Why doesn't Harmonix just begin development on Rock Band 3 already?

GreatJallopiGreatJallopi Opening Act
edited January 2010 in Rock Band
Honestly, it was a little upsetting to me to know that Green Day: Rock Band is confirmed in development, while we still have no word on Rock Band 3. Don't get me wrong, I like Green Day's older music, but I would never buy a game based around them. Just like I didn't buy The Beatles: Rock Band, because I'm opposed to games based around one band and I was never a Beatles fan. The only artist-specific game I'd ever buy would be if they made David Bowie: Rock Band.

Honestly, I was majorly disappointed by Harmonix this year. While Guitar Hero 5 was released, containing many songs I wanted, Harmonix's competing game was The Beatles: Rock Band, which I had no interest in. Then there was Band Hero vs. LEGO Rock Band. While Band Hero had a couple songs I wanted (Ocean Avenue [glad we got it], If You Could Only See, The Impression That I Get, Believe), LEGO Rock Band clearly had the better setlist, but it was also pretty small for a fully-priced game. But then there was the rather pricy method of a song transfer for LEGO Rock Band, where one had to buy the game and pay an additional ten dollars to transfer the songs, which prevented the rent, transfer, return method. Granted, I understand Harmonix would have lost money if this method was available, but Activision didn't seem to have any qualms about doing it. Ultimately I did not get the songs from LEGO Rock Band, because paying sixty dollars for twelve songs I wanted just didn't seem worth it.

And before you tell me to shut up because they're giving us plenty that the Guitar Hero series is getting through DLC, I would like to say that right now this doesn't even matter. For one, paying for eighty songs through DLC is much more pricey than getting eighty on a retail disc. Also, I actually wanna see new features and an updated character creation with customization on par with Guitar Hero 5, or at least Guitar Hero: World Tour, rather than the recycled character creation from the original Rock Band. I'll never switch to Guitar Hero because I detest that series, but I wish Harmonix would work harder to keep some of us happy.

Comments

• nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    maybe they have and just haven't told us yet
  • bse523bse523 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    So who says they haven't started development?
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    I suspect RB3 will be a September release... thus, we will get no info on the game for a couple of months... E3 and the like... But, I am sure they are working on it... so sure I already have a Rock Band 3 rumors and facts thread started: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171722
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited January 2010
    You do know that The Beatles: Rock Band was being developed at THE SAME TIME as RB2, right?

It is completely within the realm of reason to guess that a RB3 is being developed alongside Green Day: Rock Band (which is basically a glorified track pack/expansion).
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    You are absolutely correct in assuming that just because they haven't officially announced it, they haven't started it, and that they're only capable of making one game at a time.

EDIT: Quadruple-ninja'd
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited January 2010
    GreatJallopi;3408322 said:
    Honestly, it was a little upsetting to me to know that Green Day: Rock Band is confirmed in development, while we still have no word on Rock Band 3. Don't get me wrong, I like Green Day's older music, but I would never buy a game based around them. Just like I didn't buy The Beatles: Rock Band, because I'm opposed to games based around one band and I was never a Beatles fan. The only artist-specific game I'd ever buy would be if they made David Bowie: Rock Band.
    You're against artist-specific games unless it's an artist you want.
    it was also pretty small for a fully-priced game. But then there was the rather pricy method of a song transfer for LEGO Rock Band, where one had to buy the game and pay an additional ten dollars to transfer the songs, which prevented the rent, transfer, return method.

paying for eighty songs through DLC is much more pricey than getting eighty on a retail disc.
    Cheap much? Lego was 45 songs for $60 with the export, that's less than the cost of DLC.
    I wish Harmonix would work harder to keep some of us happy.
    I'm happy. Sadly all of us can't be. If only their mission statement included catering to each and every one of their customers' specific desires...
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    I've seen quite a few articles on RB3 (mostly press releases I guess), so I would think it's definitely in development. And no interest in The Beatles Rock Band? Weak man.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    nascarfan19;3408329 said:
    maybe they have and just haven't told us yet
    This, it takes a while to make a game. If they started it now they most likely couldn't make the e3 deadline. The engine they're using for Green Day and Beatles will most likely be the RB3 engine also.
  • Mr JonnyearsMr Jonnyears Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    As soon as I saw 'Green Day: Rock Band' in the first post, I rolled my eyes and stopped reading.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited January 2010
    RockBandRocker;3408338 said:
    You do know that The Beatles: Rock Band was being developed at THE SAME TIME as RB2, right?
    And before that even. They started working on TB:RB before RB1 was even released.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited January 2010
    As a consumer I demand that a company reveal ALL information about thier up coming products.
  • thefncrowthefncrow Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Then there was Band Hero vs. LEGO Rock Band. While Band Hero had a couple songs I wanted (Ocean Avenue [glad we got it], If You Could Only See, The Impression That I Get, Believe), LEGO Rock Band clearly had the better setlist, but it was also pretty small for a fully-priced game. But then there was the rather pricy method of a song transfer for LEGO Rock Band, where one had to buy the game and pay an additional ten dollars to transfer the songs, which prevented the rent, transfer, return method. Granted, I understand Harmonix would have lost money if this method was available, but Activision didn't seem to have any qualms about doing it.
    Actually, you seem to misunderstand the Band Hero export process. Band Hero came with a unique code you needed in order to do the export. Band Hero cannot be exported in the manner of RB1 where you can rent the game and rip the songs. And not only did you need the code, but you had to pay $5 for the export, on top of paying $60 for the game, as opposed to Lego RB where the $10 export matched the $10 discount you got from the full game price of $60.

To be able to export the songs from Lego RB cost you $50 for a new copy(or less if you looked around) plus a $10 export fee for $60 in total, and to do the same with Band Hero cost $60 for a new copy plus a $5 export fee for $65 in total.

The export model of Rock Band 1 is dead and will never be seen again, because the Rock Band 1 export was something that was not foreseen when RB1 was released. As a result, Harmonix had no way of controlling RB1 exports. So, they went with their best available option, which, incidentally, allowed for people who hadn't bought new copies of the game to export it. From then on out, exportability was considered before release, and the games came with codes that could be used to control the export process.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited January 2010
    I would be completely stupefied if Harmonix had not already begun development of Rock Band 3.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Ehfahq;3408355 said:
    As a consumer I demand that a company reveal ALL information about their up coming products.
    The minute they hit the whiteboard. So there needs to be an announcement saying The Doors: Rock Band (Maybe?).

In all seriousness though they don't need to announce anything tell a leak could give it away stealing their thunder.
    Ex: Rock Band 2 wasn't announced tell 2 weeks before E3.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited January 2010
    General Lein979;3408374 said:

In all seriousness though they don't need to announce anything tell a leak could give it away stealing their thunder.
    Ex: Rock Band 2 wasn't announced tell 2 weeks before E3.
    Im glad you caught my satire.

Sometimes its a bad idea for a company to open it mouth early.

*cough rock band japan cough*
  • aggiesrul8aggiesrul8 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Now that you mention it.... the HMX leadership is preparing to begin creation of RB3
  • thefncrowthefncrow Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Ehfahq;3408384 said:
    Im glad you caught my satire.

Sometimes its a bad idea for a company to open it mouth early.

*cough rock band japan cough*
    Who's Next.

Nevermind.

And so forth.
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited January 2010
    kiggidykev;3408366 said:
    I would be completely stupefied if Harmonix had not already begun development of Rock Band 3.
    As would I, I'm sure Harmonix has already done some work on the game.
  • InterdimensionInterdimension Unsigned
    edited January 2010

Honestly, I was majorly disappointed by Harmonix this year. While Guitar Hero 5 was released, containing many songs I wanted, Harmonix's competing game was The Beatles: Rock Band, which I had no interest in. Then there was Band Hero vs. LEGO Rock Band. While Band Hero had a couple songs I wanted (Ocean Avenue [glad we got it], If You Could Only See, The Impression That I Get, Believe), LEGO Rock Band clearly had the better setlist, but it was also pretty small for a fully-priced game. But then there was the rather pricy method of a song transfer for LEGO Rock Band, where one had to buy the game and pay an additional ten dollars to transfer the songs, which prevented the rent, transfer, return method. Granted, I understand Harmonix would have lost money if this method was available, but Activision didn't seem to have any qualms about doing it. Ultimately I did not get the songs from LEGO Rock Band, because paying sixty dollars for twelve songs I wanted just didn't seem worth it.

And before you tell me to shut up because they're giving us plenty that the Guitar Hero series is getting through DLC, I would like to say that right now this doesn't even matter. For one, paying for eighty songs through DLC is much more pricey than getting eighty on a retail disc. Also, I actually wanna see new features and an updated character creation with customization on par with Guitar Hero 5, or at least Guitar Hero: World Tour, rather than the recycled character creation from the original Rock Band. I'll never switch to Guitar Hero because I detest that series, but I wish Harmonix would work harder to keep some of us happy.
    I won't argue about disliking Green Day: Rock Band and LEGO: Rock Band, but if you didn't like the Beatles, then that's your fault :P It was an awesome game, even if it did have less features and a smaller setlist.

And many people would argue that GH5 has a horrible setlist. I, for one, hate almost every song on disk excluding a few. They can't make a game with a setlist that fits everyone's needs/wantings, you know ;)
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited January 2010
    They technically started development on RB3 before RB1 was released
  • FlameSama1FlameSama1 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Hey I'll take some improved party features but really...is there that much to add? BESIDES songs.
  • Thrasher9294Thrasher9294 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    LEGO Rock Band clearly had the better setlist, but it was also pretty small for a fully-priced game.
    *Knock Knock*

It wasn't a fully priced game. It was $50 rather than $60 for a reason.
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Mr Jonnyears;3408349 said:
    As soon as I saw 'Green Day: Rock Band' in the first post, I rolled my eyes and stopped reading.
    But it's like a trainwreck, we shouldn't stare, but we can't look away. :D
  • Happy DragonHappy Dragon Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    And before you tell me to shut up because they're giving us plenty that the Guitar Hero series is getting through DLC, I would like to say that right now this doesn't even matter. For one, paying for eighty songs through DLC is much more pricey than getting eighty on a retail disc.
    Actually, for me at least, it matters a whole lot. Yes, it is more expensive to go buy 80 DLC songs, but this way I am guaranteed to be getting 80 songs I absolutely love and want to play over and over again, as opposed to 80 songs on disc that may have only 'x' among them in my tastes while being stuck with 'y' I don't. Personally, I'll take the DLC route anyday.

That being said, I would also like there to be a RB3 as I have gotten more than my moneys worth from the previous 2 games and there are always things to improve on. As others have noted already though, how do you know something isn't in the works?
  • noogainoogai Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    RB3 is confirmed to be in pre-production at least. (Via Dhani Harrison and some others.)
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    The only artist-specific game I'd ever buy would be if they made David Bowie: Rock Band.
    I agree with the title, but I have to be honest. I stopped reading your topic right about here.
  • MikachuMikachu Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    thefncrow;3408361 said:
    From then on out, exportability was considered before release, and the games came with codes that could be used to control the export process.
    Except Rock Band 2, if I remember correctly. I'm sure they'd find a way around it, but it still kind of concerns me.
    noogai;3408527 said:
    RB3 is confirmed to be in pre-production at least. (Via Dhani Harrison and some others.)
    Harrison was talking about a completely different project, or at least that's what most now assume. Not once did he ever say he was working on Rock Band 3; just a more realistic guitar simulator.
  • Baanu_RassBaanu_Rass Headliner
    edited January 2010
    A while back, around the time of the 20 free songs being released, I said HMX should under-promise and over-deliver. Hopefully that's what they are doing.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited January 2010
    Mikachu;3408541 said:
    Except Rock Band 2, if I remember correctly. I'm sure they'd find a way around it, but it still kind of concerns me.
    Either release a patch for rip and export like RB1, or just use the same code on the back of the manual, which is gonna SUCK for those who sold their codes or threw their booklets out, hehe

And to address your other point, Alex Rigopulos basically came out and let people know that Dhani doesn't really have anything to do with RB3
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    FlameSama1;3408429 said:
    Hey I'll take some improved party features but really...is there that much to add? BESIDES songs.
    Yes. Some sort of DLC/export filtering system is a must, and I will dance with glee in the streets of Cambridge if RB3 includes some sort of punitive measures and/or branding for people who deliberately disconnect during songs.