TB:RB aren't selling well

liaminhliaminh Opening Act
edited January 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Here’s some news the Beatles aren’t used to hearing: they aren’t selling very well. According to a new report released by a market research company that tracks the video game industry, the heavily promoted (and widely lauded) game The Beatles: Rock Band has not performed as well as other popular music games, and the genre as a whole appears to be on the decline.

The report, released Thursday by NPD Group, said that overall the gaming industry had its best month ever in December, racking up more than $5.5 billion in sales of software, consoles and other hardware, and that the popular first-person shooter Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has become the fourth best-selling game of all time.

For games that involve the use of plastic guitars instead of guns, however, the picture wasn’t as rosy. The Beatles: Rock Band, which allows players to tap buttons along to the music of the Fab Four, has sold 1.18 million copies in the United States and 1.7 million copies worldwide since its release in September. By comparison, the music game Rock Band 2 sold 1.7 million copies in its first four months of release in 2008, and Guitar Hero: World Tour sold 3.4 million copies in that time. Guitar Hero 5, a franchise sequel released in September, has sold 996,000 copies so far.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/15/beatles-to-video-gamers-you-never-give-us-your-money/

Comments

• quinakingquinaking Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Rock Band 2's a far better game than Beatles and the music game genre has died down a lot since RB2. This article's complete bull****.
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Well some comfort. It sold more than GH5.
  • JerkinatorJerkinator Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    quinaking;3434941 said:
    Rock Band 2's a far better game than Beatles and the music game genre has died down a lot since RB2. This article's complete bull****.
    RB2 isn't a "far better game" than the Beatles game. In fact, it's crap in comparison imo. There's a lot more detail and personal touches in this game, whereas in RB2 all you're doing is playing bland looking stadiums / clubs with generic looking rockers.

It's a great game, but definitely not better than The Beatles game (unless you're a DLC whore).
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited January 2010
    My opinion is better, no MY opinion is better.
  • jrdj87jrdj87 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Ehfahq;3435023 said:
    That pretty much sums up forums lol
  • SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Jerkinator;3435011 said:
    RB2 isn't a "far better game" than the Beatles game. In fact, it's crap in comparison imo. There's a lot more detail and personal touches in this game, whereas in RB2 all you're doing is playing bland looking stadiums / clubs with generic looking rockers.

It's a great game, but definitely not better than The Beatles game (unless you're a DLC whore).
    I think quinaking is saying what the article was trying to impose.
    But, you are right of course.
  • RADIO CHRISRADIO CHRIS Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Beatles did sell well genius
  • rad5brandonrad5brandon Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Beatles and "Aren't Selling Where" do not belong anywhere close to each other.

Be reminded that NPD doesn't track a lot of sales, such as over the internet, in mom and pop stores, and and major retailers that do not want to be tallied. I'm not sure if it is International but this is definitely not the best way to track a game's sales. These are the same people who say "PC GAMING IS DEAD!!!1" when they don't even track half the distributors distributing to the distributees.
    Blah to them I say.
  • odd-propsodd-props Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    One thing is for certain. DLC won't sell at all unless they freaking release it.
  • Gigli78Gigli78 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    I think the fact that they chopped $50 off the price just before Christmas... and then another $50 off the price just after Christmas, as well, speaks volumes on how well the game is selling related to expectations. Equal sales numbers doesn't mean equal profits, as the costs are likely higher on this game and people that had already purchased music genre games would already have the instruments. More so than RB2, anyway.
  • juan29zapatajuan29zapata Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Wait a second, if a game sells more than one million does that means it's not selling well? When did that change?

Or did they thought that they would sell 5 million copies by this time? Because at the time: economy wasn't well (and with the LE didn't help either), and people were already getting sick of the music genre.

It's just the circumstances, but it has sold well for me, anyway.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited January 2010
    Ehfahq;3435023 said:
    Both of your personalities are wrong because my opinion has always been better.
  • JPGRNGJPGRNG Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    are they talking about just the game alone or the complete set with game, bass drums,and mic?.
    and if not how may unit did that sell?
  • TheChanglingTheChangling Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Its selling superbly over here. even Beatles haters (That is the biggest oxymoron I've ever had to write) are buying as much as they can fit under their bloated mainstream chins.
  • PatchankaPatchanka Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Ehfahq;3434792 said:
    So RB2 sold 1.7 in 4 month and TB:RB sold 1.7 in 4 months.

And its not selling as well?
    Probably they meant to compare US sales. RB2 sold 1.7M in 4 months in USA, but TB:RB sold that much worldwide.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Patchanka;3435338 said:
    Probably they meant to compare US sales. RB2 sold 1.7M in 4 months in USA, but TB:RB sold that much worldwide.
    Youre right. He got that number from wiki. The source from wiki is an article about US sales.
  • edited January 2010
    I don't get it. It sold as many as Rock Band 2, and that's bad?

What were the expectations if 1.7M sold is perceived as "poor" ?
  • quinakingquinaking Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Jerkinator;3435011 said:

I laughed my ass off at this because for the first half of the Beatles you play in generic looking clubs in arenas with generic looking people. You're entitled to your opinion, I just thought that was funny.
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Isn't the OP the same guy that's been saying TBRB has been selling bad for a while now?
  • PleasePleaseMeatPleasePleaseMeat Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Actually, he pretty much just posts news articles. None of it is his opinion.
  • AndywinXpAndywinXp Opening Act
    edited January 2010
  • SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    quinaking;3435423 said:
    I laughed my ass off at this because for the first half of the Beatles you play in generic looking clubs in arenas with generic looking people. You're entitled to your opinion, I just thought that was funny.
    And RB2?..
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Here's some more good news. The DLC has sold over 1 million.
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    MostSpartan14;3435508 said:
    So wait a minute....they're saying that there have been over 1 million Beatles: Rock Band songs downloaded?

If they don't come out with more, they're insane. That seems like a pretty amazing number considering the game has only been out 4 months.
  • CaptainKickerCaptainKicker Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    AndywinXp;3435444 said:
    I am disappoint
    I am very dissapoint
  • stuartmcstuartstuartmcstuart Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    MostSpartan14;3435508 said:
    Yup - and heres another source saying the exact same thing. Seems like sales of the actual game are lower than expected but DLC is the moneymaker.
  • ASDodgeASDodge Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    More info...
    Beatles: RockBand sold 1.18 million in the USA and 1.7 worldwide... thats 2.88 million units total.

TB:RB sold well, better than expectations and revised expectations because of the economic downturn worldwide.

As far as affecting DLC- Harmonix had the 3 DLC albums already "in the can" when the game was released. They then intended to wait and see how DLC sales would go, before proceeding with individual songs or more albums. Therefore, there is going to be a lag between DLC releases as someone eventually has to give a go-ahead for more. And then, they must decide which album/songs will be their best bet. There will be only one logic- "this is what we think will sell the best."

Personally, I believe something more will come. It will take into February for stores and outlets to total up items sold. There was a big wave of sales in September, then it quieted down a bit, and there seems to have been a big rush at X-Mas. All I can say is that, there weren't many LE or Special Value Bundles left on any shelves at local stores around here. Something happened to them.
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    ASDodge;3435978 said:
    More info...
    Beatles: RockBand sold 1.18 million in the USA and 1.7 worldwide... thats 2.88 million units total.

TB:RB sold well, better than expectations and revised expectations because of the economic downturn worldwide.

As far as affecting DLC- Harmonix had the 3 DLC albums already "in the can" when the game was released. They then intended to wait and see how DLC sales would go, before proceeding with individual songs or more albums. Therefore, there is going to be a lag between DLC releases as someone eventually has to give a go-ahead for more. And then, they must decide which album/songs will be their best bet. There will be only one logic- "this is what we think will sell the best."

Personally, I believe something more will come. It will take into February for stores and outlets to total up items sold. There was a big wave of sales in September, then it quieted down a bit, and there seems to have been a big rush at X-Mas. All I can say is that, there weren't many LE or Special Value Bundles left on any shelves at local stores around here. Something happened to them.
    I think you're reading that the wrong way.....the game has sold 1.7 worldwide including US sales. At least that's how I read it.

Regardless, I'm not sure why the articles being written are negative. 1.7 worldwide is damn good and 1 million downloads of Beatles: Rock Band DLC is, to me, amazing. As I said earlier if that # is accurate, they would be crazy to not make more.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    ASDodge;3435978 said:
    The US is part of the world... So mva5580 is right
  • master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
    edited January 2010
    well maybe they should have allowed export after all, great news to me, if you ask.