom using God as a swaer word. He is telling God that its painfull when something is so close yet so far out of reach.

I have no clue where you got that from.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Ehfahq;3401511 said:
    Nowhere in that line is Tom using God as a swaer word. He is telling God that its painfull when something is so close yet so far out of reach.

In this case, you could replace "God" with a swear, and it would still work. By comparison, you couldn't replace it with "Damn" in a sentence such as, "One nation, under God."

Without looking at other songs that made it past the filter (it doesn't bother me that much), this logic seems workable.
    edited January 2010
    Ehfahq;3401511 said:

Because the narrator is clearly talking to God in the rest of the song, right....? :rolleyes:

In '77, when the song was released, you couldn't even say "god" on prime time TV in the sense of "god, I am sooooo tired of people like Ehfahq nitpicking every little thing that I post." What was "edgy" back then seems laughable to us today.

And I'm not defending the censors on this in ANY event....whether it was left out of LEGO because of the word "god," or because of the word "die," or because of veiled references to suicide (which kids wouldn't even remotely get), the simple fact is that "American Girl" SHOULD have made it past the filter. Especially when plenty of other LEGO-"friendly" songs have references to death and God, swear word or otherwise ("Uncle John's Band" --- "goddamn, I do declare".....yeah).
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited January 2010
    cherokeesam;3401622 said:
    Because the narrator is clearly talking to God in the rest of the song, right....? :rolleyes:

In '77, when the song was released, you couldn't even say "god" on prime time TV in the sense of "god, I am sooooo tired of people like Ehfahq nitpicking every little thing that I post." What was "edgy" back then seems laughable to us today.
    No, he is talking to God when he directly refers to him/her/it. Its clear. You still havnt shown how that could be taken as an insult.

And im not nit picking anything. I pointed out something that has no logic to it at all. But if you want to feel personally insulted by it, and then post a snarky ass remark instead of actually talking about it, (like you do in ever single thread ive seen you in), I cant stop you.
    edited January 2010
    Ehfahq;3401632 said:
    No, he is talking to God when he directly refers to him/her/it. Its clear. You still havnt shown how that could be taken as an insult.

And im not nit picking anything. I pointed out something that has no logic to it at all. But if you want to feel personally insulted by it, and then post a snarky ass remark instead of actually talking about it, (like you do in ever single thread ive seen you in), I cant stop you.
    cool story bro.

Hey, what's the name of that guy in your avatar pic? I know he was in a lot of westerns back in the 60s, but I can't remember his name.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Ehfahq;3401632 said:
    instead of actually talking about it.
    Yep.
    edited January 2010
    Ehfahq;3401655 said:
    Yep.
    hey, thanks.

***EDIT: nm, I found it. Ben Johnson. :)
    ***RE-EDIT: either that, or it's Festus (Ken Curtis) from Gunsmoke.
    Can't tell which....to us, all cowboys look alike. :D
  • rdwalterrdwalter Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Festus from Gunsmoke.