Pleasant Surprises in LRB

edited January 2010 in LEGO: Rock Band
I'm sure some of you were a bit skeptical when LRB was announced. Some even dismissed it as "a glorified track pack." Even myself, a diehard fan, was a bit reserved.

But now that it has been out a while, I think it has surpassed my expectations in a very positive way. It has even included a few new wrinkles which I would love to see in the main game. So I thought I'd throw out a discussion thread for others to post their "pleasant surprises" which made LRB great.

Setlist - Wasn't initially a big fan of the setlist, but after playing though it, I found a few new gems which I quite enjoy. And the song list has proven very popular in party/family settings.

Engine tweaks - From small improvements like the new 5 star "ding" sound, to the foot pedal "cheat" on drums, recovery mode, and even "super easy" for 5 year olds. These have all proven cool/useful at various times.

Artwork - There's a microphone shaped like an ice cream cone. I've been asking for that in the game for like 2 years. Amazing! Also, the minifig assortment from RB2 standins to pirates and aliens has proven adorable.

Comments

• grim88grim88 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    SpeedyShort;3420356 said:
    The ability to edit the AI members of the band, instead of just getting random people for each gig, you can create your own band and stick with it even if you're on your own.

Also like the unique instruments like the ice cream microphone mentioned.
    This is in RB2 as well. It's not new.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    SpeedyShort;3420356 said:
    The ability to edit the AI members of the band, instead of just getting random people for each gig, you can create your own band and stick with it even if you're on your own.

Also like the unique instruments like the ice cream microphone mentioned.
    you can already do a band in rb2
    the only new thing in LRB is the entourage, like road crew, pr and etc.
  • SpeedyShortSpeedyShort Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Then tell me how to change the look of the band members that I'm not controlling? I can't seem to find that anywhere...
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    SpeedyShort;3420412 said:
    Then tell me how to change the look of the band members that I'm not controlling? I can't seem to find that anywhere...
    In RB2, you have to create new band members (you can store up to 24), edit/costume them as desired, then just go to Band Roster and assign them to drums, guitar, bass or vocals.
    edited January 2010
    As to the Original Post:

There's a lot of innovations to LRB that are simply awesome, and that I'd love to see carry over to the next installment in the regular RB platform ---

*gathering an entourage
    *fleshing out the hired help (managers, execs, interns) to be actual editable characters instead of just a 2-D picture
    *decorating a rock den
    *Recovery Mode
    *autokick for drums
    *the 5-star "ding"
    *making albums and promoting them
    *lots more vehicles to play with
    *lots more cool drumkits and mics (actually sort of a downturn in the # of guitars and bass, though, from RB2....unless I haven't unlocked them all in LRB yet)
    *unlocking rock den furniture and new minifigures/costumes
    *the setlist ain't too shabby, neither
    edited January 2010
    cherokeesam;3420469 said:
    In RB2, you have to create new band members (you can store up to 24), edit/costume them as desired, then just go to Band Roster and assign them to drums, guitar, bass or vocals.
    Now I feel slightly stupid for not thinking of doing that... Although I can say that's an improvement in Lego Rock Band. They've made customisation easier for idiots like me :p
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I really do like the 'fantasy' theme of the game. The thought put into the setlists, venues, instruments and all that stuff was a great idea...so many people wanted these in Rock Band, but a lot of people would've felt that it was gimmicky. It's good to have this separation.

However, all the interface adjustments that made TB:RB a more pleasant experience than RB2 on the PS3 were absent from L:RB, despite L:RB being released after TB:RB. This caused many unpleasant surprises, because I was expecting them since HMX said they'd be moving forward with each release. L:RB was definitely a step backwards on the PS3.

Not to mention the loading times. I figured with less DLC songs to keep track of, as well as Lego (presumably) being easier to animate than The Beatles, there'd be less load times...another unpleasant surprise. :(
    edited January 2010
    OakTea;3420640 said:
    I really do like the 'fantasy' theme of the game. The thought put into the setlists, venues, instruments and all that stuff was a great idea...so many people wanted these in Rock Band, but a lot of people would've felt that it was gimmicky. It's good to have this separation.

However, all the interface adjustments that made TB:RB a more pleasant experience than RB2 on the PS3 were absent from L:RB, despite L:RB being released after TB:RB. This caused many unpleasant surprises, because I was expecting them since HMX said they'd be moving forward with each release. L:RB was definitely a step backwards on the PS3.

Not to mention the loading times. I figured with less DLC songs to keep track of, as well as Lego (presumably) being easier to animate than The Beatles, there'd be less load times...another unpleasant surprise. :(
    The load times *are* a pain, but it's probably because LRB is more graphics-intensive than RB2, from what I can see.

And: I forgot to add Rock Challenges to my list of Pleasant Surprises....there's something insanely satisfying about playing "Tick Tick Boom" while simultaneously blowing the crap out of a building.
  • edited January 2010
    cherokeesam;3420492 said:
    As to the Original Post:

There's a lot of innovations to LRB that are simply awesome, and that I'd love to see carry over to the next installment in the regular RB platform ---

*gathering an entourage
    *fleshing out the hired help (managers, execs, interns) to be actual editable characters instead of just a 2-D picture
    *decorating a rock den
    *Recovery Mode
    *autokick for drums
    *the 5-star "ding"
    *making albums and promoting them
    *lots more vehicles to play with
    *lots more cool drumkits and mics (actually sort of a downturn in the # of guitars and bass, though, from RB2....unless I haven't unlocked them all in LRB yet)
    *unlocking rock den furniture and new minifigures/costumes
    *the setlist ain't too shabby, neither
    Yeah, I forgot building albums. That's another nice twist that I wouldn't mind seeing in the main game.
  • Awesomedude116Awesomedude116 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    I got the Wii and the Nintendo DS version. Well what I liked were the Rock Power challenges they were awesome. My favorite was the one where the octopus that you turned down his dad gets revenge on you and tries to wreck your ship. What I didn't like was that on the Wii version when you first play the songs are all there so it's like you didn't even need to play the tour.
  • JStryker47JStryker47 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Apples;3421613 said:
    Yeah, I forgot building albums. That's another nice twist that I wouldn't mind seeing in the main game.
    That and the rock challenges are two things that I'd like to see in the main game.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Awesomedude116;3421626 said:
    I got the Wii and the Nintendo DS version. Well what I liked were the Rock Power challenges they were awesome. My favorite was the one where the octopus that you turned down his dad gets revenge on you and tries to wreck your ship. What I didn't like was that on the Wii version when you first play the songs are all there so it's like you didn't even need to play the tour.
    all new music games are like that now, so newcomers can do multiplayer games without the need to play tour mode.
  • Anton_96Anton_96 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Apples;3421613 said:
    Actually, I'd like to see this getting evolved, too. Like you can make an album setlist of up to 12 songs, and then getting the ability to choose all songs from the album when making a setlist. Also, getting money from selling albums, which depends on how big you are.
    edited January 2010
    Anton_96;3422554 said:
    Actually, I'd like to see this getting evolved, too. Like you can make an album setlist of up to 12 songs, and then getting the ability to choose all songs from the album when making a setlist. Also, getting money from selling albums, which depends on how big you are.
    This x1000.

I've been requesting this for decades now (exaggerate much, me? :D ).
    I'd also like to see an actual recording studio (or two or three) as a venue for you to record your albums, minus crowd noise, etc.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    I haven't seen anybody mention this yet...but I was surprised as heck when it let me play as Spinal Tap. I hadn't heard any rumors about that particular inclusion....so when they popped up I nearly soiled myself in excitement.
  • madisondawgmadisondawg Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    I too love the rock challenges. Having each person play a certain part and the others watching the live action in the background is a great idea and fun.
  • murphmurph Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    I like the world tour structure. more to do, more "select your own song" events. if the ^$#@( family filter wasn't in place, i'd play it alot more.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited January 2010
    The Setlist isn't too bad. Could have been a bit bigger, and it seemed like there could have been a few better song choices (many of them are a little repetitive)

I liked the customizable entourage.

I prefered their setlist challenges to the random ones in RB2, though I'd have liked a little of both.

Recording Albums is cool. Basically a way to store a premade setlist, but with other implications as well.

I wish you could have changed the skin color on the mini-figs. Too many looks don't quite work because of the wrong skin color.

The World Tour structure was fun, though the animations for the vehicles grows old after a while.

The score/star storage is cool in tour mode. Haven't checked out the star tracking in quick play.

If they could fix the setlist issue with Queen and a few other artists I'd be a happy camper.

Oh, and the sound quality on some of the effects was really bad. I get a lot of crackling after each song.
    SpeedyShort;3420627 said:
    Now I feel slightly stupid for not thinking of doing that... Although I can say that's an improvement in Lego Rock Band. They've made customisation easier for idiots like me :p
    I like how LRB does it better myself. There's an odd issue with the Bassist/Guitarist if you play as the Bassist and swap to Guitar. With LRB, I set the session musicians, and real characters can show up as you go.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Some nice things in it, as already mentioned. My main gripe was how slow it is to change to different gigs. Looking out for the aliens was a nice surprise :)
  • ZechmanZechman Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    One nice thing I like is that I could purchase a black Gretsch Duo-Jet and a white Fender P-Bass for my guitarists.

This way, my mini-figs are playing the same controllers that I am. :)

--Dwayne
  • ShadowChaosControlShadowChaosControl Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    i loved the customization aspect, and i hope it can be worked into RB3, since i like not having to make 4 characters as stand-ins during tour
    i also like having the 1-song create-a-setlist option, along with everything said above
    if RB3 is LRB, with less lego and parental filter, i'd be a happy camper, i am impressed with TT
    edited January 2010
    ShadowChaosControl;3428455 said:
    i loved the customization aspect, and i hope it can be worked into RB3, since i like not having to make 4 characters as stand-ins during tour
    While I like this, the only thing I'd change is that the game was smart enough to know that the four bandmates were all actual characters as well.

So as I cycle through my four band members, I'm actually changing the playable version as well. Since in LEGO when you change the stand-in it doesn't actually impact the playable character (and vice-versa).
  • cmenearcmenear Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    T-Hybrid;3428811 said:
    While I like this, the only thing I'd change is that the game was smart enough to know that the four bandmates were all actual characters as well.

So as I cycle through my four band members, I'm actually changing the playable version as well. Since in LEGO when you change the stand-in it doesn't actually impact the playable character (and vice-versa).
    While we're at it...let me purchase gear for my bandmates. I play LB:RB solo, and would love to give my drummer a new drum kit and my singer a new mic, but I can't. I suppose I could always log in as those characters to go through that (which is what I've done in RB2), but would like to totally flesh out my band from a single login.
    edited January 2010
    cmenear;3428853 said:
    While we're at it...let me purchase gear for my bandmates. I play LB:RB solo, and would love to give my drummer a new drum kit and my singer a new mic, but I can't. I suppose I could always log in as those characters to go through that (which is what I've done in RB2), but would like to totally flesh out my band from a single login.
    You can give them different instruments. You just change the characters by selecting the respective button when customising (yellow for guitar, RB for vocals (don't know about PS3 or Wii) and I'm assuming the bass pedal for drums).
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Having now played through most of the tour there are a few tweaks that I was pleasantly surprised by.

---The dings for 5 stars and gold stars are much more obvious/exist.
    ---The rock challenges are well done as part of a story that makes the tour a little more interesting.
    ---I LOVE that the game modifier for speed stays activated for the next time you start up the game.
    ---The stage antics and Lego charm are less annoying and funnier/more charming than I imagined.

In fact, my interactions with this game have been all positive minus the setlist. And it isn't even that I don't like a lot of the tunes. The problem is that there are WAY too many songs in this game that are ultra-repetitive. Not only does that include some of the marquee songs that I bought this game for because they would be great part tunes, but many of the newer/less well know songs. In fact, it seems like almost all of the 00's songs are nothing but hitting the same 3 button/3 chord combination in time for 3 minutes straight.

And if I do say so, it certainly feels like HMX overcharted some of the songs on the hard end of this setlist in order to try to create a difficulty progression that was not naturally present in the game setlist.

Edit: I also wanted to add that I'm very torn about the lego recovery blocks. I enjoy that I'm not actually failing (this is a great way to "drag" people through a song and might be great for a party mode). And I don't think it makes me any less motivated to try to finish without failing. I would particularly enjoy this mode if it somehow indicated with the score that you had actually failed the song. One good thing that I think it does is allow you to keep playing through the parts that you're struggling with, so it's almost like practice without having to go into a separate mode and practicing in a place where your score will "count" if you beat it.
  • IanC14IanC14 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Blasteroids;3426621 said:
    Looking out for the aliens was a nice surprise :)
    Heh, i remember when i first spotted one on the skyscraper. After that I had to keep my eye out for any on the other venues :D
    edited January 2010
    IanC14;3431124 said:
    Heh, i remember when i first spotted one on the skyscraper. After that I had to keep my eye out for any on the other venues :D
    Didn't know the "alien infiltration" was a random event...thought it was more story-driven (linear). In my campaign, the disguised alien first showed up at the Stud Farm....
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I think the aliens are permanent fixtures in most of the locations, you just have to keep your eyes out for them. Some are more obvious than others.
    edited January 2010
    cmenear;3428853 said:
    They actually do that in LRB now. Any gear you buy is bought under the BAND and not any specific artist. Also, any color swaps you make on clothing/instruments are stored for the individual bandmate.

I'm hoping to get something similiar to this in future RBs.
  • edited January 2010
    There's a banjo guitar in the game. Amazing! I swear this thing has best assortment of bizzare and cutesey instruments ever.