Rock Band 2 PS3 Software Update This Thursday!

edited January 2010 in Rock Band
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/01/rock-band-2-ps3-software-update/

Hi there, PlayStation fans!

My name is Dan Teasdale. I’m DeliciousBees on the PlayStation Network, but more importantly I’m also the Lead Designer on Rock Band 2!

We’re perfectionists over here at Harmonix, and we want to make sure that everyone’s Rock Band experiences are as awesome as they possibly can be. With that in mind, I’m proud to announce that the Rock Band team has finalized a software update for Rock Band 2 on the PlayStation 3 that addresses some common feature requests from our fans. We’ve also added some great new functionality that we think you’ll be excited to try out when the software update arrives this Thursday.

This update wouldn’t be possible without the feedback and suggestions that we receive from everyone in both the Rock Band and PlayStation communities. Everybody here at Harmonix takes your forum posts and suggestions to heart, and we wouldn’t be able to make our games as awesome as they are without all of the feature requests and feedback that we get from you on a daily basis. So from all of us here at Harmonix, thank you, and please keep letting us know what you’d like to see in future updates and games!

This update includes:

* “Sort by Stars” in Quickplay. If you hit the “Sort” button on the Song Select screen, you’ll come to a brand new sort that orders songs by the star ratings that you’ve achieved on each song. Each star rating gets a category, as well as an “Unplayed” category for songs that don’t have a star rating recorded. Finally, you can record your progress towards gold starring every song in your library!
* Improved “Sort by Stars” fix: Players will not have to beat a previous high score to record a star rating for their songs.
* Chord HOPO improvements: If you’ve played The Beatles: Rock Band, you’ll notice much more robust handling of chord hammer-ons and pull-offs. This patch implements those changes in Rock Band 2 to provide a more natural chord hammer-on/pull-off experience.
* Velocity Sensitivity on Ion Drum Kits: Ion Drum kits now support velocity sensitivity in both drum fills and Drum Freestyle mode.
* Rock Band Network Store Support: When the Rock Band Network goes live, select songs will be available for PlayStation 3 users through a new storefront available in game. Stay tuned for more information closer to the launch of RBN!
* SingStar Wireless Microphone Support. Rock Band 2 now supports the SingStar Wireless Microphones currently available through Europe! Finally, you can now have a fully wireless Rock Band experience on your PlayStation 3!

We’re extremely happy to be able to finally release this update for the PlayStation 3 version of Rock Band 2. We know many of you are rabid PlayStation rockers, and it’s a priority for us to make sure that everyone gets the best experience playing Rock Band. On behalf of everyone here at Harmonix, we hope you enjoy the new features!

Rock,
-DanT

Comments

• Tom ImpTom Imp Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I love when people think they are the first to report something. Kinda like all the people who constantly make separate threads for Led Zeppelin in Ultimate Setlist as if they are the only ones to have ever heard of the band or are the only ones who have requested them.
  • Mr JonnyearsMr Jonnyears Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Tom Imp;3407679 said:
    I love when people think they are the first to report something...
    Where is your evidence to support this claim?
  • cfh1973cfh1973 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Tom Imp;3407679 said:
    I love when people think they are the first to report something. Kinda like all the people who constantly request Led Zeppelin as if they are the only ones to have ever heard of the band or are the only ones who have requested them.
    Kindly explain how the OP was acting like he thinks he was the first one to post this? And I did say "kindly".
  • Tom ImpTom Imp Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    cfh1973;3407687 said:
    Kindly explain how the OP was acting like he thinks he was the first one to post this? And I did say "kindly".
    Because he felt the need to start a whole new thread on something that was covered hours ago in a thread entitled "Rock Band 2 Software Update Notes".
  • FennzFennz Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    * Improved “Sort by Stars” fix: Players will not have to beat a previous high score to record a star rating for their songs.
    Will this get patched in the 360 version?
  • McNoobMcNoob Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Tom Imp;3407693 said:
    Because he felt the need to start a whole new thread on something that was covered hours ago in a thread entitled "Rock Band 2 Software Update Notes".
    And a few folks now know a patch is coming tomorrow because of this thread. The only reason I knew beforehand was because I curiously stumbled into the Software thread and saw Henry's post.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    Tom Imp;3407693 said:
    I have to agree that this needed to be pulled out of that thread and posted fresh. A lot of PS3 owners stopped following that thread a long time ago and are waiting for final word... well, here is that final word in a new, fresh thread.

But, maybe I am wrong and the only people interested in the patch are the ones posting in that thread...
  • edited January 2010
    Tom Imp;3407693 said:
    Sorry to have upset you.
  • Mr JonnyearsMr Jonnyears Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    I (and many others, I'm sure) wouldn't have known about this patch, had it not been posted in a new thread. There's no need to have a go at the OP for this reason....
  • cfh1973cfh1973 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    21stCenturyRockBand;3407714 said:
    Sorry to have upset you.
    It takes so little with some people doesn't it? Maybe he is quitting smoking too. :D
  • edited January 2010
    cfh1973;3407723 said:
    It takes so little with some people doesn't it? Maybe he is quitting smoking too. :D
    I agree, I usually go ape-s**t ballistic when I get good news.
  • master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
    edited January 2010
    I read the software update thing and found out about it, but barely go there anymore since it has been like 4 months.

So thanks for posting it here for those like myself that gave up going there, now more will see it.

Can't wait til tomorrow when all the threads pop up about how they just got a patch and didn't know anything about it. Expect at least 20 threads on the patch tomorrow.
  • mywhitenoisemywhitenoise Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Still has a locked save.
  • edited January 2010
    master2uall;3407738 said:
    I read the software update thing and found out about it, but barely go there anymore since it has been like 4 months.

So thanks for posting it here for those like myself that gave up going there, now more will see it.

Can't wait til tomorrow when all the threads pop up about how they just got a patch and didn't know anything about it. Expect at least 20 threads on the patch tomorrow.

Not only did I, and I would assume (I know not to lol) others stop reading that thread after so long, but I also figured that there would be a separate announcement and I doubt I'm the only one.
  • warrenpollardwarrenpollard Opening Act
    edited January 2010
  • Jordo141Jordo141 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I would just like to say THANK YOU to Harmonix. Not only do we get the stars/scores patch, we get RBN as well!

PS: Doe's anyone know if the bass score tracking problem (ie: scores won't show unless you beat a previous score on guitar) is solved?
  • blzbub74blzbub74 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    While it's good to finally have the patch coming out, it's dissapointing that they didn't fix the shaky arrow problem.
  • Doom878Doom878 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I found out through Henry's twitter. In between posts about his favorite LOTR character (Samwise FTW) and something regarding the Avengers.

+1 to what Mr. Utley said. Tomorrow's headline: "OMG my PS3 just updated wut"

FYI, Keldon's site still has where you can compare scores to buddies and find DLC matches. Plus most importantly it provides you with how your ranking changed. I'll add that his ranking is more accurate since he counts as a tie rather than how RB pushes you down.
  • sidman69sidman69 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    can't wait, i just hope the drum sensitivity is nothing like lego rock band's. You ca barely hear the drum fills as it is.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the info!
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    we get RBN as well!
    Not quite. We're getting "select tracks," which is the same plan that was announced before. We still have to wait for the full version of RBN that Xbox 360 users will have.

I share the concern about the shaky arrow. I think that's a much bigger problem than the lack of star sorting and so forth. I wonder if it would be foolish to hope that it will be patched in the update and that it just wasn't mentioned in the announcement.

Also, I agree that this news warrants its own thread. The original thread on this subject was quite bloated and not really worth following for despair-prone PS3 users like myself. At this point, it's just one thread. When duplicates start popping up, THEN we can use the "Led Zeppelin on the ultimate setlist forum" analogy. (By the way, it would be a much more accurate analogy if you replaced Led Zeppelin with Disturbed.)
  • recharge138recharge138 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I'm guessing the improved stars part will be included with the 360 patch for RBN. Looks like PS3 gets something before we do for once!

As for the shaky arrow, it seems to me to be a hardware problem. Lots of PS3 users say it doesn't effect them (when I played at a friends on his PS3, I noticed no shaky arrow), so I think its a console by console basis, possibly? If that's the case, no software update will probably help.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    recharge138;3407954 said:
    As for the shaky arrow, it seems to me to be a hardware problem. Lots of PS3 users say it doesn't effect them (when I played at a friends on his PS3, I noticed no shaky arrow), so I think its a console by console basis, possibly? If that's the case, no software update will probably help.
    Yeah, but no.

My The Beatles: Rock Band has no shaky arrow. Even with 3 mics used simultaneously.

My LEGO Rock Band has no shaky arrow.

Hardware problem? I think not.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    Additional Information from HMXHenry:http://www.rockband.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3407509&postcount=1771
    bigmf;3407201 said:
    Hey, I can see we don't have to beat a score to record stars, but do we have to replay the songs to move them out of unplayed? No big deal either way, just curious. It will affect how I'm going to play this weekend.
    Here are the more detailed notes on star sorting that QA passed along to me. To clarify, the update hitting tomorrow is identified as Patch 2.
    If a song is unplayed in patch 0/1 it appears as “unplayed” when you sort by stars in quickplay or band quickplay.

If a song achieves a score in patch 0/1 it appears as “unplayed” in quickplay, but it will have the appropriate star rating in band quickplay.

If a previously scored song in patch 0/1 gets an updated, but lower score in patch 2, then it appears as with the previous high score and new star rating in quickplay, but it will have the highest previous score and star ranking in band quickplay.

If a previously scored song in patch 0/1 gets an updated, but higher score in patch 2, then it appears with the appropriate score and star ranking in quickplay and will have the highest score and star ranking in band quickplay.

If a song achieves the highest possible score (e.g. gold starred) in patch 0/1 it appears as “unplayed” in quickplay, but it will have the appropriate star rating in band quickplay

If a previously scored song in patch 0/1 has the highest possible score (e.g. gold starred), but is re-scored with a lower/equivalent score and star ranking, then it will appear with the appropriate star ranking in quickplay, and will have the highest appropriate star rating in band quickplay.

All songs in band quickplay will only display the highest score and highest star rating for any configuration even if the individual star and score were achieved in different sessions, unless band quickplay is entered with only one instrument. In this circumstance, band quickplay behaves as solo/regular quickplay.
    This is probably more info than you necessarily need, but everyone should be able to figure it out after playing through a few songs tomorrow.
    edited January 2010
    Icemage;3407969 said:
    Yeah, but no.

My The Beatles: Rock Band has no shaky arrow. Even with 3 mics used simultaneously.

My LEGO Rock Band has no shaky arrow.

Hardware problem? I think not.
    Don't know what to tell you. Works fine on my friend's PS3. He has the new slim, if that means anything.
  • singemfrcsingemfrc Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    The ion sensitivity "patch" is the worst thing that Harmonix has ever done. It basically kills all freestyle since you cant get a full velocity hit to register without using a truly excessive amount of force..so it essentially mutes all your fills. It's much better to have it locked on full velocity (like it is now!!) than basically locked on lowest velocity. Why couldn't we have gotten an option to turn it off?
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited January 2010
    recharge138;3407954 said:
    It's a very rare occurrence, it doesn't happen every song, but my band's vocalist gets it at least a few times over the course of the 3-4 hours we play together in a day. It also doesn't happen in The Beatles, so it is at least partly software-based. I'd imagine reworking the entire vocals engine to remove it might not have been possible, or worth it in their eyes. I just hope it's gone in RB3. It's irritating trying to beat a score on a song only to hear my vocalist say "shaky arrow" and back out of the set to retry the song and hope it's not there anymore.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    recharge138;3407977 said:
    Don't know what to tell you. Works fine on my friend's PS3. He has the new slim, if that means anything.
    I have a 60GB and replaced it with a PS3 Slim and it does it on both units. Why are you arguing with a PS3 owner when you don't have one and have never experienced the problem?

P.S. I don't have the problem in other non-HMX games either; SingStar works flawlessly. So does Guitar Hero 5. So does Guitar Hero: Van Halen.
  • edited January 2010
    21stCenturyRockBand;3407752 said:
    Not only did I, and I would assume (I know not to lol) others stop reading that thread after so long, but I also figured that there would be a separate announcement and I doubt I'm the only one.
    Thanks for cross posting this info in a standalone thread. I know that the patch update thread has gotten a bit bulky for some people to read through, so this is a nice temporary redirect.
    edited January 2010
    Icemage;3407999 said:
    I have a 60GB and replaced it with a PS3 Slim and it does it on both units. Why are you arguing with a PS3 owner when you don't have one and have never experienced the problem?

P.S. I don't have the problem in other non-HMX games either; SingStar works flawlessly. So does Guitar Hero 5. So does Guitar Hero: Van Halen.
    I'm not! Not my issue, wasn't trying to bring up old wounds, so sorry. If its intermittent as the above poster said, maybe I just didn't have it happen to me or didn't notice it the one time I played on a PS3.

Maybe they fixed it in the patch and didn't mention it?