M$ Dreamspark XNA Trial

GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
edited February 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here had an XNA Trial subscription through the Microsoft Dreamspark program? I'm asking because I wanna know whether or not those trials will work for the RBN?

Comments

• GrausherraGrausherra Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Audition mode will work, but the creators site won't. :\
  • YoshipupdudeYoshipupdude Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    yeah i second that. the dreamspark trial claims that it gives students full access to microsoft programs for free, but when i tried to access the creators site and try out some of the songs available for playtest, it didnt work. said i needed a full premium account.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    well, as long as audition mode works. My main concern is testing my songs rather than testing other peoples lol
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3427902 said:
    well, as long as audition mode works. My main concern is testing my songs rather than testing other peoples lol
    A word of advice, if you plan on eventually getting a full XNA account and submitting songs: the RBN Creators Club is a two-way street. Though it is not technically required to playtest anyone else's songs, if you are going to put up songs and expect other members to take the time to test them for you, you need to do the same in return for them. If all you do is submit songs without contributing anything back to the community, people will notice this and be less likely to want to review your songs and get them into the Marketplace.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    trg007;3428139 said:
    A word of advice, if you plan on eventually getting a full XNA account and submitting songs: the RBN Creators Club is a two-way street. Though it is not technically required to playtest anyone else's songs, if you are going to put up songs and expect other members to take the time to test them for you, you need to do the same in return for them. If all you do is submit songs without contributing anything back to the community, people will notice this and be less likely to want to review your songs and get them into the Marketplace.

Oh I know that. I'm just saying that as I'm having trouble with signing in to the Creators Club, I can at least still playtest my own songs for the time being. I plan on playtesting a good amount of songs once I get this stuff all sorted out because, hey, I'll probably find some DLC I'd like to download while doing so!
  • Spikey325Spikey325 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    I just got a Trial account through Dreamspark also, but when I try to go into Audition Mode, it says that I am not a part of the XNA Creators Club, but I registered my gamertag and everything. Any idea why it's not working?
  • NSIYusukeNSIYusuke Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Spikey325;3444399 said:
    I just got a Trial account through Dreamspark also, but when I try to go into Audition Mode, it says that I am not a part of the XNA Creators Club, but I registered my gamertag and everything. Any idea why it's not working?

"Sign out before these effects can take place".

=3 Just try signing out and back in. Should work then.
  • shadcrkdshadcrkd Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    So does a paid XNA subscription let you access RBN now? Or not until the public beta opens.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Your question is a little unclear. XNA will let you playtest in the open beta, which should open this afternoon. Premium XNA will let you submit a song for testing.

Nothing will let you in the store yet, it's not yet open.
  • shadcrkdshadcrkd Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Oh, okay. I had the dreamspark XNA trial and was looking to playtest some songs/
  • maniac3000maniac3000 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    ethicalpaul;3444847 said:
    Your question is a little unclear. XNA will let you playtest in the open beta, which should open this afternoon. Premium XNA will let you submit a song for testing.

Nothing will let you in the store yet, it's not yet open.
    WRONG!
    It says you need a premium account. And I only get a listen link on the songs, not a download link.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited January 2010
    maniac3000;3446715 said:
    WRONG!
    It says you need a premium account. And I only get a listen link on the songs, not a download link.
    What was wrong about what he said? With a Dreamspark Trial XNA account, you will not have access to the songs in Playtest or Peer Review. Which means you cannot download any songs for use in Audition Mode.

The songs that you see with only a Listen link are the 38 songs that are already passed the Peer Review stage, in the "Approved" stage, ready for sale in the RBN Store when it opens. You do have access to those with a Trial XNA account, but you still can't download them for play in Audition Mode.

In order to access the other songs in playtest/peer review, you need a Premium XNA account. Trial won't get you there. So while theoretically yes, a Trial XNA account will let you access Audition Mode in RB2, it will NOT let you access the part of the Creators website where you can download RBN songs for use IN Audition Mode.
  • maniac3000maniac3000 Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    He seemed to be stating otherwise. Thank you very much for giving me false hope. :-P
    I expected I wouldn't be able to peer review songs with an XNA student trial as I could never peer review indie games.
  • dj wazzydj wazzy Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    i also tried the freebie.....you gotta pay to play
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I think I was wrong :)

I think I should have said that with a non-premium xna you can audition your own stuff, but it takes a premium to playtest and peer review.

At the time I wrote it I think I was under the (mistaken) impression that you could playtest, but not submit, with one of those dream-whatever xna accounts.

I'm sorry about that--I've done three songs and apparently I'm still not clear on all the different flavors of XNA weirdness.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited January 2010
    ethicalpaul;3446779 said:
    At the time I wrote it I think I was under the (mistaken) impression that you could playtest, but not submit, with one of those dream-whatever xna accounts.
    No, you're correct about that. If you create your own song, you can playtest it yourself in Audition Mode with a Trial XNA account. You just can't get into the playtest section of the Creators website to submit it for others to test it, or download others' songs for testing.
  • MrJarpoMrJarpo Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Nevermind, figured it out.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited February 2010
    So just so I get this straight.... If I do this dreamspark trial thingamabob, that would grant me access to create my own tracks in rock band (with my own music, if I had any) and play those ONLY. It would not let me in to play test other's tracks.
    edited February 2010
    kitlerc;3477808 said:
    So just so I get this straight.... If I do this dreamspark trial thingamabob, that would grant me access to create my own tracks in rock band (with my own music, if I had any) and play those ONLY. It would not let me in to play test other's tracks.
    Correct. It's a great way to start out when you're learning how to author your own stuff, since you can use Audition Mode without having to pay the 100 bucks.
    edited February 2010
    trg007;3477871 said:
    Correct. It's a great way to start out when you're learning how to author your own stuff, since you can use Audition Mode without having to pay the 100 bucks.
    It a shame that I have no interest in authoring my own stuff. I just wanna playtest.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited February 2010
    There is also the 4 months for 50 bucks option.

50 bucks to get to play and provide feeback to hundreds (Passed + PR + Test really is over 200 now) of great songs is a damn good deal.
    edited February 2010
    Casto21;3477941 said:
    There is also the 4 months for 50 bucks option.

50 bucks to get to play and provide feeback to hundreds (Passed + PR + Test really is over 200 now) of great songs is a damn good deal.
    If I did get XNA, I would most likely get the $99 for the year. But that is something to keep in mind.

I probably will wait for the official launch of the RBN store like everyone else. It's great that these lesser known bands get a chance for this now. (And it's also a great way for GH bonus songs to sneak into RB with out people being all like "Why did they release more Acrobrats when I wants teh muse!!1!")
  • Chix Dig ScarsChix Dig Scars Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    I'm trying to redeem my free code on the marketplace and it says it's invalid...any ideas?
  • Chix Dig ScarsChix Dig Scars Unsigned
    edited February 2010
    Nevermind. Figured it out, followed some piss poor instructions the first time around.
  • PonchoPoncho Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    My school isn't on the list :(
  • masterantoniomasterantonio Rising Star
    edited February 2010
    I can't get the audition to work, I am signed up for xna trial, and have tried signing in and out, but it won't let me audition anything. I even recorded a demo today to test out the tools.
    edited February 2010
    How long has it been since you activated your XNA account? It can take a little while before the system recognizes that you have an XNA account to let you into Audition Mode.