Rock Band Network Recruitment - Volunteer For a Free Trial BS

GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
edited January 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Hey all, so I volunteered myself in the "Rock Band Network Recruitment - Volunteer For a Free Trial" a couple days ago I got an email saying I was accepted and they entered my username/password into the database, and they gave me a list of instructions on how to get started. I followed the instructions and purchased an XNA account, and now had access to their new forums. After about 30 minutes, it auto-signed me out and now whenevder I try to sign it it says "Sorry General Gilliam - You must be at least 18 years old to be a part of the Rock Band Creators Club." I e-mailed them about it on the 9th but still no reply back. Wondering if anyone else had the same problem?

~Tim

-UPDATE-

Well, I got an e-mail back. I guess they just needed to change my info manually because my birthday on the forums there were set to below 18. Well, they changed it and it all works now so, if your having the same problem just contact the creators.rockband e-mail because it IS an error on their end.

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    XNA requires you to be 18 or over to participate. That's not Harmonix's fault.

http://creators.xna.com/en-US/faq

(Replace "Indie Games" with "RBN Songs")

Who can submit Xbox LIVE Indie Games for sale in Xbox LIVE Marketplace?
    A member of the XNA Creators Club Online whose premium (paid) account is in good standing and is a legal adult (for the countries we currently serve this means 18 years of age or older).

Who can peer review Xbox LIVE Indie Games?
    A member of the XNA Creators Club Online whose premium (paid) account is in good standing and is a legal adult (for the countries we currently serve this means 18 years of age or older).
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited January 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3426998 said:
    After about 30 minutes, it auto-signed me out and now whenevder I try to sign it it says "Sorry General Gilliam - You must be at least 18 years old to be a part of the Rock Band Creators Club." I e-mailed them about it on the 9th but still no reply back. Wondering if anyone else had the same problem?
    Are you not 18? If so, then that's a legal issue with XNA, not HMX.

As for the no reply to your email yet:
    HMXThrasher;3426644 said:
    Hey guys - our email support server (support@harmonix & creators_support) has been down since last night making it impossible for us to reply to support emails. Hold tight and you'll hear from us once we're back up and running.
  • bootz0rsbootz0rs Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3426998 said:
    Hey all, so I volunteered myself in the "Rock Band Network Recruitment - Volunteer For a Free Trial" a couple days ago I got an email saying I was accepted and they entered my username/password into the database, and they gave me a list of instructions on how to get started. I followed the instructions and purchased an XNA account, and now had access to their new forums. After about 30 minutes, it auto-signed me out and now whenevder I try to sign it it says "Sorry General Gilliam - You must be at least 18 years old to be a part of the Rock Band Creators Club." I e-mailed them about it on the 9th but still no reply back. Wondering if anyone else had the same problem?

~Tim
    Exact same problem so it's not just you.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    1. I'm 20 so yeah,
    2. Yea, I just read the post that said the server was down.
    3. It IS a problem with HMX, because the sign in problem is here http://creators.rockband.com/sign_in not at XNA.
    4. Good to hear I'm not the only one lol

-EDIT-

Well, technically I didn't buy an XNA subscription I got mine for free through the Microsoft Dreamspark program (College Students only)
  • FangSingFangSing Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I have the same problem unfortunately.
    edited January 2010
    Oh, if you're over 18 then it might be that your birthday is incorrect in your profile? Or, the free student trial account isn't letting you in and instead of the error message saying "this type of account won't work with RBN" it's giving the wrong message about age.
    edited January 2010
    well it let me in the site before I had an XNA so it can't be because I don't have a compatible XNA, also I didn't have time to configure my birthday settings before I hot signed out so they should still be the defaults. I only had time to change my avatar and make I think 2 posts.

-EDIT-

If they ported my profile from here, then my birthday should be entered in as june 11 1989
  • MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    On a side note, I got the email too, and I thought this was a "free trial" but it seems like I have to purchase XNA, no?

What am I missing?
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited January 2010
    MisterSchulz;3427471 said:
    On a side note, I got the email too, and I thought this was a "free trial" but it seems like I have to purchase XNA, no?

What am I missing?
    They only had a limited number of free 4 month XNA trials to hand out but they invited more to join the beta.
  • nk40699nk40699 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I lost my email account when I changed my internet service, how will I know whether I got an e-mail? And how do I change my e-mail that is listed for them?
  • FangSingFangSing Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    trg007;3427272 said:
    Oh, if you're over 18 then it might be that your birthday is incorrect in your profile? Or, the free student trial account isn't letting you in and instead of the error message saying "this type of account won't work with RBN" it's giving the wrong message about age.
    I'm not over 18 yet. :D

I was really exited about reviewing songs but I guess I can't really do that besides comment on their youtube videos.
    edited January 2010
    Well, if harmonix was giving out XNA trials, then everyone should have the trial I have, because XNA only gives out 1 kind of trial code, therefore my XNA account should work with the RBN
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    It goes by the birthday on your Gamertag. If you are over 18 but were under 18 when you got your gamertag then you may not be in the system as an adult yet. If that's the case, you have to upgrade your account to an over 18 account which you can do really easily on the xbox website.
    edited January 2010
    Im trying that now but for the life of me I can't find the place to change your birthday. Any idea as to where it is located?
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3427808 said:
    Im trying that now but for the life of me I can't find the place to change your birthday. Any idea as to where it is located?
    Well it's not changing your birthday, it's just an option to change your account to a mature account. I'll find the link for you....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945418?sd=xbox

That describes the process.
    edited January 2010
    well, apparently my account was already registered as an adult account, so no dice there :(
  • ShoTTySLanKiNShoTTySLanKiN Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    I was really excited about doing the Beta playtesting but I don't think I'm gonna do it based on the fact I have to pay to review the songs/ XNA Membership. It's said because I was excited when I got my email too.
  • bootz0rsbootz0rs Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Kariodude;3427766 said:
    It goes by the birthday on your Gamertag. If you are over 18 but were under 18 when you got your gamertag then you may not be in the system as an adult yet. If that's the case, you have to upgrade your account to an over 18 account which you can do really easily on the xbox website.
    Yeah mine is definitely an adult account.
    edited January 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3427710 said:
    Well, if harmonix was giving out XNA trials, then everyone should have the trial I have, because XNA only gives out 1 kind of trial code, therefore my XNA account should work with the RBN
    It's not trial accounts per se. HMX was giving out full-blown 4 month XNA subscription codes (the same thing you'd get if you paid the $49).

They probably intended to be able to give everyone they selected from the thread a 4-month code but weren't able to get them from Microsoft or something, hence why people are confused at having to pay for their own XNA after signing up for a "free trial".
    edited January 2010
    OH, never mind my last post then lol. I wasn't clear on that, I thought they were giving out literally 4 month "trial" accounts.
    edited January 2010
    Well, I got an e-mail back. I guess they just needed to change my info manually because my birthday on the forums there were set to below 18. Well, they changed it and it all works now so, if your having the same problem just contact the creators.rockband e-mail because it IS an error on their end.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Shouldn't have been pretending to be under 18. I'm calling Dateline!
    edited January 2010
    ethicalpaul;3428905 said:
    Shouldn't have been pretending to be under 18. I'm calling Dateline!

Oh ****!!! (runs away)
  • Just1_JoeJust1_Joe Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I really wanted to do this beta testing and I was really excited when I got the email saying I was in. But seeing as I have to pay for premium, I just do it. Really disappointing.