Progressive Death Metal Bands

deevineh8treddeevineh8tred Road Warrior
edited January 2010 in Your Ultimate Setlist
I need to play some Progressive Death Metal. The obvious necessity for this game is Opeth. They my favorite band of all time and they would be great for the game (this opinion is shared by many others) Also, another great band would be In Mourning. Most people haven't heard of them, but for fans of the genre, check 'em out and have a listen. Definitely an amazing band. Add any Prog Death bands to following list:

Progressive Death Metal
Opeth
In Mourning
Ghost Brigade
Textures

please add your contributions, comments, opinions...

Comments

• Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    Between The Buried And Me
    Cynic
    Atheist
    Death

That's all I've got for now and forgive me if these aren't Progressive Death Metal bands as I find genres to be pointless.
  • deevineh8treddeevineh8tred Road Warrior
    edited January 2010
    Mega-Tallica;3435771 said:
    Between The Buried And Me
    Cynic
    Atheist
    Death

That's all I've got for now and forgive me if these aren't Progressive Death Metal bands as I find genres to be pointless.
    those work for me. any form of death metal would be nice. i wouldve added btbam to my own list but we already have them so i decided to leave 'em out; however, more would be nice. and why are genres pointlesss?
    edited January 2010
    deevineh8tred;3435785 said:
    those work for me. any form of death metal would be nice. i wouldve added btbam to my own list but we already have them so i decided to leave 'em out; however, more would be nice. and why are genres pointlesss?
    Well, I find subgenres to be pointless, especially for metal. Metalcore, groove metal, melodeath, prog metal, whatever, I just call them all metal. I find there's no need to break every band down to figure it what subgenre they belong to. It also causes huge arguments when bands are incorrectly "labeled".
  • edited January 2010
    I'm very much in favor of all of these, especially Opeth and Cynic. I think these bands will have to be convinced to get involved in RBN for them to be in the game, though.
    edited January 2010
    Der_Lex;3435801 said:
    I'm very much in favor of all of these, especially Opeth and Cynic. I think these bands will have to be convinced to get involved in RBN for them to be in the game, though.
    Touche to that.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited January 2010
    Any of the bands listed in the following Prog Metal/Death Metal thread would be great:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154061

Cynic is by far my most wanted though~
    edited January 2010
    Der_Lex;3435801 said:
    Akerfeldt said that he would be open to being in the game if approached during an interview i saw. Opeth is in saints row 2 and god of war 3, so i'm hoping it's just a matter of time.
    edited January 2010
    jayou521;3435806 said:
    Any of the bands listed in the following Prog Metal/Death Metal thread would be great:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154061

Cynic is by far my most wanted though~
    Oh, I forgot Scar Symmetry. :o

Shame on me for that, they're melodeath though, not prog death. But, either way, they'd be awesome.
    edited January 2010
    Mega-Tallica;3435816 said:
    Oh, I forgot Scar Symmetry. :o

Shame on me for that, they're melodeath though, not prog death. But, either way, they'd be awesome.
    for sure, melodeath is my second love next to prog death. can't wait for dark tranquillity's new one next month.
  • edited January 2010
    deevineh8tred;3435809 said:
    Akerfeldt said that he would be open to being in the game if approached during an interview i saw. Opeth is in saints row 2 and god of war 3, so i'm hoping it's just a matter of time.
    Trust me, I know about the first part... it's something I've brought to HMXHenry's attention myself in the past (he's a fan of Opeth's earlier work, not sure if he likes the later albums too). I didn't know about them being in the other two games, so let's hope that gives them enough exposure to be approached for RB.
    edited January 2010
    Der_Lex;3435839 said:
    Trust me, I know about the first part... it's something I've brought to HMXHenry's attention myself in the past (he's a fan of Opeth's earlier work, not sure if he likes the later albums too). I didn't know about them being in the other two games, so let's hope that gives them enough exposure to be approached for RB.
    awesome!
  • caspian88caspian88 Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    Death and Atheist would be instant purchases for me - probably any song by either of them (maybe even Fractal Point).
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Der_Lex;3435801 said:
    this scares me. Im becoming increasingly worried that the new standard channel for getting music into RB from "underground" artists--or indie, or non-mainstream, or whatever you want to call it--will be through Rock Band Nation. Sincerely, it feels like whenever people discuss one of these bands--and you can dispute their status as underground as much as you want--for DLC, the knee-jerk reaction is "well maybe we'll get them through RBN". As a Playstation user, this angers/frustrates/scares the sh!t out of me.

Is HMX going to give up pursuing such artists through regular DLC channels and just go after the "big names" once RBN is launched?

And before someone links me to the RBN FAQ thread, I've read and understand it. The suggestion out there seems to be that RBN will effectively displace regular DLC when it comes to indie/underground/etc.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited January 2010
    Dante1847;3436373 said:
    this scares me. Im becoming increasingly worried that the new standard channel for getting music into RB from "underground" artists--or indie, or non-mainstream, or whatever you want to call it--will be through Rock Band Nation.
    Well, that is sort of the purpose of the whole thing, after all. It does suck for PS3 users right now with the way it's going to be structured, but I would be willing to bet money that Sony/HMX will somehow work out the Rock Band Network store. Plus, you still get to receive some of the RBN songs via PSN, albeit you don't get to select which ones will initially transfer over.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited January 2010
    Oscar-Rio;3436379 said:
    Well, that is sort of the purpose of the whole thing, after all. It does suck for PS3 users right now with the way it's going to be structured, but I would be willing to bet money that Sony/HMX will somehow work out the Rock Band Network store. Plus, you still get to receive some of the RBN songs via PSN, albeit you don't get to select which ones will initially transfer over.
    my understanding of RBN was that it offered an opportunity for rising bands to submit their music for inclusion to spread their name. now I'm seeing established names like Spock's Beard and The Main Drag out there. it makes you wonder how HMX is categorizing bands for regular DLC and for RBN. it's the whole principle of the matter that bothers me, since what is considered "underground" and "mainstream" is largely subjective. Yet that seems to be the main criterion for how music becomes a candidate for RBN or regular DLC
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited January 2010
    This thread is in need of Gojira, Edge of Sanity, Amorphis, Cormorant, Gwynbleidd, and Augury.
    edited January 2010
    Mystlyfe77;3436584 said:
    This thread is in need of Gojira, Edge of Sanity, Amorphis, Cormorant, Gwynbleidd, and Augury.
    nice additions, especially, gwynbleidd (not sure how i forgot them), edge of sanity, amorphis and augury. give seen gojira a few times and they arent terrible, just too much lamb of god-esque groove for my liking. their emphasis on tapping totally redeems the groove quality tho.
  • SchmealSchmeal Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    The bands not yet mentioned that I would like to see are Burst, Nevermore, and Novembers Doom (maybe not exactly "death" metal but all extreme metal bands with heavy progressive elements to them) .
  • azaraxzealotazaraxzealot Unsigned
    edited January 2010
    Don't forget "The Faceless"/"Gojira" :P
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited January 2010
    Schmeal;3436657 said:
    The bands not yet mentioned that I would like to see are Burst, Nevermore, and Novembers Doom (maybe not exactly "death" metal but all extreme metal bands with heavy progressive elements to them) .
    I wouldn't call any of them death metal, so I didn't mention them. I do enjoy Burst and Nevermore, though.
  • DrewLee865DrewLee865 Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    Anata
    Atheist
    Death
    Lykathea Aflame
    Supuration
    edited January 2010
    azaraxzealot;3437529 said:
    Don't forget "The Faceless"/"Gojira" :P
    the faceless would be incredible to have and if i started a technical death metal thread they would be the first band i list. i f-ing love the faceless.
    edited January 2010
    deevineh8tred;3439148 said:
    the faceless would be incredible to have and if i started a technical death metal thread they would be the first band i list. i f-ing love the faceless.
    Spiral Architect is also technical metal, probably one of the most technical bands I've ever heard, but however, they aren't death metal. They'd be cool to have nonetheless.
    edited January 2010
    Mega-Tallica;3440402 said:
    Spiral Architect is also technical metal, probably one of the most technical bands I've ever heard, but however, they aren't death metal. They'd be cool to have nonetheless.
    never heard, im gonna check 'em out now
    edited January 2010
    Mega-Tallica;3440402 said:
    just checked 'em out...musicianship=amazing.
    edited January 2010
    deevineh8tred;3440770 said:
    Pretty much what I thought when I first heard them
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited January 2010
    deevineh8tred;3440770 said:
    Be sure to check out Spastic Ink as well, really solid band. I'm down for some Progressive Death Metal, Death and Atheist are among my most wanted bands.
    edited January 2010
    LegendofRock3021;3440803 said:
    Be sure to check out Spastic Ink as well, really solid band. I'm down for some Progressive Death Metal, Death and Atheist are among my most wanted bands.
    will do thanks for the recommendation
  • Johnny StaccatoJohnny Staccato Rising Star
    edited January 2010
    LegendofRock3021;3440803 said:
    At the risk of derailing the thread...

Ron Jarzombek, the guitar mastermind behind Spastic Ink, has DLC coming out on RBN from two of his other projects, Watchtower (who was Spiral Architect's primary influence) and Blotted Science. I'll be playing those on no fail first chance I get!!
  • LegendofRock3021LegendofRock3021 Nice Doggy
    edited January 2010
    Johnny Staccato;3441512 said:
    At the risk of derailing the thread...

Ron Jarzombek, the guitar mastermind behind Spastic Ink, has DLC coming out on RBN from two of his other projects, Watchtower (who was Spiral Architect's primary influence) and Blotted Science. I'll be playing those on no fail first chance I get!!
    Yeah, Watchtower is an awesome band and I played a part in choosing some of their songs for RBN. I'm praying those songs make it to PS3, we'll see what happens.