HOPOs - D'oh!

KMO_2000KMO_2000 Opening Act
edited January 2010 in LEGO: Rock Band
I've just realised I've been making this too hard. I'd been playing assuming that hammer-ons and pull-offs had to be performed as real hammer-ons and pull-offs, if you didn't want to strum them.

But they're not really implemented like that, are they? You can just treat them as "fret-tappable" notes.

I was assuming that a red->yellow hammer-on had to be performed by pressing yellow while red was still down.

And that a yellow->red pull-off had to be performed as a pull-off - you had to be releasing yellow with red down as the red gem hit. That was the thing I was particularly stumbling over.

But no, you can just tap the frets for the gems, exactly the same as using the lower frets in a solo. :p

Well, that makes it a bit easier. :rolleyes: (Although real HOPOs will be the easy option in some cases).

Comments

• ricecakericecake Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    This is true. However, if you ever go back and play the first Guitar Hero on PlayStation 2, you actually did have to hit them like real hammer-ons and pull-offs, making them much more difficult, which is why a lot of people just strum everything in that game.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    KMO_2000;3435346 said:
    (Although real HOPOs will be the easy option in some cases).
    ^Agree with this 1000%.
    Playing the HOPOs like HOPOs actually *should* be played feels a lot more natural, and is more conducive to teaching some actual guitar technique (something HMX and Neversoft have been trying to tout for awhile).
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited January 2010
    I stum a lot of HO/POs, but it depends on the song. If it's a pacing issue (string of notes at the same speed), I usually just strum along. If it's a half-way pickup (HO/PO in between two normal strums), I don't as it will likely throw me off.

I struggle with timing on a lot of them though. Without strumming, I start moving too fast or too slow. It's why GG&HT kills me at the end on X
  • KMO_2000KMO_2000 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the comments - interesting to know that back in the mists of time, they really were hammer-ons and pull-offs.

The in-game tutorials go through hammer-ons, describing real hammer-ons, and then just say "pull-offs are the same in reverse". Which seemed a bit glib to me - releasing yellow as a red gem passes seemed like a complex enough skill to be worth describing and practising...

I'd say that doing them properly is worth some sort of recognition - maybe like the trophies involving upstrumming on bass...
  • jimburyjimbury Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Bront20;3444404 said:

I struggle with timing on a lot of them though. Without strumming, I start moving too fast or too slow. It's why GG&HT kills me at the end on X
    exactly the same, unless i strum the start note of a chain my timing goes totally out of the window, and things like panic attack and the bass of cuz u r next i have to strum everything or i lose the rhythm entirely
  • ricecakericecake Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    KMO_2000;3444520 said:
    I'd say that doing them properly is worth some sort of recognition - maybe like the trophies involving upstrumming on bass...
    Well, on The Beatles: Rock Band, there are 3 trophies you can earn by hitting all the hammer-ons and pull-offs without strumming on certain songs on expert.

EDIT: Oh, I think I see what you are saying. You mean recognition for hitting them as real hammer-ons and pull-offs instead of just tapping.