Which Cover Songs played by The Beatles do you prefer?

gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
edited January 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I'm talking about songs that were on the Beatles official discography that they didn't write. This doesn't include the Jonas Brothers. Which versions do you prefer?

Please Please Me:
Anna (Go To Him) Beatles Original
Chains Beatles 30 second original clip:Original
Boys Beatles Original
Baby It's You Beatles Original
A Taste Of Honey Beatles Original
Twist And Shout Beatles Original

With The Beatles:
Till There Was You Beatles Original
Please Mr. Postman Beatles Original
Roll Over Beethoven Beatles Original
You've Really Got A Hold On Me Beatles Original
Devil In Her/His Heart Beatles Original
Money (That's What I Want) Beatles Original

Long Tall Sally:
Long Tall Sally Beatles Original
Slow Down Beatles Original
Matchbox Beatles Original

Beatles For Sale:
Rock And Roll Music Beatles Original
Mr. Moonlight Beatles Original
Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey Beatles Original Original 2
Words Of Love Beatles Original
Honey Don't Beatles Original
Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby Beatles Original

Help!:
Act Naturally Beatles Original
Dizzy Miss Lizzy Beatles Original

Bad Boy Beatles Original

It's clear that The Beatles liked Carl Perkins and Larry Williams. Some of the originals weren't written by the band, but they were the first to record it. The reason Kansas City has 2 originals was because Kansas City was first recorded by Little Willie Littlefield. Little Richard turned it into a medley combining it with his song Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey. The Beatles covered Little Richard's medley.

I cannot find the originals for Chains, Devil In Her Heart, or Bad Boy.

Comments

• Big-A2Big-A2 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    I don't have the time to go through them all, but I've heard some before and I've found that many of the original just don't have the energy that the Beatles added. Rock & Roll music is a good example of this.

It's a shame that the Beatles version are more common though, although I guess some of these songs would've sinked to obscurity had the Beatles not covered them.
  • hannie3000hannie3000 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Twist And Shout, Kansas City, Act Naturally. :)
    (Basing my choices on the album versions, that is)
  • CyanFunkCyanFunk Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Originals over covers: 'Twist and Shout' (Isley Bros. ftw), 'Long Tall Sally', 'Roll Over Beethoven', 'Rock and Roll Music'

Covers over originals: 'Boys', 'Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey'
  • mywhitenoisemywhitenoise Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Twist and Shout, Postman, and Money.
  • Gigli78Gigli78 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Roll Over Beethoven, Rock and Roll Music, and Golden Slumbers. I noticed that you also missed "Maggie Mae" which is an old Liverpudlian drinking song (it's easy to let this slip to the untrained eye).

It all depends on if you are counting the Live at the BBC/Anthology covers too...
  • midge-beatlesmidge-beatles Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Roll Over Beethoven, because I really dig the lead guitar by George. And Act Naturally, not sure why, it's just that it's quite upbeat and I like it!
  • fuselage321fuselage321 Ringo Impersonator
    edited January 2010
    Tie Between:

Twist and Shout
    Roll Over Be(whatever)
    Money(TWIW)
    Boys
  • HotMangoChutneyHotMangoChutney Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Their single-take versions of "Twist and Shout" and "Long Tall Sally" definitely blow The Isley Brothers' and Little Richard's respective versions out of the water.

I think they at least equal (if also not surpass) The Shirelles on "Baby It's You," Chuck Berry on "Roll Over Beethoven," and Smokey Robinson and The Miracles on "You Really Got a Hold on Me." But I don't think their version of "Money" quite matches up to Barrett Strong's.

I don't think I've heard the original versions of any of their other covers (though I have heard Shirley Jones sing "Till There Was You" in The Music Man -- their version at least isn't as overwrought).
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I'm confused. Aren't we supposed to say whether we prefer the original? Because it seems like some are doing the opposite.

Also, Golden Slumbers isn't quite a cover.
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited January 2010
    DookieMan;3427019 said:
    I'm confused. Aren't we supposed to say whether we prefer the original? Because it seems like some are doing the opposite.

Also, Golden Slumbers isn't quite a cover.
    Technically it is. It's lyrics were hundreds of years old.

On topic: House of the rising sun.
  • CyanFunkCyanFunk Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    CCDaDon;3427152 said:
    Going by that, 'Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite!' should be considered a cover, too.
  • RetroGamingRetroGaming Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I've never really bothered with the originals of some of these songs, but I can tell you which covers I just don't like:

A Taste of Honey
    Mr. Moonlight
    Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby

I am partial to Dizzy Miss Lizzy, but I can't for the life of me figure out why it is the last song on Help! Very out of place, especially after Yesterday.

The Beatles' best covers by far are Long Tall Sally and Till There Was You.

I really like Roll Over Beethoven but I think that the original is even better.
  • leebuchananleebuchanan Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    [QUOTE=HotMangoChutney;3427015]Their single-take versions of "Twist and Shout" and "Long Tall Sally" definitely blow The Isley Brothers' and Little Richard's respective versions out of the water.[QUOTE]

Definitely prefer Beatles cover of "Twist and Shout," but beg to differ on "Long Tall Sally."

Nobody -- I mean nobody -- can upstage Little Richard. Paul sounds like a naughty choir boy compared to Mr. Penniman.
    edited January 2010
    Wait wait, woah woah. Beatles' Twist and Shout better than the Isleys'? LOLNO
  • Gigli78Gigli78 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Hahaha Dookie, I just said that because of when Paul is joking around about it being a cover in The Anthology.
  • NorwegianWoodNorwegianWood Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    CCDaDon;3427152 said:

On topic: House of the rising sun.

"Golden Slumbers" is definitely not a cover song it's music set to a poem. This is actually quite common in music. I liked what the Beatles did with the Motown songs with the emphasis on the guitars and the beat. I think if not the first they were one of the first to make songs like "Twist and Shout" guitar beat orientated songs. My favorite cover version is the Beatles version of “Words Of Love” the guitar work is pure early jangle pop.
  • mysfarbrormysfarbror Opening Act
    edited January 2010
  • edited January 2010
    gamegyro56;3422257 said:

I cannot find the originals for Chains, Devil In Her Heart, or Bad Boy.
    Devil In His Heart

Bad Boy (might Be US Only)

Chains (best I could find was a 30 second clip on Amazon)
  • TheNewTheNew Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Anna (Go To Him)
    Boys
    Honey Don't
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    loveslostandfound;3429384 said:
    Devil In His Heart

Bad Boy (might Be US Only)

Chains (best I could find was a 30 second clip on Amazon)
    thank you. That explains why I couldn't find Devil in His/Her Heart. I searched for "her" Bad Boy is US only, just like the Beatles version :p
  • KennyWenny732KennyWenny732 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    CCDaDon;3427519 said:
    Wait wait, woah woah. Beatles' Twist and Shout better than the Isleys'? LOLNO
    Except that the Isley Brothers aren't the ones who originally performed Twist and Shout. Even if they were, ever heard of an opinion?
    edited January 2010
    KennyWenny732;3438873 said:
    Except that the Isley Brothers aren't the ones who originally performed Twist and Shout. Even if they were, ever heard of an opinion?
    Where did I imply that the Isleys did the song originally?
  • Celebrated_Mr_KCelebrated_Mr_K Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Not sure exactly what the intent of the question is, but my favorite Beatles covers are "Twist and Shout" and "Roll Over Beethoven." "Rock and Roll Music" is a close third. Maybe "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" after that. I've always had a great liking for "A Taste of Honey", too, but I know a lot of people don't seem to care much for it.

The absolute last place would be "Til There Was You." That was an odd choice for the Beatles to cover, it being a standard from musical theater and a little bit sappy.
  • Celebrated_Mr_KCelebrated_Mr_K Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    You can see a lot of what influenced the Beatles in their cover choices. They were huge fans of Little Richard, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, among others. Paul's singing, especially on the fast numbers, is very reminiscent of Little Richard's.

The Beatles name, of course, was inspired by Buddy Holly & the Crickets. Buddy liked the Crickets as a name because of the harmonious night songs of the little insects. In England, "cricket" has other meanings...there's the game, cricket, but also when something is "cricket", it's meant to be straight up and good. So John loved the name and came up with beetles spelled with an "a" to imply musical beat. An earlier name of the group was "Long John and the Silver Beatles". That was also some clever Lennon wordplay, invoking Long John Silver of "Treasure Island."

John was asked early on how they chose the name "Beatles." He wrote that a man on a flaming pie appeared and said that henceforth they would be Beatles with an 'a'. :D